Red String

Red String

Chengcheng is just an ordinary boy. He like watching sky, the clouds as they shift to different shapes. The flowers and the leaves in the morning and the butterlies and bees as they try to get a day's work. But if there's something Chengcheng likes seeing the most is that red string the connects two destined lovers together, and that's exactly what he's doing right now as hw watch his parents enjoy their breakfast.

 

 

Just like any boy of his age, he goes to school too. Now you might think he'd like it because he's a lovely kid like that, well, let me tell you that you thought wrong. He hates school, he loathes it. Not because he doesn't like studying, no, he's actually really smart and is the top students of his grade. He hates it because he sees couples everywhere, while he stares at the red string attached to his pinky finger and wonder where the other end is. "Ayo, Cheng!!" a familiar voice snapped him out of his thoughts. ”Good morning to you too Justin." "Hurry up man, there are new batch of transferees." the younger pulled him towards the auditorium. "You know for someone who will definitely end up touring the new transferees, you seem quite happy." Chengcheng putting no effort on being dragged.

Now, this is another thing Chengcheng loathes the most. Touring transferees around the campus. Being top of your grade means knowing everything, or as the teachers think. He's usually very friendly, but he can't help but envy people who have found the other end of their red string. He might be jealous, sue him. As the boys enter the auditorium, Chengcheng felt something strange in the air but dismissed it as the new air-conditioning system. Both boys stood in front of the stage facing the student, being the school's official 'tour guides' they have that much privilege.

The welcoming ceremony is longer than Chengcheng would've wished, he paid no mind to the principal for he have heard the same speech many times since he entered this school. But the stange feeling kept on bugging him to the point where he started scratching his arms, a thing that did not go unnoticed to Justin. "Are you okay bro?" "Yeah, it's just... Nothing." he smiled and motioned for the younger to listen to the principal.

The ceremony ended and Chengcheng was handed the list of the students he'll have to tour around. He stared calling their names and they lined up infront of him. As the students starts going with their designated tour guides, Chengcheng's pinky started twitching. And as he call the last name in his list ... "Wang Linkai?" "HERE!" the sound was booming , as if he had a megaphone in his throat. But what shocked them both the most is the red string around their pinky fingers.

They stared at each other not really knowing what to do, Chengcheng have been dreaming and fantasising of this moment forever but it did nothing to prepare him for the actual thing. Chengcheng is doing all his best to not scream and do something stupid but apparently his best friend is not. "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, CHENGCHENG FOUND HIS SOUL MATE!!!!!" All heads turned to their spot and Chengcheng wants nothing but for the ground to swallow him. Linkai standing ramrod straight as if he's rooted on his spot and it's not helping Chengcheng's case.

'What if he doesn't like me?' 'What if he's straight?' 'What if he thinks I'm weird because of Justin?' and many more questions ran through his head, all the while looking at his new found soul mate. "Well, I guess moving here is not really that bad." Chengcheng stared at the boy in wonder, his voice is actually nice if he's not yelling. "Hi, Mr. Soul mate. Mind taking us on a tour to the campus and having lunch with me later?" the other boy stretched his hand to Chengcheng and he took it. It took him monumental self control to not just scream and run around the whole auditorium like an idiot because he finally found what he's been waiting for for so long. But apparently his best friend Justin knows no self control as he scream around the auditorium like and idiot, his group of transferees long forgotten.