n e a r t o y o u . //s&j.

i'm still here.

Selina was worried out of her mind. It wasn't just that Calvin was being distant lately, but also because she was afraid. Was he tired of her? It HAD been four months, but he couldn't have gotten tired of her THAT fast. Although it was to be expected--he could get just about any girl he wanted, when he wanted. And yet he still wanted her.

"Lina?" Jiro waved his hand in front of her face, and, eyes fluttering, Selina jumped.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" Selina attempted a feeble smile, and then tried to pay attention to what her closest friend was saying unsuccessfully. Soon, she was drifting back into her own thoughts again.

". Lina, you're not even paying attention. I'm gone." With that and a quick hand messing up Selina's hair--as always, no matter what--Jiro left quietly, slipping his bag over his head and walking with long strides to the counter to pay, and then out the door.

Selina didn't even have time to react before a finger tapped her shoulder.

"Selina, love."

"Calvin!" Selina leapt up and pulled him into a quick little hug. He smiled sheepishly and patted her back awkwardly--it was now that Selina felt it; that weird feeling that you got when you knew something bad was going to happen. Not only that, but a strange rush of reoccurrence flooded through Selina's head. He never just patted her. Calvin was a touchy-feely person. Something was wrong. "Is....something wrong?"

"Selina, you know I love you." Calvin began, and suddenly, the sense of déjà vu made sense. She'd watched this before. In the exact same restaurant. The exact same words. Selina jumped away from him.

"You're breaking up with me." She interrupted him loudly, and her breathing hitched. She realized she'd already begun crying, and then mentally cussed at herself for being such a dramatic cry-baby. Calvin was taken aback for just a moment, watching his 'beloved' girlfriend cry.

"Yes. Sorry. Take care of yourself, Selina." With that, he rushed out of the restaurant before any more people could begin staring at them. Selina's knees buckled, and she crumpled to the floor. Calvin definitely wasn't her first boyfriend. He wasn't her last. But she'd stayed with him the longest; gotten used to him and his smooth velvet voice and his gentle fingers patting her cheeks and the taste of his breath in her hair. She knew that she was his longest, too, that in some way, she must have enchanted him, somehow.

Sniffing, she got up and haughtily made her way out of the restaurant--Jiro had already covered the bill before he left. Calvin could have at least come up with a different break-up speech, just for her.

--

After the break-up was the hardest, Selina found. After you rolled down the hill, you were always stuck at the bottom for a while before you could get back up. In any case, she didn't let Calvin rest peacefully. Even though she knew it wasn't pleasant to be bothered by an ex through first-hand experience, it still felt secretly good to shoot him down with her friends.

"Li, you gotta stop it." Genie finally breathed, as she watched Calvin walk away, upset. "If you want to know why he broke up with you, you should just go ask."

With a resigned sigh, Hebe agreed. "You're making yourself look like a jerk." Ella wrinkled her nose, as if to say 'Who cares?', but a look from Hebe got her back in line. It was funny that while Ella could just about beat anyone into submission, she was utterly obedient to Hebe alone. It almost made sense, though, their being step-sisters and all.

"I don't want to talk to him," Selina retorted. It was better to talk at him than to him. In a safe, vengeful way, she could let go of all her anger and pain. It was fair, wasn't it?

"If you're going to talk about me, do it in a more subtle fashion." Jiro's hand knocked on Selina's head. She scowled as she looked up and snapped, "I'm not talking about you. Go away."

"Touchy," Jiro said, plunking down into the seat next to her. "What're we talking about?"

"Leaaaaaave, Jiro!" Selina pouted. "You're disturbing us!"

"Be quiet a minute," Jiro replied, and Hebe stood up suddenly, gone to chase after Aaron. Ella, as well, stood up and left to the cafeteria line to buy something. Genie stared at her hands in her lap. He stared expectantly at Selina, almost patient, which was rare for him.

"I miss him. I mean, I almost loved him." Selina sighed finally, letting it go. She expected Jiro to laugh at her (highly likely), or even try to comfort her (highly unlikely). Instead, he just stood up and looked once more at her, with a sad, woeful expression on his face before leaving. Selina stared after him. Where was her noogie? Nowhere to be seen.

--

"Is something wrong?" Selina asked worriedly, rushing to keep up with Jiro's long strides. He ignored her. "Jiro, please answer me." After another few minutes of silent walking, Jiro stopped and faced her, face red.

"I'm jealous because the girl I've liked since forever is almost in love with another guy." He confessed in one long breath. Selina, being only the slightest bit dense, continued to stare. He got redder by the minute, and then it struck Selina.

"Oh! Me?" Her eyes widened and she pointed her hand to her chest. Jiro covered his face, exasperated, and nodded.

"OH! OH! ME. ME!?" Selina jumped up and down, her face cracked in a grin that outgrew her thin face. As passerby's began to stare, Jiro pulled her away from their faces.

"God Selina, can you BE anymore embarrassing?" He scowled, still holding her wrist. Grinning still, Selina took her wrist from his grasp, and inserted her hand into the gap between Jiro's fingers, and with the strangest giggle, she went up to kiss him delicately on the cheek. She suppressed another laugh as she watched Jiro's face brighten, redden, and then, the full grin that took his face over as well.

"I thought you liked Calvin." Jiro, although, giddy with joy, was confused as to Selina's quick switch of guys. Even though she was fickle about who she dated, she'd never moved on this fast.

"Don't you know me at all? I LIKED him; I thought I did. It died out, though," She stared at their interlaced fingers. "Your fingers fit me perfectly, you know? Calvin's were weird on me. Maybe it's because you're better for me."

"Sure, sure," Jiro grinned, as he swooped in to kiss her on the cheek. Last second, Selina turned her head to look at him, and he hit instead. Jiro pulled away immediately, and Selina jeered at him in the most immature way she could ever manage.

"I'm gone," he told her seriously, and before he steered into the cafeteria again, he noogied her on the head, leaving Selina, with a stupid grin, behind.

--
inspired by near to you; a fine frenzy.
go listen to it. it's gorgeous. ;)
a week is pretty long, yes? sorry for the wait.
more to come, hopefully, when spring break really starts.

march 20, 09.
&