Rehearsals

Hidden Struggle

Dahyun was known as the happy pill in the group. She didn't like dragging people down or distracting others for her own sake. As much as she acts like she's all care-free and cheery, she's not stupid. She's seen what kind of comments people leave about her on the internet.

Things like;
'I don't see why JYP even put her in the group; she has no talent.' Or
'Poor Chaeng, she has to share her lines with someone who can't even rap.' Or even,
'Why is she so stiff? Talk about a visual hole.'

She knows how much of a burden she is to this group and she doesn't want to ruin it more than she already has. So in the case that she's sick or hurting in anyway, she keeps it to herself and pretends that she's fine. Sure, the members will catch on eventually and order her to take a nap or some medicine, but for the most part, it works.

---------------------------------------------

What is love promotions were going well. Twice has received 9 music show awards so far and the group was ecstatic. But behind all that, the girls were a bit worn down. They'd been working for almost a year straight now, with their constant music video and photo shoots, rehearsals and practices for comebacks, japanese promotions, korean promotions, and other schedules. The girls have gotten short breaks every once in awhile, like a day off or their trips to japan sometimes, but overall, they were being overworked. Dahyun was taking it a little harder than the rest. She didn't really know why she was affected more but the fact just made her anxiety rise again.
'Ugh, why am I always the weak-link? Can't I just it up??' She thought to herself as she curled up in her bed while clutching her head. All the days working straight with no sleep and all the days where she didn't bother to eat a meal were starting to affect her. Suddenly, she was having dizzy spells, migraines and stomach cramps throughout their work days. But again, she hadn't said anything for fear of being kicked off the team or something ridiculous like that.

"Girls! Time to get up and head out!" She heard Nayeon-manager yell from the living room. Now she really had to it up. She sat up and cursed under her breath as the world spun momentarily.
"Mmm.. Did you say something, unnie?" She heard Chaeyoung mumble sleepily from the top bunk and forced herself to stop swaying.
"N-nothing, nothing." She reassured. She checked the clock as Chaeng murmured something else and sat up like a zombie. '4:15am...Ugh' She closed her eyes and stood up shakily.

Today was another music show performance and that meant that everyone had to get up early in order to get hair and makeup done and do a couple of rehearsals before the actual thing. So, Dahyun stumbled down the hall as steadily as she could, put on some sweats, a mask, and a hat, and pulled some left over kimbap from the fridge to eat for breakfast. Someone walked in.

"Ooh! Don't mind if I do!" Momo said loudly as she took more than half the plate. Dahyun cringed. 

'There goes my breakfast...' She thought sadly as she felt her stomach rumble. Regardless, she just bit her lip and finished the remaining 3 pieces and prayed that the stomach cramps would stop on their own.

 

As the other members slowly gathered in the living room, Dahyun leaned her head in her hand willing the dizziness to leave. She was even starting to get cold sweats. But the members were all groggy from getting up so early and payed her no mind. 'At least I can hide it..' Dahyun thought grimmly. 

"Alright, let's get going girls!" Sadness-manager called again. The girls groaned and piled in the cars. Dahyun leaned her head on the window and drifted off as the others started a conversation between themselves. 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Dahyun-ah? Are you okay in there?" A voice souded through the door sounding concerned. Dahyun stared at herself in the mirror and bit her lip as she spotted the bags under her eyes. She cleared .

"Yeah! I just.. wanted to check my makeup again!" She said and quickly tried to cover up the bags with some concealer.

"Are you sure? You looked pretty out of it earlier. I'm starting to get worried.." She heard the voice echo through the bathroom again as she put away the makeup and wiped away the sweat on her forehead. She opened the door and almost ran into Nayeon. Her unnie stared at her as if examining her in her head. Dahyun in a breath and hoped that she wouldn't notice anything wrong. Just as she reached up to feel her forehead, a show producer knocked on the door and called for a soundcheck. Dahyun breathed a sigh of relief.

"Looks like we gotta go, unnie. Come on." She said as she dragged her unnie by the hand and tried not to stumble.

 

She was a bit dizzy but continued on to the stage with Nayeon in tow. Everyone met up and their stylists attached their mics and they went up to check out the stage they would perform on in about 5 hours.

"Hey! Dahyun-unnie! What are you doing!?" She heard Chaeyoung ask. She looked up.

"Huh?" She gasped as she tripped off the stage.

