Soul's Melody

Soul's Melody

“I knew you from first sight
As if we have been calling for each other
The DNA in my veins tells me
You’re the one I’ve been searching for”

DNA by BTS

 

*Jungkook*

Jungkook sighs and runs his fingers through his dark hair. He needs to get this done, maybe this song will be the one. 

You're never going to find her.

He eyes his wrist and the thick-corded bracelets that wrap around it, hiding the music notes that rest there from the world.

Everyone in the world has music notes imprinted on their wrists. A couple lines that only one other person has. Your Soul’s Melody is what they're called.

He hasn't found them yet, his other half, even with all his efforts. Every one of his songs, the big hits, the ballads, the lullabies, all of them have his Soul's Melody hidden in them. Only his other half would recognize it, but no one has. It wasn't uncommon, never meeting your soulmate but the thought of living his whole life while they were just...out there somewhere, it’s painful beyond belief. Sighing once more he puts down his pen, pushes away from his desk and walks to the door. It’s time for his interview.

Settling into the freshly cleaned leather chair he smiles at the overly groomed man in front of him who was asking all the regular questions. “What’s your favourite city? Favourite Food? Person you want to collab with?” and he, of course, has already mastered these. He slips into autopilot mode, smiling and cracking jokes; every once in awhile giving a more serious answer. It’s all predetermined, everything in the world is. However he finds himself being pulled back into the room when the interviewer-Jimmy something- asks about his melody.

“So, jungkook, rumour has it you haven't met your soulmate yet. How does that feel in a world so driven by them?” the sympathetic smile he is receiving is infuriating but nonetheless he answers.

“It’s not too bad.” Making sure his voice stays level he continues, “Obviously I’d love to meet them but in the meantime I’m happy to just make my music.”

Nodding Jimmy pauses for a moment before asking his next question, “I have to ask, why do you wear the bracelet? If you want to find them wouldn't it be the quickest way to leave it uncovered?”

“It’s a philosophy of mine. I don't want to deal with people faking that their notes match mine. A ton of artists  are going through that sort of drama right now and I’d really just like to avoid it.” He tilts his head slightly and jimmy takes the cue to move on, diving into the questions about his newest album and his upcoming concerts. Jungkook lets himself slip back into autopilot mode.  Only a couple more hours and he’d be on a plane to Chicago.

 

“Our meeting is a mathematical formula
Religious commandments, law of the universe
The proof of fate that has been given to me.        You are the source of my dreams”

 

*You*

Satisfied is the best word to describe you right now. Looking around the room you let out a breathe and smile proudly.This is the last room you have to clean and you're almost done, all you have to do is mop the bathroom and it’s over. Swinging open the door to the hallway you come to a dead halt, a man, well not just any man, Jeon Jungkook, the singer, is standing in front of you looking just as shocked as you feel. You flinch when he moves, his hand digging into his pocket and pulling out a key card.

“This is room 382 yeah?” He looks at you with inquisitive eyes and a partially quirked eyebrow.

“Y-yeah,” you swallow "I was, uh, just finishing up the cleaning”

His eyes narrow and he takes a step back “I see. I’ll leave my bags here. Have the manager tell me when you're done.” Turning on his heel he walks away not noticing the irritated expression on your face.

“Well someone's a bit grumpy, pardon me for not having it perfectly clean when I wasn't even told there would be a guest.” Scoffing lightly you went back to work, smirking slightly when you removed the soaps from the shower. That's what he gets for being rude.

After reporting in and quickly changing your outfit you went straight into your waitressing work. Moving from table to table refilling drinks and taking away plates.

“Excuse me?” Turning around you felt your smile slip from your face when none other than Mr. Rude was sitting  there.

 

“Don’t worry love
All of this is not a coincidence
We are totally different baby
The two of us found fate”

 

*Jungkook*

Calling out to the waitress he watches in amusement as her smile slips away at the sight of him.

“What can I do for you today?” the slight twitch at the corner of gives away her displeasure at seeing him.

Clearing his throat he gives a small smile, “I just wanted to apologize for earlier, it’s been a long day and it was wrong of me to take it out on you.”

“Alright, well if that’s all you wanted I need to continue working.” Nodding her head slightly the girl, whose name he still hadn't learned turns and walks off without a second glance at him.

Talk about unusual, maybe she doesn't know who he is? He shakes his head. That’s impossible he’s everywhere, the news, the radio.

So why didn't she react? Fixing his gaze onto her back he furrows his brows and lets a small smirk grace his lips. Guess he’d just have to find out.

 

He's in his room lying down when his next encounter with the mysterious girl happens. A slight knock on his door and there she is, standing awkwardly in front of him.

“What can I do for you today?” he mimics her words from earlier chuckling at the nervous smile he gets in return.

“Well, I forgot to- well forgot isn't the most accurate word- I, uh, took your bath soap cause you were rude but now you've apologized so..here!” she was speaking as quickly as she could and he watched in amusement as she turned red and shoved the soaps into his hands.

