1 - Fight Or Die

Samurai Girl

(The story is playing in an old century, do not be confused)


In a lonely village, there lives a korean-american girl named Jung, Jung Jessica and her family. Her father is a retired general, who didn't quit for his age. Not at all. He is only 45 to be exact. He retired because he had to witness his brother getting killed when they defended South Korea from the Japanese Army. Jessica is just 16, she couldn't remember when her father was gone to fight, nor she does know the reason why he isn't a general anymore. She didn't even ask him all these years, but this time she is too curious.

She went out of her room, which she shares with her little sister Krystal and made sure she would make no noise while walking down to their father who happened to be in the living room and watch political battles in their black/white TV. She didn't make it tho, she failed at the stairs. Their house is very old and needs to be reconstructed, but they ddon't have the money for that. Their roof is made out of thin wood, it would rain through at times. Their stairs and floor are made out of thicker wood which would make too much noise when walking on it. Their walls are made out of remaining bricks from a past war.

Jessica tried to hide at the stairs, but she could hear her father's footsteps. He would always come to look at to check the situation when he heard something suspicious.

"Jessica, I see you. Come down.", she followed his strict words and took the seat next to him on the couch. She was really nervous, she didn't knew how she should ask her father why he retired as a general, she knew how mad her father can get if one hurts his feelings, she didn't wanna risk that. But she knew her silence does not bring her anywhere, she needs to know it now to satisfy her curiousity.

"Father, may I ask you something?", the man nodded and but didn't look at her, he was too focused to stare into the TV. "Why did you give up as a general?". There it was, the dangerous silence Jessica was so afraid of. Her father had turned his head to her and giving her a blank, emotionless stare. "Excuse me. I'll be back."

He walked in the kitchen to approach his wife and the mother of his children, he couldn't believe anyone would ever ask him about this again. "Jessica asked me why I retired as a general.", his wife sighed and walked near him and put her hands on both his shoulders. "I think it's time to let them know, you can't just hide it away forever. I will be with you.", the married couple gave each other a kiss and the mother ran upstairs to get her younger child, Krystal, so that she'll be aware of this to.

After 5 minutes of waiting, the whole family had set down on the table.

"Children, I think it's time for you to know the truth about why I retired 10 years ago, I owe you that. It all started when we went into war to defend our country from the Japanese Army, I was there with my brother and..."

FLASHBACK

We are asking all generals and all soliders to protect the front on 1p.m today. The japanese army is going to invade us today. I give everyone my luck, do well, for our nation, for our country, for our children, mothers, brothers & fathers. Make us proud. These were the final words my the president of South Korea, this was the time Il-Sung & Bong-Chol knew they had to leave home without being sure if they will ever return to their families. Bong-Chol was only 35 years old and he was already a leading General, he knew what to do to carry on his country's pride. "Bong-Chol, come on now. We have to go and defend our country." The brothers wore their uniform and packed the last stuff they needed, they walked down in the living room and saw their mother crying. They hugged her and kissed her goodbye. "My sons, promise me to come back alive, I cannot lose you.", Il-Sung broke the silence and hit her with a hurtful truth. "Mom, we can't promise you such impossible thing. We love you, goodbye."

1p.m, at the front.

The japanese were coming, you could see them from afar. he citizens all got one last warning to hide and get in a safe place. Bong-Chol was taking one last look at the pictures of his mother, his wife & his 6 year old daughter whose first day in school was supposed to be today. It was his reason to fight, to keep South Korea safe. 

They could see the japanese army coming by horses, they shoot at them multiple times to keep up their process of arriving early, which helped, they also killed around 40 soldiers in the first 5 minutes already. Not long after, the first scream of pain from the korean side was heard, he got shot in his arm. The koreans were upgrading and sent out more soldiers to fight, they needed it. What they didn't knew is, the japanese had ninjas who would be way too fast to see, it was impossible to defeat them all.

"Bong-Chol!! Flee!! Run away!!", his older brother has yelled at him hysterically.

"I am a general, I have to stay. I can't leave you alone.", his brother got in a even more worried tone. "You need to be there for Jiwon, for Jessica, for Mom!! Now flee before they ki--". A weird silence had disturbed the conversation, he saw blood coming out his brothers body, a sword got hit through his chest. He couldn't hold back his tears. He had to run away. He needed to. He got shot several time in his left leg, which left him falling on the floor and being picked up by the army nurse. She cleaned his founds and asked him out. "Why did you try to run away?", he looked at her, blankly for 10 minutes. "My brother died..My wife, my child, my mother..I don't know if they're safe now..", she gave him a comforting look. "If you use the back door, there is a car which will bring you back to Busan. Go to your family. I will handle this for you.", he nodded and listened to what the nurse told.

END OF FLASHBACK

".....It was a fight or die. He didn't fight in that moment, so he had to die. And I am the reason, it was my fault.", the little Krystal ran to her father, who picked her up and then hugged him. "But you are the reason why we exist! I love you dad!"

He smiled at his younger daughter but then something he planned got in his head. "Jessica, you'll be seeing a matchmaker tomorrow.", a shocked emotion has shown on her face. Her parents didn't knew she was into girls, she needed a way to get out of this. But she couldn't hurt her dad after hearing what he said.

"Alright dad. Thank you.."

 

 

HELLO THERE! How do you like this chapter so far? It took some time to update this but the first chapter is finally here and if you have suggestions please leave it in the comments!