Burn

Don't Stop The Rain

“It’s raining?” Younghyun states, puzzled “It hasn’t rained for the past 2 weeks. I thought rainy days are over.”

Shifting your gaze from the raindrops falling hard outside to the cup of coffee in front of you, you let out a soft breath, feeling uneasy.

It’s a blur Tuesday and without anything interesting happening, you spend the afternoon sipping coffee with Younghyun and Wonpil.

For the past 2 weeks, the weather has been fair. And every single afternoon, you meet with the Chicken Guy as if there’s a silent agreement that you’ll both see each other at the usual place after your work. You’ve gone to different food joints, had fun on arcades, played basketball and badminton, indulged in video games, and took delight in small chitchats or even long serious confabs.

Also, for those weeks, Younghun has been constantly asking you to have coffee together. Other times though, he’d suddenly be assigned to work on something or he’d be called to the CEO’s office. You find it weird sometimes; it’s not yet alert week for the Audio Department so he should not have a lot of work for now, but it’s been the opposite. It’s as if fate is keeping Younghyun being close to you—or maybe it’s just your imagination. Or maybe that’s the case—only that it’s not fate doing the work.

Three weeks ago, you’d be low key blithe if the rain falls. Right now, you can’t help but be uneasy. Why hasn’t he showed up last night? You unconsciously sigh which makes Younghyun take a glance on you. Maybe because of what happened last Saturday?

“There’s a storm coming, I guess?” Wonpil remarks that just passes through your ears. It seems like all you can only hear are your thoughts. “I saw it on the news last night. They said it will rain hard for the following days”

Younghyun takes a glance at Wonpil, “Ah? Really?” then looks back at you “I don’t watch news. I was asleep the whole evening”

With your face still cast down, you clasp the hot cup and sip from it. With another sigh, you carefully put it down before you sneeze.

“Are you okay?” Younghyun finally asks. “You’ve been sighing countlessly. You’ve also been sneezing since this morning”

“I’m fine,” you smile faintly “maybe it’s because of the weather.”

Wonpil and Younghyun do not buy that excuse but let it slide anyway; knowing you won’t tell what’s bothering you even if they ask.

I can’t tell them I walked home in the middle of heavy rain at almost midnight last night. Another sigh, Thank God I didn’t get fever. You bite your lip, still not hearing what Younghyun and Wonpil are discussing. Was it really because of last Saturday?

“Can you please stop?” You muttered under your breath.

The blue-haired’s eyes widened in surprise. He was just laughing his heart out, locked your head between his arm and chest before he ruffled your head. He was just being himself. He just did what he usually does. It’s not his first time doing it to you so he was taken aback when you suddenly straightened up and told him coldly to stop.

He always flashes a sweet warm smile that makes your heart melt. He always bickers with you but he’s also thoughtful. “You’re such a tsundere,” You told him one time when he threw his jacket on you saying he’s feeling hot when his actual intention was for you to wear it because a random guy accidentally spilled his drink on you. He spends six days in a week with you but talks about the other girl with sparkling eyes and excitement in his voice.

If he’s really into that girl, why does he always make you feel like you’re something for him. Or does he only want a company everyday, a friend he can talk to and have fun with—and you’re just misunderstanding things? You don’t want to let it go further, you want to stop it before it’s too late. You’re getting too attached and your heart is being swallowed by your emotions—getting deeper and deeper day by day.

“You’re being too much,” you pronounced clenching your jaw “We haven’t known each other for even a month. You keep doing things as if we’re close friends—“

“But aren’t we?” He cut you off “I—I thought we’re already friends, considering we spend every afternoon with each other and do a lot of stuff”

Stuff like couples do? All of them look like after work dates! You breathed in and exhaled softly “I don’t want to misinterpret your actions.” You swallowed the lump in your throat “But if you’re already interested in someone, aren’t you supposed to keep your distance from other girls?” You clenched your fists as you try to curb a tear from falling. “I’ll get going,” you swiftly walked away without looking back.

Wonpil knocks on the table—on the spot near the cup of your drink—that makes you go back to your senses. You cover your nose and sneeze before rubbing your temple.

“What’s bothering you?” He queries worriedly. “You seem low-spirited since this morning”

You clear your throat before adjusting to your seat and shake your head, “Must be the cold.”

