Back to Where It Starts

Tadhana

After all of the things that had happened to Jennie Kim this year, the last thing she wants to do is to go back to Seoul and drown herself in her work. Sure, she misses her friends, and she can ask for a break from her modelling agency, but being the co-owner of the world’s most influential music company requires her meticulous eye for detail and strict management. No, she’s not saying that her co-owners Seulgi and Solar does not exert too much effort, they do. They are just too kind sometimes, especially Seulgi who can let anyone slip. No, she is not going to think about work right now. She can maximize this 12 hour flight from London to Seoul to catch on some sleep or maybe get some photographs of the islands from the window.

Jennie ended up sleeping. It can’t be helped since the pilot decided to dim the lights. One of the disadvantages of flying first class is the lack of interesting people to talk to. Even though Jennie isn’t big on socializing, she likes to hear stories from other people. That way, she temporarily forgets about herself and the stress she’s been through. She woke up thirty minutes before her flight lands. In this silent setting one cannot help but think. It has been a tough year, alright. Jennie travelled all around the world as the face of Optima – a fashion brand founded by her former idol friends. Aside from that, she also did a campaign for Vogue Italia and Chanel. These events coincide with her tour for her new album. She hasn’t stopped in a country for more than a couple of days. She knows she can always take a break. It’s not as if she has a leash that holds her unlike the earlier days of her career. But she didn’t. She didn’t take a break for a long time. She has become a workaholic. She feels like she has a lot to prove.

This must be the reason why her fiancée cheated on her. The other woman can give her fiancée more time and devotion. Jennie sighed. Nope, not going to think about the past. It’s time to move on from all the things that made her what she is today. Still, coming back to Seoul gives her so much dread. She doesn’t know why. She’d rather be in New Zealand with her parents or in Miami lounging at a beach with a mango smoothie and maybe get lucky with a hot lady.

The pilot announced that they have successfully landed at Incheon Airport. As Jennie is coming down of the plane, her phone rang. “Hey, princess. Had a good flight?” Solar asked from the other end. Jennie can hear Seulgi obnoxiously laughing at the back. “Welcome back to Seoul, Miss Jennie Kim.” Solar continued imitating the way airport staff greet people. “What do you want, Kim Yongsun?”

“Ooooh, full name. Someone’s in a bad mood already?” Solar asked and snickers. Jennie rolled her eyes. “We missed you so much, Jen! We carefully watched the update of your flight online.”

“You just saw me last week in Beijing, Solar.” Jennie chuckled. “Yeah, but it’s different. Today, you are in Seoul! We’re going to pick you up.” Solar said.

“No need, I can manage. I don’t want to be a bother.” Jennie said. Solar wasn’t able to answer as Seulgi started shouting Jennie’s name loudly from the Arrival gate. Jennie wanted to die from embarrassment and adjusted her hat to hide her face from the paparazzi. Upon reaching her friends, she was immediately enveloped in a tight hug. “Look at you, Kim Jennie. You don’t look good. Are you sleeping?” Seulgi asked.

“Of course, I am. What are you guys doing here?” She asked. The older girls laughed. “You actually don’t believe us when we said we missed you? Harsh, Jennie!” Seulgi answered. Jennie cocked an eyebrow at her friends-slash-business-partners.

“Okay fine, we are also here to discuss something with you and this cannot wait.” Solar said upon entering Seulgi’s car. “But first, tell me about the UK. Was it really cold there?” Seulgi innocently asked. “I have only been to London, and yes, it’s damn cold. I overused my sweaters.”

“Oh gee, Jennie Kim would like to die first before the paps can snap a photo of her wearing the same clothes. Ridiculous!” Solar said in fake exasperation as she opened a bag of caramel flavored potato chips. “Guys, what is it that you want to discuss with me to actually go out of your way and fetch me at the airport?” Jennie said as she grabbed the bag of chips from Solar.

“What do you mean we went out to fetch you?” Seulgi asked. “Well, you made an effort to fetch me. The thing you’re about to discuss must be very important.” Jennie answered with a mouthful of chips. “Oh gee, Kim Jennie, are you insinuating that we are all business here? Can’t we pick you up because we missed you?” Seulgi shouted, faking offense.

“Duh Seulgi, it’s a Sunday. Usually Solar is on a weekend vacation with Byul, and you, I’m shocked Irene let you out on a weekend.” Jennie said with a teasing tone.

“I killed a man, Jen! I killed a man! That’s what we need to discuss!” Solar suddenly blurted out. Jennie choked on her drink while looking at Solar. She’s finding the words to say when Seulgi and Solar both laughed out loud. Jennie let out an exasperated sigh and threw a chip to Solar. “You should have seen how big her eyes got!” Seulgi said, dying of laughter. Solar couldn’t even speak as she continues to laugh.

“Hey, eyes on the road, Seulgi! I can’t believe you guys.” Jennie said. Solar and Seulgi took ten minutes before finally stopped laughing and coughing. “Okay, serious now, Jen. Seulgi and I have been talking about this for a long time.” Solar started and Jennie can’t help but stare at her friend, looking for an indication that this must be another prank. “You worked so hard these past couple of years, and we know you faced a lot of troubles including a heartbreak from she-who-must-not-be-named, which caused you to drown yourself in different fashion campaigns and producing albums, so we decided to grant you a break.”

“A break?”

“Yes, have you gone deaf now? A break. A vacation, a “me” time. A break.” Seulgi reiterates. Both her friends looked at her through the rear view mirror. She can’t possibly take this offer. “Look, guys. I know you mean well but I cannot possibly accept that offer. Especially now that we are planning Wendy’s comeback.”

“Nope, we are not giving you a choice, anyway.” Solar said sternly. Jennie gulped. She knows not to challenge Solar when she becomes serious. Being the eldest in the three of them gives Solar the additional authority to be strict and just be the boss. Jennie huffed and crossed her arms. “I have lots of events scheduled, just so you know.” She said.

“You’re not cute when you act bratty, you know.” Seulgi says. “And what events? We cancelled all of them.”

“What?! You can’t just do that!” Jennie exclaimed.

“We just did.” Replied Solar. Jennie is at loss for words. She hates the two right now but at the same time, something inside of her is thankful. She leaned on the seat and made face. She wonders how she missed these two at the same time wanting to strangle them for making decisions without her. Especially one that concerns her.