Ruthless Tranquility

Ruthless Tranquility

‘’And that is why students, the answer to this question is 3pi/29.’’ Said Professor Seong Lee, his mellow voice hinting at the tiniest trace of excitement. He had just reached the answer to what was known to be an exceedingly complicated calculus question. ‘’Does everyone understand?’’ he continued, removing his glasses from the bridge of his nose. The lecture theatre, initially filled with silence erupted into a low cacophony of mumbles and groans as his students desperately tried to rub their eyes to attentiveness. Friday calculus lectures at 4 pm were the worst. Period. However, amongst these mumbles was the shrill of the dishonourable text alert. Now normal teachers, wouldn’t care so much for the error. Simply ignoring it as an accidental mistake and continuing to teach their respective subjects. However Seong lee was not a normal teacher. He was the type to hunt the crowd in every afternoon lecture, feeding his brain with back bench slackers, lecture snap chatters and his personal favourite- cell phone callers. It was a well-known fact how aggressive he could get with his punishments, often forcing students to attend extra classes over the weekends if they were caught with any sort of device in their feeble hands.

Usually, I’d pay no attention to the victim of his repetitive disciplinary talks, pitying the student for a brief moment only to slump onto the table and enjoy the little break from all that maths. But today was another story entirely, how was I to pity another student when it was my phone that had decided to erupt into noise? After all, the string of 15 text messages my boyfriend had decided to leave me, were sure to cause quite a ruckus.

I could see Seong Lee coming towards me. The infamous smirk sprawled across his face as he made his way to the middle of the lecture hall. Oh Boy was I done for. It wasn’t like my phone was a regular rule breaker. On the contrary, it had never before decided to make itself known in any lecture however today, it had obviously decided to be a rebel.

‘’That phone better find its way to my desk in the next 10 seconds miss.’’ Whispered Seong Lee.

‘’Yes…Yes Sir…right away Sir.’’ I replied, gathering my own voice from the pits of my throat as I fumbled and stood from my desk. I could feel at least 50 eyes on my back as I made my way to the front of the class, each pair holding a sympathising look.

‘’Now then…where were we?’’ Said Seong Lee. At least this time he’d decided to let his anger pass. It wasn’t long before the bell rang, the gruelling two hours of continuous calculus had finally come to an end. The lecturer, picking up his books, walked out of the class without a look our way as bags were zipped up and chairs tucked into their desks.

I meekly walked towards the front and picked up my phone only to have 50 text messages scream at me from the notifications bar. Chanyeol.

Jagi…I am not well :(

Jagi…where are you?

Help me please

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to talk to you again….I am not well…

Jagi? Please help! No one’s at home!

50 text messages laced with the same tone of worry, each one made me shake in fear. Chanyeol needed help and I was too busy with calculus! He had come home from his tour two days ago and we’d spent the time entwined in each other on my double bed. Boxes of take-out and pizza along with cases of rental moves sprawled across the floor. It must’ve been the Chinese food…I knew there was something off in that Stir Fry Tofu. I grabbed my bag from my desk and ran out of the theatre, worry etched on my forehead.

‘’Channie! Where are you! Oh my gosh I am so sorry…I had class, Seong Lee took my phone!‘’ I yelled, trying to locate my boyfriend in the heaps of trash that surrounded my apartment.

‘’Chanyeol where are-…Yeol?’’ I said, walking into our bedroom to find him spread-eagled on the mattress, channel surfing on the flat screen TV.

‘’Jagi!’’ He beamed, his face lightening up as he saw me. ‘’You’re finally here!’’ He said, sitting up and raising his arms to offer me a hug.

‘’You said you weren’t well! What’s wrong!’’ I replied, the worry in my voice rising as I scanned his body for signs of distress.

‘’Oh….um….about that…I am fine. I just really missed you is all…I haven’t seen you in 4 months because of the tour and-‘’ he said, his eyes downcast as he rubbed the back of his neck with his palm.

‘’Park Chanyeol. You mean to tell me that you sent me 50 text messages, got my phone taken away by my lecturer, made me run like Bolt all the way home with my hair a mess because I didn’t have time to search for a hair tie….only because you missed me?’’ I questioned, my tone lowering in octaves as I climbed onto the middle of the bed, sitting myself down on his tracksuit covered thighs.

‘’Yes.’’ He said, sheepishly, his eyes struggling to meet mine. What was I supposed to do with this man? I thought to myself. ‘’But I didn’t know it would be so much work! And who’s this professor of yours? How dare he not let you reply to my texts?’’ He urged on, trying to distract me from the topic at hand.

‘’Yah! Was two days in bed doing nothing not enough for you! I was in class!’’ I retorted, bringing my hands to thread through his hair.

‘’I’d never get enough of you Jagi…’’ he said, confidence returning as he pulled me into his frame.

‘’You’re lucky I love you Park Chanyeol.’’ I replied, no longer able to hold my anger at his cheekiness.

‘’and I love you Jagi….infact, I’d like to show you just how much.’’ He said, his hand slipping inside my t-shirt as his face dipped into my nape, pressing kisses into the sensitive flesh.

‘’I think Id like that very much but Channie there are things we need to do! I need to clean the apartment and finish this calculus homework and-‘’ I mumbled, trying my best to fight of his ministrations.

‘’Later Jagi…’’he whispered into my skin

‘’But Yeol, what about the-‘’ I continued, teasing him as I raked my hands through his scalp.

‘’LATER’’ he growled when he realised I was just messing around and I began to giggle at his neediness. ‘’Maybe after a weekend of this and cuddles we can think about work…’’ he said smiling at me

‘’Chanyeol!’’ I replied, my small fists hitting his biceps, enticing laughter from his soul.

‘’I love you too Jagi.’’ He said, kissing me senseless.