REFLECTION

Mental: Patient Zero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leisure room – Day time:

An undeniable discomfort filled the air. Following the asylum guidelines, the two final candidates were forced to keep each other company. While RM didn’t show much interest as he kept himself trapped in his own bubble; on the other hand, Lucy broke free from her coyness and decided to give RM a taste of her own medicine.

Determined, she interrupted the lost boy’s pensive state, “Hey there, what are you up to?”

Wary of her intentions, he gave her the side eye, “What do you care?”

“You know me, I’m nosy,” she stuck her tongue out. “Besides, just because you’re quiet it doesn’t mean that you don’t have something up your sleeve.”

“Aren’t you a connoisseur,” he snickered, “I thought I was clear when I said that I don’t need you to fix me, and if my memory serves me right you said that you weren’t going to either way.”

“Well, let’s just say I’m bored and lonely, and you’re boring and lonesome. I’m sure we can work something out,” she pushed his buttons.

RM considered her offer for a solid minute, “I’m sure we can.”

Lucy rejoiced, “That’s the spirit roomie! What do you have in mind?”

“How about this,” he took a deep breath, “You mind your own business and leave me be, and everybody’s happy.”

“I’m not sure that’ll make me happy,” she disregarded his scheme.

“I know for a fact I’ll be ecstatic,” her frustration amused him. “Now please, don’t waste your energy on me and focus on saving yourself instead.”

Lucy thought to herself, “Over my comatose body.”

Healing room – Day time:

To soothe the situation, Nurse Abby joined the roommates on their weekly session. Although staff was usually denied access, she was more of a mother figure to the residents and her presence always loosened the tension.

“Well, this is awkward,” RM enunciated.

“It wouldn’t be if you decided to just stick to the guidelines,” Lucy countered.

“Now, now,” Nurse Abby meddled, “I am not here to play judge, so don’t even think of starting a fight in front of me.”

“Nurse Abby is right,” Lucy followed, “I know we have our differences, but would it kill you to act decent just for once?”

“Beasts are not decent, wake up Lucy,” RM mouthed.

Getting off her seat, Nurse Abby heaved a sigh of displeasure, “From what I see, my presence here is irrelevant so I’ll just leave you to it.”

“You’re leaving me with this nuisance?” the strong-headed pair shouted at once.

“At least you’re agreeing on something. Make sure to go back to your ward after this session and please, no funny business after curfew,” the nurse advised before exiting the room.

 “Well, this session has been beneficial,” Lucy engaged with a dose of sarcasm.

“Very beneficial,” RM replicated, “I’ll race you to the dorm, nuisance.”

Doctor X’s office – Night time:

For the past year, RM’s individual assessments were all the same: After trying his best to remember his past and failing miserably to do so, he eventually gave up mid-session and went back to his ward with one more unsuccessful evaluation. Deep down,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter