Sad Sunset

Until It's Too Late...

 I’ve only dreamed of myself like this

I still can’t believe it

The spilling sunlight, the passing wind

Just realize I feel so fine

Taeyeon- Feel So Fine

 

It was just a few hours left for the girls had before one of them soon will head to a new place. To spend it memorable; they drove up to the hill to watch the sunset together one last time.

“Alright, chicas! We have arrived!”

The girls got out as one of them open the trunk to bring out the drinks and snack they bought on the road. The others brought out a blanket to set on the car so when it’s about time, they all could watch the beautiful sunset.

“Callista, your boy toy is calling!”

“Let him call, that didn’t give a when I called him,” Callista remarked as she closes her trunk and carries the stuff up front.

“Let me guess, Hoe troubles~” “Shut up you hoe, At least I ain’t preying fetus yesterday-“

Before she could finish, a water bottle flew past her, missing an inch from her face.

“It wasn’t my fault! I was minding my own damn business and next you know, that kid appears out” Putting her hands up in defense, Callista rolled her eyes as she walks back to pick up the bottle.

“Okay, Jen~ I believe you~”Smirking, she tosses the bottle back to her. A couple of laughter burst out as two girls couldn’t help but be entertaining from their friend's fight.

“Naomi! Shut up you hoe and Reina, don’t ing laugh!” Jen lashes at them only to laugh at more. Naomi fell on her back while Reina tried to control hers; it was moments like this she will miss especially when it the only time her parents let her out longer than before. Soon, Reina started to cough violently which had the three girls rush to her side.

“Breathe baby girl, don’t die on us now” Half jokingly and half serious, Jen soothe her while Naomi opens a water bottle. Callista went to the passenger side to search for her medications.

“Drink” Naomi push the bottle in her hand which Reina had no intention to deny it since it would have all the girls scolding her. Callista places her pills on the left side; leading her to take it on the spot.

“Damn girl, you about to leave soon but I didn’t mean to heaven!” Reina shook her head as she drank.

“I’m good. Nothing to be scare… not know what I know” Reina sadly said as her friends sat around her.

“It’s not now or whenever, Reina. We know that you are and still is the baddest in town even the school knows they can’t with you.”

“Especially that Ashley who talks that one time. I swear if you didn’t have that appointment that day, you should saw how I ing destroy that in front of everyone. Oooh~ I smashed her head on the locker and stomp on her ing back like a broken she is” Retelling her story; Reina could help but chuckle.

“Yeah Naomi, Everyone knows your cute story but remember you can’t be that crazy like I did with Nicole and Diamond last summer. I swear if Y'all saw how ed up I did on them, I should have been in jail by now” Jen laughs as she pops a soda bottle out. Callista inserted a small device on Reina’s index finger. It was no surprise since Reina knew what it was. Heart Rate Sensor.

“125/75…. Good” satisfied with the result, Callista wrote the results on a small notebook which records everything on Reina’s health when she goes out with them.

“So… where are you guys going to after graduation?” Reina questioned. Everyone froze as if someone just threw cold water on them. Reina knew they didn’t like the topic especially when herself can't tell if she able be there or not.

“I’m not sure…. “Naomi mumbles as she avoids Reina’s eyes. Jen looks away, and Callista kept writing.

“Guys, I know- you all know by now that I may not be there or even alive so instead of worrying my future, I want you guys to worry about yours. True I may be the baddest and the ruthless but yall know by now I ain’t that selfish to stop your path.”

“But it’s not fair…. We have been together- when? What? In diapers? Why God made you born with a ticking time bomb on your back, Reina?” Naomi grabs hold of her friend’s hand as she grasps it tightly.

“Why couldn’t he make your heart in good condition? Why did it have to be defected? Reina, Out of us, you were top of your game! You had the life on your hands like it’s meant to be yours, but it was taken away in one night! There were so many chances, yet they vanish in thin air! You’re going to a new country would make anything better?! Honestly, just like Dr. Garcia said its 30% chances South Korea provide a donor than here in California! Reina! It’s risky enough to go there but it also a death wish if there no donor available by the time yourself are in danger.”

Tears were shown, and sniffles were being heard. Reina has seen her friends break down here and there but not like this.

Naomi always held a strong face on even after a fight; she never tears from a broken nose or bruised eye; Especially when she got ambush and ran by a car.

Jen never showed much emotion unless it hit her. She kept smiling or had an impassive face on but never cries in the open.

Callista, the mom of the group and eldest whom taken charge of watching her. There have been nights she volunteers to watch her at the hospital when no one can. Even on school days. How tough it was, Callista never complains or argues about it; But seeing her cry, seeing her friends cry like this. It hurts her.

Reina held Naomi’s cheek as she wipes the incoming tears.

“True, I do question “why did God make me born with this heart?’ “Why couldn’t he fix it when I was young?’ ‘Why did it show up when I was at the peak of my success?’ then again you have to understand everyone has their purpose to live. There were so many chances, but those chances weren’t for me, they were for others who are worth living than myself. It wasn’t my time yet. South Korea is my only chance to find a donor but there another thing, even I find one; the chance my body accepting is low. I'll be heading to my death wish no matter what. There no way of escaping it. People who were born have two purposes in life; to change the world or to help those who are changing the world.”

Naomi shut her eyes tightly as she shook her head, Jen began to cry even harder, and Callista tries to hold it together. Reina felt tears rolling down her cheek but didn’t care. It was moments like this made them feel like they were more as sisters than best friends.

“I may not change the world, but I may help those who are changing it” She sobbed. By the time she threw out on what she had to say; the sun was already setting. The most beautiful yet sad sunset she has seen.

“Always remember, God had created me because he is the only one who knows my true destiny….”

-

It 1:48 AM and Reina were standing right front of the gates with her family and friends. It was going to be the last time she will see her aunts, uncles, cousin, and friends as she departure to South Korea. Her parents began to say their goodbyes; her aunts burst into tears as they kept looking at Reina.

“Yo pido a Dios por un milagro!”

“Espero que Dios la salve.”

Pobre mi nena, Ella están muy joven.”

Reina held her tears as well as her friends beside her. It was hard enough to hear her family breaking down, but it was hard how her mother and father held their hardest not to break down.

“So... This is goodbye (?)” Reina shook her head as she grabs hold Jen’s hands.

“No, It’s more like see you later” Giving one last smile, Jen pulled Reina in her arms, tightly holding her. Reina did the same back as both gave each other one last hug. Soon it follows Naomi then Callista as both gave the same amount of tightness to Reina.

“I swear Y'all going to break my back “The girls broke in laughter as Reina re-enact as if her back is broken.

“Hey, at least you fulfilled Callista wish” Jen smirk as she dodges Callista’s punch.

“Shut up you hoe!” The girls continue to laugh while Callista kept attacking Jen. Their fun died down as it was announced the plane was boarding soon

“Reina, It’s time to go” Her father called her as Reina nodded.

“Well, guys I’ll be going “Reina gave everyone one last quick hug before she enters the gates with her parents.

"Ready mi princesa" her mother questioned.

“Never than ever.”