Mamihlapinatapai

MAMIHLAPINATAPAI
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie Kim was supposed to be sleeping now. After all, it was already past midnight. But she just couldn’t. Thoughts invaded her mind and all these memories were just too much for her to bear. She just had to get out.

 

She decided to take a walk on the beach. All the lights were out and even if she was practically blind at night, taking a walk was still the best option.

 

She took off her sandals and just felt the sand tickle her toes. She shivered as the cool waves kissed her feet. She breathed in the salt in the air as it touched her skin. She missed the sound of the waves which used to wake her up in the mornings and send her dreamland at night.

 

For a second, she regretted leaving the place. But as soon as all the memories came flooding her thoughts, she knew that she did the right decision to leave. The pain was just too much to bear.

 

Now, she was questioning why she came back. She shouldn’t have. Perhaps she should leave now before someone stops her.

 

“You seem to be deep in your thoughts.” A manly voice said. She recognized that voice. It might have been 5 years since she last heard that voice but she could still recognize it. His voice was enough to send shiver down her spine.

 

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be sleeping by now?” Jennie asked. She tried to adjust her vision but it was no use. Not being able to see him comforted her in some way. She just couldn’t see him because even if 5 years had already passed, she just couldn’t face him straight in the eyes.

 

“I should be asking you the same question,” Kim Hanbin replied. “What time did you arrive? I didn’t see you earlier in the rehearsal dinner. Are you here just for the wedding or you’re back for good? How have you been?” He asked.

 

“Wow, you sure do have a lot of questions.” She replied, not answering even one of his questions.

 

“Could you blame me? You’ve been gone for 5 years! And you didn’t even try to communicate with anyone of us… not even telling us where you were or why you left. What happened? I thought we were friends.” He said, obviously hurt.

 

‘Yes. We were friends. And that’s all we’re going to be. That’s why I had to leave.’ She said to herself. Good thing those words didn’t come out of .

 

She tried to calm down and control her emotions. She took a deep breath before she answered him.

 

“I told them, you know. Why I left… where I went… How did you think the wedding invitation got to me? The girls know where I was.” She said. She realized she had said too much but it has been 5 years already. And she was leaving again after the wedding anyway.

 

“Then why didn’t you tell me? Why am I always been the one kept in the dark?” He asked, trying hard to hide the pain in his voice. He wasn’t the type to voice out how he feels.

 

“You’ve changed. A lot. You’ve never talked this much or revealed how you feel before.” She observed.

 

“I’m not the only one who changed a lot—you did too. You’ve never been late before… always replied to our messages… always update your facebook page… always smiling. Ever since we started this conversation, a smile never even crept on your face. You look like you’re in so much pain right now,” He told her as he stared straight at her eyes, making her look away. “What really happened? I… I just want to understand.”

 

“You know. We better go back inside. We have to up early later for the wedding. Jisoo eonni and Bobby oppa are going to be disappointed if the maid-of-honor and the best man will fall asleep during the ceremony.” She said as she tried to evade his question. She turned her back to leave but he grabbed her wrist.

 

He stared at her, communicating only through their eyes. He sighed deeply before he let go of her wrist.

 

“Okay. Okay. I won’t pry. But can we just sit here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter