Cokes are overrated (Have a Dr. Pepper instead)

Cokes are overrated (Have a Dr. Pepper instead)

The bell of the liquor store jingled as Yoongi made his way to the back of the store, eyes locked on the coolers where all the beverages were kept nice and cold. He was a man on a mission. You see, it had all started a week ago…

Yoongi and Jin, along with the rest of their group -which consisted of a rather too tall for his own good Kim Namjoon, and a too cheery for his own good Jung Hoseok- had been lounging around in their usual hang out spot, near the oak tree of their university. The group of friends had decided to hang out after their rather long day of classes had finally come to an end. Half of that time Yoongi spent in and out of consciousness, already feeling the need to knock out the second he came to lay on the grass beneath him. He was so close to finishing the semester, all he had to do was endure the next few sleepless nights, jam packed with studying and he would be fine, he’d feel like a walking zombie, but he’d be fine.

- it’s just too bad,” Yoongi heard Jin say, having no clue as to what he was referring to.

What’s too bad?” Questioned Yoongi as he sat up from the ground.  

The other three of the group turned their bodies to the new addition to their conversation. “If you were listening, you’d know that we were talking about the coke bottles with the names on them,” Namjoon replied.  

off.” 

Hey, language!” Seokjin reprimanded. Yoongi muttered a halfhearted apology while his mind turned a few gears as he was recovering from just having woken up. “The personalized bottles?” he said after he was back to a functional state.

All three nodded their heads in unison. “What about them?”

Jin’s sulking ‘cause he couldn’t get one with his name on it.” Hoseok replied this time.

No, there were plenty of them with my name on it.”

Then?” Yoongi was still lost.

No,” Jin whined, frustrated that his friends didn’t understand his problem. “The company released limited edition bottles with last names on them. Last names! I went to the campus store to see if they had mine, but I was too late!”

Yoongi nodded in understanding, he didn’t get what the big whoop was with having your name on an object, but he really didn’t have the energy to argue about it with his friends. “How are you even sure they had your last name?”

“’Cause Namjoon got one,” Hoseok replied, trying to hide his laughter as Jin pointed an accusing finger at Namjoon. “Traitor,” the elder said, glaring at him.

Namjoon rolled his eyes, laying down on the grass like Yoongi had done a few moments earlier. “It wasn’t even intentional. I grabbed the first bottle I saw and I happened to pick it up. And even if I hadn’t gotten it, someone would have probably taken it anyways, so not my fault you were too late.”

Jin put his hand down, huffing in defeat. “Yeah well, who knows, maybe I would have gotten it!”

Can’t you just look for them off campus?” Hoseok spoke up. Jin shook his head. “I can’t. I’m a T.A remember? I got quizzes to grade and office hours to hold. I have no time.”

Yoongi watched Jin sulk out of the corner of his eyes, he didn’t want to openly stare at the guy, too afraid he’d get caught admiring his friend’s handsome complexion, and hell, even when Jin was sulking did he look good. Maybe something could be done about it.

And thus, that’s what brought Yoongi to the present. He was on a mission to conquer the affections of one Kim Seokjin using a simple coke bottle, or at least that’s what Yoongi had thought. Yoongi was under the impression that finding one coke bottle with the last name ‘Kim’ on it would be rather easy, that surname was the most common in Korea, so it shouldn’t be hard to find it, right? No, he was wrong, oh so wrong. Not only were they limited edition, meaning only a few were even made to begin with, but the very fact that because ‘Kim’ is a common surname made it even harder! It seems that Jin wasn’t the only one rather keen on wanting it.

Yoongi searched through several markets, stands, and vending machines, but he was out of luck. He had already walked a long way from school and he was coming up short, that is until he tried his luck one more time, entering a liquor store he managed to come across right before he decided to call it quits. Normally, Yoongi would have ended his searching after the first few minutes, but this was Jin he was talking about, his friend since freshman year in college who happened to be very attractive, and who he happened to have a liking towards so he couldn’t give up. It was no secret that Yoongi was biual, his friends were aware, but what they didn’t know was the crush Yoongi had towards the eldest of the group. Hopefully, if Yoongi managed to find the stupid coke bottle, he would be able to use it to maybe get somewhere further than just friendship with the elder, but first he would have to actually find the damn thing.

As Yoongi walked through the isle, he hoped and prayed he would find it. Yoongi wasn’t religious, but if his prayers were answered, he’d go to church first thing Sunday morning. He turned the corner, coming closer as he walked up towards the open cooler, eyes searching for the one particular bottle that would grant him his wish. And there he saw it. Yoongi almost shouted in happiness as he reached out to grab the glass bottle, shedding imaginary tears at his small victory when he saw that another hand had also grabbed the bottle as well, hand placed just above Yoongi’s. The other hand held the upper half as Yoongi’s hand was holding the bottom portion of the bottle.

Yoongi snapped out of his mental victory dance, moving his head to look at whoever it was that had his hand on top of his.

“Um...” was all he managed to say as he looked at the stranger next to him. At first glance, the guy was quite taller than him, not by a lot, but Yoongi did have to look up a bit to look him in the eyes. Compared to the person in front of him, Yoongi looked as if his skin had never seen the sun, the guy’s sandy brown hair swept to the side as brown eyes looked back towards Yoongi in surprise. He was a pretty boy, Yoongi thought.

“Well this is awkward,” the pretty boy said, voice a bit deeper than Yoongi’s “But I do believe I reached for it first.”

Now that managed to get a proper response out of Yoongi. “No, I reached for it first.” Pretty boy or not, Yoongi would be damned if he was letting him take the bottle.

“No,” pretty boy replied, this time tugging at the bottle. “I did.”

Yoongi held on to the bottle tighter, no way was this guy going to take what cost him so much trouble getting. “Actually no, I did,” Yoongi replied, tugging on the bottle as well. Neither male seemed to be willing to let go as their hold became even tighter. Yoongi was afraid they might break it with how hard they both held on.

“You’re clearly mistaken, I even saw it first too!” pretty boy tried tugging on it harder, almost managing to take it out of Yoongi’s hands.

Yoongi was starting to get annoyed. “Look pal, I got it first. In fact, you weren’t even in the store when I got here, I know because it was just me here!”

The other male did not seem to be giving up soon and it took all of Yoongi’s willpower not to step on the other’s foot just so he could get the bottle and leave.

Pretty boy huffed, staring down at Yoongi with determination. “Well, even so, my hand is above yours clearly indicating that I should get it.”

Yoongi rolled his eyes. “That’s such bull!”

Pretty boy gasped, widening his eyes in an exaggerated manner. “Excuse me, language! Honestly, do you kiss your mother with that mouth!?”

Yoongi rolled his eyes, “Fine, that’s a load of malolly.”

“Nu-uh, it’s rules.”

“What rules?!”

“Coca-Cola rules!”

“There’s no such thing!” Yoongi felt a headache coming. He needed to get this bottle and go before he punches someone.

Pretty boy pursed his lips, clearly also annoyed that Yoongi wouldn’t give it up. They held eye contact for a few seconds before pretty boy lowered his gaze, breaking eye contact with Yoongi. “Your last name isn’t even Kim!”

Yoongi stared surprised at the stranger. Did they know each other? “And how would you know?”

Pretty boy snorted, “Because Min Yoongiit says so on your name tag.”

Yoongi looked down at the silver name tag on his shirt, he had come here straight after his shift over at the copy center on campus and he had forgotten to take it off. “So? I’m still not giving it to you. The cooler had plenty of other bottles, just take your pick and leave this one to me.”

“But that’s not fair! That’s my last name that you’re holding, so should be entitled to it!”

“How do I know you’re not lying?”

Pretty boy rolled his eyes as he took out his id from his school bag, shoving it towards Yoongi, all the while both males had still not relinquished their hold from the bottle. Yoongi leaned his head back a bit, reading the information on the id card. Kim Taehyung was his name. Yoongi cursed his luck, of course this kid (he’d read the date of birth too) wanted this particular bottle, his surname was on it after all,. But as Yoongi had mentioned, he was on a mission, he needed this to get to the next step with Jin.

“Look kid, I can’t let you have this bottle,” Yoongi began as he gave back the card to pret- Taehyung.

As Taehyung occupied himself with putting the card back, Yoongi took the opportunity and swiftly tugged the bottle away from the younger’s hold.“Hey!”

Yoongi was over this already, he just wanted to go home and work on the ton of course work he still had to complete. “Look, I’ll pay for your drink ok? Choose whatever you want, just not this bottle.”

Taehyung pouted, not happy with the alternative. “Why do you want it anyways? It’s not your name on it, so why? Is it for your girlfriend? I bet she wouldn’t be happy with how you’re obtaining it!”

“It’s none of your business,” Yoongi replied curtly.

“Then I demand to have it back.” Taehyung held out an expectant hand.

“It never belonged to you in the first place.” Yoongi grinned as Taehyung became exasperated, crossing his arms on his chest. Yoongi could be quite persistent if he wanted to be, and he was going home with this bottle.

“Plus, shouldn’t you be at home or something? Don’t your parents give you curfew?”

Taehyung narrowed his eyes. “I’ll have you know, I turned eighteen a few months ago. I can do whatever I want!"

“Congrats,” Yoongi said sarcastically. “Well I’m twenty so I have seniority, therefore it’s mine.”

Taehyung looked at Yoongi incredulously, “And you called my excuse bull- outlandish! That term doesn’t even work like that!”

Just as Yoongi was going to reply, the cashier appeared from behind them. “Is there a problem?”

Yoongi looked at the cashier for a second before he turned back to Taehyung. Judging by the uniform and backpack, this kid was still in school, and seeing as how he had just turned eighteen, the kid was probably in his last year of high school. Yoongi was willing to bet Taehyung was looking to go to college too, and no kid could afford to get in trouble now or their admissions would be rescinded. If he had walked this far for this stupid bottle, Yoongi wasn’t going to lose without a fight. “I don’t know, is there?”

Yes, he was going there, sue him. And by the look of terror creeping up on the younger’s face, Yoongi had made his point.

“N-no, no everything’s fine,” Taehyung responded. The cashier looked at them suspiciously before he retreated behind the counter.

“I hope that settles everything then.”

Taehyung frowned as he turned to walk away, accepting his defeat as a string of curses left his mouth despite being the one who called Yoongi out for such vocabulary earlier.

‘I don’t even like coke,’ was the last thing the younger muttered as he stepped out the store. Yoongi on the other hand, smiled in triumph, he felt slightly guilty, but he didn’t have time to be a nice person. Finally, he could pay for the thing and leave the store. He couldn’t wait for tomorrow.


Yoongi woke up a nervous wreck. Today would be the day, today he was going to tell Jin how he felt. He was going to ask Jin out and it was all thanks to the coke bottle he had in his fridge. When he makes it big in the future, he’ll make sure to make a large donation to the company although he doubts they even need it.

Yoongi was all smiles as he prepared for this day, ignoring his roommates suspicious glances. Yoongi was never a morning person, but as he said, today was going to be a great day. Grabbing the cold bottle from the fridge, Yoongi left his dorm, biding his roommate goodbye before he hit the campus.

All throughout the day Yoongi found himself unable to concentrate on his classes, he was so jittery it was impossible to think of anything else besides his confession. He had it all planned out: first he was going to give Jin the bottle, admire the happy smile on the other’s face, and later on when their friends had all gone to their own schedules, he would be left alone with Jin and then that’s when he would ask Jin out. Of course, Yoongi knew that a simple coke bottle, limited edition or not, wouldn’t automatically give him the date, but he was hoping that Jin would be in good spirits that he’d give Yoongi a shot. That should be enough.

The hours passed by, rather slow too, before it was finally time to head over to their groups hang out spot. As Yoongi made his way over to the oak tree, he felt his heart speed up. As he approached, Yoongi spotted his group of friends, and most specifically Jin, sitting on the table next to the tree, laughing at whatever Hoseok and Namjoon were arguing about. It was really happening, he was going through with it.

There he comes!” Namjoon called out as Yoongi joined them on the grass. “Would you please remind Hoseok here that I never cried watching The Blind Side?”

“You totally did!” Hoseok argued, fending off the other’s swings.

Jin continued to laugh as Yoongi sat next to him, chuckling as he looked back at the other two. “Sorry man, but you totally cried.”

Namjoon sulked, tackling Hoseok who continued to .

While the other two were occupied, Yoongi took that opportunity to reach into his bag, pulling the bottle out as he turned back to Jin.

“Uh, here,” Yoongi said as he practically shoved the bottle into Jin’s hands. Smooth Yoongi, very smooth.

Jin, caught off guard, looked down at the bottle, noticing the last name printed on it. Jin gasped in delight.

“Y-”

“I’m back!” they were interrupted by a voice behind them, a familiar voice, a very, very familiar voice, a voice that belonged to the kid Yoongi almost had a throw down with yesterday, over the very object in Jin’s hands.

“Taehyungie, come here,” Jin said as Yoongi could only stare at the kid walking over to them. What? Do they know each other? Taehyungie? What the actual was going on?

“Yoongi, remember how yesterday I said I’d be bringing my cousin over?”

Yoongi was too shocked to reply. Cousin? He almost got down with Jin’s cousin, of all people in this world.

“He was too focused on sleeping remember?” Namjoon said before he went right back to wrestling with Hoseok.

“Right right, well this is Taehyung, he just got accepted here.”

Yoongi said nothing, still trying to asses what was happening. Taehyung mirrored Yoongi’s surprised expression for a few seconds before he looked at Yoongi expectantly, ready for the other to say something snarky like he had done yesterday. But it didn’t come.

Jin chuckled. He ruffled Yoongi’s hair, causing said male to turn a faint red. Taehyung raised his eyebrow at Yoongi’s reaction. This was so not the same person he had encountered yesterday. “He’s a nice guy, Taehyung. You just have to get to know him. Oh! actually, look what he just got me. Just when I was losing hope.”

Taehyung’s eyes shifted down to the bottle in Jin’s hands. The same bottle that almost got him into trouble. And oh, oh.

“He’s a softy, just doesn’t show it.” Jin continued to say, oblivious to the tension between the two other males. Meanwhile Namjoon and Hoseok, both tired out, had knocked out on the grass.

“Anyway, Taehyung this is Y-”

“We’ve met,” Taehyung interjected. Yoongi narrowed his eyes at the younger, he could ruin everything for him. And he was so close to confessing.

Jin perked up. “Oh really!?”

“Yeeaaah,” Yoongi replied reluctantly. Taehyung looked at Yoongi with an amused expression, which Yoongi would very much like to wipe off his face, but this was Jin’s cousin. Jin’s cousin, so he couldn’t. He held his tongue and settled for a quiet stare off with the younger.

“Okay?” Jin said, finding it better not to ask for now.

Jin gave Yoongi a bright smile. “It’s really sweet of you Yoongi, really. This is like the best thing ever.”

Yoongi broke the stare off, opting to stare at the ground. Dang it, was he blushing?

“Y-yeah well, it was nothing. I just happened to come across it and thought why not?” he silently hoped Taehyung would keep his mouth shut. Yoongi glanced over at Taehyung, embarrassed that he was seeing him like this. Taehyung gave Yoongi an amused expression but didn’t say anything.

Jin seemed to be hyper oblivious of anything going on, of the big fat crush Yoongi had on him, or of the fact that there was some obvious tension going on between his cousin and Yoongi.

“Well, now that you met my friends-”

“Hey,” yet another voice spoke up from behind, this time Yoongi didn’t recognize this person.

“Just in time,” Jin said.

“Taehyung,” Jin looked over to see the other two who were still knocked out on the grass. “And Yoongi, this is Jungkook, we’re together.” Yoongi felt like his heart dropped. Out of everything that could have happened, he never thought this would be one of them. Hell, he was prepared for an alien invasion to happen during his confession, but not this.

“T-together?” Yoongi asked.

“As in he’s your boyfriend?” Taehyung joined.

“Yeah.” Jin walked over to Jungkook, slinging his arm around the other’s shoulder. Jungkook wrapped his arm around Jin’s back and Yoongi had to look away.

“We met in my french class the beginning of this semester, and well he asked me out yesterday.”

Jin handed over the bottle to Jungkook, leaving Taehyung standing awkwardly next to Yoongi who just wanted to be swallowed up by the earth right about not.

“Oh you got it!” Jungkook said.

“Actually Yoongi got it for me, he happened to come across it. Can you believe it? that’s crazy awesome!”

Taehyung cleared his throat quietly, focusing his attention on anything else than the three college students. He wasn’t the one in this situation, but he was feeling embarrassed for Yoongi, even if he was the who took his coke away.

“Like I said, it was nothing,” Yoongi said as he picked up his stuff. “Anyway, I have some course work to complete, so I just came by to drop this off. Tell Namjoon and Hoseok I said goodbye,” Yoongi said as he prepared to leave. It was still way too early in the afternoon to start suffering through homework, but he just had to leave.

“It was, uh, nice to meet you... again,” Yoongi said, not waiting for the younger’s reply as he his heels and left.

Yoongi headed over to the chemistry building, not intending on actually going in, but the staircase leading into the building was alone, so he opted to just sit there.

Well , he was not expecting that. Today was rather… disappointing. His plans went to and now he’s sitting here torn. While he didn’t love Jin, he did like the guy. He was the first friend he made here, and he was bound to have a crush on someone as handsome and kind as Jin. So yeah, it did hurt to see Jin with that Jungkook guy.

“It could be worse, you know?”

Yoongi almost jumped out of his skin. He turned around to face the voice behind him and was surprised to see Taehyung moving over to sit next to him. What the hell? When had Taehyung come up behind him? It was one thing to have him in front, he would have seen him, but behind him? He must have been too preoccupied with himself that he didn’t notice anything going on.

“Come here to gloat?” Yoongi said bitterly.

Taehyung made himself comfortable on the steps, setting his backpack beside him. “Nope, live and let go.”

Yoongi raised an eyebrow at that. “oh really, is that why you were cursing me up and down as you left the store?”

Taehyung opened his mouth to defend himself but it was pointless. “Ok, maybe I did hate you at that time, but after a while I realized it was pointless. Life is too short to hold a grudge. If I did, I’d have a sour life. I don’t want to live like that… although karma is a .”

“Then you did come here to gloat,” Yoongi said with and annoyed expression.

Taehyung shook his head, “No, just had to get it out of my system. You were kind of an yesterday.”

He was kind of an , he supposes he had it coming.

“But I’m not here to do that.”

Yoongi grunted, he was kinda too embarrassed to say anything, seeing as how Taehyung, his crush’s cousin had witnessed everything. What if he says something to J-

“I won’t say anything. Unrequited crushes already as it is, I won’t give you more to deal with.”

Yoongi went back to his original position, facing away from Taehyung. “I never said I had a crush on him.”

“I have eyes you know, I’m not stupid.”

Yoongi sighed. There was no point denying it. “Why are you here?”

Taehyung shrugged, “I just think there should be someone there in times like these. Ya know, broken hearted times.”

Yoongi snorted. “I’m not broken hearted, disappointed yeah, but not broken hearted.

Taehyung nodded, it was evident he didn’t believe Yoongi, but he let it go. “You know, Jin has that effect on people.”

“And what effect does he have?”

Taehyung smiled as he thought about his cousin. He was always there for Taehyung, even when he had plenty of things to do, he always made time to help Taehyung with anything. He was there when Taehyung’s dad passed away, when he was made fun of at school, when he felt he wasn’t good enough. He was always there for him. “He’s is kind. He’s compassionate, always willing to brighten up your day when he senses you’re down. He’s selfless, put others before himself, and when he’s focused on you, it makes you feel like he can see through you, like he knows you’re going through something but won’t push you until you want to talk about it. He makes you feel comforted in times of need, and even when you feel like you don’t need it, he’s there. He reassures you of just how important you are, even when you don’t think you are.”

Yoongi felt like he wanted to cry, Taehyung hit close to home.

“But you know, he can be an idiot sometimes. You know, back in high school, I’d always witness people getting hooked up on his charms and just as easily crash because he didn’t feel the same way. I kind of felt bad for them. But he’s is like that, he doesn’t do it on purpose, but he just doesn’t notice people’s feelings towards him.”

Yoongi didn’t reply, he just sat there, processing what he was being told. He held onto the cement next to him, knuckles going white. It hit him, he kinda liked Jin a bit more than he thought. Yoongi felt another hand on top of him, undoing the tight hold Yoongi had on the cement so that his hand laid flat on the floor, with Taehyung’s on top. Yoongi would have normally pulled away, but it was comforting.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it, it just wasn’t meant to be. Or who knows, maybe you’ll have another go at it in the future,” Taehyung said as he patted Yoongi’s hand. He found it kind of funny, being comforted by someone younger than him, someone he brawled with.

“Is this a normal thing for you, comforting your cousin’s admirers?”

Taehyung chucked a bit. “Not really, no. Not many of them were actually friends with him, just people who he happened to attract from far away. I’ve only ever done this once... well kinda but not really. More like I tried.”

Today was just a string of surprises for Yoongi who would normally just try and get out of these types of conversations, but he found himself asking the younger about it. “What happened?”

Taehyung moved his hand away from it’s place above Yoongi’s, crossing his arms on his lap. “He was someone I knew. We were in the same classes, though we never really talked. And one day I overheard him confessing to Jin, but he was rejected, he was too busy to date anyway. I left before I was spotted, but the next day I tried to cheer him up. Just because someone rejects you, that doesn’t mean your life is over. I thought that if I could make him laugh, be kind to him that he’d feel better. That’s where I went wrong. He was never sad about being rejected, more like enraged. You see, he was those entitled types, people who thought they could get whatever they wanted, but I didn’t see it. I mistook his attitude as that of being heart broken.” Taehyung shifted, putting his hands slightly behind him, leaning back to look up at the sky.

“I just wanted to help, you know. I see someone who’s sad and I just want to be there for them. I thought about how this person needed someone to cheer him up… but I was naive. His form of being cheered up was having me be his lap dog, I was used. But I never saw it. Jimin, my best friend, tried talking sense into me, but I didn’t listen. I thought I was becoming friends with this guy, but no, I was being played. It took me a long time to see it, and when I did, it really hurt me.”

Taehyung was still gazing up, smiling slightly as if the story wasn’t at all that bad, but the sadness in his voice gave it away. “I’m sorry that happened to you,” Yoongi said, patting Taehyung’s shoulder awkwardly. He didn’t know what else to say. He didn’t expect to have this type of talk with someone he had just met either.

A few seconds past before Taehyung looked over at him, smiling more genuinely this time. “That’s alright, it’s a learning experience. It helped me realize that life hurls things at you so that you can pick yourself up. Before him, I always went to Jimin and especially Jin for help, couldn’t get myself out of my own head, but after that experience, I learned to help myself. I learned to cheer myself up and move on my own, and I would do it all over again.”

Yoongi nodded in reply and Taehyung didn’t expect a response, he just wanted to let the other know it wasn’t the end of the world, that Yoongi would pick himself up just like Taehyung did.  

But Yoongi was not Taehyung, he was the type to think about things for ages, to sulk over mishappenings for a considerable amount of time before he could move on. If Yoongi was honest, Taehyung seemed too optimistic for his own good. How could someone remain so positive after that? This kid was something else.

A few moments passed before the younger spoke up again. “I meant what I said though, it could have been worse. There could have been an alien invasion while you were confessing or something.”

Yoongi chuckled, they seemed to be on different ends of the spectrum on that thought. If he’s honest, he doesn’t even think he can look at a coke normally ever again.

“What’s so special about having your name on a coke anyway? I think that’s just cringe,” Yoongi said.

“Hey! They’re awesome, Jin and I aren’t the only ones who would think so, Jiminie would agree with me,” Taehyung replied. “It’s totally cool to have your name on something. It’s like if I were to have the name Taehyung on my swe- actually,” the younger stopped. “Ok, maybe that is cringe, but not for last names! Think of it as jerseys or Letterman jackets, it’s cool to have your last name on it!”

“Yeah, right.”

The silence that overcame them wasn’t uncomfortable now, both males took their time just looking at their surroundings before Yoongi spoke up. “You know, I actually preferred the alien invasion.”

Taehyung laughed, causing Yoongi to jump a little. “You’re a weird one.”

Yoongi narrowed his eyes. “I’m the weird one? I didn’t make up fake coke rules just to get what I wanted.”

“I could say the same, ‘Mr. Seniority’,” replied the other as he stopped laughing, giving Yoongi a seemingly angry stare that could have worked, would it not have been for the giggle that followed. Soon both of them were laughing, remembering how they almost pulled punches just for a bottle of soda.

“To think I almost kicked your for a soda,” Yoongi said as the laughter settled.

Taehyung took a while longer to calm down, opening his mouth to reply before something came to mind. “I’ve got it!” he said loudly.

“Got what?”

“So, maybe you didn’t get to ask Jin out, but what if it was for the better? Think of this situation as a bottle of coke.”

Yoongi raised an eyebrow, he was kinda questioning Taehyung’s thought process right about now.

“Every where you go, no matter what store you visit, what’s the one thing you are sure to find?”

“A coke?” Yoongi replied, not sure what the hell cokes have to do with his love life right now.

“Exactly,” Taehyung began enthusiastically. “They’re easy to obtain, so it’s a not challenge to have one. It’s not like they’re rare, so when you need one, they’re right there, ready for you for when you’re thirsty. They’re obtainable and I guess they taste good too, though personally I’m not a fan of them. But anyways, it’s the perfect drink. Though, hyped up a bit too much, people even fight about how superior they are compared to other brands. But anyways, I digress.” Taehyung moved taking a deep breath, looking as if he had the answers in the universe.

“Relationships shouldn’t be like that. A relationship shouldn’t be easy, but the idea of having the perfect partner is everyone’s dream. Everyone wants one because with a perfect relationship, the other person just gets you, no need to argue at all. It would be the easiest thing ever. Countless fairy tales, movies, and books thrive off of selling stories about finding ‘the one’ the one without whom you cannot have the perfect relationship. Now lets think about Jin. He’s easy to like, easy to befriend, and he’s the ideal partner. He’s patient, always willing to put you before himself. When you’re mad, he’ll let you cool off because he doesn’t want things to escalate, but he’ll be there when you’re ready for him. It’s th-”

“The perfect relationship,” Yoongi interrupted, but what was so bad about that

“Yes! Everyone wants one because then there will be no hurt, no arguments, no need to work for it. But that’s exactly what we need though. A relationship, more importantly, love, should be something that’s messy, there will be times where you are going to hurt, you are going to be infuriated with them at some point, and that’s ok.”

Taehyung sat up straight, turning his body so that he was completely facing Yoongi. “Do you know why we appreciate a good day?”

Yoongi stayed in his position, body facing the sidewalk in front of them, but he turned the upper half of his body slightly so he was looking at Taehyung a bit more, pondering over his question. “Because it makes us feel happy?”

“And It’s because when don’t have them all the time. It’s hard to appreciate something you see daily. Same thing with a relationship, it’s hard to appreciate what you have if there’s never a time when things are less than perfect. If you've never worked for it, never had those moments where you think, 'That was a tough time or us, but we made it, it made us stronger together.' then what's the point. So what I’m trying to say is that maybe you like him because he’s like a bottle of coke.”

Yoongi nodded, as outlandish as Taehyung’s explanation was, he was understanding what he was saying, he couldn’t help but joke a little bit though. “Are you saying he’s easy? Pretty sure he’d be offended.”

Taehyung rolled his eyes. “No, of course not, but he represents something that can be easy and ideal for everyone.”

“Like a bottle of coke,” Yoongi said.

“Like a bottle of coke,” the other reaffirmed.

“Never thought of it like that,”

Taehyung smiled softly, “Maybe you should start.”

Yoongi smiled back. For the first time since he ran off, Yoongi was feeling a bit lighter, and surprisingly he wasn’t as gloomy as he was. “So then, what ‘drink’ what be best for me?” Yoongi asked.

The younger thought for a second, chewing on his bottom lip before he replied. “One you have to ease yourself into. I happen to think that the best drinks are the ones that are unique, ones you don’t like at first, but then find out that after a few sips, they’re not that bad after all.”

Yoongi hummed in understanding. “Kinda lik-”

“It’s time to go,” Jin yelled, startling both males on the steps. They both turned to their side to see Jin waiting a few feet away with Jungkook in tow.

“Well, I guess I should go now. Cheer up, yeah? I know I just met you, but um, you seem like a cool guy” Taehyung said suddenly feeling shy. Yoongi thought it was cute how quickly the other seemed to change his demeanor. “I guess I’ll see you around now that I’m gonna be a student here.”

Yoongi smiled at the younger, he was a bit disappointed they didn’t finish their conversation. “See you soon,and Taehyung?”

Taehyung tiltied his head to the side in question. "Yes?"

"Thanks." Taehyung nodded one last time before he turned around, heading over to Jin until he stopped in his tracks and jogged back over to Yoongi.

“Wha-”

“Here, they’re my favorite,” Taehyung said, pulling out a Dr. Pepper from out of his bag and handing it over to the elder boy.

“Uh, what for?”

“Like I said, cokes are overrated, have a Dr. Pepper instead,” Taehyung said as he gave Yoongi the drink before he his heels. Yoongi stared at the bottle for a few seconds he looked over to the three figures retreating. Both Jin and Jungkook waved a simple goodbye to Yoongi, while Taehyung smiled widely, waving his hands in an exaggerated farewell. Yoongi chuckled a bit, waving goodbye as he looked back down at the bottle. Anyone who knew Yoongi knew he hated Dr. Pepper, hell, most people did. It tasted like medicine, granted he only had it like once bu- oh.

“I thought you hated Dr. Pepper,” Namjoon said from behind with Hoseok close by. Yoongi jumped for the nth time that day. He shrugged his shoulders, “Thought I’d try it.”

“Min Yoongi? Trying new things? You never do that.”

 Yoongi smiled slightly, “Maybe I should start."


Now, I'm not saying that a relationship has to be have fights and arguments constantly. It's more like, a relationship should be about growth and growing together, and in order for a relationship to grow, there's gonna be situations where arguments are going to be had. And, I don't mean ones that turn physical. Also, Jin's qualities in this fic are good, don't get me wrong, but a happily ever after, while not really possible in real life, isn't exactly what people need. You're free to argue it though, I know other people think differently, but like, a relationship is something that people have to work on, it's what makes it worth the while.