“Why don’t you take the day off?” Younghyun suggests.

“Nah, I can manage.” You smile “I’ll just wait for you guys at the lobby. Let’s head upstairs together.”

“We can go now,” The fox-eyed stands up right away and you just shake your head before motioning him to sit down again. Wonpil eyes him, too, as if trying to send a message through his eyes to let you be alone for a while.

“I’m sorry,” you mutter before sneezing when you accidentally bumped into someone.

“It’s okay,” with that voice, you look up and gesture a small bow. The chief narrows his eyes on you “Are you sick? Did you perhaps wait—“ both of your eyebrows raises up and Mr. Park looks away for a bit, “it’s nothing. If you’re not feeling well, you can go home and rest.”

“I’m fine, Sir,” after another small bow, your eyes catch a familiar figure, “Grandmother?” You feel your boss stiffens in front of you before glancing the old lady behind him. “Why are you here?” You beam before striding to stand before her and get her hands to hold them.

She takes a glimpse at the person behind you before smiling back at you, “I went to the hospital with my grandson,” your lips part in surprise. So she’s the boss’s grandmother? “His brother will come to take me home later. So I’ll be waiting at his office.” He looks up to the boss “She’s the one I told you about, Sungjin—the one who saved me few weeks ago”

You slowly release her hands and straighten up, “I—I just helped her cross—“

A voice in your head suddenly interrupts you, “Then there was this lady who stopped her and brought her back to the sidewalk—“

You snap back to reality when the chief calls you and says his thanks.

Come to think of it, ‘that’ girl did the same.

The next hours pass unnoticeably. You are too occupied with the what if’s and maybe’s.

2 weeks ago, he said ‘more than a week ago’, so it’s 3 weeks ago? That’s also when I helped Mr. Park’s grandmother. You lean forward and rest your head on your desk. Maybe it’s just a coincidence. Besides who knows how many people help others to cross the street each day? You get your handkerchief and cover your nose just before you sneeze again. But what if it was me? You shake your head. Nope, the one I helped was Mr. Park’s—unless they’re—

“You know,” a voice interjects with your thoughts “I really think Mr. Park likes you.” He smiles but his eyes show otherwise. “He’s asked me about you for like… four times already? Anyway, here,” he put a tiny bottle on your desk “Younghyun got it for you. I think that guy also likes you. He’s been trying to spend time with you in every chance he gets”

You roll your eyes and it accidentally land on a figure behind the glass wall of the Concept Team’s room. Your best friend traces your line of vision and sees the first person he was talking about earlier.

“See? He’s looking towards your direction. I think he really likes you”

“He likes someone else, Pil,” you squint your eyes on him, “I’m more than 100% of that.” You see a glint of hope painted in his eyes, “He swings the other way,” you declare before opening the bottle of medicine, “and you know, if you do like him, just say so. You’ve known each other way before, right? And if you’re worrying about me, then don’t. I told you I don’t like him that way. Besides… I—I think I like someone else,” you swallow a lump before drinking from the little bottle.

“You think you like someone else?” He repeats. You smile to that fact that he did not deny that he likes the CEO.

“Is it possible to like someone you haven’t known for even a month?” You lean back and stare at him with full of curiosity, “and not even knowing his name?”

He shrugs, “Maybe if you spend a lot of time together? Say, you talk and have fun everyday.” He nods “I think that’s possible. You like someone whom you do not even know the name?”

You get off the elevator on the first floor after work and get welcomed by the CEO’s straight face. “Do you have an umbrella with you?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Please be careful. And please, go home straight and don’t go anywhere else anymore.” He demands and leaves you to get inside the elevator.

You crease your forehead in question as another young man calls you.

“Can I walk you home?”

“I’ll go home by myself, Younghyun,” you smile faintly “Don’t worry about me.”

“I insist”

“No, please. Thanks though”

He sighs in surrender, “How about this Saturday? Are you free?”

“Saturday?” You look away for a second as series of scenarios play in your head. When you threw a pillow to the Chicken Guy when he tricked you during a game, when he locks your head in his arm to tousle your hair because he lost, when you punch his arm whenever he tries to distract you, when—

“So?”

“I’m sorry,” you fold your lips together “I have an appointment every Saturday.” Saturdays are video game day. “And even every afternoon after work.”

He slowly exhales as he musters up some courage, “The thing is—“

“Younghyun,” you cut him off instantly “I really enjoy spending time with you. I love having coffees with you. But, I’m sorry. I—“

“It’s okay.” He beams almost forcefully, “Let’s just continue doing those things. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Man, this . You let out a sharp breath. You slowly head towards the shed, not minding the heavy rain and strong wind. Your right side getting wet even when you’re under the umbrella.

You keep sneezing and clearing your throat for almost three hours. Your lips are already quivering as you hug yourself. What am I even doing here? You cough. You’re starting to feel light-headed and your stomach is also grumbling.

Upon hearing footsteps getting closer, you promptly look up only to see your boss standing outside the shed, holding an umbrella and looking at you sadly. With a sigh, he steps closer.

“Go home now,” he puts down his umbrella and takes his coat off before putting it on you. He holds your arm to support you for standing, “I’ll take you home. Let’s go.”

Without a word, you follow him towards his car. He opens the door to the shotgun seat and waits for you to get in. You want to ask how he knew or saw you in the shed, and why he’s taking you home—probably just to look after his employee? If you didn’t realize his little secret, maybe your best friend’s voice is already whispering in your head that your boss likes you. But of course, that’s not the case.

After taking the driver’s seat, you stiffen when you hear the next words he utters “Don’t wait tomorrow, too”

A lump forms in your throat and you didn’t know swallowing could be hard. You release a soft breath, “Do you know the Chicken Guy, Sir?” You quiz when the engine starts.

“Chicken?” He eyes you for a second as the edge of his lips lifts up and he starts driving. “I don’t know any Chicken Guy, but let me take to a chicken place first because I’m sure you haven’t eaten yet.”

To your surprise, he stops outside the chicken place you always go to with the blue-haired guy. You flip your head to look at the CEO and he looks at you with a what-is-the-matter-look. Does he really not know? You sigh and lean back. Mr. Park’s eyebrows furrow.

“Aren’t you getting off?”

You sigh, “I’m sorry, Sir. But may I ask if you can just take me home? I’m not really hungry.”

“No.” He says firmly “You need to eat. I can’t afford you getting sick. And I’m also hungry, so let’s eat”

“I repeat,” he utters in the middle of the meal “Don’t go there and wait tomorrow.”

You clench your fists as your chest tightens. You feel your stomach flipping and you just want to throw up. You grab the glass of water and drink from it to calm yourself.

You should be asking questions to Mr. Park about what he knows, or what he’s talking about but instead you ask yourself why—why is he not coming, why didn’t he show up. Maybe he took my ‘advice’ and just focused on that girl he’s interested in?

Leaving from work the next day, Mr. Park shows up just right before you take a step outside the company’s building. He’s making sure you go home straight and as much as he wants to accompany you, he’s waiting for an investor’s call to discuss a project.

Stubborn as you are, your feet still lead you towards the park—the shed.

Time passes slowly. An hour and a half comes by and not even a shadow of the Chicken Guy has showed up. You rub your hands together and cup your face, trying to lessen the cold feeling. Your eyes start watering and the edges are starting to heat up.

Losing hope, you breathe in and stand up to finally go home but the man you’ve been waiting is just a few meters away from you, walking slowly towards the shed.

You bat your eyes to brush off the forming tears.

He greets you with a cough. “I’m sorry,” he says almost a whisper. He’s hugging himself despite the multiple layers and thick coat he’s wearing. His eyes seem heavy but he’s forcing them to open.

Your eyes widen in realization and immediately close the distance between you. His knees almost give up but fortunately, you’re already beside him so you catch him before he falls down. He’s burning up!

It’s a struggle taking him to his apartment while holding an umbrella on the other hand. But thankfully, you put him on his bed successfully.

You get up to find a face towel or any cloth and cold water but the sound of vibrating phone catches your attention. Looking at the bedside table, the Chicken Guy’s phone is lighting up.

You don’t want to answer it but it seems to have a few miscalls already. It might be important. Shall I?

The ring stops and the caller calls again—it only shows J.

“Yo! Chicken little,” your grip on the phone tightens and so does your chest “why aren’t you answering my calls? I’m so d*mn worried. You’re brother called me asking about you, too. Hello? Hello?! Hey, Chicken little, answer me!”

It’s a girl’s voice—a girl who’s calling her Chicken other than you.