“You..took my bath soap because I was rude?” Bursting into laughter Jungkook doubles over, “Oh my God that’s brilliant, I love it.”

“You're not angry?” Jungkook can hear the hesitancy in her voice.

“Nah, that’s something my little brother would do, it’s no biggie. Although I do have two questions…” he looks her straight in the eye, “Number one. What's your name? Number two, do you have anger issues? I mean that's a bit much for a little rudeness and you must experience quite a bit working at a hotel like this.” gesturing around at the hotels fancy interior he quirkes an eyebrow as her eyes drop from his, choosing to look at the meticulously designed carpet instead.

“My name's Y/N and I don’t have anger issues I just...I don't like singers, or any form of musician or music for that matter.” she says it quietly, knowing how frowned upon it is.

Furrowing his brows Jungkook tries to wrap around the thought.

“Did something happen to your soulmate?” it’s the only reason he can think of for not liking music.

Scoffing lightly she looks up him, her eyes cripplingly sad. “I wouldn’t know. I’m,” she takes a deep breathe, “tone deaf. I’m tone deaf. I can’t hear music or hum or sing or anything.”

He can feel his heartache for her, quickly reaching out he pulls her into his arms, hoping it isn’t too much.

After a while of standing in each other's embrace she pushes away from him, wipes her eyes and shoots him a quick smile. “I should probably go back to work. It was nice meeting you Jeon Jungkook.”  Turning on her heel she walks down the hallway, away from him, and Jungkook can feel his heart tear in half.

 

“From the day the universe was birthed
Over the infinite centuries”

*you*

Bracing yourself against the wall you felt another tear slip down your face. He had looked at you just like your parents had, with pity.

*flashback*

“Is there a cure?” your mother's voice was frantic and your father held you tighter against him.

“I'm afraid there is nothing we can do at this point..maybe in ten years we’ll be advanced enough to fix it.” the doctor was sad, his voice low and apologetic, calming even. He didn't look shocked when your mother stormed out of the room, quickly followed by your dad and yourself.

“I’m so sorry sweetie. I’m so sorry.” At the time you hadn't understood what your mother was apologizing for. You didn't know how much pity and hatred you would receive because of your new label, Tone-Deaf.

*end of flashback*

Pushing off the wall you continue down the hallway, determined that no one else would get to know your secret.

*flashback*

“What's it like knowing you’ll never find your soulmate?” You winced at the harsh question.

“It's not very fun.” sticking with the answer you gave everytime you were asked you listened to the scoff that left your classmates lips.

“You're not very fun. Even if you weren't a mess up I bet your soulmate wouldn't want you.” it had made you cry. You'd  run to the bathroom and only left when your mom arrived. Your mom had been furious, how could her precious, fragile daughter get treated like that.

Fragile. That was how your family treated you. Like you would break if they even mentioned soulmates. They ignored that you still had the notes on your wrist. That your other half was out there. All they felt for you was pity. Pity for their poor broken daughter.

*end of flashback*

“In our past lives and probably in our next too
We are together eternally”

 

*Jungkook*

It's early the next morning when he marches down the stairs to get breakfast. ‘Getting up but paparazzi more’ is his logic as he walks into the lounge area. He’s about to sit at the table from the day before when he stops. He stops moving. He stops breathing. He stops thinking. He completely stops. It's quiet, ever so faint in the background but he can hear it. The two lines that have been with him since he was born. They're repeating, just those two lines over and over and now he's running towards the noise. Pausing in front of the two double doors that lead to the dinner hall he slowly pushes them open. She's in the far corner, her head down and her fingers moving methodically over the keys. He knows he looks like a mess, breathing heavy and staring at her like a mad man. Walking towards her he pauses behind her before lightly tapping her on the shoulder.
 

“All of this is not a coincidence"

*You*

Spinning around all you can feel is embarrassment. No one is supposed to hear that. No one is allowed to hear your shame. Looking at your feet you know who it is, just by looking at the designer shoes he's wearing and the bracelets that wrap around his wrist.

“Where did you learn that?” his voice is rough, strained at the edges.

Focussing on his shoes you don't respond, hoping he'll take the hint and leave. You flinch when he drops to his knees in front of you,  his eyes boring into yours.

“Where?” His eyes are captivating, deeps pools that show so much pain and longing. You swallow, forcing your mouth to move. 

“My mom made me learn it. Even if I can't hear it maybe they will.” your voice is a whisper, only audible due to the absolute silence in the room.

You feel him tense even without touching him; every fiber of his being going stiff. He gulps and you dare a glance into his eyes again. Everything and nothing happens in that moment. Neither of you make a move, neither of you open your mouths to say it. All it takes is the slow lifting of his hand and the unclasping of a bracelet to confirm what you saw in each other's eyes. He pulls you in then, your body planted securely in his arms.

“I found you.” his voice comes out rough and choked with emotion and you can't help but smile as you rest your head on his shoulder,

“You found me.”

“DNA”