Choices (Alternative Ending)

Marks

Friday

 

Nayoung looked at her assistant who was currently going through one of their books, noticing how upset the younger one seemed. “So, you noticed it.” She said in her usual calm tone, feeling a bit more in control of herself after last week’s confrontation with Fate – that short old lady surely had a temper. “Things are bound to happen. Destiny and you should know it.”

The raven haired woman sighed, not bothering in hiding her feelings any longer. Nayoung and her might not agree on a lot of things, but she didn’t have much option other than being honest now. “Why couldn’t you just allow her in that day? If you had, she could’ve get the book and…”

“And act as reckless as you and Sungyeon have been acting?” Im shook her head in disapproval, crossing her arms. She might be the youngest goddess and make mistakes once in a while, however, she was trying her best to do things right this time around. “Humans have free will for a reason. I’m giving them the right of choice, and you can’t choose things without time.”

Kyulkyung grimaced, closing the book to glare at the older woman. “You say this as if the mark can’t affect their feelings. The longer we wait, the stronger than bond gets.”

Nayoung massaged her temples, an old habit that was getting out of hand with all the stress Fate and her stubborn assistant had been putting her through. One would think that her, as the guardian of the soulmates, would have more freedom to act. “The mark can’t force them to do anything. It doesn’t create feelings, it just helps them to connect and makes things easy.” The soulmate system, like the council liked to call, wasn’t a simple thing, it depended as much of the people as it depended of her choices – that’s why she always felt tired and stressed, overwhelmed by every single choice she ever made. She wasn’t able to create love, to forge it and give it away whenever it pleased her, she could only to give humans a good chance of developing the feeling for someone who could also feel the same. “It can’t change their hearts. The final choice is always up to them.”

Silence filled the air as the chinese girl took into consideration Nayoung’s words, putting the book back into the shelf. They had so many books, she had lost the count of the times she had tried to read it and failed most of the time – Nayoung told her that only who need it, can read it. She felt like she really needed it right now, yet she was only able to check the registry books and nothing else. Kyulkyung wondered if Minkyung would be able to read the red book once she got the chance or if it would be useless.

Ju had put all her hopes into this, believing it was the right thing to do. To know, there was a chance it all would only lead to another mishap was affecting her more than expected. While Sungyeon showed her unhappiness with an attitude, she could only show it by the heavy sighs she let escaped once in a while. Yaebin was a very dear person to her, her first real friend in that country and the one person who had always supported her and Eunwoo in their crazy antics. Yaebin deserved her own love story, one without so much pain and heartbreak – unfortunately, it was out of Kyulkyung’s reach. Just like giving Eunwoo a happy ending seem to be.

“Nayoung unnie?” Her voice was small when she called for the elder, she could feel Nayoung’s inscrutable eyes on her. “Sungyeon told me you are able to see a lot of things to help you choose what is best.”

The older brunette raised her brow slightly, her eyes becoming a little sharper. “I can’t see things like she does. I only catch a glimpse of fate.”

“You can see how it ends.” Such a simple statement also carried so much weight. Kyulkyung knew for a while about it, even before a very annoyed Destiny decide to snap at Nayoung, she was smart enough to presume it. Im needed to know this much to do her work properly, to plan on who should be with who, and when it should happen. However, it took Kyul a long time to accept what it meant to her.

Nayoung didn’t say anything, knowing what was coming next and bracing herself to a conversation she would rather to not have.

“If could see what my destiny was, why did you assign me a soulmate? It goes against the protocol.” There was no anger in the assistant’s tone, she couldn’t blame Nayoung for this. As bittersweet as it was, the woman had granted her the chance of being by Eunwoo’s side, even if only for a couple of months.

The goddess let her eyes wander through the shop, avoiding Kyul’s dark eyes. She had reprimand Sungyeon for meddling in human matter, but how much better she really was? She was in no position to censor the other divinity. All the mistakes she made, every bad decision, would always torment her, but she couldn’t possibly regret that one.

“Doesn’t everyone deserve a chance at love?” Braving up, the older woman looked at Kyulkyung.

The assistant could have argued that it wasn’t fair to her soulmate, nor for her, that loving and losing was much worse than never falling in love. She could have said that watching Eunwoo suffer because of her was killing her all over again. But she didn’t. Because no matter how much it pained them both, how much it made her frustrated and sad, she didn’t regret it. Kyulkyung would never regret having Eunwoo in her life, being with her and loving her. She knew it was the same for the Jung. Nayoung had giving them happiness, even if it was briefly.

So she just listened in silence, a small, sad smile on her face as she took a seat next to her boss.

“Thank you.”

“I’m sorry.”

The simple sentences, filled with sincerity were enough for now. As much as Kyulkyung’s destiny was to cross paths with Eunwoo in life, it was also her fate to stand by Nayoung for the rest of her existence. They had a long way to go.

 


 

Sitting at a booth in the corner of a quiet restaurant near Minkyung’s workplace, Yewon stared at her sister with shock, reaching to take Minky’s left hand between hers. Her gaze darting from her conflicted sister to the mark on her palm. “Oh my god, unnie! H-How? I thought you wouldn’t ever…” She began, her tone full of shock and worry.

Minkyung retreated her hand, feeling uncomfortable under her little sister’s gaze. She knew that her family wouldn’t deal well with it, just like herself they had grown used to the idea that she would never get a soul mark, specially one that connected her to a stranger instead of Kyungwon. Yewon hadn’t said anything about her sister in law yet, but they both knew she was wondering where it placed Kang now.

“I don’t know…It just happened.” She shrugged, closing her hand and pulling it closer to her body.

With a deep breath, she gave Yewon a short version of what happened in the last month. As she spoke, she noticed Yewon’s usually bright smile slowly disappearing giving space to a gloomy look.

“So that why you just left that night…You told mom and dad about it?”

The older Kim nodded, refraining from grimacing at the memory. Earlier that day she had sat down with her parents and explained it all, and as expected of her parents they had supported her in the best way they could, albeit none of them knew what to tell her or how to react. They knew her girlfriend since middle school, their families were as tied together just as the girls were, and it was hard to simply act like it wasn’t a huge family matter that could affect them all.

 “They told me to be honest with myself and do what I think is the best.” She said, fidgeting with the ring on her hand, not finding the comfort it usually brought.  She wasn’t sure how she was supposed to make a decision when all of her choices would hurt someone in the end, including herself.

“It’s a good advice.” The younger brunette’s voice was quiet, her expression thoughtful as if she was trying to form her own opinion on the matter. For her, the soulmate mark was a bless, something that connected her to someone she had loved almost instantly and brought her nothing but happiness. It didn’t seem fair that her sister received one after so long, just to ruin her already happy life. “How is Kyungwon unnie doing?”

Another heavy sigh came out of the taller woman. “I’m not sure. She has been very busy with work, or at least it’s what she tells me.” Minkyung frowned, the grip on her ringer growing a bit stronger. “She is just being Kyungwon, what means that she putting everyone but herself first.” Letting go of the ring, Minkyung used her right hand to massaged her temple where a headache was making her presence known. “We don’t talk that much anymore and I can’t blame her for it…Sometimes we try but it’s… It doesn’t seem like us anymore.”

She remembered the last time they sat down to watch her favorite series together, but instead of cuddling in the couch, spending more time making out than actually watching anything like they used to do, they sat far apart and actually paid attention to the TV, filling the empty space with random comments about the show. Whenever they tried something, it all just seem off. The hugs were awkward, the kisses clumsy. After a couple of episodes they agreed on going to bed, where none of them slept right away, exchanging awkward smiles as they lay on their side of the bed until Kyungwon finally hugged her. The hug lacked the usual warmth, Kang’s pansy scent unable to calm her and lead her peacefully to dream land. That night she lost the count of how many times she woke up, disturbed by nightmares. In the end, she simply rolled to the side, laying on her back and staring at the ceiling until she could fall asleep in the early morning.

Part of her knew she should be the one taking action, trying to bring Kyungwon closer not only to her body, but also to her heart. Nevertheless, she simply couldn’t. An irrational fear growing in her chest every time she hugged the girl and she felt something was off, every time they kissed and it didn’t make her heart skip a beat…She was afraid of trying and failing to feel like she used to.

“I don’t know what I would do in her place…I don’t even know if what I’m doing right now is the right thing for us.” Minky spoke, feeling her eyes heavy with tears that wouldn’t fall and her shoulders even heavier with the weight of her unmade choices. She shook her head slightly. “I need to think about Yaebin too.” Yaebin, who was a new part of her life, shouldn’t be considered any less important and the more time they spend together, the more she was starting to understand that the younger woman wasn’t something she could simply brush aside.

There was a glimpse of surprise on Yewon’s eyes, but it soon disappeared as she averted her gaze. “I don’t know this girl, Minky. I don’t how you feel about her either.” Her voice was careful, even quieter than before. “But what I, or anyone else thinks, doesn’t really matter. It only matters what you feel.” She gave her older sister a small, fond smile. “And you deserve the world, unnie. Don’t let anyone get in the way of your happiness.” Yewon gave her hands another comforting squeeze before pulling back, giving the older girl some space.

Minkyung returned her smile. She wasn’t sure she really deserved so much kindness of all people in her life, not when she was the one putting them through such a tough time, however she was glad for having them by her side. She slid on her seat, to get closer to her little sister. “Yewon, I love you!” She said, hugging the younger girl tight. Yewon left out a light chuckle, hugging her back and even without looking Minkyung knew that her eye smile was back on her face as it was supposed to be. She kissed the girl’s head affectionately. “I should’ve called you earlier, I miss talking to you.”

“You can always call me, you know that. That’s what family is for.” The smaller brunette reassured, breaking the hug to give Minkyung a gentle pat on the shoulder. “Now let’s eat. I have to go back to my rehearsal and you to your work, and we haven’t even touched the food yet.”

The older Kim nodded, only then realizing that her drink had gone cold and her sandwich was still intact on her plate. They ate in a comfortable silence that somewhat was the most relaxing time Minkyung had in a while – being with any of the Kangs was a pleasure and a pain at the same time, and it was something that they couldn’t help her with.

After lunch, she walked Yewon to the door, ready to wave her goodbye when the brown haired girl took a gentle hold of her hands demanding her attention. Brown eyes, the same shade as hers, faced her with seriousness albeit her sister still had a smile on her face.

“I’m sure Kyungwon only wants you to be happy. Just like I do.” Yewon’s small, warm and soft hands squeezed hers gently, rubbing circles on the back of it to try and calm Minkyung down. There was hesitation in her tone, when she proceeded. “But you also need to think about her happiness. I love you both. I hope you can find a way to work things out, as a couple or….” The younger Kim signature smile was nowhere to be seen now, replaced by a thin line of worry. “Anyway, I’m always here for you, so keep it in mind.” She stepped back, letting go of the elder’s hand to give her a small wave. “Call me if you need anything!”

Minkyung forced her thin lips into a smile, returning her little sister’s wave with a weak one. “I’ll. Take care, Yewonie.”

 


 

“Mom? Dad? I’m home!” The tall Kang called, stepping inside her parent’s house front yard. The Kangs weren’t exactly a quiet family, making it rather easy to tell when there was no one home – like now. The girl called her mother, listening as the woman showered her with unnecessary apologies for not being there to welcome her and ask her to come in using the ‘secret’ spare key.

She sighed, thinking that luck was never on her side. Kyungwon had traveled hours to come visit her family for the weekend, yet, her parents went to visit a distant relative of theirs and they wouldn’t be home until later today. The spare key was in one of the flower pots close to Kongie’s old dog house, something that was more decorative than useful since the white canine always stay inside.

Kyungwon entered the house and she was changing into the comfortable slippers her parents kept in the hall when a ball of white fur came running to meet her. “Kang Kongie!” She greeted with a sincere smile that was hardly seen lately, lowering herself to hug the small dog to her chest. The little guy greeted her with plenty of wet kisses that made her laugh and try to avoid his attempts of her face clean. “I missed you, too!” She caressed his soft fur, hugging him a little tighter.  The last month had been so tough on her that she couldn’t come by to see him, although she would still video call her family once in a while, it was not the same as to hold her dog in her arms.

 “When summer finally arrives we are going to that hotel I told you about.” Talking to Kongie may seem a little silly, considering the dog couldn’t really understand her words, but still it helped her relax and feel closer to him. Being around her beloved dog, in her family house had a calming effect on her, bringing the kind of happiness she wasn’t able to feel at her own house anymore. “I bought you some snacks! You want it?”

Placing the dog back on the floor, Kang reached out for something in her backpack, grabbing the dog cookies. Kongie obediently followed her as she searched for his plate and finally gave it to him. “Here you go! Good boy, you are the best boy!” She ruffled his fur a bit, before giving him some space so he could stuff himself with the snacks.

Leaving her backpack on the couch and getting rid of her coat, she made herself comfortable. Her mom had told her where to find food in case she felt hungry, but the brown haired woman couldn’t bring herself to eat anything – albeit she probably should, considering how much her mother would nag her for being too skinny and all those things every mom says. Instead, she walked through the house, smiling at the little details that bring her good memories. Her smile became bittersweet as she looked at the pictures where Minkyung was also present, as if she was part of the family as well. Shaking her head slightly, she moved, walking towards her room where pretty much everything still remains the same as when she was still in school.

Kongie, who came running as soon as he finished his meal, was once again following her, although he climbed her bed and lay there accompanying her with his eyes instead of running around. He was getting old. “Feeling tired? Yeah, me too.” Giving him a weak smile, she took a seat by her old desk, going through her old notebooks filled with drawings that ranged greatly in quality, but didn’t fail to make her smile nostalgic. The collection of illustrations were mainly from high school, the time where she first went to Seoul to study and would send her parents some drawings illustrating her daily life. Her dad, the gentle and warmhearted man, kept it all with great care and it was the reason for her to keep sending it even when she felt tired and frustrated with her school routine. Surprisingly, there weren’t that many mentions of Minky in her letters or in the drawings, however she knew soon the other girl would start to pop up more and more on it, claiming a very important place in her life.

There was a collection of books, some manga, and a huge shelf filled with her favorite anime and movies DVDs. Some pictures were scattered around the room, mostly pictures of her and her siblings in funny poses. As the oldest, she always felt protective of the other two, making sure they were always safe and sound. It was a relief to know they both, her twin sister and her younger brother, had grown up just fine and were already starting their own families now.

It was weird, that out of everyone in her family, she was the only one who hadn’t been graced with a soul mark and a fixed fate. She wondered if it meant something.

Pursing her lips tightly together, Kyungwon changed her focus to the old keyboard that rested on its case, probably forgotten by everyone else. Carefully, she opened the case, testing some of the keys before taking the keyboard out to plug it and proceed to test how it sounded – not very good, although she couldn’t affirm it was the instrument and not her rusty fingers that hadn’t played in so long. Nevertheless, she didn’t mind the sound quality. Little by little, her fingers got used to playing, hitting the right notes as a song naturally come up to the brunette’s mind. The song wasn’t upbeat, but it gave her a good feeling, specially when she started to sing it out loud – Kongie barked happily in return, no doubt remembering that his owner used to do sing it often. Kyungwon was too lost in the music to pay him attention, using it as an outlet to all her conflicted feelings.

The song had some melancholy to it, or maybe she was the one making the notes a bit longer than necessary to match her own mood.

Hours passed before she could hear the front door opening and her parents coming in. She glanced at Kongie that now slept comfortably on the bed. With a sigh, she stood up, careful to not make too much noise, and left the room. It was about time she told her parents what was going on, and allow herself to take comfort in their presence and words.

Perhaps spending some time out would help her see things more clearly.

 


 

Yaebin waved goodbye to her coworkers, locking the bookstore doors. It had been a tough day, full of customers coming and going, her mother calling her inquiring about her soulmate mark – she had no idea how the woman knew about it, but she knew for sure she didn’t want to talk to her about it just yet. While her only reliable confident, Eunwoo, had disappeared since last week, off to work on something – it was easy to drown into her own problems, but Eunwoo was still her closest friend and someone dear to her heart, not knowing where she was or what she was doing wasn’t something she could handle with easily. Nunu wasn’t an investigative reporter, and she tried to remind herself that the other was most likely just trying to get a scoop on some random celebrity and not trying to reveal a new drug cartel. However, it didn’t mean she didn’t miss her loud and nosy friend.

To complete, Kyla suddenly informed her that it would be her last week at work and now Yaebin would have to find a new part time worker that would hardly be as hard working and trustworthy as the younger girl was. Yooa said she knew someone, but they would still have to go through the normal interview process and Kang really hated this part of the work. She covered , yawning as she stepped back. Usually Minkyung would have come over to their usual meeting – was it a date? A reunion? She had no idea, but she couldn’t deny that it was becoming of her favorite things. However, she was too busy with work and Minky was also caught up with something, so they agreed on having lunch together the next day instead.

The small brunette was about to start her walk home, when two arms hugged her tightly, an annoyingly loud – yet very familiar– voice sounding close to her face. “Kang Yaebin!” Eunwoo greeted, giving her an overly energetic smile that could only belong to the blonde. Yaebin chuckled, shrugging the girl off, just to hug her properly right after. She hadn’t seen Jung in days, what for them wasn’t something very common.  “Jung Eunwoo!”

They both laughed, breaking the embrace so they could talk as they walked to the common direction that would lead to their neighborhood. “Where have you been? You haven’t even called me.” The slightly younger woman asked, glancing at the blonde that just shook her head.

“All of sudden I got this huge scoop and had to fly all the way to Jejudo! Can you believe it? I mean, it was nice and free, but I had barely time to breath running after leads before the other journalists get to it.” As usual Nunu explained while making over exaggerated hand gestures, explaining in detail how she had figured out about a scheme that was going on in the place and had to pull all nighters to get to the bottom of it before someone else did. Yaebin couldn’t help but smile fondly at her antics, knowing that the girl was most likely exaggerating everything to make the story more exciting. She hugged the girl by the shoulder, bringing her down to kiss her cheek affectionately. “Ew, what are you even doing Kang?!”

Yaebin smiled grew wider. “I missed you so much, Nunu!” And even though the blonde was making her best acting to pretend being annoyed about the sudden demonstration of affection, she knew Eunwoo felt the same way. After all, they had been through a lot together all these years and there was no one she was closer than Nunu. “Let’s have dinner together.”

Eunwoo smiled, giving up on pushing the girl away at the thought of food. “You are paying.”

The shorter brunette faked a sigh. “Only because we are going to that vegan restaurant at…”

“What? No! This doesn’t count as food!” As expected the refusal came soon and Yaebin laughed out loud.

“Then you are paying!” She replied in the same tone, still clinging to the girl’s arm as they walked. She missed their bickering, the ease going conversation that she could only share with her best friend. They kept arguing for a while, before setting down on a chicken stew place not so far from there. As they walked, an insistent smile was on Kang’s face, as she remembered their first meeting. She could never have imagined that a college project could bring such a good friend into her life.

 “Hey!...Hey you, look over here!” Yaebin heard someone whisper shout, right behind her. She turned around to face the girl who was still waving her hands frantically. Kang frowned, confused with the others actions. It was only their second week of classes, she was having a hard time memorizing all the new faces in her classes.

“Hi?” She tried, unsure of what to say.

“You don’t have a pair, do you? Come here, I’m alone too.” The girl called, her monolid eyes now curved in a smile just like her lips. Yaebin hadn’t even agreed on it yet, but she had a feeling it would be really hard to deny anything to the other girl, so she simply did as she was told – after all she would need to find a partner sooner or later, therefore was better to do it now and start the activities.

“Hm, hey. I’m Kang Yaebin, by the way.” The smaller woman introduced herself, switching seats so she could seat beside the girl. She took a good look at her partner, noticing how bright her dark eyes were, contrasting with her light brown hair and her red lipstick. The girl was tall, even sitting, it was possible to notice their height difference – what was rather funny considering how small her hands were when she offered it for a friendly handshake. “Jung Eunwoo, nice to meet you!” That girl was one of kind, Yaebin decided as she shook hands with Eunwoo.

Yaebin opened her book alongside her laptop, ready to begin the work, but even before she could suggest anything Eunwoo subtly elbowed her to whisper. “I have no idea what we are supposed to do, but the teacher is looking at us so pretend you are typing something smart!”

The younger girl had to purse her lips to refrain from laughing at Eunwoo’s urgent tone. She started to type the works title, feeling the taller girl’s gaze on her back. “Don’t be too impressed. I’ll let you do all the research since I’m already doing the first part of the assignment.”

Eunwoo opened to protest, but Yaebin cut her off. “Don’t worry, it’s easy. Take a look at my notes.” She said more gently, giving the girl a reassuring smile.

With a exaggerate sigh, Eunwoo nodded, return the smile. “Just give me a minute.”

Soon Jung also had her laptop open to search the things Yaebin would tell her.

Yaebin learned that Eunwoo wasn’t exactly the most attentive person in class, yet she was really quick to catch up on the subjects and had a special way with the words that made the Kang regret not having let her write first. Later that day, when Eunwoo dragged her out to have a completely unhealthy lunch at the cafeteria, she learned that Jung was majoring in journalism and although she was a total dork – who had the very terrible habit of talking while trying to gulp down her fries – , she was also an incredibly smart one.

They ended spending more time than it was necessary together, forgetting about the work to just talk about random stuff. Yaebin would hear Eunwoo’s overly exaggerate stories and laugh as she pointed out all the clumsy lies the girl included to make it more impactful. She also talked about her own major and how she was adapting to college and living in a dorm, the taller girl would listen to her with attention, giving out tips and telling her own struggles. They both were freshmen, however Jung seem to know every single corner of the campus already and excited to show it all to her new friend.

Eunwoo was her total opposite, and perhaps that was why they clicked so well.

 


 

The house was empty when Minkyung finally came back home after one of the most stressful work days of her life – her annoying boss was being investigated for some shady scheme and she had to spend the whole afternoon and part of the evening helping her superiors go through the woman’s archives. She would have laughed at the irony of such an austere woman that overworked her and the rest of the staff, was only making easy bucks by selling titles to a rival company instead of actually working. But she didn’t. Kim was too tired to express so much emotion, besides now she didn’t even know what they would make with her department at the company, she might even be lay off if they decided to close the department.

She let herself sink into the couch, not bothering to take off her coat or turning on the lights. She wished she could just close her eyes and sleep there for the whole weekend – unfortunately she couldn’t. Although the company had gave her the two days off, she had other things in her mind.

Her eyes went to the corridor that would lead to Kyungwon’s office. Her girlfriend was out, off to see her parents for the day and probably would only be back by tomorrow’s night – if she did as usual, it wouldn’t be so weird if Kang simply decided to spend more time away. Minkyung couldn’t blame her.

If the pressure of the situation was big on her, it was also heavy on the slightly younger woman. Kyungwon hearty laughter hadn’t filled the place in a long time, her grin was less and less frequent and Minky could see a constant worry in her pretty eyes. It all should’ve been enough to make her take action, to draw a clear line between her and Yaebin and find a way of making things right with Kyungwon again, like she deserved.

Yet, she didn’t.

In the beginning she told herself she was only following Kyungwon’s idea and trying to use it as a way to understand better the soulmate mechanisms and how she could defeat it – if it was even possible. But the more time passed and the more she got to know Yaebin, she could feel things slowly changing inside her. Things she never thought could change.

It wasn’t only about Yaebin, it was something deep inside her.

She couldn’t even recall when it happened, but now she was sure it had happen. Maybe it was when they started drifting apart and Kyungwon decided to close herself up to Minkyung, perhaps it was what allowed the first crack  on the shield around Kim’s heart to appear. A crack that grew into various others, slowly but surely weakening her defenses until she could barely feel it was there still. Now there was something else in its place.

The movie night had confirmed one of her biggest fears, something that she still wasn’t brave enough to admit out loud.

Being around Kyungwon wasn’t the same, as if the feeling wasn’t there anymore.

The magic, the sparkles and all those things that she never payed much attention until it was gone. Kyungwon’s skin was still soft and nice under her hands, yet holding her hand didn’t make her feel butterflies in her stomach. Kyungwon’s hugs were still comfortable and full of warmth, yet her pansy scent wasn’t able to calm her heart, it seem hard to notice now. Kyungwon’s lips were still gentle and loving, however her heart wouldn’t skip a beat at the feeling of them, its beats would stay steady and her breath normal, indifferent. And every time she would notice the disappointment hidden behind the girl’s fake smile as they would pretend to pay attention to the show as if nothing happened.

Minkyung hugged a cushion, so strong her hands hurt, scrapping the soft fabric that covered it. She knew she still loved her girlfriend, she couldn’t even imagine a world where she didn’t, however she was aware that her love had changed. Even before they dated, before soulmates were real concerns and they were still just kids, Kyungwon had always been special to her.

Or was she not? Had Minkyung put all her expectations on the girl and poured her love onto her because she was her best friend and the one person she knew would always be there for her? Was this the reason her love was crumbling so fast, overtaking for the stronger, rightful feeling brought by the mark?

It was hard to think that if Yaebin was there when they were young, she wouldn’t have noticed Kyungwon. She wouldn’t have loved her.

All the happy memories begged to differ.

 

Her eyes followed the girl as she walked into the classroom, she looked a bit frazzled by all the attention, but still had a smile on her face. Minkyung observed her with uncommon interest, curiosity prompting her to lean over her table to have a better view of the girl. Being the tallest kid in her class, to see another tall girl was quite an event. However, it wasn’t the reason why the other seem so interesting to her. There was a special something about the girl. Her slightly tanned skin and dark eyes, the way that she stand straight and refused to be intimidated by the audience, her grin that was playful, yet friendly. It all made Minkyung want to know her better, even if she herself was a bit on the shy side and usually would wait for people approach her and not the other way around.

“My name is Kang Kyungwon. I’m from Gwangju. I came here because my dad got a promotion and because I like drawing.” Her speech was fast, marked by the heavy accent of her hometown and by a confidence Minkyung could only wish she shared. Kyungwon’s eyes wandered through the room, as if she could memorize everyone’s face just by it – later Minky would know she was just embarrassed and looking for a place to sit, so she could get off of the spotlight –, her beautiful dark chocolate eyes stopping on Minkyung for just a little moment as they both stared at each. Minky’s young heart skipped a beat for the first time in her life, but the feeling didn’t scare her, it was quite the opposite.

