the problem with change

we keep wasting colours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

—will be edited soon.

 

Song Yuqi isn’t particularly the biggest fan of living in a boarding house. There’s the little things that frequently piss her off like waiting in a line-up for bathroom usage, hearing a racket upstairs  at six am in the morning because that’s when Miyeon has decided is the best time to do yoga, or listening to the aftermath of Hoseok’s dates after they come in late at night, but the little things will never outweigh the most essential aspect. Taehyung is here so she has no other option but to stay.

 

”Hey Yuqi,” Taehyung says while unceremoniously walking into her room and taking his usual position upon her newly made bed.

 

She’s not the biggest fan of shut doors, since it creates a barrier between her and everyone else. The precise reason why Taehyung loves to keep his door firmly closed (and at times locked) and has a strict knock before you come in policy, but he never seems to hesitate to come into her room unannounced and take a seat somewhere.

 

”What's up?” she replies in the middle of folding a couple of heavy sweatshirts since summer was already here, there was really no point in keeping them out. This is the last thing she needs to finish before she can indulge in breakfast which her stomach has been yearning for since she woke up thirty minutes ago.  

 

He’s staring at her too intently, constantly shifting his feet, and she detects a hint of reluctance and nervousness in his expression. She recognizes this look.

 

“What?” Yuqi asks, placing a couple of neutral coloured articles of clothing in a plastic bag. Music is playing softly in the background and he hasn't even commented on the volume which is quite alarming since he usually loves badgering her to blast the songs up the first moment he enters her room.   

 

“Um well,” he begins on an uneasy note. The gears in his head are loudly shifting around, trying to determine the best way to do this.

 

”What is it?” Yuqi furrows her brows because Taehyung's beating around the bush which means two things. Either he has done something gravely wrong and is reluctant to confess it or someone has wronged her.

 

”Don’t get mad, but. . ,” he trails off, carefully analyzing her face for any changes in her facial expression. All she really looks like is befuddled with a tint of impatience.

 

”What did you do?” Yuqi glances up suspiciously. This wouldn't be the first time he accidentally angered someone and needed her to placate them except this was nine-twenty am on a weekend.

 

Taehyung likes staying in on weekend mornings. He also enjoys watching Netflix at nine o'clock sharp while devouring a plate of scrabbled eggs soaked in ketchup and pepper.  

 

”It’s not what I did,” he emphasizes in his typical Taehyung fashion with slowly drawled out words, emphasis on the syllables to ensure the least amount of blame gets put upon himself when he’s not guilty, ”so don’t shoot the messenger.”

 

Yuqi halts her progress in folding and focuses her entire attention upon him. Her eyes meet his. 

 

Taehyung breaks his silence and says it as if he's ripping off a band-aid. ”Hoseok stole the last piece of the lemon and raspberry tarts I bought you on Thursday.”

 

Her jaw drops and she splutters out words laced with shock and venom. ”He’s frickin’ dead to me.”

 

Once more, her food that has been clearly labelled with her name in large letters using thick black pen has been stolen from her by another selfish thief with the inability to control their appetite. Yuqi has chastised Hoseok multiple times on multiple occasions that her food is off-limits. It's really not that difficult to comprehend.

 

And then Yuqi starts to feel mournful, because she was saving the very last piece for this Saturday morning which is typically when Shuhua and Jungkook experiment with the kitchen. Now she describes it as experimenting because during their adventures of trying to cook, they usually burn an entire meal or two or making something so salty that no matter how many litres of water you try to dilute it with, you'll still taste the salt.

 

"I guess I'm not eating breakfast today." She sits down on the floor in utter defeat, quietly debating whether there's still leftover icecream from Friday (even though she recalls Soojin drowning her sorrows while consuming it after a nasty breakup).  

 

”Don't worry. I snuck us some burritos from the Mexican place down the street a little while ago." Taehyung pulls out a brown paper bag out of nowhere, opens the crumpled top, and she's hit with a delicious scent of cheesy goodness, seasoned chicken, and beans. Her usual order.   

 

There are many people who manage to get on her nerves or make her lose faith in the human race. And then there’s Kim Taehyung, the person she can invariably count on even in the most ridiculous of situations like the time she was wasted, got on stage, and forgot the entire chorus of a song during karaoke night. He claims that he hates seeing her distraught or upset, so it’s basically programmed in his brain to find a solution.

 

They have a rather simplistic kind of friendship. She’s there for him, ready to help anytime he needs it, and he’ll do the same for her. He's a little lousy with timing though, but Yuqi supposes that it's his part of the dorky side of his charm.

 

"Kim Taehyung, you are actually my life saver." Yuqi takes her familiar spot beside him, crossing her legs together.

 

"Yeah, yeah," he casually brushes off while handing her a wrapped burrito.

 

”But don’t get any sauce on my—“

 

”New covers,” he finishes. “I won’t, trust me.”

 

 

 

 

Now Yuqi prides herself in her ability to be an extremely punctual person. She's never submitted her rent pay late or ever failed to come on time to any of her classes or meet-ups with friends. Unfortunate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter