Chapter 2

Fly Me To Seoul

 

Everything went fine, and the third night arrived.

Alyssa came down from her room (which in her opinion, was nothing less than a room out of a fairy tale book, with her own television, mini-fridge, adjacent toilet, queen-sized bed, and even a small, artificial fire place?!?!?!?) for dinner, and joined her mother at the table.

Her mother looked up from the dishes of food she was heating up.

“Oh, I was just about to call you down! Anyway, dear, I have something very important to tell you.”

Alyssa fidgeted in her seat. She had a feeling she knew what this was about.

“You’ll be starting school on Monday.” Alyssa stiffened. She knew it’d be soon, but two days?

“But today’s Friday,” she whispered, and her mother nodded.

“I know it’s a bit soon, but you grandfather said that the sooner you start, the easier it’d be for you. The first two months of the school term are already gone, it’s best for you to join in now.”

Alyssa stared at her plate, processing the fact that in two days, she’d be in a new school, with thousands of new people surrounding her, and being called ‘the new kid’.

“The school’s name is Seoul International High, so don’t worry, it’s on an English Medium. You’ll be fine.”

Her mother started serving the food when Alyssa didn’t respond. “Oh, and sweetheart, can I ask you something?”

Alyssa gave her mother a questioning look.

“You seem really… tense and serious, ever since we came here. You don’t seem that happy, Alyssa. Is something the matter?”

Alyssa shrugged. “It’s nothing. I like this place a lot.”

Her mother smiled and nodded. “Of course. Take your time to get used to it, but would it really hurt to smile once in a while?”

Alyssa broke into a big grin, both at her mother’s words and the sight of all the food.

Food was her constant best friend.

“I’m fine mum. Don’t worry about me, okay?”

The two of them tucked into a sumptuous dinner, the mood in the house slightly happier.

 

-

 

“Take her straight to the mall, and drop her off before the traffic light, not after, do you understand?”

Alyssa smiled embarrassedly as her mother gave precise instructions to the taxi driver.

She’d wanted to take a bus, but her mum had made it very clear that it was already worrying enough for her to be going on her own, considering that she’d only been there for three days.

“Don’t be too long, okay sweetheart? And call me immediately if you need anything! And answer the phone if I call you!”

“I will, mum! Relax, I’ll be back before you know it!”

The taxi drove off, and Alyssa sunk into the back seat.

To think that she was only going to the mall to pick up her school supplies.

It was only about a 10 minute ride, and Alyssa got off and paid, crossed the rode at the traffic light like her mother had reminded her to, and stepped into the mall for the first time ever.

She looked around, no longer surprised that the only difference between this mall and the malls in New York were the bilingual signs and the employees.

She looked at the mall directory and started her way up to the third floor on the escalator, glancing around at the other people.

Most of them were dressed trendily, and Alyssa regretted her choice of putting on just a pair of jeans, a casual tee shirt, and slipping on a cardigan.

The girls in the mall were also ridiculously pretty, with flawless skin and adorable features, and Alyssa felt like an ogre beside them.

However, no one seemed to take any notice of her as she proceeded to the large stationary outlet.

Her eyes widened as she walked closer to it, because it was really big and crowded, and the queues were – “Oh my god, is that you??!?!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?”

Alyssa jumped with shock when a random, extremely tall boy leapt in front of her, both his eyes and mouth wide open.

“W-what? Who the hell are you?” she exclaimed, more rudely than she had meant to.

“What? Oh . Sorry, I think I’ve got the wrong person.” He turned away abruptly, and Alyssa’s eyes darted straight to the scar at the back of his neck.

“Holy cow. Zelo? Is that you, freak?”

The boy swivelled around.

“Oh my god!!!!! It really is you!!!!!!!” He leapt at her again, this time wrapping her arms tightly around her in a massive bear hug.

“Gosh, Alyssa, what in the world are you doing in Korea?” Zelo finally asked when they started walking side by side into the stationery outlet.

“Looking for my long lost baby cousin,” she laughed, and Zelo scratched the back of his neck with a chuckle.

“Hey, but you’ve really grown. You’re not that short anymore,” she stated after explaining why she was in Seoul, and Zelo gave her an incredulous look.

“No kidding. I’m the tallest in my year!” he said proudly.

“Aww,” Alyssa squealed before hugging him again, and Zelo squirmed as people turned to look at them.

“You’re still the same, aren’t you? I’ve missed you a lot, Zelo!”

The boy returned the hug to his older cousin.

“I can’t believe you’re actually here! I can’t believe you didn’t tell me you were coming!”

Alyssa bit her lower lip. “It was all decided in a bit of a hurry, we didn’t actually tell anyone except for grandpa and grandma…”

Zelo looked thoughtful. “Tell me the whole story someday. So, how does it feel like to finally see the country of your origins?”

“I’ll be honest,” Alyssa laughed, “It isn’t actually as different as I’d thought it would be. It seems nice enough, though.”

“Yeah? That’s great!” he glanced at his phone briefly, fingers moving fast. “Oh look, I just told mum that you and ajimmuni are coming over for dinner tonight!”

“What? Zelo, I’m not sure if I can!” Alyssa protested, but then realised that there would be no reason for her not to.

It wasn’t like she actually had anything to do here.

“Too bad, you’re coming!” Zelo grinned, and Alyssa didn’t dispute anymore.

“Okay, okay! Now shut up and help me find the stuff I need for school!”

“School? What school are you going to?!” Zelo asked excitedly, pumping a fist into the air when Alyssa responded.

“That’s my school!”

Alyssa laughed, getting a little giddy from all the excitement.

“You can’t be serious! Hey, we really are fated…” she giggled, remembering the game she and Zelo used to play when they were younger.

(“You try to tell me what I’m thinking when I say a word, okay?” Five-year-old Zelo waddled over and instructed older-but-only-by-two-years Alyssa. “Okay, okay, let’s do this.” She accepted the challenge. “Duck!” Zelo yelled, and Alyssa responded smugly. “Worm.” “You’re right!” Zelo exclaimed, aghast at the smartness of his older cousin.)

“Yeah man! I would date you, you know, if you weren’t older, and my cousin, and well… you.”

Alyssa smacked his arm. “What’s that supposed to mean? And ew, stop being so wishful.”

The two of them bickered the entire time, all the way until Alyssa found everything she needed and paid for them.

They walked out of the mall together, and Zelo flagged down a taxi for her.

“Hey freak, take my number. Call me okay! We could… have a drink sometime.” Alyssa winked as she slid into the backseat of the cab, and Zelo snorted with laughter as he let her key in her number into his phone.

The taxi revved up and started driving off, and they waved to each other until Zelo disappeared from Alyssa’s view.

There was an alert of her phone, and just as she had expected, it was from Zelo.

“Yo big nose, here’s my address. Be there by 8pm sharp, I don’t like being hungry. See ya! ;-)”

Alyssa chuckled, knowing how her mother would react when she told her about her encounter at the mall.

No doubt she’d be shocked, excited, and then go into a mad rush of fixing her hair and finding an outfit for the evening.

Alyssa also knew that once they’d read Zelo’s house, her mother and her aunt would plant themselves on the couch and chat until past midnight.

When Zelo and his mother had gone over to New York to visit them, Alyssa remembered how she could still hear the two women gossiping long after everyone had gone to bed.

She sighed wistfully, the surprise of seeing her favourite cousin still not having sunk in fully.

If this was Korea, then Korea was definitely fun.

But was her nose really that big? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I present to you... /drumrolls/... ZELO!!!!! hehe

Thanks to everyone who commented and subscribed! ♥