A Fleeting Moment

A Fleeting Moment

Kyungsoo sat on the green army colored sofa. He glanced at a young looking CEO who wore a Burberry Suit and a Rolex watch. He sat at the one seater sofa near Kyungsoo.

I came in a good timing. Only one patient before my turn, he thought satisfiedly.

This particular dental clinic was exclusive and most of their clients were famous or rich people, therefore Kyungsoo felt at ease. He didn’t need to disguise himself. All of the EXO members also goes here for their dental problems and routine check-ups.

He sat back and put on his earphone. His favorite playlist, consisted of old and new western songs, filled his ear loudly.

Kyungsoo didn’t know how many minutes have passed by (he reckoned about fifteen minutes because he just finished hearing three songs) until a mid-fourties lady came out of the dentist’s room. A dental nurse called for the young CEO who got up immediately and disappeared behind the dentist’s door.

He became more relax since it was only him in the waiting area. Kyungsoo hummed Trey Songz’s Nobody Else But You. His clear voice filled the room. The receptionist and cashier lady eyed each other, looking happy and smug at the same time for having the chance to hear his humming.

Five minutes later, new guests arrived. Kyungsoo didn’t even realize until both of them occupied the rest of the three seater sofa he was sitting on. He glanced at the girl beside him. Long dark brown hair. Dark brown eyes. Rosy cheeks and lips.

Rosé from Blackpink.

“You have an early morning schedule tomorrow, Chaeyoungie. I hope this won’t take long”, said her manager.

Chaeyoung replied with a pout, “I hope so too, unnie. The throbbing’s not that bad now, but I just really want to check it so that I can sing worry free tomorrow.”

His eyes widen with realization the same time Chaeyoung noticed him as well. She gasped then gave a deep bow while sitting. Kyungsoo pulled out his earphone from his ears to return her bow and fixed his eyeglasses.

“Annyeong haseyo, Kyungsoo sunbaenim.”

“Annyeong haseyo.”

She gave a warm shy smile. Besides her, Blackpink manager unnie also greeted Kyungsoo. He greeted her back and a thin shy smile crossed his lips.

“Are you also a regular here?”, asked Kyungsoo who was actually shy but tried to be polite.

She gave a slight shook of head. “This is my first time here actually, sunbaenim. I’ve been recommended by… A friend.”

The way she paused and how her cheeks grew red, Kyungsoo had a suspicion regarding who that ‘friend’ was. It was a common knowledge in EXO that Chanyeol had a soft spot for Rose ever since their collaboration in 2016’s Gayo Daejun, and the boys always suspected that their main rapper had made a move on her. Though he couldn’t be 100% sure of it, Kyungsoo felt that their suspicion was somewhat confirmed.

He nodded while replying, “I see. Well don’t worry, you’re in good hands here.”

Chaeyoung looked relief. “Thanks for your reassurance, sunbaenim.” She just realized what Kyungsoo was doing when they got here and quickly said, “Oh I’m sorry, sunbaenim! Please don’t let me disturb whatever you were doing.”

“It’s okay. I was just listening to some music”, said Kyungsoo lightly.

She nodded. “It’s a good song.”

Bruno Mars’ Versace on the Floor blasted from his earphone. Normally, panicking and immediately pausing the music would be his reaction, instead he smiled sheepishly then replied, “I see you have a good taste in music.”

Chaeyoung laughed. “Oh I wouldn’t know about that, sunbaenim. It’s just one song.”

“Hmm…” Kyungsoo played with the shuffle function on his playlist. He pulled out his earphone. “What about this?”

“Ooh I like it too~~!”

This went on a minute until Chaeyoung suddenly sang the song he showed her.

“Ah! My favorite song. I’m so into you, I can barely breathe. And all I wanna do is to fall in deep but close ain’t close enough ‘til we cross the line. So name a game to play, and I’ll roll the dice, hey~”

*I’m So Into You by Ariana Grande

Then she closed with her left hand, just realizing that her voice had fill the silent room. Kyungsoo was actually surprised but he smiled pleasantly. The receptionist and cashier even applauded and encouraged Chaeyoung to sing more.

“You have a really beautiful voice, Chaeyoung-ssi!”

“Don’t stop! Feel free to sing more.”

Her manager grinned at the red face Chaeyoung.

“Ottoke? I feel so embarrassed”, she spoke while covering her face with both hands.

He gave a soft laugh. “Don’t be. You have a lovely voice.”

“Ahh no, sunbaenim. You’re the one who has a beautiful voice. Especially when you sing in English, I really like it.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows lifted up while Chaeyoung quickly put a hand on .

Did she just accidently revealed her relationship with Yeolie??

Kyungsoo always collaborated with Chanyeol for English songs. Mostly Chanyeol would assist him by playing guitars or piano, or sing a duet. He could imagine Chaeyoung browsing videos of Chanyeol and stumbled into one of their English duet videos. At least that was the justification inside his head. How else would she know that I like to sing in English if not by looking at those videos of Yeolie and I?

He chuckled shyly. “Wow I don’t know how to respond to that. I feel flattered though.” He scratched his head.

Chaeyoung could only smiled awkwardly.

He played another song. No Air by Chris Brown and Jordin Sparks. Kyungsoo hummed the first part of the song (because he didn’t remember the lyrics) then Chaeyoung joined him in humming too (in the end she went full on singing to Jordin’s part–though she tried hard not to completely let out her voice).

“Oh then would you like to sing an English song with me?”

Kyungsoo didn’t know why he said that. He didn’t know what came over him.

“There’s this song I really want to sing but it’s a duet and I can’t do it with Chanyeol-ssi.”

Oops I accidently mentioned his name.

Chaeyoung raised her eyebrows, face full of suprise.

Kyungsoo browsed the lyric on his handphone then showed it to her. “This song.”

She looked at the song title then formed a small o.

“Let’s try!”, replied Chaeyoung with a hint of excitement in her eyes that took Kyungsoo by surprise.

“Really?? But… You have to excuse my English, it’s not that good”, told Kyungsoo.

“So is mine!”

Kyungsoo almost rolled his eyes at her but managed to stop the urge. Everyone in the K-Pop world knew how fluent Rosé’s English was.

He held up his mobile phone so they both could read the lyric. They decided to sing the boy’s and girl’s part then the chorus.

 

I just heard you found the one you’ve been looking

You’ve been looking for

I wish I would have known that wasn’t me

‘Cause even after all this time I still wonder

Why I can’t move on just the way you did so easily

 

Don’t wanna know what kind of dress you’re wearing tonight

If he’s holding onto you so tight

The way I did before

I overdosed

Should’ve known your love was a game

Now I can’t get you out of my brain

Oh, it’s such a shame

 

I just hope you’re lying next to somebody

Who knows how to love you like me

There must be a good reason that you’re gone

Every now and then I think you might want me to come show up at your door

But I’m just too afraid that I’ll be wrong

 

Don’t wanna know if you’re looking into her eyes

If she’s holding onto you so tight the way I did before

I overdosed

Should’ve known your love was a game

Now I can’t get you out of my brain

Oh, it’s such a shame

 

That we don’t talk anymore (We don’t, we don’t)

We don’t talk anymore (We don’t, we don’t)

We don’t talk anymore, like we used to do

We don’t love anymore (We don’t, we don’t)

What was all of it for? (We don’t, we don’t)

Oh, we don’t talk anymore, like we used to do

 

Ooh, it’s such a shame

That we don’t talk anymore~

After that they both looked at each other in pure awe and satisfaction. Once again their listeners clapped joyfully after their duet (Kyungsoo even had a slight feeling that Chaeyoung’s manager recorded them).

“Oh my God I wish I brought my guitar!”, exclaimed Chaeyoung cutely with a hint of regret.

Kyungsoo laughed. “To the dentist?”

She blinked a few times before joining his laughter. “Hahahaa come to think of it, it does sounds silly.”

He smiled. He didn’t think she was this… animated and friendly.

“Sunbaenim, your voice is so beautiful. You really fit this song”, praised Chaeyoung genuinely.

He shook his head, cheeks suddenly red. “Aah no. I think you’re the one with a mesmerizing voice.”

Chaeyoung was about to protest when her manager unnie spoke, “You both have amazing voices okay.”

It was apparent that they were both about to do the “Ahh no you’re the one bla bla” reply back and forth, so she made sure to stop it.

Kyungsoo and Chaeyoung looked at each other then giggled.

Her manager commented, “It’s so cool if you guys can do a real collaboration one day.”

She looked excitedly at her manager. “Oh my God that’s right, unnie! It’ll be much funnnn.” Then she turned to Kyungsoo. “Wouldn’t it, sunbaenim?”

Kyungsoo replied, “I’ll do it gladly.” Though we all know how slim that chance will be.

Chaeyoung unawarely pouted and said in a really low voice. “If only my company let me…”

She used English but he understood.

Suddenly the dentist room’s door opened and the young CEO walked to the cashier desk.

The nurse called for Kyungsoo.

“Kyungsoo-sii, you may go inside”, she said politely.

He fell silent for a while before replying, “I’ll go after Chaeyoung-ssi if that’s okay. She’s more in a hurry than me.”

The three women around him looked surprise.

“Aahh no sunbaenim! I came later after you, of course I should go after you!”, said Chaeyoung a bit flustered.

He spoke, “I’m fine. You have an early morning schedule right? Well I have a day off tomorrow and I’m not planning to go anywhere early in the morning. I don’t mind if you go in first.”

Chaeyoung still looked hesitant. “But…”

He reassured her. “I’m fine. Really. I insist.”

Her manager nudged her. She quickly dived into a low bow.

“THANK YOU SUNBAENIM.” She straightened her upper body then said, “I wish I can make you some macaroons and give it to you directly to show you how thankful I am.”

Her serious face made him laughed. “Don’t. I’m happy enough that you sang with me earlier. Eventhough you’re having a toothache.”

She smiled warmly. “Oh the pleasure was all mine, sunbaenim.”

She got up and with her manager bowed a couple of times to Kyungsoo before entering the dentist room.

Kyungsoo was astonished of how the night went by. He shook his head then replayed the song he just sang with Chaeyoung. This time he used his earphone.

He closed his eyes and reimangined the scene of them singing together in his head. A smile formed on his lips.

Around twenty minutes later, Chaeyoung and her manager appeared from the dentist room. She was now wearing a face mask.

She approached him while her manager went to the cashier desk.

“Sorry it took long, sunbaenim!”

He replied, “Don’t apologized. Is your throbbing better now?”

“Yes! I’ve received some medicine!”

He could imagine her wide smile under the face mask.

“That’s good”, said Kyungsoo.

Finally her manager went over to them, she and Chaeyoung bid goodbye to Kyungsoo.

He watched them disappeared behind the main door then walked his way to the dentist room.

“He’s really nice, I like him”, said manager unnie when they waited for the lift.

Chaeyoung smiled. “I like him too.”

---

The week after Kyungsoo was chilling in the living room, watching a drama on TV. Chanyeol suddenly barged in without a warning then plopped to sit beside him on the sofa. He was carrying his guitar.

“Kyungsoo-ah! Let’s practice Charlie Puth’s song!”

He was dumbfounded. “Huh?

“Chanyeolie hyung just heard that Rojé-ssi wants to do a duet with his song”, explained Sehun who casually entered the living room and joined his hyungs. He flashed a very cheeky grin.

“YAH SEHUNNIE!”, yelled Chanyeol whose ears went red. He hit Sehun with a pillow.

“….. She said that?”, asked a disbelieved Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol hid half of his face with his guitar. “Well… they were guesting on this radio show and Chaeyoung-ssi was asked with who she wanted to do a duet with and what song…”

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. “Oh really?”

Chanyeol nodded shyly. “She said there’s someone she wanted to do a duet with the song We Don’t Talk Anymore, but that someone is a secret.”

“It’s gotta be Chanyeol hyung, right?? I mean, who else??”, teased Sehun.

Chanyeol smacked their maknae hard on his upper arm. Sehun whined but then laughed at his hyung.

“How this kid managed to peep what I was watching I don’t know…” Chanyeol shook his head.

“Not my fault you didn’t close your door properly.”

Kyungsoo gave a lighthearted smile.

“Okay Chanyeolie, let’s practice that song.”

It was one of Kyungsoo’s favorite song now after all.