"AAHH-!" She sqealed just as Momo caught her just in time. She tried to stand only to fall again. 'Ugh I'm so dizzy...' Dahyun thought as the world tilted.

 

Momo watched in concern as she noticed that Dahyun hadn't gotten up yet.

"Dahyunnie? Are you okay?" 'Crap, I at hiding my problems.' Dahyun thought to herself as she stood up shakily.

"U-uh, yeah I'm fine..' She mumbled and stumbled away before Momo could question anything else.

 

As they finally started the sound check, Dahyun's headache slowy started to get worse and her cramps were starting to come back again. The spotlights glared and made her sweat like crazy but that didn't bother her too much. What bothered her was when her in-ear malfunctioned and all she heard was microphone feedback beating at her ears for about 15 seconds. This happend during her rap, so out of instinct, she fell to the ground and clutched her head cause it felt as though someone had come in and slammed a mallet behind her eyes. The music stopped and Jihyo was the first to come up to her.

"Oh my god, Dahyunnie? Are you okay??" It was all Dahyun could do to whimper in pain. 

"Guys, what happened? Did someone mess with her equipment?" She asked no one in particular as she went to rip Dahyun's 

in-ear and mic off of her. 

 

---------------------------------------------

 

Dahyun hadn't stopped throwing up since Jihyo brought her to the dressing room 2 hours ago. Actually, since she barely ate that morning, she only threw up once and the rest had been dry heaves that hurt worse than actually releasing anything. She leaned against the wall as she breathed harshly. There were tears streaming down her face.

'I can't believe I'm even in this team in the first place..' She thought with disappointment towards her self.

"Dahyun-ah, open the door please? We just want to check on you, okay? We just need to make sure you're okay." She heard Nayeon's caring voice sound through the bathroom for the second time that day. Dahyun whimpered when her stomach clenched as she went to stand. Her head throbbed and she decided to crawl to the door instead. When the door opened, Dahyun could see that the older members had gathered by the door and had concerned faces. Momo gasped when she saw Dahyun on the floor. She bent down and rubbed her back.

"I knew there was something wrong with you.. Why don't you ever tell anyone when you're hurting, Dubu?" 

 

The question made Dahyun feel as though she was a child being scolded for doing something wrong and she could only put her head down and try not to cry again. 

"...I just don't want to disappoint anyone.." She said quietly. Momo and the girls frowned.

"Now why would we ever be disappointed that you're over here feeling sick to your stomach and hurting? The girls and I just want you to feel better, okay? You realize that we won't let you perform like this don't you?"

 

Dahyun sobbed.

"This is why I didn't want to say anything..!" She whined.

"Now I'm just dragging you down again.. I hate this; why am I always the one that has to be weak and untalented??" Jihyo stepped up this time. She lifted Dahyun's head by the chin.

"Sweetie, you've never dragged us down. And you're super talented; who lied to you and told you those terrible things?" She asked worriedly. Dahyun sniffled.

"The Onces commented and said that I'm untalented and that I'm the visual hole.." She said quietly.

 

Nayeon scowled.

"Of course... Don't listen to them Dahyunnie, they're not real onces; Those are haters and they're just out to hurt you." Dahyun looked down.

"But they're still real people with real opinions and I can't just pretend that it doesn't happen. It's really hard to ignore when they all look down on me anyway.." Sana rubbed her arm.

"C'mere," She murmured as she dragged Dahyun into her lap.

"Their opinions don't matter, alright? What matters is that you're happy and having fun. You're too young to be worrying so much anyway, you need to let go and enjoy yourself." She hugged Dahyun and Dahyun buried her head into the crook of her neck.

"Thanks unnie.." She mumbled. Sana hummed.

"Come on, let's change your clothes and you can skip the performance today. I'm sure the real Onces will understand." Dahyun shook her head and Sana tilted her head in confusion.

"I don't want to skip the performance today. I need to prove to myself that I can do this. And I don't think we can just take a member out of a performance an hour before it.."

Jihyo pursed her lips. 

"Are you sure? You're still really pale and your voice sounds a bit raspy. What if something bad happens on stage?" She worried. Dahyun shook her head and pleaded,

"Please unnie, I need to prove to myself that I can do this." Jihyo sighed,

"Alright fine, but you don't get to participate in the other schedules until you feel better." She scolded lightly. Dahyun gave a crooked smile and stood up to go wash out and get ready for the performance.