Holding On

Of Holding On and Trying Once More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan woke up to an empty bed again, Sehun’s side of the bed unoccupied - its warmth gone. Luhan sighed. It’s been happening for weeks now. Everyone might think that Luhan should be used to it by now but no, he isn’t. Luhan has been in a lovely relationship for 8 years with Sehun and that is what makes it difficult for him to get used to to the treatment he’s been receiving from Sehun.

 

He doesn’t know what’s wrong with him, but lately, he gets irritated easily. He always find himself in an argument with Sehun about things they didn’t really fight before or care about. He always shout at Sehun, he always push him away, he is acting like a child throwing tantrums and he doesn’t even know why. He doesn’t want to act that way but he can’t control his emotions. And maybe that’s why Sehun started to become distant and give him the cold shoulder.

 

Luhan would be lying if he said it doesn’t hurt, because it does. And it was foolish of him to do so but Luhan started making himself believe that Sehun is just busy with work that’s why he always wake up early (even though Luhan knows he isn’t - he’s checking with Sehun’s secretary from time to time). Sometimes that trick works, sometimes it doesn’t. But even after all of this, Luhan still bear in mind that there was no third-party involved.

 

Luhan trusts Sehun and he knows that the latter isn’t cheating and won’t cheat on him. Sure, he had came home drunk for a couple of times these past few weeks but he doesn’t smell like a woman - he reeked of alcohol, yes but not with some woman’s scent. Another thing that supports his claim is that Sehun, unlike the cheating husbands in the dramas Luhan had watched, wasn’t always on his phone and smiling when his phone beeped. He was always in his study room with the door left ajar, typing on his keyboard - not noticing the lingering and longing gaze Luhan directs at him.

 

Their relationship has taken a great shift, not for the better though. Something about their lovely and seemingly perfect relationship has changed. Whatever that is, he isn’t sure of. But he knows that the adoration in Sehun’s gaze is slowly dissipating, the sparkle his eyes have whenever he looked at Luhan slowly dimming. The affection in his touch is slowly fading, the warmth his hands used to have now gone and was replaced by nothing but coldness. The I love you’s that were whispered to his ears like a mantra before are now not a constant thing, they are rarely said in fact. The soft smile that will linger on Sehun’s lips whenver Luhan’s eyes fluttered open during an early morning is now also gone. Sehun became hostile and it’s making Luhan afraid of what will happen next.

 

Luhan has a bad feeling that all of these are a head start of something that’s inevitable. Something painful. Something that will crash his world, break his heart and mar his life. Something that will eventually make him as good as dead. Their break up. The thought of it is already making Luhan’s heart shatter, what more if it is happening already? If it was up to Luhan, he won’t let Sehun go but Luhan isn’t that selfish. If being free from Luhan is what will make Sehun happy, then he will gladly set him free. If being somewhere without Luhan will make Sehun finally breathe, he’ll gladly walk out of his life. As long as Sehun is happy, he’ll be too.

 

Feeling the insides of his stomach churning, Luhan quickly dashed towards the bathroom. He opened the lid of the bowl and as if on cue, he started throwing up. He felt someone rubbing his back soothingly - Sehun. When he feels like he had thrown up every contents of his stomach, Luhan quickly flushed the bowl’s content and stood up. He went straight to sink and gargled with their peppermint mouthwash. A bottled water was handed to him when he went out of the bathroom.

 

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked, once again rubbing his back. At times like this, Luhan felt relief flooding through his entire system. Maybe his intuitions were wrong. Maybe they won’t break up.

 

“Yes, maybe I just ate something bad last night. I’m okay now, thank you” he softly answered

 

“But you have been throwing up every morning for some days now, have you seen a doctor already? Shall I call Dr. Kim over?”

 

“Oh no, no! I’m fine, Sehun, really. I’ll just take some rest and I’ll be good” Luhan shook his head repeatedly, “why are you still here though? Won’t you be late for work?”

 

“Oh, yes. I was already on my way out when I heard you so I decided I’ll check on you first” Sehun explained, “are you sure you’re okay now?”

 

“Positive” he smiled gently at Sehun, “now go. Take care” he placed a chaste kiss on Sehun’s cheeks and pushed him gently towards the door. Sehun smiled at him and turned his back on Luhan.

 

“Uh, Sehun-ah” Luhan called out to Sehun who has now one feet outside the door,

 

“Yes?” he turned his head towards Luhan, confusion visible on his face.

 

“Will you be home for dinner?”

“I’m not sure. I’m meeting with Chanyeol later”

 

“Oh, okay, see you later then” Luhan tried his best to flash a sincere smile to Sehun, “I love you”

Sehun just smiled at him and he closed the door gently.

 

Sehun just closed the door of their home but Luhan felt that it meant something entirely different. It felt like Sehun was shutting him off from his life. Like he’s closing the door so Luhan can’t enter his life anymore. Luhan plopped down the couch - thinking about all the maybe’s he had thought of earlier. The maybe’s that will continue just being maybe for he knows that they will indeed break up soon.

 

Feeling dejected, Luhan picked up his phone and dialed the number of that one person he knows who loved him very much that even after eloping with Sehun 3 years ago, is still willing to take him in - to take him back. After 2 rings, said person accepted the call.

 

“Ma” Luhan mumbled softly, “I miss you” he choked.

 

“Lu, baby, what’s wrong?” Mrs. Lu asked him, her voice laced with worry.

 

“Nothing, Ma. Nothing at all. I just missed you and Papa” he said, trying his best to not sound broken - even though he was, utterly so.

 

“Lu, come on. You wouldn’t call this early just to tell me you missed us. It’s Sehun, isn’t it? And don’t ask me how I figured it out, I know you best”

 

“Ma, Sehun, he… he doesn’t… he isn’t… we aren’t…” Luhan tried to form proper words but nothing coherent came out of his mouth, he ended up sobbing while his mother listened to him. Seconds after, he heard her sigh

 

“I am not going to tell you that ‘I told you so’ because I know you got that part down already, but Han” Luhan sobbed harder when she called him Han. His mom only called him that whenever she knows that Luhan is in deep pain, “know that I am not the least happy about finding this. You were too young when you decided that you both wanted to be on your own and even though we tried stopping you, you didn’t listen to us. Now here you are. Han, come home” his mother whispered the last words but he heard it loud and clear. His mom wanted him to leave Sehun already but Luhan isn’t ready yet. Luhan isn’t ready to leave Sehun despite the fact that he’s already hurting. He loves Sehun too much and he can’t bear to imagine waking up one day that he and Sehun were not together anymore. He can’t imagine his life without Sehun.

 

“I’ll come over today, see you in a bit, Ma” he ended the call when he heard his mother responding a faint okay on the other line. Luhan quickly took a bath and hailed a cab right after. His head is throbbing and Luhan is feeling dizzy. He keeps on massaging his forehead during the whole hour travel to his parents’ residence. After an hour of traveling, he was already standing before a familiar mint green house, its gate still pristine white. Luhan gently pressed the doorbell.

 

His mother opened the door 2 buzzes later and when the gates opened before him, he took a step forward, ready to hug his mother when he suddenly passed out.

 

 

 

Luhan woke up, groaning because of the pain he is feeling at his backside and because of the bright light that was blinding him. He opened his eyes and scanned the room where he is currently in. Its walls are painted with white and to confirm that his intuition that he was in a hospital is true, he looked down at his hand, and yep, he is really inside the hospital.

 

“Oh, you’re already awake” his mother stood up from the couch and pressed the button on the wall beside it, “how are you feeling?”

 

“I’m fine, Ma, what happened though?” his mother was about to speak up when the doctor who’s in charge of him entered the room. He walked towards him and started checking him up, asking a few questions in between.

 

“Well, you just passed out due to fatigue. I suggest to put you in bed rest for the whole week until you regain your strength. You need to take care of yourself, Mr.Oh” Luhan internally cringe at what the doctor called him, “more importantly now that someone’s depending his or her life on you”

 

Luhan’s eyes widened at what the doctor told him, it isn’t what he is thinking right?

 

“Wha-what do you mean that some… someone’s depending his or her life on me? I couldn’t quite understand what you’re saying, doctor”

 

“Oh, you aren’t aware? You’re 2 months pregnant, Mr. Oh! Congratulations!” the doctor beamed at him and even though it’s been minutes since the doctor had left, Luhan can’t still digest the fact that he is pregnant.

 

“Lu, are you okay?” his mom who has been staring at him as he continue on having an internal breakdown asked.

 

“No, Mom. I think I’m gonna pass out again” he mumbled.

 

 

3 hours after and Luhan was already discharged from the hospital.

 

“What are your plans now?” his mother asked him when they were already inside Luhan’s old room.

 

“I don’t know yet, Ma. I still need time to think about things. For the mean time, can I stay here?”

 

 

“Yes, Lu. Are you not going to tell Sehun about your condition?”

 

“Not yet. Our relationship is on the rocks and I know he’s close to cutting ties with me. I don’t want our child to be the reason why he wouldn’t leave me. I don’t want him to stay because he pity me and his unborn child. As much as I love Sehun, I can’t let my child grow up in a loveless household. Besides, I can provide for he and me just fine, I am not a culinary arts graduate fro nothing” Luhan replied and smiled at his mother, his words holding nothing but his true thoughts.

 

“I’m so proud of what you have become, Lu” his mother wrapped her arms around Luhan’s small frame, “and you’re already claiming your child as a she” his mom chuckled.

 

“Ever since we found out that I’m a carrier, Sehun had always wished to have a daughter”, Luhan told his mother, his tears had already formed due to the memories, threatening to fall any minute from now.

 

“Well, I’ll call Baekhyun to drive you home and pick you up tomorrow, is that okay with you?”

 

Luhan just nod his head and mumbled a low thank you to his mother.

 

 

 

Sehun stared at the glass he was holding, swirling its content, the ice making a clinking sound as it came in contact with the glass.

 

“And then we met again yesterday and I swear that he… uh, Sehun are you still with me?” Chanyeol asked him. He’s been telling Sehun his love story with someone he met while he was having his vacation in Berlin.

 

“Uh, yes, I’m sorry” Sehun answered, smiling apologetically at Chanyeol, placing the glass on top of the counter.

 

Chanyeol sighed and put down the glass he was holding “It’s already 10 p.m., aren’t you going home already? Isn’t Luhan waiting for you?”

 

“It’s fine. I can stay a little bit more” he answered, fingers gently tapping the counter

 

“Did you guys fought?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter