Bakery Next Door

Bakery Next Door

A/N: Hello, readers this we’re going to have to pretend again Irene bakes, so I could convert this fic, but I find the idea of childhood Seulrene being next door neighbors super cute, add that with a bake sale thing going on and you’ve got some fluff overload. Please enjoy

 

 

Nine-year-old Kang Seulgi had never spent much time talking to her new neighbor Bae Joohyun. Although, the family had been in the house next door to them for a few months now. She just hasn’t been able to really get to know the Bae’s daughter. For the most part Joohyun doesn’t seem to leave the house, and when she does see her. She’s going to school, or places with her mom. Seulgi thinks it would be nice to talk more to her, as her mother has told her that she and Joohyun are the same age. It would be great to have a same age friend who lives next door. Joohyun is really nice though, because every morning she sees her she will wave and say hello. Seulgi will politely wave back as she too gets on her way to her own school, but it’s still not enough.

 

Just when Seulgi thinks they may never speak. It all changes when one afternoon Joohyun is outside on her lawn with a stand. It’s not a typical juice stand. It’s a dessert stand that has an array of desserts laid out on a large white table. Seulgi’s interest is piqued because she’s never seen so many desserts at once.

 

“Mom, can we go see what Joohyun has over there?”

 

“Okay, baby let’s go.” Her mother nods, and they make their way over. When they get there Joohyun smiles right away. Seulgi has thought she resembled a cute bunnyand with her adorable cheeks, and big brown eyes, it definitely enhances that.

 

“Hi, Mrs. Kang, hi Seulgi.”

 

“Hello, Joohyun.” Seulgi’s mother smiles back, and Seulgi can only manage a small hello in return.

 

“Joohyun would you like to tell Seulgi-yah and I about your dessert stand?”

 

“Sure, I’m selling desserts so that I can save up money to buy myself a karaoke machine.”

 

“Oh, so you like music. Seulgi, you like music too, don’t you?” Her mother is trying to help, Seulgi can see that. If they can find something in common to discuss, then they could start a possible friendship here.

 

“Yes.” The monolid girl nods from behind her mother. Well, mostly behind her mother as Joohyun can still see her face. She notices that perhaps Seulgi is just shy. She gets that, as she is shy around new people too. Joohyun offers another smile to the slightly taller girl.

 

“Hey Seulgi, would you like a brownie or some cookies? They’re really good.”

 

Seulgi nods, then reaches into her school bag for some money. Joohyun notices that too, but doesn’t want for her to pay.

 

“No, don’t worry about it. Have one,” She offers a brownie, and Seulgi can hardly believe it. How is Joohyun just offering her a dessert for free? Isn’t the whole point to make money? How can she make money if she doesn’t charge everyone.

 

“No, I’ll pay.” Seulgi lets her know. “You made them right?”

 

“My mom helped me out a lot, but please have one. It’s on the house alright?”

 

“Um, on the house?” Seulgi blinks, confused. How can the desserts be on the house, when they’re on the table?

 

“Oh, sorry. It’s an English expression, it just means I want you to have it, okay.”

 

Seulgi’s mom thanks Joohyun, but of course gives her some money anyway. Seulgi waves to her and thanks her again just before entering her own house. When she bites into the sweet, chocolate brownie that smells really good. She can’t believe how good they taste. Joohyun is her age, how did she make these taste so good. Seulgi doesn’t even step foot in the kitchen unless it’s to get something out of the refrigerator or pass items to her mother.

 

Seulgi thinks that Bae Joohyun is amazing.

 

The next day Seulgi notices again Joohyun still selling her desserts. She decides to be brave today and goes to talk to her. She has to wait a bit because some of their neighbors are there already. They are buying all types of slices of cakes, cookies, and tarts. Seulgi can’t blame them when she knows for sure that everything has to taste great. Seulgi must be spacing out because Joohyun is calling her.

 

“Seulgi, hi good afternoon.”

 

“Oh, hi Joohyun.”

 

“Did you like the brownie?”

 

“I did, it was really great. Can I please have some cookies?”

 

“Yes, of course. Do you want chocolate chip or sugar?”

 

Seulgi decides on the chocolate chip cookies, and just as she is trying to hand over the money Joohyun declines again.

 

“It’s fine. I don’t want you to pay.” She smiles.

 

Seulgi really doesn’t understand though. How can Joohyun still not want her to pay?

 

“No, I have to pay. They taste so good and it’s like stealing if I don’t.”

 

The shorter girl pauses. Seulgi is really so nice, and she wishes that they could have become friends before now, but it’s not too late to change that. They can certainly become friends right now.

 

“Okay, thank you, Seulgi.”

 

“You’re welcome, Joohyun.” Her hands touch during the exchange, and both girls look away with slightly red cheeks. They turn back to each other when they are sure neither of them are blushing.

 

“Um, so did your mommy teach you how to bake?” The monolid girl questions.

 

“Yeah.” Joohyun nods. “I’ve learned a lot of what I know from baking with my mom. But I want for my desserts to taste as great as hers one day.”

 

Seulgi is now at a lost for words. Joohyun’s desserts are so great. If she’s worried about being as good as her mom, then that means her mother must be an excellent baker.

 

“They already taste good.” Seulgi mumbles.

 

“What?” Joohyun blinks, not hearing her.

 

“They already tastes good though, Joohyun.” Seulgi says louder, her eyes forming crescents as she smiles. The smile of hers makes Joohyun freeze under the adorableness of the cute girl across from her. Now that she really looks at her. Seulgi resembles an cute teddy bear. Everything about her face reminds her of a bear, from her round-shaped ears, button nose, and monolid eyes. She’s probably without a doubt the cutest girl that Joohyun has ever seen.

 

“T-thank you.” Joohyun whispers.

 

“You’re welcome. I should go now because I have HW to do, I’ll see you Joohyun.”

 

“Bye, see you!” The shorter girl waves excited. She looks forward to seeing Seulgi tomorrow too.

 

 

At home, Seulgi looks through her piggy bank. She has been really good lately about saving her money. When normally she’d use her allowance for snacks or pokemon toys. Now, she wants to save her money so she can buy Joohyun’s desserts.

 

“Seulgi-yah, what are you doing, kiddo?” Her dad asks when he notices his daughter looking almost frantically through her piggy bank.

 

“I’m just making sure I have enough allowance to buy desserts from Joohyun.”

 

“Ah.” He nods in understanding, then reaches into his pocket for his wallet. He hands over some extra money for her, although she has already received her weekly allowance.

 

“Here you go, princess. We can’t have you running out of money for something this important, right?”

 

Seulgi nods eagerly, thanking her dad with a huge hug. She appreciates how he right away understands. She can’t run out of money because she likes Joohyun and her desserts are amazing. Also, it’s for a good cause Joohyun wants to buy a karaoke machine. Seulgi doesn’t care if she has to spend all of her allowance to make sure the cute girl can get her karaoke machine one day. Then, maybe one day they can sing music together.

 

When Seulgi gets over to Joohyun the next day, as she looks forward to seeing her. There is one of their neighbors, a boy named Suho and he seems to bothering her. Joohyun looks pretty uncomfortable over there, so without thinking twice Seulgi hurries over.

 

“Hey, leave her alone.” Seulgi moves to stand in between Joohyun who is slightly shorter than her, and the boy Suho who is somewhat taller than she is.

 

“Hey, what’s your problem?” Suho asks her.

 

“Don’t pick on her, that’s what you were doing right?” Seulgi can feel Joohyun touching her arm, like she is really glad to see her right now.

 

“I wasn’t bothering her, right Joohyun?”

 

She doesn’t answer him. She’s just really glad that Seulgi is here, because Suho was actually bothering her. He was trying to get her to give him desserts for free. The only person she had ever considered giving anything to free to is standing right in front of her.

 

“Leave or I’ll get Tiffany-unnie!” Seulgi mentions her older friend who is 13 years old. Tiffany isn’t afraid of anyone, boys included, but they are definitely scared of her.

 

“Oh, um….Tiffany-noona?” He looks nervous.

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi nods. “And you know she’ll bring Sica-unnie, Taeng-unnie, Hyo-unnie, Sooyoung-unnie and all of the other unnies!”

 

“Um, okay nevermind. Sorry, sorry.” He repeats and runs off fast. Seulgi laughs at how scared he was. She’s also never been more grateful she knows so many nice older girls. She turns around to Joohyun to make sure that she’s okay..

 

“Are you..”

 

Before she can finish asking if she’s okay. Joohyun is hugging her tightly.

 

“Joohyun?”

 

“Thank you, Seulgi.”

 

“Y-yeah of course. Are you okay though?”

 

“I am now. I was done here anyway, would you like to come inside for juice, oh and my mom made food.”

 

The monolid girl nods, since she is really hungry but not before telling her mother that she’ll be next door with Joohyun. Her mother right away tells her that it’s fine and she should go have fun. Joohyun takes her by the hand and they go inside her house. They are greeted warmly by her parents first, and the two go to her room. Seulgi has never seen so much purple in her life, everything in here is practically purple. From the blankets on her bed, carpet, and wallpaper.

 

“So do you like purple or…”

 

Joohyun lets out a laugh at her question. Seulgi is really so cute.

 

“Yea I love purple, what’s your favorite color?”

 

“Orange.” Seulgi admits without any hesitation. She’s always liked the color orange, but even still her room doesn’t have as much orange as Joohyun has purple. The two end up spending what feels like hours, talking, playing video games, and eating snacks. Seulgi finds out their birthdays are only 1 month apart. She finds out that Joohyun is a definite genius with an honor roll status, and that she has lived in Daegu for some time before moving here to Seoul.

 

“Don’t laugh, but I really like helping my mom with the laundry and learning to ironing clothes. I’m really good at it, and I haven’t burned myself not once.” Joohyun hopes Seulgi won’t laugh when she reveals her talent. A lot of other 9-year-olds aren’t bragging about being able to do laundry or ironing well. Joohyun is surprised by Seulgi not laughing, but being encouraging.

 

“Wow, you’re really amazing, Joohyun.”

 

That’s when the shorter girl feels her face heat up. She thinks Seulgi is the amazing on. She’s so nice, sweet, and she’ll never forget how she stood up to Suho for her. Not in a million years will she forget Seulgi pretty much coming to her rescue.

 

“I...I think that you’re the amazing one Seulgi. I’m glad that we could be friends now.”

 

“Me too.” Seulgi assures. “I hope we always stay friends, Joohyun.”

 

“We will. I know we will.”

 

 

One day Joohyun isn’t at her bakery stand, but her mom is taking care of it for her. Seulgi hopes everything is okay, because it’s odd to not see  there.

 

“Mrs. Bae, is Joohyun okay?”

 

“Hi, Seulgi-yah. Yes she’ll be fine. She’s caught a bit of a cold, so she’s inside resting.”

 

Well that doesn’t sound good at all. Seulgi’s mother makes an amazing soup when she doesn’t feel well. Maybe she can ask her mother to make some right now. She hurries inside to her mom, who looks up concerned to see how on edge her daughter seems.

 

“Seulgi, what’s wrong baby?”

 

“Mom, Joohyun is sick. Can we make her some of your good soup you always make me?”

 

“Of course we can sweetie, don’t worry. Let’s go okay.”

 

Seulgi helps by just passing all the correct ingredients that her mother needs. She doesn’t want to do something wrong and make Joohyun worse somehow. She does watch everything her mother does though, and hopes one day she can learn herself. In case Joohyun ever gets sick again she can make the soup for her. When it’s done the soup smells really delicious and Seulgi could honestly have a bowl right now. However, it’s Joohyun she’s really worried about. She can eat some later on. Her mother helps her to place it into a thermos.

 

“Tell, Joohyun-ah that I hope she feels better.”

 

“I will, thanks mom.” Seulgi, then wastes no time in getting next door. She says hi to Joohyun’s dad then runs up to her friends room. She knocks on the door just in case she is sleeping.

 

“Come in.” She hears, a small groggy voice that definitely sounds like she isn’t well. Joohyun looks super tiny underneath all of her blankets when she sees her. In turn the shorter girl looks really surprised to see Seulgi here.

 

“Seulgi, hi. What are you doing here? You could get sick too.” She sounds more worried about Seulgi getting sick than anything else.

 

“No, I’ll be okay, I won’t stay long. I just wanted to see how you were doing. My mom made soup, don’t worry I didn’t help.” She smiles, and that’s all it takes for Joohyun to smile back.

 

“Thank you, that’s so nice. Please tell her that I said thanks.” Despite how sick she feels. Joohyun is really glad to see Seulgi, who tells her all sorts of funny stories about her school, and also her three friends Yeri, Joy, and Seungwan. They all sound really scary actually, especially Yeri and Joy, but the way that Seulgi speaks of them, like they are the greatest people. Joohyun thinks that they would have to be, because Seulgi is so wonderful.

 

“I don’t want to sleep.” Joohyun admits groggily. Her eyes closing every so often. The monolid girl can see she is actually really tired. She gets up and pulls the covers over her more.

 

“You should rest, Joohyun. I want you to get better again.”

 

The shorter child knows that, but if she sleeps, then how will she be able to keep talking with Seulgi. Joohyun really likes talking to Seulgi. It’s one of her most favorite things to get to do, and she looks forward to all their conversations.

 

“I want to talk to you more.”

 

“You can talk more when you feel well again, okay. Get some sleep, Hyun.”

 

“Alright…” the shorter girl lets out a yawn and does close her eyes soon. Seulgi smiles, because a sleeping Joohyun is a cute sight to see.

 

“Feel better, Joohyun.”

 

 

Luckily it takes about a day or two and Joohyun does feel better. She is back to running her stand, and as always desserts are selling fast. She even had to get a bigger jar to collect her money, but that doesn’t surprise Seulgi. The monolid child stands there checking her pockets. She has enough so she happily waits in line for the chance to buy something. When she gets there Joohyun is already smiling at her.

 

“Hey Seulgi, what will it be today?”

 

Seulgi thinks she must have tried everything by now. What else could she possibly try? Joohyun notices that she is thinking.

 

“Hey, so how about my newest thing I made. It’s a chocolate and banana tart. It’s really good, my mom and I tasted.”

 

“Okay, here.” She hands over the money to her, but Joohyun declines again. Seulgi blinks confused.

 

“Why won’t you take my money?”

 

It’s very simple why Joohyun doesn’t wish to take her money. First and foremost Seulgi is her friend. Secondly, she really likes the monolid girl, a lot and it doesn’t feel right to take money from someone she cares about.

 

“Because we’re friends, Seulgi. I don’t want to take your money.”

 

Seulgi just furrows her brows in confusion, looking so adorable to the smaller girl.

 

“If you don’t take my money, then how will you get your karaoke machine. If you don’t get my money?”

 

That’s what Seulgi is worried about? She’s thinking of when Joohyun mentioned that she was saving up to get her karaoke machine. Honestly, she is surprised that Seulgi even remembers.

 

“You’re thinking about my karaoke machine?”

 

“Yea, that’s what you were saving up for right?”

 

“It is, but I can still get the money to save for it, and my parents will help with the rest. Seulgi, I won’t take your money, but you can take this dessert.”

 

Seulgi nods, but the second Joohyun is talking to another neighbor. Seulgi places her money down in the jar. Joohyun deserves to be paid for her desserts. They are great and worth all of her allowance. She doesn’t stick around because there are a lot of people waiting to buy stuff. She goes to her own house, as she really should be doing HW, unfortunately. The monolid girl goes to her room and puts on Beyonce music as it helps keep her pumped enough to actually get work done, it also makes her want to dance. Which can distract her from finishing, but she tries her best to stay focused. Only when Single Ladies come on, all thoughts of homework go out the window.

 

She dances to Single Ladies, with her homework still in her hand as she has done many times before. She misses the knock at her door though, and she hears someone clapping.

 

“What?”

 

“Hey, I didn’t know you could dance so well, Seulgi.”

 

“Joohyun!” Her eyes go wide and she immediately stops dancing, falling back into her chair like she’s doing homework. “Yeah, homework.” She gestures to her homework. Wendy lets out a giggle though, yeah, Seulgi is the cutest person she has ever met.

 

“You like Beyonce?”

 

“I love her. She’s my idol!” Seulgi answers excitedly.

 

“I think she’s great too.” Joohyun agrees. “Hey, so I was wondering if you wanted to have a sleepover this weekend, at my house? I asked your mom, but she said I never have to ask at all for us to hang out.”

 

“Sure, I’ll be there.”

 

“Great, it’ll be fun. We’ll watch a lot of movies, and eat so much food and snacks. Maybe, I could show you how to make some cookies.”

 

“Sounds wonderful, Joohyun. Do you want me to bring anything?”

 

“No, but you can do me one favor?”

 

“Sure, anything.”

 

Joohyun nods and places Seulgi’s money back into her hand. The monolid child just blinks.

 

“What?”

 

“I told you I wouldn’t take your money, Seulgi and I meant it.”

 

“How?”

 

“Someone in line saw you put your money in the jar. It’s very sweet Seulgi, but I don’t want it.”

 

“It doesn’t make sense. You’re like having a bakery right next door, and I should pay you for your hard work.”

 

“You’re my friend Seulgi, and that’s payment enough for me.”

 

“I….”

 

However, Joohyun leans forward and kisses her on the cheek. Seulgi’s face explodes red and she just sits there stunned for a long while. Joohyun can only smile at her expression.

 

“Um….” Seulgi blinks.

 

“You’re really so cute, you know that?”

 

“No, I don’t know that.”

 

“Well, you are. Don’t give me any more money, when you’re enough okay.”

 

All Seulgi can do is nod and thank Joohyun who doesn’t need any words to understand why she is thanking her. Just them knowing each other is enough for the two of them, and Seulgi is really fortunate to have someone like Joohyun who lives right next door to her. She hopes that they will always be together, somehow.

 

“Thanks, Joohyun.”

 

 

Bonus:

 

 

23 year old Kang Seulgi enters her favorite bakery, it’s always packed no matter what time of day it is. But she waits in line like everyone else, people around her are talking about how delicious everything is here, and how they will probably have sugar induced comas but it will be worth it. Seulgi agrees and she has money in hand already to go.

 

“Hi, Welcome to….” Joohyun pauses, and smiles when she sees it’s Seulgi.

 

“Babe, what are you doing standing on line? You know you could just come in here anytime.”

 

Seulgi knows that she could definitely just come into Joohyun’s bakery anytime without an issue. They’ve only been dating forever it feels like, but it’s been a really great forever so far.

 

“You’re worth standing in line for.”

 

When Seulgi says that, it  makes several people go aww in the crowds. Joohyun jjust tries her best not to blush.

 

“Thank you, so what will it be?”

 

“I’d like a box of your red velvet cupcakes.”

 

“Sure, I’ll box them for you. Is there some sort of occasion going on that you forgot to mention to me?”

 

“No, just felt like some cupcakes today.”

 

The dark-haired woman nods and soon hands her over the box. Seulgi tries to hand her the money, but of course she doesn’t take it.

 

“Sweetie, for the last 14 years you’ve been trying to give me money, and I still give it right back to you.”

  

Seulgi decides now is as good as anytime to make an announcement, possibly one of the biggest ones of her life.

 

“Guys, this incredible, amazing woman right here will never allow me to pay her for her desserts. But, maybe she’ll take something else from me.”

 

Joohyun is super confused, but Seulgi simply takes her hand and urges her to come around from the counter. She does, still not sure what is going on. Seulgi leaves a kiss against her hand then smiles.

 

“Joohyun, you are and will always be the best thing that has ever happened to me. You’ve been my best friend, my support, my caretaker in a lot of cases, and you never let me pay you for all your hard work, taking care of me included.”

 

Joohyun smiles back, it’s not a job for her taking care of the woman she loves.

 

“I take care of you Seulgi, because I love you. But what is going on?”

 

“I just have one thing I can give to you now, so please don’t give it back to me, okay.”

 

“Sure, but…”

 

Seulgi takes out a ring box and Joohyun’s eyes go wide in a minute. Everyone is just watching with bated breath as Seulgi gets down on her knee.

 

“I don’t want to spend another moment without calling you my wife. It’s all that’s missing for me. I love you with all my heart, baby will you marry me?”

 

Joohyun can’t even help the tears strolling down her eyes and nods. “Yes, of course yes, Seul.”

 

The whole audience around them just breaks out into applause at the sweetest proposal that could possibly happen here. Joohyun hugs her tightly the minute Seulgi gets up.

 

“I love you, and I will never, ever give this ring back to you.”

 

Seulgi nods against her. “Well, you wouldn’t take my money. So I had to think of something you’d take and never return. I love you too, Hyun.”

 

They seal the engagement with a kiss, and even if there is a steady building crowd around them. None of that matters, all that they can recognize is one another and this moment. They said they would always be together and now they most certainly will.

 

A/N: Sooooooo this is so damn sweet I seriously can not! And will recover with a bunch of super depressing goth/alternative music to get my head right lol. I am not kidding, mostly. I hope this was fine to read. I did enjoy writing this no matter how sweet it is, it’s a good sweet though. If I could have someone who baked living next door to me I’d marry them in a minute! Anyway, hope you all enjoyed this.