reality check

the way things change

-"do you ever regret us?" 

That question is the one that has been wandering on her mind for a period of two long minutes. It has been two weeks since she accepted appearing on this show with the one and only Jennie Kim, her dear ex girlfriend, the one who is looking right at her with that piercing cold stare while sitting on the garnet armchair in front of her. 

After years of being members of the musical quartet Blackpink formed by the famous Yang Hyunsuk, Jennie and Jisoo shocked the entire nation by confirming the pictures of them together taken by the atrocious normalized stalking website Dispatch. The disappointment from everyone was palpable. Soon after, the group had been blacklisted from tons of tv programs and even music shows unable to perform, they lost themselves in a sea of despair. The hostile environment affected them in ways no one could tell, being outed and discriminated against was not a nice feeling, it tore them apart but the members still stayed close to one another even after the disbandment.

Jennie and Jisoo continued their relationship fighting the stereotypes and discrimination and inspiring many members from the lgbt community to do the same, to come out and let their voices be heard. During the years they didn't only receive the support of lgbt fans who looked up to them but they also received calls from other idols, like Holland, Red Velvet, Twice, and even more who tried to approach them up and understand their situation.

Years after, unexpectedly the bittersweet couple broke up surprising the south korean nation once again, nobody til this day knows why. Not even the other blackpink members, nor parents, managers, nobody knew. That's why they are reunited today, March 21th, 2026 to put the pieces to together and to give an explanation to the public.

It would be a lie to say they were both excited for this moment, the interactions between the two were awkward to say the least, they even felt forced. The presence of the other, brings memories that was something Jisoo was well aware of seeing Jennie hurt. A lot. She was convinced that no matter how many years pass, a part of her will always love her past fellow member.

The pause felt too long, Jennie was starting to get annoyed. After hearing the instructions over and over again from the staff about how to act, the staff even gave them the questions they should be asking each other but that didn't erase the uneasiness or Jisoo's lump in . It should be easy, easy money she thought. It really should had been easier.

Do you ever regret us?”

-“Jumping straight into it, uh”.- Jisoo mumbled.- “I didn't, I never did and I don't think I ever will, you were a really important part of my life back in the day, I even considered you... the love of my life, you know”.- Her voice was still shaky. She couldn't stop shifting uncomfortably on her chair.

 

- “I know this is awkward and all that but I still want us to be completely honest” .- Jennie responded, the anger in her eyes was gone and all that was left was anxiousness. Maybe my eyes, were cheating me but I swear I saw a brief side smile.

 

- “Don't worry, I am so tense that I can't even crack a joke. It has been so long ”.- Jisoo admitted nervously laughing while fixing a few strands of hair.

 

- “You're not the only one” Jennie said after a chuckle “I'm glad we can talk after all this time, a lot has changed, actress kim jisoo”.

 

Taken aback I quickly asked.-“ Have you seen my last kdrama? I know you're not a huge fan of them but since you just joked about it.. I,”

 

-”I watched it. I promised a while ago don't you remember? I, Jennie Kim, must watch every drama were Kim Jisoo is in or takes part in, no matter how small the role is”.- Jennie interrupted .- “You know i never break my promises, right?”- Jennie answered smiling and with a mocking tone.

 

-”Thanks! I really appreciate it. It has been a while, uh . I have listened to your new album, pretty cool I must say, rapper Jennie has always been really cool not that your singing isn't cool, you know what i mean right uh yeah and your dancing too I- ...”

 

-”Jisoo you're rambling”.- Said Jennie between laughs, an eyes mile was even starting to appear and her strong rapper persona was starting to fade showing the jendeukie I missed and loved.

 

Don't be fooled the tension was still there, the situation was still nerve wreaking and Jisoo was still out of it, her behavior reminded of a much younger and immature Jisoo. Meeting her ex was not as easy as she thought it would be, the plan was to talk for a few minutes and get her money. Easy, right? Unfortunately, Jennie is still as beautiful as she remembered, no matter how many years pass Jennie Kim will always be the most good looking woman she has ever seen. And that was not helping her at all, her feelings were still there and they coming out. To say the least she was basically ed, because Jennie still could read her very well after all this time. Yep, she was ed.

 

-” So... ready for the next question?”.- I asked after a few seconds of silence and making eye contact. I carried on once I saw Jennie nod - “Alright! Um, what was the first impression of me and what's your favorite moment between us?.- I finished giving her a brief smile.

 

Of course Jennie received the easy ones, she has always been the lucky one within our group except that one time we appeared on running man, it's still funny to me she was adorable but I still made fun of her once we arrived to the dorm

 

- “Well when we first met I instantly liked y- “.- Jennie started explaining

 

- “Oh wait, oh God you hated me the first time we first met! I still remember that look of pure disgust, Jennie! You looked at me like as I was a goldfish with a horrible diarrhea, I swear...”.- I interrupted her, laughing for trying to change the story so it can be cuter and more cliché

 

- “No I did not! and also stop I truly didn't! I wasn't that mean”.

 

- “Yeah you did”

 

- “No, I didn't”

 

Jisoo's smug smile, made Jennie finally admit that in fact, she was the one in the wrong. Yes, after all these years, Jennie Kim was still whipped for Kim Jisoo.

 

- “Well I kind of did you were out there looking like a rich white kid who supports capitalism and yg entertainment's way of promoting idols.”- Jennie smiles at the memory and even chuckling at how pretentious she used to be when she was younger.

 

- “Don't even try to shift the blame on me! That just reminded of the 2016 elections and the fact that we spent 2 years without having a comeback... I'm disgusted now, thanks”.

 

 

- You're welcome! But all jokes aside, I used to dislike you at first that's true but after watching you dance I thought you were cool”.- Jennie stopped for a second, doubting how to explain herself. - “after we really really talked while bathing together, I swear I fell in love with you a bit”

 

- “Just a bit?”- Jisoo answered hiding her real feelings of nostalgia and sadness under a complacent smirk, after all she wasn't called one of the best actresses of korea for nothing.

 

- “Okay, maybe I was head over heels for you, already.”- Jennie finally admitted, the famous singer had always been unable to lie at her past lover no matter what situation, seems like that has not changed

 

- “Now that seems more like it”.- Jisoo replyed, looking the ground after giving Jennie a soft smile.

 

It has been a few hours since they started filming yet the staff didn't show any signs of tiredness unlike the ex couple, who were exhausted emotionally. Being on the same room together brought them a lot of memories, they didn't want to recall. The fights, the missed chances, the pain, the betrayal. To everyone in that room their feelings were transparent, to everyone except for the pair.

 

A member of the staff suddenly yelled “last question of the day”

 

Shall I ask you the remaining question then?”- A small smile adorned her features

 

Yeah”.- Jisoo expressed, faking nonchalance to put on a facade once again, she didn't want her to know she was anxiously waiting.

 

Why haven't you been in a relationship after our breakup?”- Jennie finally asked, looking right at her with a different look. A gaze she hasn't received today, in the couple of hours they have been filming. To say the question surprised Jisoo would be an understatement, she went blank the pressure was still too much and she really didn't want to mess up in front of everyone, yet somehow she couldn't come up with a perfect answer. After a few minutes filled with a pregnant silence, Jisoo gathered the confidence and answered.

 

-“You know why.”

 

The same staff yelled once again “It's over for today, thanks for your hard work!”

 

Was it too short of an answer? Was it too hard to read? Maybe, but Jennie seemed content enough with the answer the older woman gave her pleasing her with a soft gummy giggle. After thanking the staff for a long day of filming and receiving their pay checks from their managers, they slowly left the building. Just before the exit, Jennie grabbed Jisoo's hand and turned her around, she asked the real final question of the day, the one she was hoping it would come out but in the end, it didn't.

 

Jisoo,.... are you really happy?”