The Kang Family

Tadhana

“Wakey, Jen. We’re here.” Jennie feels someone shaking her. She finds Solar as she opened her eyes. She immediately scanned the area. It looks they are in a quiet village surrounded by houses of various sizes. Right now, they are in front of a two-storey house that has a tall gate. “Where are we? This isn’t my place. Last I checked I still live in my condo in Seoul.” Jennie inquired groggily. Seulgi rang the doorbell and seconds after, a beautiful girl emerged from the gate. “You’re an idiot, this is still Seoul.” Solar said.

                “Irene!” Jennie exclaimed as the older girl beamed widely and embraced her. “Welcome home, Jen. Seulgi was very excited to see you.”Joohyun announced.

                “Yes, but she wasn’t that happy to see me.” Seulgi commented and pouted in which Joohyun immediately kisses away. “Welcome to Kang residence. Leave your shoes outside. It’s not easy to clean the floors, you know.” Added Seulgi. So this is Seulgi and Irene’s place. Jennie thought and took the time to see the surroundings. There’s a big lawn filled with flowers and two big trees. The house itself is a fusion of the traditional Korean house and the minimalism and open spaces of modern houses. It was warm here and deeply relaxing. She has never been to the couple’s place after they got married and even when they had their first child due to her tight schedule.

                “How’s the change of house, Hyun? Did you find it easier to live here than in the city?” Solar asked. Jennie hears Joohyun respond an affirmative. While the older girls proceeded to the kitchen, Jennie went to the garden, under a large tree. The cold breeze and the jet lag are making her sleepy. She sat at a bench under the tree and leaned on the seat. I’m sure Jisoo would love this garden. She thought. Jisoo. She opened her eyes. Where the hell did that come from? Why all of a sudden she thinks of her old bandmate? Her thoughts are interrupted by Joohyun. “Like it here, Jen?”

                “Yes, a lot. You have a beautiful home.”

                “You looked tired. Seulgi is right, you really need that break.” Joohyun observed. Jennie looked down to further hide her embarrassment. “Don’t worry about it, Hyun. We convinced Jennie to take that well deserved break.” Solar said as she placed the tray of sandwiches in the garden table.

                “And how did you do it?” Joohyun asked, her eyes got slightly big.

                “They bullied me.” Jennie answered while glaring at Solar. The older girls laughed. “Don’t believe her. We did no such thing. We just cancelled all her schedules. For three months.” Solar answered.

                “Three months?! What the hell will I do during those times, Yongsun?” Jennie exclaimed. Joohyun laughed her distinct dolphin-like laugh. “Well you can be our daughter’s nanny for one. I’m going to be doing research for my next project these coming months and I will really appreciate it if you do.” She offered.

                “Research? Wow you’re really serious when you said you’ll no longer make a comeback in the music industry.” Jennie said amused. Joohyun smiled shyly which added to her allure. Jennie can’t help but remember the time when she used to have a big crush on her. “Well yes, after I gave birth I realized that I always wanted to be present in my daughter’s life and that I have used up my years as an idol well. I have never regretted my decision in retiring early. Plus, the organization I work provided me with a sense of contentment.”

                “Joohyun is now a researcher for this non-government organization which promoted gender equality and women’s liberation. She is also their spokesperson.” Solar explained while taking a bite of her sandwich. “You know what, I agree with you, Hyun. Jennie could babysit your daughter while you’re gone in the mornings. That way, you won’t be stressing over the qualifications of a babysitter. Besides, Jennie, that’s your goddaughter we’re talking about here. It’s time you finally make your presence felt in her life.” Solar said while she and Joohyun continued to laugh. “Hey, wait a minute, speaking of which, where is our little angel?” Solar asked.

                “She’s here. Asleep. Don’t wake her up or I’ll smack you.” Seulgi said suddenly appearing from the house carrying a small bundle in her arms. Jennie almost melts when she sees the little girl in Seulgi’s arms. She’s definitely her kid with that distinct monolid and all. The only thing that baby gets from Joohyun is the lips. Ah, the wonders of stem cell technology. “Hey, Jennie. Recognize your goddaughter? She’s 1 now.” Seulgi said while laughing. Jennie raised her arms, offering to carry to the little girl but Seulgi hugged her closely to her chest and poked her tongue. “Seulgi is overprotective of our baby bear. You can’t hold her when Seulgi is holding her.” Joohyun explained.

                “Love, I suggested that Jennie be our daughter’s babysitter since she said she doesn’t have anything to do now that you have cancelled all her appointments.” Joohyun explained. “It will only be in the mornings. I will be handling it as I arrive in the afternoon.”

                “Wait, I never accepted that! I don’t know anything about kids!” Jennie yelled. “What? That’s impossible! You have that mother’s instinct.” Solar answered, yelling as well. Seulgi’s daughter stirred and showed signs of waking up. Seulgi silently swatted Solar and tries to prevent her daughter from crying. Joohyun immediately got her daughter from her wife to sing a lullaby. After a few minutes, the little one continued sleeping. “Whew, that was a close one. A grumpy baby bear is worse than a typhoon and volcanic eruption combined.” Seulgi retorts.

                “Your baby is so cute! Is she really yours, Seulgi?” Jennie asked. Solar laughed while Seulgi just sent her a dirty finger. Jennie appreciated the effort her friends made to catch up with her and it has been cathartic for her to talk to the older girls. It was a pleasant afternoon and the conversations went from parenting tips to Mamamoo’s reunion concert. “I’m really excited to perform with the girls again. I know I always work with Wheein and Hwasa since I produce their songs and that I practically live with Byul but when we are together as Mamamoo, it’s different. It’s like karaoke night but more intense.” Solar narrates, happiness radiating from her eyes.

                “Huh, just wait till Joy and Yeri finished their fashion week stint and we’ll slap you with a Red Velvet comeback.” Seulgi retorts good naturedly. “How about you, Jen? Have you contacted your band mates after the split?” Joohyun carefully asked. Jennie sighed. She hasn’t talked to anyone of her former bandmates after they disbanded. After all that has happened, Jennie thinks she doesn’t have the guts to show her face to Rose, Lisa, and Jisoo. Jisoo. Whatever happened to her? She just disappeared from the limelight. “I haven’t contacted them. Besides, they are too busy with their lives right now.” Jennie answered slowly. It’s true the former Blackpink girls have their lives full. Lisa is now a world renowned choreographer and solo artist. Rose is now a music producer as well and owns half of YG with Bobby after winning a lawsuit against the former CEO. She and Lisa stayed with the label after the split. Jisoo returned to acting after quitting Blackpink. She was good at it and even won a prestigious acting award. Two years after, she just disappeared. No one heard from her again but rumors say that she moved to Chuncheon to live a quiet life.

                By late afternoon, Jennie drove back to her condo to get her stuff that was delivered there upon arrival at the airport. She will be staying with the Kang family for the duration of her vacation. She passed by Hongdae on the way back to the Kang residence and there was a sudden rush of memories. She’s taken back to the days when they were still carefree and the only thing they care about is perfecting the dance routine and performing well. There was a sudden ache in Jennie’s heart. She will be lying if she insists she does not miss the girls. Oh what she would give to bring those days back and if only things were different.