Little Red Riding Hood & Baby Wolf

Little Red Riding Hood & Baby Wolf

It was a beautiful sunny Sunday morning. The bird jolly singing on the tall tree branches, soft wind and rustle of the leaf accompanying the nature orchestral masterpiece. It was indeed a picture perfect day. But not for Gowon. She was in deep slumber, thinking about her beloved chicken nuggets when she felt a thud on her bed. She grunted in annoyance but went back to the dreamland with little to no effort. Then she felt another thud, once, twice. The disturbance became more frequent and each time she felt the thud on her bed became stronger. Gowon finally gave up on sleeping when cracking sound came out from her bed.

 

She jolted awake in surprise, her twin tail in shambles as she rubbed the sleepiness away from her eyes, her eyes blinking rapidly adjusting to the sudden brightness. When her eyes finally weren’t too blurry, she saw her cousin Yves. Yves kicked her bed one last time for good measure before she finally stopped. Her cousin had her hands on her hip, feet stomping impatiently. Gowon was taken aback by Yves appearance on her room because as far as she remembered it was a Sunday, a day where Yves supposed to let poor Gowon sleep in peace and stop tormenting her for at least once during the week. Gowon frowned in annoyance, a pout on . She huffed and puffed and was about to complain to her cousin when Yves cut her off.

 

“Before you start whining, auntie sent me to wake you up.” Yves said with a smirk on her face.

“Why tho?” Gowon need a good reason to be awoken so abruptly on her precious day off.

“She said something about delivering food to your grandma.” Yves rubbed her own chin.

“Where is my mom? She usually do that, not me.”

“Your mom is off on some village meeting, she asked me to watch the house.” Yves said with a shrug.

“Man, what a pain. Why don’t you do it? I’ll watch the house.”

“She’s you grandma! Do you want her to starve to death? It that it Park Gowon?”

 

Well, it was true that she was Gowon’s grandmother from her father side of the family while Yves was from her mother side of the family so that would make them distant relative, or maybe not related at all. Honestly Gowon doesn’t know. But Yves know her grandma enough to deliver food for her right? Gowon couldn’t see why Yves won’t do it.

 

“That’s why I’m saying you should do it!”

“No! Your mother specifically asked you to do it so you would get out of the house for once. Get some exercise while you’re at it. Get ready, I’ll prepare the food basket downstairs.” Yes made her way out of Gowon’s room.

“Ugh...” Gowon grunted as she fell back to her bed. The soft pillow hitting against her head made her yawn. She snuggled closer to her pineapple stuffed toy to get comfy. Gowon was about to fall back asleep when Yves came back and kicked her bed again with an unamused expression.

“Oh My God! Okay, okay! I’m up already! Spare my bed will you?” Gowon growl in annoyance while Yves just stared down at her, making sure that Gowon was really up before going downstairs.

 

After about thirty minutes, Gowon was finally ready. With a grumpy face she headed downstairs to see Yves sweeping the living room while humming. Gowon saw a basket of food covered with red and white checkered fabric on top of the dining table, a baguette was slightly peeking out from the cloth covering it. Gowon saw a sandwich served on a plate next to the basket, she assumed that was her breakfast. Gowon was not hungry yet so she decided to took the sandwich with her and perhaps eat it later that day. She wrapped the sandwich and put it inside the basket along with food for her grandma. She took her red cloak that her mom made for her and wear it protect her sensitive skin the sun. It was probably because she barely go out, thus her skin was not used to sunlight and got sunburned easily. She said a quick bye to Yves who yelled at her to be careful, take some sort of road and wild animal. Gowon was not listening.

 

~ LOOΠΔ ~

 

Gowon had walked about a kilo away from the border of her village, she was met with two road ahead of her. Gowon scratched her head in confusion, not knowing which road to take. Why couldn’t they make her life easier and put some sort of sign or something. Gowon was thinking about going back and asking Yves but she didn’t want to walk so far back. She had visited her grandma a few times before, but she was always with someone else that know their way around. If she remembered correctly her grandma’s place was only two more miles away, at the border of the neighboring village. It was probably okay to take which ever road, she would eventually reach the village anyway. Or maybe just ask a passerby if she was on track. Unfortunately there was no one in sight at the moment, so with determination and what was definitely recklessness Gowon took the path on the right, dragging her brown boots with a sigh and already missing her bed.

 

“I just want to get this over with.” She said as she follow the path.

 

Gowon had walked for another kilo, and her feet are aching like crazy. She might even got blister from this. She hadn’t walked for this long in years. Gowon dragged her feet another few hundred meters before she decided to rest on a nearby riverbank. She took off the hood of her cloak, as she sit under a tree. She started to look around the unfamiliar area getting a bit anxious. She didn’t remember a river on her previous journey to her grandma’s house. And she also realized that there aren’t supposed to be this many huge tree at the road to her grandma’s. She ruffled her hair in frustration after realizing that she was lost. She was thinking of backtracking but to be honest she don’t even remember which turn she took as the road keep branching out a few times. She must have took one or several wrong turns on the way, who knows really, because Gowon really have no idea. All she know was that she was utterly ed.

 

Just as she was about to throw a tantrum and clown herself for being lost in the middle of a forest, her stomach growl loudly. Gowon stopped and looked at the basket that she has been carrying. She remembered the sandwich that she packed earlier. For once in her life she would like to thank her annoying cousin, Yves. Gowon unwrapped the sandwich eagerly and took first bite of the sandwich. It was ham and cheese sandwich with plenty of vegetable. On normal days Gowon would spit out the sandwich and took out the veggies but she really don’t care for now. All she know she could be stuck in this forest for days. At least she have food and some water. They will find her right? She was kinda worried about her grandma starving to death but that probably won’t happen right? Thought keep popping out of Gowon’s brain as she savor the sandwich slowly. She had always been a slow eater but it was okay because her legs also need some rest.

 

Gowon was so preoccupied with herself that she hadn’t realize that someone or something had been watching her since she entered the forest, Gowon’s red cape and blonde hair were hard to miss. The creature’s furry ears perked up, listening to Gowon’s grumble and mumble. It sharp deep brown eyes looked at Gowon’s every move, like watching its prey. Their fangs were slightly visible through slightly parted mouth, breath calm and quiet. The creature carefully maneuvered thru the bushes without making any sound to not startle the human that they had been watching. They were still watching the human when a rustle was heard next to them. They immediately turned to the source of sound, fangs showing, and a low growl from their throat. A creature with a pair of long white ears peeked their head out from the bushes.

 

“Heejin…” The creature said in a low whisper.

“Hi Olivia.” Heejin said with a beaming smile.

“Don’t show up like that.” Olivia said with and unamused frown.

”Did I scare you?” Heejin questioned with a slight giggle.

“No…” Olivia muttered, clearly annoyed.

“Aw… Baby wolf is scared.” Heejin teased Olivia, poking Olivia’s cheek.

 

Olivia growled in annoyance, her growl was a lot louder than before. Heejin stepped back in shock, though she soon smile sheepishly, as if apologizing to Olivia for teasing her too much. Olivia just went back to observing Gowon, but to her surprised Gowon was running in a haste, leaving her basket behind. She must have heard Olivia’s growl and went into panic. Olivia came out from hiding to chase after Gowon as soon as she saw the direction Gowon ran to, leaving a taken aback Heejin near the riverbank. Olivia was fast, really fast. Gowon huffed and puffed, her lungs were on fire but she refused to stop running as she felt that her life is in danger. Gowon was being hunted and she hoped she could out run whatever it was that chasing her.

 

Gowon could feel her hunter getting closer as seconds goes by. Gowon slowed down as her whole body was on fire, her breath rugged and heavy. She felt like she was about to pass out. It was at times like this that Gowon regret being wimpy, she should have worked out more. Gowon kept slowing down but whatever was chasing her never lost their speed. Her hunter was near, dangerously near. Gowon didn’t dare to look back, afraid of what was waiting for her. She kept on running even though her legs going to give up soon. The land suddenly dipped, Gowon gained too much momentum and almost fell down, and she soon saw that she was running out of land. A cliff was ahead of her.

 

“Watch out!” a voice behind her exclaimed.

 

Gowon tried to stop, but she fell and her body rolled down. This was it, she was about to fall off the cliff. Olivia ran faster, jumping down the slope in an attempt to get to Gowon. Gowon felt her body dipped, she was falling down. Gowon closed her eyes, terrified as her life flashes before her. She was about to accept her fate when she felt her arm being grabbed tightly. Gowon opened one of her eyes to look up. The sun was glaring but she saw the silhouette of a girl. The girl reached out her right hand to Gowon, while still struggling to pull Gowon up with her left.

 

“Give me- your other hand.” She said with struggling voice.

 

Gowon quickly grabbed the girl other arm. She braced herself before pulling Gowon with all her might, face red, her veins showing as she pulled Gowon out of the cliff with a heavy grunt. Gowon tried to lift herself up too, looking for footing on the cliff wall. After much struggle the mysterious stranger managed to pull Gowon to safety. They both collapsed to the grassy ground, heavy breathing and still high with adrenaline. The tree leaf and orange hue of the evening sky seems blurry on her sight, tears of relief and fear well up on her eyes. Gowon heard a sigh of relief beside her, the grass rustling as her savior got up. Gowon wiped her tears with the sleeve of her shirt, and tried to get up. It wasn’t as easy as she thought as her legs gave out, and with a thud she was back to the ground. Her legs felt like jelly, she was still shaken up from her near death experience. The stranger offered a hand to Gowon, Gowon looked up to be met with the most intense brown eyes she had ever seen. Chills going through her spine as her their eyes met. She was beautiful. Very beautiful. Her feature were sharp and angled, which made her look a tad angry but her eyes were filled with genuine worry which made Gowon think she wasn’t a bad person. She was wearing white shirt and skirt which was sullied by dirt, most probably from the chase earlier.

 

The stranger suddenly looked down, as if avoiding Gowon’s curious eyes. She could have sworn she saw a slight blush on the other girl. Gowon then slowly reached for the girl’s hand, which was still waiting for Gowon’s grasp. She helped to pull Gowon up but Gowon flinched, a sharp pain on her right ankle made her grasp it with her hand, hoping it would ease the pain. Olivia looked at Gowon’s red and swollen ankle with a worried face. She kneeled down offered Gowon her back. Gowon was hesitant, but Olivia had insisted. With ease Olivia carried the smaller Gowon on her back. As Olivia begun to walk them Gowon noticed something at the top of Olivia’s head. It was fluffy, black, the same color as Olivia’s hair and triangular shaped. With curiosity Gowon’s poked the thing a few times. It flinched. Gowon cleared before she asked the burning question, not being able to contain her curious nature.

 

“Um, miss?” Gowon started timidly.

“…Yes?” Her voice was small.

“What are those?” Gowon asked.

“Those?” She could hear the confusion in the girl’s voice.

“This.” Gowon asked again while poking the said thing. It flinched again.

“Oh, those are my ears.”

“Your ear?” Gowon asked, dumbfounded.

“Yes, those are my ears. I’m a wolf.”

“Oh…” Gowon managed to say before she passed out.

 

~ LOOΠΔ ~

 

Gowon woke up from someone shaking her body harshly. She let out an annoyed groan as she opened her eyes. She was surprised to see her friend Chuu, who is a local hunter looking at her with teary eyes. She absolutely have no idea how Chuu become a hunter, since she probably couldn’t even hurt a fly. Chuu gave her a bone crushing hug, squeezing the air out of Gowon’s lungs. Gowon taped Chuu furiously as she ran out of air. Chuu hastily let go of Gowon followed with an apologetic smile. Gowon looked around her to find that she was already out of the forest, and her basket of food was beside her, the baguette still peeking out. Strange, as far as she remember she was with that mysterious girl before she passed out when she found out that the girl was a wolf. Gowon’s face stiffen, was that a dream?

 

“Chuu unnie.” Gowon called softly.

“Yes Gowon?”

“How did I get here?”

“What do you mean? I found you here. You were unconscious. I was worried sick about you. Thank God you wake up. What would I say to Yves unnie if something were to happen to you?” Chuu started to baby her.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Chuu then examined Gowon’s body with frowned eyebrow and a pout.

“No, I’m fine.” Gowon said with a serious expression on her face. But she couldn’t hide the swollen ankle from Chuu.

 

Chuu was worried sick and she won’t let Gowon walk alone. Chuu ended up walking Gowon to her grandma’s place, supporting Gowon along the way. It was almost dark when they reached grandma Vivi’s place. Her grandma was shocked to see Gowon’s tattered clothes and dirt covering her body. Vivi freaked out when she saw Gowon in that condition. Vivi end up dragging Gowon to bathe and get cleaned up while checking for any injury just like Chuu did a while ago and putting compress to the swollen ankle. It was dark when Vivi finished tending to Gowon. Gowon and Chuu end up staying the night at Grandma Vivi’s place because Vivi won’t let them travel so late and she was still worried about Gowon.

 

Gowon was sleepless that night, despite how tired she was. She engulfed herself under the soft fluffy blanket warmth. Usually Gowon wouldn’t have any problem falling asleep, but her mind won’t stop racing. The tossed and turn for a good one hour with no result at all, in fact it made her more restless. Gowon stopped to lay on her side, eyes boring at the dark corner of the semi familiar room that she stayed at a few times over the years. She keep on staring at that one spot, barely blinking, and her mind flashed to the mysterious dark haired girl. She couldn’t stop thinking about her, was that even real? The girl said she was a wolf, but beside the suspicious ear the girl was very much human like. Maybe it was a dream after all? Her internal debate continued for a while. The room was quiet save for Chuu’s soft breathing who was sleeping at the top bunk.

 

Before she even knew it, the sun was already rising and Chuu waking up with a soft cute yawn. Chuu got down from the top bunk to greet Gowon with a blinding smile. Gowon only smiled back weakly, feeling very tired and dizzy from the sleep deprivation. Not even a minute after, Vivi was knocking at their door, checking whether they were up or not. Gowon spaced out all morning, her mind was mostly still occupied by the self-pronounced wolf girl. Vivi and Chuu were getting more worried when Gowon didn’t even touch her food during breakfast.

 

~ LOOΠΔ ~

 

Gowon walked alongside Chuu, who had a tight grasp of Gowon’s hand with one hand and the other had was carrying a big axe that was slinging on her shoulder. Gowon ankle was better, slightly uncomfortable but bearable. It was quite surprising how fast it heals, maybe it was thanks to grandma Vivi special compress made from herbs or something, Gowon absolutely have no idea what goes into it. They walked hand in hand as Chuu guide them back to their village where Yves and Gowon’s mom was probably waiting for them. It took them about two hours to reach the village by foot. It was quite a long walk but it was surely a lot faster than yesterday when Gowon got lost. Gowon was met with her mother scolding and Yves worried face. Her cousin could be a bully from time to time but Gowon know that Yves actually care about her. As Gowon received scolding from her mother she saw a blushing Chuu talking with Yves from her peripheral vision.

 

~ LOOΠΔ ~

 

Gowon was home alone, her mother had left to the market and Yves was probably off somewhere with Chuu. Gowon was instructed to never ever go to the woods on her own again. Her mom said she almost had a heart attack when Gowon didn’t came back in time for dinner yesterday, and apparently so was Yves. Gowon tried to nap but of course she failed miserably because she kept thinking about wolf girl again and again. It was getting very repetitive and frustrating to think about. And so for the first time in years, Gowon had decided to venture outside the house according to her own will. Gowon put on her most comfortable boots, not forgetting to bind her ankle with bandage to give it some support. It turned out as well as it could be as Gowon isn’t very good with her hands. The bandage was a mess but at least it support her ankle and that was enough. She put on her favorite red cape, it was a bit dirty because of her fall yesterday but Gowon doesn’t mind.

