Fourth

A Magical Mess

  

“Am I dead?”

“No you’re not in Heaven, it just feels like it because I’m here. Compared to you humans, even in my ugliest form, I am angelic.” He doesn’t have even a slight bit of sarcasm in his voice as he flicks his hair to the side.

 “But you were like this.” I hold up my finger and thumb about an inch apart. “And now you’re like that.” I gesture to his full figure and try not to look at the almost too short tunic that he’s wearing. “And you had wings that went like this.” I flap my arms.

Hopefully, talking myself through this whole thing will help the world stop spinning around me.

“I hate explaining things twice but whatever. My species are commonly called fairies. We’re small cute creatures but we also have the ability to change into a human being form. Most people only know me by my human form because I’m pretty famous in this world.” A smirk spreads across his lips. “Usually I can go back from fairy to human easily, but you damaged one of my wings after you kicked me down the street and now I’m stuck in this state.”

The words fairy and actor and wings collide in my brain, but it still isn’t really making sense. The gears in my head just aren’t clicking in place.

“Don’t worry I’ll forgive you, just hand over your house keys.”

That snaps me back into reality fast. My house keys? This guy was creeping me out now. I hold my arms over my chest and back away. “What do you want from me?”

“Ugh don’t make me sick. I just need a place to stay, so loan me your house. I’ll throw in a signed autograph if you really want.”

“I don’t owe you anything, fairy boy.” The twitch of anger that I had briefly forgotten about floods back into my blood. I don’t care who this guy is. Fairy or not. Famous actor or not. Whether I’m seeing things or not. I’m not in the mood for anyone to boss me around today. Especially not by a make-believe creature.

I flash my smartphone toward him with the numbers 119 on the screen. “I don’t know what you are or if I’m going crazy but let’s let the police figure this out.”

Fear flickers in his eyes for a moment and I can’t help but smile. Guess he doesn’t want to be caught by someone.

“I’ll throw in a picture with me and an invitation to my movie premiere, just hand over your house and go stay in a hotel somewhere. I’ll give it back to you when I’m done.”

I exhale through my teeth and stomp up to face him. “I have a better idea. You go back into that tin can you came from, leave me alone and I won’t call the police or upload a video of you to the internet.”

No, I didn't record a video, but he doesn't know that.

“Look, he bends down toward me, his eyes darting back and forth, and now I can see his face up-close. His face is flawless like a doll, with deep brown eyes, pink lips, and thick lashes. He looks exactly like he did on TV.

“I’m running away from my agency for…reasons and I can’t get caught. If it’s money you want, I can give you a lot, just give me a place to stay, okay?”

He lays a hand on my shoulder and looks at me like he did with that interviewer. But I know that game. I am not won over by good looks. 

The money part, on the other hand, that was enticing. Any extra money couldn’t hurt, and I bet he was worth millions. What I could do with that much money…

But no, I shoe his hand off of me, this person could be a weirdo, a freak. Actually, he’s already a freak, I saw blue wings sprout of his back earlier and he was going on about magic. I shake the thoughts of being wealthy out of my head. I don’t want to have anything to do with this stuff.

“I refuse.” His eyes darken but just as he's about to open his mouth again, a tiny droplet of rain hits his face, rolling down his chin. His face tilts back toward the sky. It's a pretty picture actually, like something out of a painting, but this is also my chance to get away from this freak once and for all.

While he’s glancing at the clouds, I make a dash for it. By the time he looks back, I’m already inside my apartment building. I don't even bother to glance back at him as I frantically pressing the close button so the metal elevator doors can shut already. 

The word ‘fairies’ keeps echoing in my head as I go up the elevator, as I head down the hallway, and even as I stop to shove my keys into my door. “He’s a fairy? An actual fairy?” I murmur to myself before throwing open the door.

For a second I regret not having filmed the whole thing. What kind of discovery did I just make? It seems borderline revolutionary.

But I don’t have much time to regret because just as the door is about to swing shut a hand darts through the crack and catches it.

“Let me stay here, please.” I turn around in horror to see fairy-boy holding my door open, his silver hair dripping wet and plastered to his face. Which oddly enough made he look even better, like a sad kitten, but what am I thinking right now? 

He tries to move his way in, but I push back on the door so that he’s shoved back into the hallway.

His fake act drops, and a scowl returns to his face. “Come on you little human, just let me in.”

“No!” I push my body against the door to keep him out. “You can stay out in the hallway for all I care.”

“You owe me this.” He hisses while trying to pry the door open from his side.

“I’m going to scream.” I threaten. With one hand, I’m fishing out my pepper spray from my backpack. Let’s see what you think about this fairy.

“I can scream louder. How 'bout we find out.” He calls back.

My sneakers are sliding against the carpet as the door begins to open but I position the pepper spray ready to fire.

Then out of nowhere the door goes slack and I almost fall forward. Is he... gone? Cautiously I peer out into the hallway, to make sure there are no tricks but he’s not there. Giving up so soon, fairy-boy?

I lock the door tight, my hold relaxing on the spray.

Yet, I’m not convinced. The apartment is quiet, too quiet. I wait in the silence and listen for anything but there’s not a sound. Not one sound...except for the drum of the rain on the balcony. 

The balcony.

As soon as I turn I see his grey soaking wet head smirking at me from behind the balcony railing.

“Just give up and let me stay here, human girl.” Baekhyun struggles to pull himself up the railing, his elbows teetering on the slippery edge. “Come one, it’s raining.”

This guy is getting on my last nerves. I snatch a steel-iron pan from the kitchen countertop, my grip tightening around the handle. I hope you’re not the only one of your kind fairy-boy because I’m about to make you extinct. But just as I dash toward him, his hands slip off the slick metal and his face vanishes out of sight. My pan clatters as it falls to the floor. Did he just-

I quickly throw open the door the now heavy rain runs down my face in rivers. I almost don’t want to look but with a deep swallow, I peer over the railing edge. Expecting no less than his body lying across the bushes, three stories down. Much to my shock, I see two twinkling eyes staring back at me

“Got ya” His fingers are gripping to the very edge of the railing and he sticks his tongue out at me before swiftly pouncing onto the balcony and running into the apartment.