l i s t e n; s i l e n t . //ge&a.

i'm still here.

On a lazy summer day like this, it would've been hard not to fall asleep; somehow, though, Genie found a way not to. But then, there were lots of things Genie could find solutions to, if only you just listened.

Except people didn't often listen to Genie; while she was pretty and a darling, she was easily missed, because Hebe was always there, just in front of her. Beside her, Genie was as good as invisible--maybe a little less than that, even.

One person, though--two, if you counted Hebe herself--one person heard her, every single time. Whether she was mumbling under her breath, complaining about how her parents were so unfair, or whether she was simply secretly humming to herself--this one person never missed anything.

Secretly, she liked him. He was handsome and loud, and he was always seemed to be around. She always caught herself listening to him unconsciously--like her ears were programmed to listen to him especially.

"Genie, are you paying attention?"

"Oh! Yes'mm!" A half-hearted response to her mother's half-hearted question. Really, it didn't matter if Genie was doing her share of the work; so long as Hebe was there, it would be fine. Of course, Hebe. The centre of attention, as always, without even trying. Wistfully, Genie stared on as Hebe whistled, moving about gracefully behind the counter.

With a chord of bells, the front door was swept open. She turned her head to see who it was, and looked Aaron in the eye. Surprised, she smiled on a reflex. He grinned back airily, and her heart jumped the tiniest bit. She scowled at herself, trying to tell herself not to be such a GIRL.

"Hi. What can I do for you?" Even though her voice was barely above a whisper, Aaron heard it clearly and answered back.

"The usual, Genie, old chum." His voice was spilling with confidence that he didn't need, and she rolled her eyes and shook her head as she pushed the counter door to the side to get him his creme bun. She slid it into the bakery's paper bag and tied a blue ribbon around it.

"$2.75, then," she tapped her long fingernails on the marble countertop. She could still hear Hebe whistling as she swept around the back of the kitchen. Aaron dug around his pockets and fished out a five dollar bill. Secretly, Genie lifted her eyes to watch Aaron through her long eyelashes as she exchanged the bill for some loose coins. His gaze was focused beyond her--with a sinking feeling, she knew that he was watching Hebe.

"Thanks, then. See you later, Genie." Aaron saluted her jokingly as he turned tail and left.

She watched, with her elbows resting on the countertop, as he crossed the street, swinging the paper bag merrily. At this moment, she wished he could hear her tell him to come back so that she could tell him she liked him. This was the one time that Aaron didn't listen.

--
it's getting late, hmm? 10 pm already.

march 9, 09.
&