 

~ LOOΠΔ ~

 

Somehow Gowon made it back into the forest where she got lost yesterday, she was in the same spot where she ate her sandwich yesterday in hope that she will ran into wolf girl. Her ankle wasn’t holding up as good as she hoped for, it was quite painful but she was too far ahead to go back. Gowon practically limp her way into the forest. She looked around but was only greeted by silence. Gowon searched around the area, dragging her injured leg with her. She managed to walk for another five minutes before she sat down on the ground, grasp ing at her ankle with a scrunched face and sweats dripping from her forehead. Gowon undo her boots, and saw her bandage had loosen around her ankle. Gowon untied the bandage and tried to fix the binding but the pain was too much for her to handle and she let out small whimpers. Her eyes watered from the painful sting from her injured ankle.

 

Gowon heard rustles from the bushes a few meters away from her, catching her attention. To her surprise the girl that she had been looking for emerged from the said bushes. She was wearing a different clothes, still a white shirt but different skirt, a green checkered one. And it was clean, unlike the sullied white clothing from yesterday. Gowon looked at the girl in awe, thinking to herself the she wasn’t dreaming and the wolf girl was real. Gowon was nervous when the wolf girl approached her, her movement were careful, as if she was asking permission from Gowon to get close. Their eyes locked with each other, Gowon shivers from the stare the wolf girl was giving her. Her eyes were sharp but her stare was gentle, a duality which Gowon can’t really explain. The girl grabbed Gowon’s feet gently, proping it up on her lap. She took off the bandage, inspecting Gowon’s swollen ankle with a slight frown.

 

“You shouldn’t have walk so far…” The girl said with low voice, just a tad above whsiper.

 

Gowon blinked a few times, staring at the side of Olivia’s head in wonder. Olivia neatly re wrapped the bandage, doing a far better job than Gowon. She was really gentle, not letting Gowon felt any pain or discomfort as she fixed the bandage. At the end she neatly tie each end of the bandage into a ribbon, turned into triangular shape as she concentrate. Gowon could feel her heart swoon from how nice the wolf girl was being to her. She felt her already warm cheek heated up even more. She clasped the palm of her hands to her cheek to cool down and hide the rosy complexion from the girl in front of her. Her heart was erratic, her stomach scrunched form the nerve but a sudden urge of bravery came to Gowon out of nowhere and she did something unbelievable.

 

“My name is Gowon. What’s your name miss wolf?” Even Gowon herself was shocked at how bold she was being.

 

The wolf girl glanced up at her, her ears flopping down timidly. Gowon swore she looked like a lost puppy, she had to bite down her lips to prevent squeals to come up from throat. Miss wolf girl was surprisingly very cute and shy despite how intimidating she looked at first.

 

“I’m Olivia…”

 

She said in a small cute voice and Gowon once again had to resist the urge to jump Olivia and just hug her. Olivia shifted her glance, feeling shy as Gowon kept staring at her intently. Gowon swore she saw pink tint on Olivia’s cheeks. Olivia got up, her back facing Gowon as she hide her embarrassment. Gowon had just notice the tail that wags abruptly from Olivia’s behind. Gowon clasped her hand to as she squeal with glee. Olivia was not was she was expecting at all, she exceed yet break all of Gowon expectation of her, but in a good way. Olivia ears perked up, hearing weird noises coming out from Gowon. With a concerned face Olivia turned around, she thought that Gowon might be making that noises because she was hurt.

 

“Umm, are you okay? Are you in pain…?”

 

Gowon paused her fangirling and froze awkwardly, she tried to put a blank face and pretend that she hadn’t been thru emotional breakdown caused by cuteness as she cleared . Olivia sitting was on her knees if front of Gowon. She looks hesitant and nervous, her tail wagging left and right in a slow rhythm. Gowon looked at Olivia, waiting for the other girl to talk.

 

“…Why did you come back?” Olivia asked, her voice still small and timid.

 

Gowon contemplated for a bit weather she should tell the truth or just made something up, she thinks there’s no need for her to lie so she told Olivia the truth.

 

“I wanted to see you Olivia.”

“You do..?” Olivia asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, I do!” Gowon said with confidence.

 

Olivia tails wags faster, she must have been happy Gowon thought. Gowon crack a smile when she sense that she made Olivia happy.

 

“I wanted to see you too… I wasn’t sure you would come back though.” Olivia said as she looked at her side, too shy to talk face to face with Gowon.

“Why would you think that?” Gowon was genuinely curious.

 

Olivia’s ear flopped down, her tail limp on the ground. Gowon heart dropped at the sight.

 

“Well… I’m a wolf so everyone is afraid of me. Human usually ran and never comeback when they saw me while screaming that I’m a monster.”

“You are not a monster!” Gowon said immediately.

“But, you passed out when I told you I’m a wolf…” Olivia grumbled, but Gowon heard it.

“I’m sorry. I was just surprised. But now that I’ve meet you again I’m sure you are a nice wolf.” Gowon felt guilty, but she said the last sentence with a reassuring tone.

“…Really?”

“Yeah!” Gowon grab a hold of Olivia’s hand, clasping it onto her owns.

 

Olivia face was straight, barely any expression on it but Olivia ears perked up and her tails wagging very fast. Gowon could tell that Olivia was actually over the moon, the wolf was mostly stoic but her ears and tail does help Gowon a lot.

 

“Will you be my friend Olivia?”

 

Gowon asked with a warm smile. Olivia was flustered, she stayed quiet for a moment before nodding her head slowly. They talked after that, it was mostly Gowon who talked and Olivia just listen with interest, asking question to Gowon once in a while. Gowon never thought she would be having so much fun in the middle of a forest but she was and it was because of a certain wolf girl. Olivia showed Gowon around her forest while giving Gowon a piggyback because she doesn’t want Gowon to hurt her ankle more than she already has. Olivia ended up carrying Gowon out of the forest and back to the border just outside Gowon’s village when it got late. Olivia was careful about being seen, she didn’t take the road but walk alongside the rows of tree that can keep her hidden. Olivia put Gowon down when they finally arrive some hours later. Olivia must be exhausted, but she didn’t show it to Gowon. Gowon gave Olivia a thankful smile which Olivia replied with an awkward smile. Gowon laughed at Olivia’s stiff expression, her melodious laugh made Olivia beam with happiness and slightly embarrassed.

 

“I’m not good at smiling.” Olivia said in her cute small voice.

“It’s okay, we can practice together.” Gowon said while making a fist with her hand as an encouragement.

“Can I come to see you?” Olivia asked shyly, her tail wags restlessly.

“Yeah, of course. I’ll come to see you too.” Gowon answered without a second thought, her voice filled with excitement.

“Is anyone there?” A voice suddenly called out from the other side of the trees.

 

Gowon looked at the direction of where the voice came from with panic, she looked back to Olivia to see that she was already gone. Gowon limped her way to the other side of the trees to see Chuu with her huge axe resting on her shoulder.

 

“Gowon? What are you doing here?” Chuu questioned, her face was scrunched up with confusion.

 

Gowon looked back to where Olivia was before and saw Olivia was hiding behind a tree, her index finger on her lips as she gestured to Gowon with her trademark straight face. Olivia quickly hide when Chuu was about to look at where Gowon was staring. Chuu looked back and forth in question, then snapping her fingers at Gowon to try and make Gowon to pay attention to her. Gowon snapped out of it, laughing awkwardly.

 

“Are you okay Gowon?” Chuu voice was full of concern.

“Yeah, I’m okay. I was just taking a walk.”

“With your leg like that?” Chuu inspected Gowon’s ankle.

Gowon laughed awkwardly.

“Dumbo, let’s get you home.”

 

Chuu helped Gowon to get home, and Gowon was all smiles on the way. She couldn’t wait to see cute little wolf again soon.


A/N : I’m sorry it took so long. I was only free on Sundays and it took longer than I anticipated because I haven’t written for so long. I hope this turned out okay. Thank you for reading. I might expand this in the future, not sure though.