Accidents

This is N.Flying

"Okay, so aside from Hun and Kwangjin, you two don't know what powers you have?" Hweseung asked, to which Seunghyub nodded.

They were eating breakfast in the living room while watching the morning news. Kwangjin was out running then so it was only the four of them. 

"I think mine has got something to do with Harry Potter but i've been playing with stuff for weeks now and i still haven't gotten any result," Jaehyun replied half-asleep.

"Uhm, doesn't Harry Potter have a wand?" Hweseung asked. 

"I use my drumstick, dummy. I've been trying to Wingardium Leviosa cat Hun for the last three days but nothing!" Jaehyun exclaimed as he made a grab for the bread and tore into it heartily. 

Just then, Kwangjin burst into the living room, his skin glistening with sweat but it was the panicked looked in his eyes that alerted them of something. 

"What's wrong?" Seunghyub asked suddenly serious. 

"I-uh, I did s-something," Kwangjin replied. "There was an old lady and she needed help with all of her stuff so of course i went to help her but then this car came out of nowhere and i panicked and the next thing i know, i was carrying both the old lady on one hand and lifting the car on another," he said in one breath.  

", Kwangjin! We said no powers in public!" Seunghyub exclaimed. 

"Language!" Hun quipped at the same time looking at Hweseung worriedly. 

"Well I'm sorry! I panicked, okay?! It was just- i acted on instinct. But i don't think anyone saw me except for the driver and the old woman. There were no people on the street as far as i can remember," Kwangjin said.

Seunghyub stood up and signaled Kwangjin to follow him outside. The door shut behind them leaving the three younger members to worry. 

"What do you think they're doing?" Jaehyun asked. There was no hint of joke in his tone this time. 

Hun shrugged. "Knowing Seunghyub hyung, they'll probably go back to the place and maybe talk to the old lady and the motorcycle driver."

Hweseung kept quiet. He was nervous not just for Kwangjin but also for the entire group. Somehow, he was banking on the fact that they were still not that popular so there's a possibility that Kwangjin won't be recognized. 

 


 

Sure enough, Seunghyub asked Kwangjin to go back to the place where the incident happened. It was just two blocks away from their dorm, near a small grocery store. 

"That's the lady. She's the grocery owner, i think." Kwangjin said. They were observing the place from a distance. "Oh and the car's still there," Kwangjin pointed out. 

Seunghyub took a deep breath. "Okay, wait for me here. I'll try and talk to them and be casual about it," he said. 

Kwangjin nodded and watched with bated breath as Seunghyub approached the grocery store. 


 

Seunghyub stopped to inspect the car parked near the entrance. The only damage it got was that the center of the front bumper was crushed. If what Kwangjin said was true, that was where he gripped the car when he lifted it. Seunghyub was so lost in thought that he didn't hear the two people approaching. 

"Excuse me. Can i help you?" 

Seunghyub turned around and smiled. The guy looked around his age although there were already some gray streaks in his hair and his eyes were bloodshot. 

"Your car? Did you get into an accident?" he asked innocently, pointing at the bumper. 

The guy exchanged a look with the old lady beside him. "I-uh, it's nothing. I ran into something awhile ago, I'm not really sure," he replied. 

Seunghyub noticed how the old lady glanced to the side as she made the sign of the cross. 

"Oh! Okay, then. I thought it was something serious." Seunghyub said. "Halmeoni, do you have some rice cakes?" he asked quickly. 

The old woman glanced at the guy one last time before focusing her attention on Seunghyub. "I think i have some that just arrived. Can you wait for a little while?" 

Seunghyub nodded and pretended to browse some goods on the shelf. He stepped behind a huge rack of instant ramyun, still keeping the two in view. They were talking in hushed voices and after awhile, the guy bowed to the lady and left. Seunghyub watched as the car drove away. 

"Young man!" 

Seunghyub jumped. 

"Here," the old woman had her hand held out, holding a white plastic containing the rice cakes. Seunghyub pulled the right amount of bills from his wallet and handed it to her. 

"Is something wrong?" he asked casually. 

"You're young, you'll probably think i'm mad," she replied with a sad smile. 

"I don't think so... I mean, i saw some guy lift up an entire vending machine using his right hand last night? or was it the other night?" he bated, voice soft enough to appear as if he's thinking but loud enough for the lady to hear. Seunghyub saw how her eyes grew wide and knew that she had taken the bait. 

"You should be careful. Those creatures... we don't know what they are... they might be devils," she said, gripping his wrist tightly. 

Seunghyub nodded. "I will, halmeoni," he replied. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kwangjin was sitting on the street, pulling his hair out while waiting for Seunghyub to return. He looked up when he heard footsteps. 

"Yah! So? What do you think? Is it bad?"

Seunghyub smiled widely. "You're lucky she's a superstitious one! She just thinks you're the devil unleashed on earth!"

Kwangjin sighed. "God, that was close!" 

"You're the devil you shouldn't be saying God's name!" Seunghyub exclaimed. 

"Whatever! Let's go back!"