Journey

Phoenix and Peacock

"Stay back!”, JR walked in front of Ren, stepping towards the monster called Cho’gath. As he was about to shoot out his feathers for attack, Cho’gath lets out a feral scream at JR. JR could immediately feel his magical power drained, disabling him from shooting out feathers. Cho’gath took the advantage and leaps forward, trying to pierce through JR’s wings with his claw. As JR is struggling to stand up, a shadow flashed in front of him, “Back off Cho’gath!”

 

Ren flies at Cho’gath and dashes down the ground at where Cho’gath is. To JR’s surprise, Ren’s dash knocked Cho’gath up, making it lose its balance. Seeing the opportunity, JR jumps up and unleashes his feathers from his wings, piercing through Cho’gath's figure. He then agilely pulls all the feathers back onto his back, reforming his pair of wings, piercing through Cho’gath again. Heavily damaged, Cho’gath glared at the pair and crawled back into the deep forest. JR flashed a smile at Ren, “Thanks for saving me.”

 

Ren smirked back at JR, “No problem, I said I like you. Now that you see how helpful I can be, let me travel with you!”

 

JR hesitated for a moment, having a quick flashback. For years, he roamed through the most fortified bushlands and villages, completing different missions and seeking revenge for his kind. He has been growing stronger but so have his enemies. He survived traps and ambushes but sometimes those are close encounters. Having no family, he knows he can pay any cost as long as it restores the good old days where Vastayans could live peacefully without having to put on a constant camouflage. Coming back to reality, he then shook his head. “No it’s too dangerous, don’t come with me.” And turned his back from Ren.

 

“But you could have died just now!” Ren yelled at JR.

 

JR paused his walking, Ren is right. Without him, he could have died just now. He has been through a lot alone, of course not without obstacles. At times he would get heavily injured and needs to rest for a long time. Thanks to the phoenix blood flowing in him, he can heal slowly on its own, but it would still take him quite a bit of time to recover fully. Seeming to read his mind, Ren said softly, “I still have other abilities that you are yet to discover. Let me come with you for a bit, if by 2 months you still don’t want us to travel together, I’ll leave.”

 

JR turned back at Ren, and gave him a nod. Ren cheerfully hopped to JR and held his arm, “yay you’re the best!”

 

JR shrugged his shoulders, “do you want to find somewhere safe that we can spend the night though? Maybe find a tall enough tree?” Ren nodded and they began wandering deeper into the secluded forest.

 

JR hasn’t spent time with a fellow Vastayan in a long time, especially one that also has a pair of wings. Although they are of different bird species, the presence of feathers still warms him up like the presence of his old day friends. He has of course run into different Vastayans from time to time. But with Vastayans’ nature of hating conflicts and politics, more and more just live in disguise or live as nomads. Seeing how they are living as if they are criminals on escape, JR becomes more and more determined to step up for his kind and restore the glory of Vastayans.

 

But sometimes, fighting on his own does get a bit lonely.

 

Glancing at Ren, who seems to radiate positivity from within, he finds it mysterious how one can be so breezy when he is all alone. He wonders how the trial period of 2 months will go, as him and Ren seem like the exact polar opposites, right from the contrasting colours of their feathers to their personalities. Having a closer look of Ren, he doesn’t seem to be able to find a single flaw on his face. His lashes are long, complementing his large watery eyes well, his nose bridge straight and his lips, his lips are just aggravatingly alluring. He looks so perfect as if his face has been carefully crafted just like a sculpture.

 

“Hey”, Ren pulled JR back to reality, “Stop drooling over me, although I know it’s normal for people to drool over me”, he grinned at JR. JR raised his eyebrow at the flamboyant response, “Confident much huh?” But being caught studying Ren’s features, JR awkwardly tries change the topic, “how about that tree?”

 

Ren unsuspectingly looked at the direction where JR is pointing and nodded, “yeh that looks good”, he then hopped up the at-least-20-feet tree easily with the aid of the lift from his tail and wings. JR studied the density of the branches and decided it’s no good for him to fly straight up, he then followed Ren but despite having the agility of a bird Vastayan, he still finds himself nowhere as mobile as Ren is. He sat down on the branch next to where Ren sat, “how do you jump up the tree so easily? You can't even fly that well.” He glanced at Ren's wings which are smaller than his pair.

 

“Look, I dance for living, and there are still a lot about me that you’re yet to find out”, Ren smiled at JR. It is difficult for JR to believe how cheery Ren always looks. He couldn’t help but smile back at Ren, feeling Ren’s happiness infecting him slowly. Seeing JR smile for the first time, Ren felt a weird rush of satisfaction. Under the starry night sky, they sat by each other, resting for another day of adventure. They both know they still don’t understand each other well, but being an unorthodox pair, they know they sure can add unusual colours into each other’s life.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I know the concept is slightly unusual(?), so here are a Q&A section to questions you might have!:)

 

Q: So what do the "Vastayans" really look like? Do they look more like human or animal/creature?

A: They have a "normal" form that they are most comfortable in according to their culture. So with JRen, they look like normal human except their feet are claws, and they have a pair of wings and feather ears peeking out, just like this pair that inspired me in LOL. But they can basically change their appearance according to how they like, despite that uses their magical powers and makes them feel uncomfortable. Others might have more animalistic/human appearance, but I'll describe as they make their grand entrance! (Yes don't worry Minhyun Baekho Aron will appear too!)

 

Q: What are their weapons? When you say "shooting out feathers", does that mean the feathers are not part of their body?

A: I know it's an odd concept to get around with, but the feathers are part of their body despite being "removeable". That's why JR can recollect his feather after he shoots out his feathers. It's magic you know;)

 

Q: JR is a phoenix Vastayan, does that mean he never dies?

A: Vastayans are basically human-creature hybrids, so they kinda get the best of both, but also the worst of both. Phoenix Vastayans have self-healing/healing abilities, but it's weaker than a phoenix's, so no, they are not immortal.

 

Q: What are their abilities?

A: Keeping reading and you'll see;)

 

Q: Who is dom?

A: JR:D

 

Q: What other pairings are there?

A: I kinda can't decide if I want AMin or Baekmin...comment below and I might take your advice!;)

 

Q: How long will this fic be?

A: I'm thinking about 10-15 chapters long, not too long, not too short.

 

Q: Will there be ?

A: I'm thinking about it...but I want to write too XD it's just that my writing is slightly cringy hahahaha

 

Q: How often will your updates be?

A: The more comments the more often:D but fastest one day, slowest maybe 1 week, but I'm fairly free these days so updates should be quick heheh

 

If you guys have any other questions feel free to ask in comments section and I'll answer!:)