Would you?

Forever Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Warning: Long chapter ahead. As I have mentioned before, this one-shot was modified, some scenes were changed from what I have initially written. Nevertheless, I think this turned out better than the first one. I hope you’ll enjoy reading. =^o^=

 

Would U – by Red Velvet and Forever/Always – by Park Bo Ram are my inspired music for this fic, that’s why there were some lyrics of the songs incorporated in this one-shot. You can listen to the songs, as well, somehow adding some flicker vibe in it while reading.

The bold words happened in the past, while the italicized words are the secret thoughts of the characters.

Have fun reading!

 

 

Mino checked his watch again with a dreary sigh. It’s been half an hour yet Irene haven’t shown up. They were supposed to have lunch together. It’s always like this and he’s, to be honest, starting to lose his cool. No one dared to make the infamous eye candy, of the female population, Song Mino wait, ever.

He’s at the rim of exploding when his phone reverberated in his pocket. His face turned into an unfathomable turmoil upon seeing his girlfriend’s name.

After a few seconds of hesitation, he picked up. “What the hell happened to lunch?” He strived to hide his annoyance in his monotonous voice.

“I’m sorry. I got caught up in the infirmary. I promise I’ll make it up to you.” She sounded so guilty on the other line. All of a sudden, his irritation was gusted away, gone along with the wind, and it shifted to worry this time. “Infirmary? Are you okay? What happened to you? Are you sick? Why didn’t you tell me?" It was then his turn to feel guilty for getting upset.

She chuckled. “Too many unanswered questions, do I have to answer all of them?” She teased.

“Irene…”

“Alright, I’m sorry. I’m okay. Nothing happened to me. But to Seulgi, there is. This idiot had gone to class while burning in fever. I had to rush her here.” Irene explained, slightly faltering with a shaky breath.

Seulgi. Of course, it will always be Seulgi. Mino thought bitterly. Whenever his girlfriend missed out on their simple lunch dates, just like now, and even the planned ones, he would later on find out that Irene was with Seulgi.

Mino understood, even before he decided to date the campus crush, Bae Joohyun. His friends had warned him beforehand if he’s sure on dating Irene because Seulgi and her are the best of friends, those two are an inseparable pair, wherein, one cannot coexist without the other.

The first two months of going out with the girl, it was bearable.

He was even complacent that Irene would choose him over her best friend, thus far to his surprise, one night when they’re in the middle of their meal, Irene left her because of an emergency. Mino thought it was urgent about family matter, and oh boy he was wrong, so wrong when he found out the next day that Seulgi’s Golden Retriever died. His girlfriend bolted out because Seulgi’s dog died. From that sole experience, he realized that it’s not that easy to date Joohyun just as he predicted it.

“Oh, Seulgi… is she okay now?” He asked in courtesy, he’s not that wicked to hate Seulgi when she’s sick but a part of him, the shadiest part of him, wanted to ask if she could leave Seulgi just this once…for him.

“Her fever hasn’t died down yet. And I’m sorry for bailing out on you this time. I already feel guilty. But I can’t leave Seulgi alone.” She sighed on the other line and Mino pursed his lips as his grip on his phone tightened.

“It’s okay.” Not okay, you always choose her.

“Thanks, Mino…for understanding.”

“No problem, I totally understand.” I don’t understand it, not at all.

Then Mino heard a faint rustling noise before Irene spoke, “Listen, I’ll see you later. Okay? Seulgi is awake. Take care, bye.”

Irene had ended the call prior to saying his proper good bye.

 

 

“I told you. I’m okay now, Hyun. Your boyfriend might kill me for eating up your time again.” Seulgi tried to sit on the bed on her own while Irene bolted to her side to help her. The older girl’s grip on the blonde lady in front of her was firm, several small lines formed in between of Irene’s eyebrows. “Seul, I won’t leave you. Not when you look like . We already talked. He understands.”

Seulgi snorted at the absurd belief of her best friend that Song Mino understood. She would even bet her life that the guy, with every fiber in his body even the smallest particle, doesn’t understand.

“Yeah, right. I can totally see him glaring at me over the phone earlier. Who told you to rush to me when you clearly had plans with him?” She rolled her eyes.

“My heart…” Irene blurted out of the blue, causing the other girl to gawk at her in absolute astonishment. The intense stare of the raven had shunned her eyes to her trembling fingers.

When you keep looking at me, it’s awkward, why is it like this?

Seulgi didn’t expect this at all, unexpectedly, her stomach stirred up in anxiousness.

“I mean… my heart. I almost had a heart attack b-because of you. Who told you to go to school in this condition? You’re such an idiot, Seul.” Her words stumbled rather quickly upon grasping the change of the atmosphere. She almost slapped herself from looking stupid in front of her sick best friend.

No matter how much I erase you, your soul cannot be erased. It has become a bruise in my heart.

Irene made a move away from her friend when the latter held her wrist, without looking directly at her.

“I-I’m sorry, Hyun. I’m always a nuisance to you.”

“You’ve always been there for me all this time. I haven’t thank you enough for all of your efforts. So…thank you.” Seulgi bit her lower lip. Her heart was almost swelling from the simple gestures of her friend. She didn’t know what could have been her contributions in her previous life to even deserve Irene on her side right now.

Seulgi had trust issues herself. It was all because of her previous circle of friends. She was so lost in trying to be the best friend she could ever be. She wasn’t able to notice that she’s being too kind, letting people to freely abuse her. She trusted them so much that she ended up being deceived. Until, she woke up one day, she was all alone. She had no idea what she did to lose the people whom she thought would stick to her. Only then she realized that some people will only love you if you fit into their box, apparently she didn’t. Ever since, she’s been awkward with anyone. She wanted to make friends but she didn’t know how.

…Except for that one fateful day.

 

 

Irene was not one who will approach someone even if she wanted to make friends. She’s rather shy about it.

It’s the first day of school as a college student and just like anybody else, Irene was scared. Her stomach churn at the sight of some students in small groups scattered around her while chatting with familiarity to each other. She felt like a small mushroom that popped out of nowhere in the midst of a wild forest.

All of a sudden, she wondered that maybe, just maybe, deciding to pursue her career away from her comfort zone was nothing but a bad idea.

She sighed wistfully, doing what she knew best, as she leaned on the metal railing across the laboratory room while waiting for the professor to arrive, quietly, since the door was locked. But the next thing that happened was uncalled for. Mentally, slapping herself for being awkward.

Irene locked gazes with a certain someone, with a blonde hair that fell shortly over her shoulders. The stranger with cat-like eyes, her lips forming into a warm smile, abruptly, hid her brown orbs as it turned into a shape of crescent moons.

Irene’s heart stopped. Her breath was unjustly taken away from her. With just one smile her head went blank.

How can someone be so breathtakingly attractive without exerting too much effort? She asked herself. She seemed to be melting under the soft gaze of the stranger that she chose to put her head down with a slight shade of red creeping up her cheeks.

“Hi~” A soft voice reached Irene’s ears and for good brief seconds, her shoulders visibly rose and fell before shifting her head to the unfamiliar lady. “H-hi.” She stammered vulnerably that the girl before her had to stifle a laugh at how adorable Irene was.

“I’m Kang Seulgi. What’s your name?” Seulgi tilted her head while innocently blinking at the other.

“Irene…I mean Bae Joohyun.” Irene blinked until her lips curved into a charming smile, and for a slight moment…it was bright, too bright for Seulgi that she thought she might go blind. This time it was Kang Seulgi’s turn to be caught up in a trance as she admired the goddess-like beauty of the female in front of her.

“So which really is it?” Seulgi teased. “Irene…Joohyun. I don’t know, which one do you prefer?” Irene shrugged playfully.

“I’ll call you, Hyun then.” She grinned.

The timing of their first meeting was oddly perfect. And that’s how their friendship started.

 

 

“Seuuuuuul~” Irene whined like a child as she flopped beside the younger girl who’s busy flipping pages on her history book. They were at the small living room of Joy and Seulgi’s dorm.

Seulgi didn’t bother looking up on purpose, making the raven’s eyes twitch in annoyance for the other’s lack of enthusiasm.

“Did you just ignore me Kang Seulgi?”

From Seulgi’s peripheral view, she can sense how her best friend had been drilling holes to her head using her eyes. So she decided to tease Irene more by playfully ignoring her, until she explodes.

“Hmmm,” was her curt response with a slight nod, her eyes still focused on the book pages, although she wasn’t exactly reading it.

Seulgi silently counted to 1…2…3…until.

A hard slap had connected to her right arm, causing her to laugh heartily instead of yelping in pain. Truth be told, the hit of Irene left a throbbing pain on her skin but the priceless reaction that she always got from her precious goddess best friend was, definitely, worth a thousand slaps.

Then it hit Irene, profusely gaping at her friend whose busy giggling adorably on the leather couch.

“You’re doing this on purpose.” Irene’s lips were pressed into a thin line. “Idiot!”

Irene puffed her cheeks before standing to leave the other girl alone but thank God that Seulgi’s reflexes were suave to snatch her best friend’s arm just in time. Irene’s back clashed to the latter’s hold. “I’m sorry, Hyun. It’s just… you’re so freaking adorable.” The blonde bit her lower lip in attempt to hide an amused smile, crawling against her lips.

Irene playfully elbowed the other as she flipped her raven, wavy locks to her back following a dorky eye roll. The idiot Kang giggled at the sight and she couldn’t get enough off of her friend.

“What brings you here, anyway?”

“I’m here to ask a favor from you. Apparently, you’re too busy to even pay attention to me. So…” She faked a grimace, this time, it’s her time for Irene’s playful side to come out and play as payback. “…I’ll just ask someone else.” Fortunate for her, she managed to maintain the deadpanned look on her face. But deep inside, she was dying from laughing hysterically at her best friend’s unreadable expression.

“Unnieeeeeeeeeee~”

“What?” She asked with her eyebrow arching.

She decided to turn her back from Seulgi to hide her trembling lips that were itching to quirk way upwards. But what she did, delay her from sensing the next move of Seulgi that she wasn’t able to organize her thoughts properly.

A pair of arms worked its way to the older girl’s waist, so as to; her mind took time to process what was happening. It was like her brain hibernated for a while. She couldn’t move nor think. The silence that enveloped them for a few seconds was rather restless. Irene swore she could almost hear a faint heart beating rapidly, working in a bizarre speed as it pumps more blood into their system. She doesn’t know if it was hers or Seulgi’s to begin with.

Suddenly, her frame looked so small.

“Bae Joohyun. You’re techniques are quite low-key for me to fall into your trap. I’m Kang Seulgi, your best friend, remember?” Seulgi’s soft whispers brushed against the goddess’ neck that made her shiver in both fright and uneasiness.

She felt queasy inside.

And to Irene’s idiotic move, the temperature in the room augmented in a matter of seconds. She suddenly regretted whirling around. Now, their faces were dangerously a few inches away from each other.

When I lift my head to look at you, the footsteps of my heart grow louder.

The two girls had their very own staring contest. No one bothered letting go. At that very moment, both were holding their breaths, heart began to knock furiously against their ribcage, and yet they managed to standstill while looking composed on the outside shell of their soul.

Their position was unmoving until they heard a small gasp, snapping them from their own world.

“The are you doing? Get a room, will you?” Joy scowled as they pulled apart with awkward silence. “I don’t even wanna know how you ended up almost kissing each other, goodness!”

“Shut your mouth, Joy.” They both squeaked in unison. Joy had to roll their eyes at them. “Yes, yes. It’s Joy’s fault and now she has to shut .” Joy lifted her hands in absolute surrender.

“Irene unnie…why don’t you just live here?”

“Huh?”

“You’re always here 24/7. Shall we switch dorms?” Joy teased. “Hell, no! You’re just trying to talk me into your greatest desire to sleep with Yeri.” The older girl shuddered.

“Heh~ what a naughty unnie.”

“I meant sleeping. Literally! What the are you talking about?” Irene roared, subsequently, she began to make a run to catch Joy.

The younger girl shrieked while laughing as she tried to hide in Seulgi’s back.

 

 

Mino and Irene sat at their usual spot at the very corner of the University’s canteen; given that the girl had insisted the first time they had their lunch as a couple. More often than not, the campus crush Irene would sit there with Seulgi and her gang. But ever since she started dating Mino, it was him who usually accompanies her having their set of lunch dates. Not that she ditched her friends for him, it was more of they don’t wish to see the girl with the guy doing what couple’s should be doing.

Irene was munching on her Coleslaw sandwich when Mino mentioned something about the upcoming Cultural Festival in their department. The couple was assigned to do the opening seeing as half of the University population knew how they killed the performance during Foundation day last February. They’re not yet a couple at that time.

“We need to start practicing, babe.” Mino muffled with his mouth full. Irene looked up with an indecipherable expression; nevertheless, the wide grin plastered on her boyfriend’s face troubled her.

Something’s telling her that she’s not going to like whatever idea he had in mind.

“Do you already have an idea what to perform at the opening?” She had to ask as cautious as possible because her guts was telling her to be attentive.

“Of course. It’s perfect… perfect enough to make the crowd go wild.” He beamed as if it was the brightest idea ever. Yet Irene wasn’t able to grasp what was happening. Then she froze upon remembering the day when Mino told her that someday he wished to perform Trouble Maker, the controversial dance performance of the idols’ Hyuna and Hyunsung, with the girl he likes.

He wouldn’t dare, would he? She wanted to believe that he wouldn’t but the smug look on his face told her otherwise. “Wait…Mino, don’t tell me…”

“Oh, it’s definitely that. Trouble Maker.” He wiggled his eyebrows with a twinkle in his eyes. “What do you say?”

“I don’t think it’s…permissible. Mino the choreography of the dance is a bit…” She shuddered at the thought of dancing the infamous dance that almost flipped the world upside down. She already watched that performance. Still, she couldn’t visualize herself dancing it. Not now, not ever.

Mino held her hand reassuringly signaling that everything will turn out good. “Trust me on this one. It’s just a dance babe. It’s not like we’re doing inappropriate.”

She bit her lip but nodded anyway. She just hoped that she won’t regret any of it.

 

 

“Babe, let’s hang out after practice. I heard a newly open coffee shop a few blocks away from our University.” The couple was walking along the hallway while Mino was holding Irene’s hand. Most of the students admired the power duo because they all thought how perfect they are for each other.

“I…well. I need to attend another meeting with music club. Our adviser just told us that selected members are going to perform and I’m one of them so…maybe after the meeting?” She tried to bargain in hopes that her boyfriend would understand. For the past months of being a couple she somewhat felt that, maybe, just maybe, she’s being a terrible girlfriend for being busy and not paying too much attention on him. As a result, when he tried to make an effort to be with her, she just couldn’t refuse him.

“Okay great! That’s a plan then.” Mino softened. At least she was making a shot to be with him despite her hectic schedule, he thought. This was better than none at all.

In a span of two hours, they were able to practice half of the choreography. Truth be told, Irene was somehow uncomfortable with some of the oppressive steps that they had to be so close to each other. She knew that she shouldn’t be too stiff around him since he was her boyfriend but there were things that you can’t control. She just hoped that her awkwardness will be kept unnoticed.

Since it was almost 4 pm they decided to call it a day.

Irene dabbed her towel on her sweaty face down to her neck when Mino walked to her with a bottle of water in hand. He handed it to her after twisting the cap with ease; she gladly took it and thanked him before gulping an ample amount of the liquid.

“Come, I’ll walk you to the music club room.” He offered.

“Actually, there’s no need. Someone’s going to fetch me.”

“W-who~”

He was cut-off by a familiar feminine voice that he loathed the most. “Hyun, let’s go.” Seulgi nonchalantly stepped into the spacious room only to halt when she saw Mino staring straight back at her.

The goddess scrunched up her nose and shook her head after checking her pink-colored Baby-G watch adorning her wrist.

She whipped her to her boyfriend with a soft smile. “I’ll see you later, okay?” She left a light peck on his cheek before she turned away and sauntered towards her best friend.

“Sure,” He let out a shaky breath while observing how the two interacted. Irene slapped her friend’s arm and the other just laughed. That laugh he doesn’t like to hear. Everything about Seulgi seemed to irk Mino even when he was fully aware that they’re just friends.

“What? I’m not late. You told me to come around 4 pm.”

“It’s 20 minutes past 4, Seul.” Irene groaned with a small whine as she said the other girl’s name.

Seulgi eyed her friend warily. “You said around 4. So basically, it’s in between 3:59 to 5 pm. You’re so confusing at times.”

“Are you purposely trying to piss me off?”

“No!”

“You’re such an idiot Seul. You’re making me fight the urge to slap you.” Irene muttered darkly, walking at her unusual fast pace to leave her friend behind.

Mino’s hold on the strap of his duffel bag tightened.

 

 

Mino was with his best friend, Seungyoon, at the mall. The prick was able to haul him around. He was supposed to be spending his vacant time with Irene right now. However, her girlfriend was unreachable. He had sent several messages to her, asking where she was but there was no reply. Worry began to cloud his mind that he didn’t notice his friend calling.

“Ya! Mino. Isn’t that Irene?” At the name of his girlfriend being mentioned, it was enough for him to wake up from his trance. Irene? Where?

He lifted his head to see Irene being chummy with…Seulgi. Of course, who would be the one blocking their supposed date besides Seulgi?

He didn’t know how he ended up in front of Irene in a matter of seconds when he was just undoubtedly with Yoon earlier.

“I don’t understand. I waited for you. We already made plans. Then, I’ll bump into you at the mall with Seulgi?!” Mino glared at his girlfriend, hurt was evident in his eyes. Irene’s doe-like orbs rounded in horror as soon as she remembered that they would be visiting the coffee shop after the meeting.

 

“Babe, let’s hang out after practice. I heard a newly open coffee shop a few blocks away from our University.”

“I…well. I need to attend another meeting with music club. Our adviser just told us that selected members are going to perform and I’m one of them so…maybe after the meeting?”

“Okay great! That’s a plan then.”

 

She winced. .

“I’m sorry. Oh my god, it slipped my mind. The meeting ended earlier than I expected. Plus, I’m here with the guys. Not only Seul.” She looked helpless because she knew that she’s at fault. On the other hand, the way he addressed Seulgi sounded alarming. It was as if he was accusing her best friend and she felt the need to protect her. It wasn’t Seulgi’s fault, not an ounce of liability at the situation.

“Unbelievable!” He fumed with his hands way up over his head in surrender. “Maybe I’m at the bottom of your priority list. You were able to have time with them without even planning. You’re making me feel that we’re not even in a relationship.” He spat.

She bit her lip, on the spot, she felt guilty for forgetting about their date. And all she could do was to apologize. “I’m sorry. I’ll make it up to you.” She said so softly. All this while, she couldn’t afford to meet his gaze as she fiddled with her palms.

“You know what? Just get out of my sight. Don’t make promises you can’t even keep.”

Her eyes widened at how cold he was. She buried her face in her palms as she started to sob as he left.

 

 

After the incident, Seulgi told Yeri and Wendy to go home first, she will be the one to handle Irene. The two approved without any protest. The moment the two best friends stepped in Seulgi’s dorm, Irene had calm down, although her eyes were still puffy from crying at the mall.

Joy came out of the room, wearing a comfortable black jeans and a loose shirt, after she took a shower. “Look at you. You’re here again, unnie.” She joked, and then she froze when she noticed the older girl’s glum look. She asked Seulgi what happened through her eyes but the girl just glared at Joy.

“Ya. Don’t start. Or you’ll be eaten alive by Joohyun.” Seulgi warned. Joy snorted before flopping on the couch across them.

“Eww, no thanks. I’ll prefer Yeri than this unnie. I might die early, because someone will kill me if ever that happens.” She pretend to gag that’s when Seulgi chucked a throw pillow right at her face

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter