I Love You

I Love You

    I love my life, Seokjin thought as he nuzzled further into his boyfriend’s shoulder. He was currently in the apartment he shared with his lover, cuddling into his boyfriend on their bed as they watched videos on his laptop.

 

    Jungkook looked down at Seokjin, smiling, and s a hand around his waist, pulling him closer. “Why are you giggling so much, hyung?”

 

    “Just thinking about how much I love my life,” Seokjin replied, looking up and placing a gentle kiss on Jungkook’s cheek, pulling away to see the beautiful bunny grin grace Jungkook’s face. Seokjin bit his lip, smiling.

 

    Jungkook placed a kiss on Seokjin’s forehead, softly grinning as he looked at Seokjin, when he heard the buzz of his phone. He picked it up with his left hand, still holding Seokjin with his right as he unlocked his phone and went to his messages.

 

    “Oh!” Jungkook exclaimed, putting the phone down and letting go of Seokjin, as he dragged his laptop closer and started typing rapidly.

 

    “What? What is it?” Seokjin questioned, gently holding Jungkook’s arm as he gazed at Jungkook’s face.

 

    Jungkook grinned. “Sorry hyung, I just got a text from Namjoon saying the new song came out. You know, the one I featured in? I want to see what it sounds like.”

 

    “Okay,” Seokjin said, nuzzling back into Jungkook, clutching his arm still as the audio was pulled up and was played. The two sat listening, relishing in the beauty that was Namjoon’s rap and Jungkook’s voice, which surprisingly worked well together. Seokjin sat up as the song ended, full of praise for his boyfriend.

 

    “Wow, Jungkook! That was amazing! You have such a beautiful voice.” Seokjin commented, then grinned devilishly as he rested on Jungkook’s shoulder again. “You should serenade me. God knows I deserve it.”

 

    Jungkook wrapped his arms around Seokjin’s body, squeezing him tightly in a hug. “How about instead, you sing a song for me?”

 

    “Jungkook…” Seokjin said, eyes turning downcast and light smile turning into a sad one. “You know I don’t sing.”

 

    “I know,” Jungkook said, voice more serious as the mood changed. “But can I know why? I want to know why you refuse to sing.”

 

    There was a beat of silence. Seokjin sighed. “Alright.” He sat up and removed himself from Jungkook’s embrace. He crossed his legs, holding his feet and massaging them as he spoke.

 

    “The thing is, when I was a child, I used to sing all the time. I sang at home, at school, in the car or on the bus, anywhere. I loved it. It was my passion, the thing that relaxed me. One day, when I was in the fifth grade, a neighbor asked me if I could teach her child, who was several years younger than me, to sing. I said yes, as I was a bright, happy child. I taught him for about six months, where he flourished. He won a contest, near the end of the six months, and I was so proud of him. I bought a bouquet of flowers for him and brought it to him. He accepted them and then he-”

 

    Here Seokjin faltered, breathing out as he gathered his next words. “He said to me ‘Hyung, I’ve been wanting to say this from the beginning, but you are a sh*tty singer. I would have done better without you teaching me. You really shouldn’t teach something you at.’ Then he left, and apparently he moved away soon after that. And me being my sensitive, naive self, just sort of, stopped. I couldn’t bring myself to sing again after that. It’s really stupid, but I was hit so hard by that, and it has stayed with me.”

 

    Seokjin chuckled softly. “Me and my stupid childhood issues, huh?” He looked over at Jungkook, only to see unbridled rage displayed on Jungkook’s face, hands clenched by his side.

 

    Seokjin’s expression changed to worry as he approached Jungkook. “Jungkook? What’s wrong?”

 

    “You don’t know how much I want to kill that kid,” Jungkook said, hardened eyes looking straight into Seokjin’s eyes.

 

    “What? No, it’s fine. I was too sensitive as a child. It really isn’t a big deal-”

 

    “Making fun of someone for something they enjoy, especially after you let that bastard into your life, is not okay. And it most certainly is a big deal, considering that it affects you even now. What’s his name? When I find him, I swear-”

 

    “Jungkook! It’s fine. We were both kids. It really doesn’t matter. And please, I don’t want you getting arrested, because then I’ll have to break you out, and we’ll be on the run, and then I won’t be able to keep up my skin routines! So please, for me, just let this go.” Seokjin pleaded, showcasing his puppy eyes.

 

    Jungkook grimaced. “Fine. But I’m definitely still pissed off.”

 

    “And you can be.”

 

    They sat in silence, just resting in each other’s company. Then Jungkook turned to his hyung and spoke.

 

    “Hyung? Have you told anyone else this story?”

 

    Seokjin thought for a moment. “Yes. I told Yoongi when we were in high school. I was bound to tell him, we’d been best friends for so long. And then after he started dating Hoseok, I believe he told Hoseok, otherwise how else would Hoseok know? So yeah, just those two.”

 

    Jungkook toyed with the bedsheets, debating his next request. “Umm, I think you should tell the others. That way Taetae-hyung and Jimin-hyung would stop asking you to go to karaoke with them. But it’s fine if it’s a big issue.”

 

    “No, I think I’m fine with the others knowing. I just want to put this out there. But can you do it, please? Just put it in the group chat or something.”

 

    Jungkook went into the group chat the seven friends shared, typing a long paragraph that was extremely difficult for him to be unbiased in (although he did let slip a ‘bastard’ in there). He posted it, setting his phone down, still quite antsy.

 

    Seokjin smiled, cuddling up to Jungkook, who had frozen up. “Let’s talk about something else now. What new movies are coming out? It’s been so long since we last saw one.” And the two slowly went back into the rhythm they had built into their cozy home.

 

-------------------------

 

     Seokjin walked home after a long day at the bakery. At this point, having to get up extremely early in the morning and fix an issue another baker made, then deal with an irritating customer who clearly didn't understand how establishments worked, he was tired.

 

    I love my job, he thought, and I wouldn't change it for the world but right now I really just want to bang my head against a wall.

 

    Seokjin approached his front door, putting the key in the lock and unlocked it. He swung it open, expecting to see an empty living room, or an excitable living room where Jungkook was watching television or playing games.

 

    Yeah, that's not what he saw.

 

    Instead, he saw junk food of all kinds piled on his dining table, banners and streamers all over his walls, and five people more that he would have thought.

 

    “Surprise!” they yelled, throwing their hands in the air. Seokjin just stared as Taehyung approached him with his boxy smile, grabbing his arm and dragging him inside the apartment.

 

    “Hyung! Come in, come in! We have a bunch of food and Namjoon brought some Mario games and-”

 

    “Why are you here? What is this?” Seokjin interrupted, gently removing his hand from Taehyung’s grip.

 

    Jimin bounced up to them, sweet smile on his face. “What? We can’t have a party to celebrate how much we love and appreciate our hyung?” He then started walking away, towards the table of food as he grabbed a plate.

 

    Seokjin looked on in confusion for a few moments, but realization soon hit him. “This is because of what Jungkook sent in the group chat, isn’t it?”

 

    Everyone froze, the entire apartment silent. Jimin approached his hyung, no longer cheerful. “Yes, because we- how could that have happened to you?! You are the best person in the world! I can’t believe you had to suffer through that!”

 

     Seokjin felt Taehyung slightly pull him, and Seokjin turned to face him as Taehyung also looked on with a serious face. “I’m sorry hyung, for pestering you when you didn’t sing with us. I didn’t know about this. I’m sorry.”

 

    Seokjin stared at Taehyung’s near crying face, then snorted as he started laughing. The others looked at him, bewildered.

 

    “You guys!” Seokjin stated as he grabbed a surprised Taehyung, wrapping him in a hug. “You’re the best. This isn’t that big of a deal to me. Taehyung, Jimin, I’ll go to karaoke with you, just don’t expect me to sing, alright?”

 

    Hoseok, smiling his big, heart shaped smile, bounded over to Seokjin, placing an arm around him and steering him to the dining table. “Alright! We have all this food, so let’s get this party started!”

 

    And it was many hours of fun, the members pigging out on the food, Seokjin and the maknaes yelling at each other while they played Mario Kart while the other members looked on,  shaking their heads. The members just all around had a great time in each others company.

 

    However, soon came the time to leave. Trash from many bags of chips and other such things were collected and thrown away. The members (excluding Jungkook and Seokjin, of course, as they lived there) packed up their things and put on their shoes as they were saying their goodbyes.

 

    “Oh wait!” Jimin exclaimed as he nearly walked out the door. “Jin-hyung, you’re still coming with us, right? Next week?”

 

    Seokjin blinked rapidly, unsure of what Jimin was asking him. “What are you talking about?”

 

    “He’s talking about this, hyung.” Namjoon said as he pulled out a flyer that he handed to Seokjin. “It’s a singing showcase, where people just sing for the fun of it. None of us are applying, but we’d thought it’d be fun. You coming?”

 

    Seokjin scoffed. “Of course I am! What, I’m fine with karaoke but not with this?”

 

    Namjoon ducked his head, dimples out. “We just wanted to make sure.” He turned and walked out the door. “Bye hyung!”

 

    The members left, all wishing him and heading home. Seokjin closed the door only to feel hands around his waist. Seokjin smiled, turning his head to see Jungkook behind him.

 

    “Jungkook~” Seokjin mock-whined, still with a smile on his face. “I have things I need to do.”

 

    Jungkook just held him closer, nosing behind Seokjin’s ear, leaving light kisses on his neck. “You know we love you, right?”

 

    Seokjin didn’t say anything for a bit. Just relishing in the warmth and safety he felt in Jungkook’s arms. “Of course I know.”

 

    Jungkook kissed Seokjin on the cheek. “Good. Because all of us care deeply for you. None of us are like that kid. We’ll always be there for you.”

 

    “I know.”

 

    Seokjin turned in Jungkook’s embrace, wrapping his hands around his neck as he gently and lovingly kissed him, the two sharing a chaste but passionate kiss.

 

-------------------------

 

    We’ll always be there for you.

 

    That sentence swirled around in Seokjin’s mind. It was the middle of the night; he should be sleeping. But his thoughts were not allowing him too.

 

    Seokjin sat up, blankets pooling at his waist. He glanced at Jungkook, softly grinning as he saw how dead to the world he was. He pulled the blanket up Jungkook’s body, making sure he was covered as he leaned over and placed a kiss on Jungkook’s cheek.

 

    Seokjin sat back up, trying to decide what on earth to do with his thoughts. As he glanced to his other side, however, his thought flittered to a single piece of paper. Seokjin reached over and grabbed both his phone and the flyer that rested on his nightstand, turning his phone on to use it’s light. He looked at the flyer, just barely skimming as another sentence invaded his mind.

 

    You know we love you, right?

 

    “Of course I do,” Seokjin whispered into the night. “I love you too.”

 

    And as he looked at the flyer, the words ‘Can apply until the day of the event!’ popped out at him. He put his phone down and stared at the flyer as a single thought started to form in his head.

 

-------------------------

 

    Seokjin knocked on the door of the recording studio, waiting for a specific, grumpy individual to open the door. His wish was answered as the door swung open, revealing Yoongi, who was glaring at Seokjin with tired eyes. Before he could start grumbling, Seokjin held up the bag in his left hand.

 

    “I brought food,” was all he needed to say before Yoongi stepped aside, letting him in. Seokjin took the containers out, opening them and passing one over to Yoongi as they sat to eat.

 

    “So what are you here for hyung?” Yoongi asked, glancing at Seokjin. Seokjin didn’t answer immediately, wanting to finish chewing and swallowing his mouthful first.

 

    “First, I know how you get when you are working. I wanted to make sure you were eating properly.”

 

    Yoongi nodded, bringing more food to his mouth. As Seokjin didn’t continue, Yoongi raised an eyebrow. “And second?”

 

    Seokjin placed his chopsticks down and leaned back, letting out a sigh. Yoongi just continued looking at him, trying to scrutinize him. “Second…”

 

“...I need a favor”

 

-------------------------

 

    Applause was heard from every corner of the audience as the person on stage concluded their song. It was the middle of the showcase, and people were having a great time listening to the people who performed.

 

    The event was very homey, the simple stage being set up in a park, many lawn chairs placed in front of it for the audience. While it seemed low maintenance, there were actually around 500 people there, barely having enough chairs for everyone. There was even a backstage for the people who performed. The day was bright and sunny. It was perfect.

 

    “Wooowww,” Jimin said, drawing out his amazement. “These people are so good at singing! I wish I could be at their level.”

 

    “Jimin,” Seokjin said, smiling reassuringly. “You shouldn’t talk like that. You have an amazing voice that deserves to be heard. Didn’t Yoongi ask you to feature in one of his songs?”

 

    “Yeah, but-”

 

    “No buts! You know that Yoongi only has the best taste. He wouldn’t have asked you if you weren’t good.”

 

    Jimin smiled widely as he rested his head on his hyung’s wide shoulder. “Thanks hyung. But you know these people are good!”

 

    “I know.” Seokjin looked back at the stage and watched as the next person set up. As he saw the next person go on stage, he glanced down at his watch and, remembering the time he was told, stood up. “I’m going to use the bathroom.”

 

    “Have fun at the porta-potties!” Jimin whispered, teasing Seokjin as he stood up and made his way past the people in his row. Seokjin started walking towards the porta-potties, but as he glanced back to see whether he could be seen by his friends, he started walking towards the stage, slipping behind it and entering backstage.

 

    “Good, you’re here!” said the event manager. “Once this person is finished we’ll set up for you, okay?”

 

    Seokjin nodded, smiling as he started walking further backstage. However, the further he got, the darker everything seemed and the more he could feel his heart thumping in his chest.

 

    Seokjin was lost in his thoughts. Okay. I planned to do this, and I can. He kept repeating in his head the same line. Again and again. But he couldn’t help the fear that was plaguing his mind. He felt sick to his stomach.

 

    His mind returned to his childhood, the moment his heart was ripped out of his chest by that child. The times he tried to sing but couldn’t, his voice getting stuck in his throat. The despair when he realized that what had once brought him joy only brought anxiety. Seeing his mother’s face as she asked again and again why he quit singing, only seeing her sorrow as he never told her why. She knew he enjoyed it, knew he needed it.

 

    Seokjin could feel his own throat closing. He swallowed with difficulty, his mouth feeling very dry, his tongue feeling like lead in his mouth. He couldn’t do anything. He was frozen.

 

    Seokjin felt someone thump his back. “Okay, it’s your turn. Now get up there!”

 

    On shaking legs, Seokjin found himself walking up the stairs onto the stage as he heard the announcer saying his name.

 

-------------------------

 

    The members clapped as the next person ended their song. Jungkook looked over to his boyfriend, but paused as he saw an empty seat next to Jimin.

 

    “Hey, Jimin-hyung. Where did Jin-hyung go?” Jungkook asked, leaning over Taehyung who was in between him and Jimin.

 

    “He went to the bathroom. But it’s been a bit. I feel like he should have been back by now.” Jimin answered, expressing concern.

 

    Jungkook was about to say a little more, but Taehyung pushed him up, off of him. “I’m sure Jin-hyung is fine,” Taehyung said. “Just enjoy the showcase. Look, they’re about to announce the next person!”

 

    The members watched as the announcer came on stage, holding the microphone as she read her sheet. “Okay, next we have a man who wrote his own song and is performing it here today!”

 

    “Ooh, they wrote their own song!” Hoseok said, excited. “I can’t wait!”

 

    “Now give it up for… Kim Seokjin!”

 

    The members easygoing expressions turned into shocked gasps as they registered the name, and even more as they saw the person who was walking on stage.

 

    “He’s singing!” Taehyung gasped out. “But I thought he couldn’t- I thought the trauma was too much!”

 

    “It is too much,” Namjoon said as the members looked at Seokjin closer, and saw what he saw.

    They saw how Seokjin stood in the middle of the stage, just looking around the audience. They saw how his hands shook as he took the microphone, saw how he took in choked breaths as he looked into the audience, eyes searching for something.

 

    But they also saw how, once Seokjin’s eyes made contact with their own, he swallowed, eyes draining the fear in them and filling with determination. His arms stopped shaking, and he straightened up as he looked towards the sound person and gave a quick nod.

 

    “What-” Jimin mumbled, still disbelieving. Jungkook, however, just waited, and watched.

 

    The sounds of piano keys came through the speakers, enveloping the audience in the mood that the song was going for. They saw as Seokjin took in one final deep breath, letting it out before bring his microphone up and starting to sing.

 

    “Urin neomu dalla...” (We were too different)

 

    The member’s mouths dropped open at the first line. As he continued singing in the lower, calmer register, they fully took in his voice.

 

    “Oh my god,” Hoseok whispered, eyes wide in awe. “This- his voice is…”

 

    “Amazing,” Namjoon finished, the word coming out like a declaration.

 

    They continued to relish in his voice as the stanza ended. They saw how Seokjin took a deep breath in, and heard the next line.

 

    “Ihaehaji anha…” (“I don’t understand”)

 

    And here, the audience first heard the background vocal, that was an octave higher, that played in the recording Seokjin made. Yoongi remembered how Seokjin asked him to teach him how to record music, and how Yoongi had asked one of his subordinates to help Seokjin as he was busy. Yoongi didn’t know why, but now he knew.

 

    The spell of Seokjin’s soft voice held the audience captive as he continued the stanza, but the spell changed to pure adoration as the soft singing ended and the soulful one began. Seokjin moved over to his friends, who would support him through thick and thin, and started to sing.

 

    “Nan neoreul saranghae~!” (I love you)

 

    For here was where Seokjin’s true talent first appeared, his voice out in the open as he sang his declaration of love again and again.

 

    The members had to take deep breaths to keep from crying, seeing very clearly how Seokjin was singing to them. They could hear how other members of the audience had started crying, tears running down their face.

 

    As Seokjin sang his fifth ‘I love you’, the audience felt their heart clench as Seokjin’s voice tapered out near the end, becoming very soft and hesitant, as if the love was too much to bear. As he repeated it, they felt their heart’s clench even more, as its effects lingered.

 

    “Ttaseuhan geudaeui songillo~” (To your warm touch)

 

    And here was like a bomb dropped on the audience, as the people whose tears had not fallen found their faces to be wet, and the people who were hesitant to appreciate found themselves unable to argue. The passion in his voice hit everyone deeply, and how long he held out the last note shocked many.

 

    “He held the note for so long...” Jimin whispered, voice soft and choked up as tears ran down his face.

 

    And then came the harmony of ‘I love you’ in the background, as it erupted from the speakers. The audience waited with bated breath at what the singer would do next, and their hearts were snatched so deeply as they saw Seokjin raise the microphone to his face, his own tears shining on his face, as he started singing his next line.

 

    “Oh my god,” Taehyung choked out. “He’s doing ad libs.”

 

    The audience were speechless as they heard his powerful ad libs, his voice echoing over the expanse of the audience (even though that was impossible, since they were outside). Then they heard him repeat a line, the line before the chorus of harmonious ‘I love you’ emerged, with even more passion than what he had the first time.

 

    Then the audience heard the tone of the song change, and Jungkook’s eyes widened as his eyes connected with Seokjin’s, as he realized that Seokjin wanted to say this to him.

 

    “Nareul anajwo” (Please hold me)

 

    “Nareul jabajwo” (Please catch me)

 

    Seokjin finished, bringing the microphone down as the song ended. He started in shock as he heard a massive amount of applause. For him.

 

    He found his eyes widening beyond belief as he saw people starting to stand, clapping continuously until he found himself standing in front of a standing ovation. That was for him. For his voice.

 

    He heard hurried thuds to the side, and as he looked to the sound he saw Jungkook running full speed onto the stage.

 

    “Jungkook?! Wha-” Seokjin started to say, but was cut off as Jungkook wrapped his arms around him and lifting him off the ground, spinning him around in the air before dropping him down and pulling him into a warm hug.

 

    “Jungko-”

 

    “Hyung,” Jungkook said, eyes staring straight into Seokjin’s as he pulled back. “That kid was an idiot.”

 

    Seokjin blinked, then found himself laughing as Jungkook dragged him off stage, immediately becoming the center of a huge group hug with his friends.

 

    “Hyung, your voice is amazing! You’re not allowed to say anything else about it!” he heard Jimin pipe up from the group hug.

 

    Seokjin couldn’t respond, only being able to laugh in joy, smiling widely as he basked in his friend’s warmth.