“Please take good care of me.” Kyungwon grin grew wider as she bowed, breaking the visual contact. Minkyung forced herself to avert her eyes to her notebook and not followed the girl. Kang sat on the other side of the class, too far for Kim to look at her without being too obvious, and way too far to allow any contact between them.

Still, when the bell ring signalizing the end of class, she could swear she saw the newcomer stop by the door and stare directly at her direction with that same grin she was starting to associate with Kang Kyungwon.

It would take them two long, awkward weeks, to properly talk, but once they did, they never broke apart.

 

Not until now.

She buried her face into the cushion, her hot tears wetting the pillow as the sobs shook her.

Kyungwon deserved better than this and she knew she owe her the truth. She just didn’t know if she was ready to have Kyungwon out of her life.

 


 

It was late, but Kyungwon was still up, working on her laptop as Kongie slept beside her. Her conversation with her parents had been worse than expected, they seem more heartbroken than her, even to the point of asking her to come home for a while. It was hard to keep her composure and not breakdown. She still had somethings to do, crucial things that she couldn’t simply ignore.

Just a couple of months before she had everything figured out. She had plans for her work and personal life, she had Minkyung beside her and she was undeniably happy. Now she felt like she only had her work left. And even this was somewhat tainted.

She had just sent out the last panels to Sungyeon, thanks to Siyeon’s help they were able to finish it on time and made a good enough work to be published. However, there was a small detail that only her and Sungyeon knew about and she couldn’t postpone it any longer. Putting her laptop aside, careful to not disturb Kongie’s peaceful dreams, she reached out for her cellphone at the nightstand. Just a couple of touches on the screen later connect her with Sungyeon’s phone – the girl was always up, she doubt she would mind her late night call.

“Kang, hello. I just received the material, is there anything you want to change? We only have two days left.” Sungyeon’s voice sounded as nonchalant as ever, not even a hint of tiredness in it.

Unfortunately, the same couldn’t be said about Kyungwon’s. “Hey, Sungyeon. I’m sorry for calling so late.” Her voice was husky as she spoke. “And no, there’s not wrong with the chapter. I reviewed it with Siyeon yesterday and I did it again before sending it in.” Actually she had lost count of the times she reread every line, checked every drawing, verified if they had made no mistakes regarding the plot…Working was the one thing she still had control over and she was putting her all into it.

“Then why the sudden call?” Bae was always straight forward, but there was a hint of something else in her voice. Concern perhaps? The brown haired woman almost sighed. All she did lately was to worry everyone around her.

Feeling overly dry, she hesitate before speaking. Once she had done it, there was no turning back.

Kyungwon closed her eyes, remembering all the times she tried to look for love in Minkyung’s eyes and she could only find guilty and sorrow. She had seen the signals, every single one of them. She tried her best to ignore and pretend they weren’t there, but by doing it she only distance herself even more from her girl – it was even right to refer to her as such still? Her heart and body still responded all the same to Minkyung, but she knew that it was no longer truth for the brunette.

Their relationship was now only a waiting game. A silent competition for who would be the first to admit they have failed. She would be the losers either way.

“The story,” The one short story she had put so much effort and love into. The one thing she had planned for so long. “The one I asked you to insert at the ending of the physical volume…” It was her fault, she shouldn’t have been so full of herself to the point of doing such a bold thing. It was her lesson. She clenched her free hand into a fist, kneading the sheets under it, trying to drain the tension of her body into that single spot. “Just delete it. I sent something else, a comic strip to replace it.”

“Delete it?” Sungyeon’s voice was hollow. “After all this time? You just want me to delete it?” Now the older girl could hear disappointment in her tone.

She clenched her fist even more, her nails going deep into the fabric.

“Yes. Please do it for me.”

“Are you sure, Kyungwon? I can postpone the date.” For the first she heard something that was close to pleading on the younger woman’s voice, as if this decision was also important to her. Sungyeon might not know her reasons, but she knew what that drawing meant to Kyungwon.

“I’m sure. I’m sorry, Sungyeon, but just this once do it for me.” Her friend deserved a better explanation than this, Sungyeon had done so much for her and cheered her on in every step, even if only using her own grumpy way. However, she couldn’t bring herself to tell Bae what happened. At least not now.

A small sigh could be heard from the other side of the line. “Consider it done. I hope you don’t regret it.”

“Me too.” She muttered, saying a quick goodbye before finishing the call.

Just like that, her wedding proposal had gone down the drain. It was the beginning of their ending.

Back in Seoul, a goddess who knew about it all and couldn’t do anything about, lowered her head in defeat. She had done all she could and yet it wasn’t enough.

 



Saturday

 

Yaebin squinted her eyes, completely focused on the important task ahead. She could feel the pressure on her growing as she looked from one fluff ball of fur colored orange to the other one, a white one this time. How was she supposed to choose?

Minkyung beside her, had to lean in, resting her hands on her knees to take a look inside the cage. “They are cute.” She said with her soft tone, one slender finger adventuring itself inside the cage through the bars to touch the soft fur of the closest kitten. She smiled as she watch the small cat purr, and glanced over to see her soulmate doing the same to the other animal. Yaebin looked adorable with a small smile on her face as she caressed the kitten, she looked relaxed and tense all at once.

Minky let out a light chuckle, leaving the cat to touch the dark haired woman’s face affectionately, her fingers undoing the frown on her forehead. She was getting more used to touching and comforting Yaebin, she was glad their awkward phase was gone. “I know it’s hard to pick only one, but it’s been half an hour already.” Subtly she pointed the cat shelter worker that was at the door looking a bit impatient. “If you can’t pick one now, we can just go back another time after you have made your mind.”

The younger woman glanced over Kim’s shoulder, noticing the worker and made a face. She had no idea it’s been so long since they had come inside to look at the cats up for adoption, although her heavy heart from staring so much at the little creatures should’ve been a sign of it. Kang knew it would be like this once she got to see the animals, after all she had think long before deciding to come get a pet of her own. Still, thinking about it didn’t prepare her for the heart ache of having to choose.

She had taken the day off, although Saturday was quite a busy day at the store, to come to the shelter. It was a pleasant surprise when the brunette offered to go with her. Having Minkyung with her was a good thing, the brunette didn’t say much, allowing her to take her time and make her own choices, giving her silent support.

She straighten her back, reaching out to squeeze her hand gently, giving her an apologetic look. “I had lost track of time. Just give me a minute.” She said only loud enough for Minky to hear and receiving a smile and a nod in return.

The orange kitten had caught her attention right away, making her remember another orange fluff ball she had met so many years ago. Lulu, Kyulkyung’s cat, wasn’t just a small fragile baby, it was a big – and fat – grown cat. She smiled remembering the first time she saw him and deciding she should take the orange kitten with her.

 

Sitting at one of tables right outside of the school’s cafeteria, Yaebin jumped on her seat when a flustered Eunwoo sat by her side in a rush, not so subtly hiding behind Kang’s small frame.

“What in the world, Jung Nunu?!” Yaebin almost choked on her food, eyes darting to meet her friend’s gaze. They had known each other for a couple of months now, living at the same dorm on campus and having a bunch of classes in common was only normal to get close. Eunwoo’s bright and funny personality attracted the shorter girl right away and they bonded just fine usually, however, sometimes Nunu weird ways were a bit too much even for her best friend.

“Shiu! Just pretend you are eating your lunch like nothing happened, I’m trying to be low key right now.” If there was something Eunwoo wasn’t, it was ‘low key’, and in that moment it couldn’t be different. The girl had her face bright red, thanks to the little exercise she just made – there was nothing she hated more than being forced to move around, no surprise she was the epitome of sedentary now. The girl was holding something, barely hiding it under her hoodie Yaebin was pretty sure it couldn’t possibly be something good.

When the thing started mewing one minute later, just in time for Eunwoo’s signature sneeze, she changed her mind. It was definitely something good.

Yaebin covered , trying to hide a laugh. Eunwoo really had a talent to get herself into trouble.

“How did you even get him…Her? Do you even know what it is?” She asked as soon as she made sure no one was paying them attention. A small fluff being was peeking through Eunwoo’s collar, its cute orange head rubbing against the girl’s neck. The blonde hugged the cat a bit tighter, making sure it wouldn’t run away.

Luckily for them, the teachers weren’t very fond of the campus cafeteria.

“I don’t know! It’s just Lulu! Is Lulu a boy or girl name?” Eunwoo replied, whispering shouting as she frantically looked around. “She just left me with it and run away.”

“She?” Yaebin rose her brows, curiosity shinning in her dark eyes.

“The crazy cat girl!” Eunwoo muttered grimacing, although Yaebin could tell she wasn’t really mad at the girl – after all you don’t simply look after someone else’s pet if you hate them. Especially someone like Eunwoo.

“But you are allergic to cats.” She pointed out calmly, her food long forgotten as she focused all her attention on the weird, yet adorable, duo seated beside her – the cat under Eunwoo’s hoodie made sure to mew once more, not wanting to be ignored by the girls.

“I know!” Now the girl seemed clearly distressed – her ten minutes as a cat mom have been quite rough on her. “I told her, and you know what she told me?”

“What?” Yaebin leaned on her elbows, watching the slightly older girl with interest. However, Eunwoo didn’t get the chance of answering.

“I told her my soulmate should be able to look after Lulu, since we will be family and all.” A new, sweet and clear voice, said as its owner took a seat across the girls at the table. The girl, a foreigner exchange student who was in Yaebin’s sociology class, glanced at her own hand before continuing. “Thank you for looking after him, Eunwoo. The inspector is kind of keeping an eye on me now, you know, dorm rules and stuff…” The raven haired woman shrugged, the relaxed smile on her face didn’t wave not even slightly, showing her disregard for said rules. Kang didn’t know much about that girl – Kyulkyung was it her Korean name? – but all she could recall was that the classmate was an overly energetic, bright and easy going person considering how everyone seem to like her automatically.

She raised her eyebrows, looking from one girl to another. Yeah, these two being soulmates made perfect sense.

“Look here, Ju Kyulkyung, you can’t simply leave him with me whenever it pleases you!” Nunu returned with a huff, however she was still holding the cat with excessive care.

Lulu mewed, aware of his owner presence and the dark haired girl stood up to take him out of Eunwoo’s hoodie with surprisingly skilled movements – Yaebin wondered how often she hid the cat under people’s clothes.

“Don’t worry, I will give you a heads up before dropping him off at your place, okay?” Kyul hugged the cat affectionately, kissing his head before giving Jung her best smile – and it was surely effective.

Eunwoo blinked twice, a light shade of pink coloring her cheeks. “You better!”

“Oh! I should get going, I have to take him home before class. See you around, soulmate! And you too, soulmate’s friend!” She waved energetically, leaning in to kiss Eunwoo’s cheek loudly before leaving with quick steps.

The scene was too hilarious for Yaebin keep her composure and she couldn’t help but laugh at Nunu’s red face – the girl had her hand over her own cheek, her expression a mix of shock and glee.

“She sees me twice a week in class and I’m still only ‘soulmate’s friend’?” Yaebin shook her head, amused by the girl’s quirk personality.

“Is it normal for your soulmate to simply leave her cat with you on your first meeting?” Eunwoo asked, sneezing as she tried her best to get rid of the cat fur on her clothes.

“Honestly? It fits just right with what I would expect from your soulmate.” Everyone always dreams about their fated meeting with their soulmate, and Eunwoo’s couldn’t happen in a more unique and so fitting to her.

“Ei! What is this supposed to mean?” Jung finally let go of her cheek, nudging Yaebin’s arm lightly what just made the shorter laugh.

“I’m just happy for you. You deserve a nice and pretty girl like that.” It was true. Even if she couldn’t find her soulmate, she was glad her friend was able to do so.

“She is a weirdo though.” Nunu said, a smile gracing her face as she hugged Yaebin by the waist, resting her head on her shoulder. “You’ll have your turn soon, Yaebs. And I bet she won’t even be a crazy cat lady.”

“I hope so.” Yaebin rested her head on Nunu’s. “But until then we should get you some antihisminics, I have a feeling you will need a lot of it.”

 

“I’ll be taking the little orange one.” She said, this time louder enough for the shelter worker hear her. “…And the white one as well!” The young nodded in approval, approaching to check on the animals before proceeding with the paper work.

Minkyung gave her a warm smile. “Good thing I came then. I’ll help you take them home.” Yaebin smiled as well, containing her childish excitement at the idea of taking both adorable creatures home in the company of another equally adorable – but much bigger – creature. She hugged Minky briefly, letting out a small giggle. “I’ll need help to buy everything for them as well.”

Two kittens would probably be a lot of work, but Yaebin felt she was making the right decision. Kyul would have approved it.

 


 

It was the first time Minkyung was at Yaebin’s place, and she couldn’t help but feel a bit awkward seating there. At first they had been distract playing with the kittens, but Yaebin was trying to be a good ‘mom’ and went to put them to sleep in a bed in her room. Her eyes darted through the place, curious about the little details it could tell about its owner. It was no surprise how neat the young woman was, the place was decorated in cool colors and everything seem to have a proper place, making the room seem spacious but not giving the feeling of emptiness – she had good taste. While Minkyung herself had plenty of family pictures exposed, Kang wasn’t as obvious, only a family portrait by the phone table.

Yaebin must have noticed her gaze because she grabbed the frame and handed it to the Kim. “You can look. We don’t take as many pictures now, so you won’t have much to see anyway.” There was something off about the apparently nonchalant tone of her voice and Minky nodded ever so slightly, accepting the frame to take a better look at the picture.

There were only four people on it, all of them smiling happily at the camera. A younger version of Yaebin was hugging a man that shared some of her features making it rather obvious it was her dad, beside them a young boy, her little brother most likely, hugged a beautiful woman that was probably Yaebin’s mom. They seem like a good family, even by just looking at the picture she could tell that there was much love. She had never seen Yaebin smile this wide before.

Now that she stopped to think about it, she didn’t recall Yaebin ever mentioning her father before except for the one time she told Minkyung the reason why her mark was a little snowmen out of all things – she said it was because she had always been very susceptible to the cold, however she still loved making snowmen in the winter with her dad and it was a very dear memory to her. She had a very nostalgic look on her face that day, but she had changed topics before Kim could ask her about it.

Minkyung looked over to see the girl’s back, she was at the kitchen getting them some drinks. The raven haired woman was small, albeit she usually looked so mature and reliable that it was hard to sport her fragile side. Maybe because she was at her house now, intruding her personal space and her memories, she felt like Yaebin was more vulnerable than ever before. With a final look to the picture frame, she put it back in place and went in to help the girl out.

Kang flinched when she heard Minkyung’s soft steps approaching and her slender hands reaching out and take the tray out of her hands. “You don’t need to…”

“You are really into that health stuff, aren’t you?” The older disregarded her protests, proceeding to walk back to the living room with the drinks. “I noticed it before. Besides the coffee, you don’t eat or drink anything that isn’t appropriate.”

Yaebin blinked, taken aback by Minky’s surprisingly observing ways. She had no idea the other payed her that much attention. Eunwoo usually complained about her overly strict diet, however Kim didn’t seem judgmental about it, only curious.

“Hm, yeah. My mother was very strict about what we should or shouldn’t put in our body. She is also very big on physical activity and stuff.” She explained gesturing to the picture Minkyung had seen earlier, before pointing out the natural green juice that she had filled the cups with. “You don’t have to drink it if you don’t want. I can get you something else.” She had a bunch of junk food just in case Nunu decided to stop by, what fortunately hadn’t happen this week or she wouldn’t have anything left now.

Minkyung just shook her head in reply, taking a sip of the liquid with a thoughtful expression that seem a bit too serious for just be related to the drink. Yaebin took a place on the couch beside her and quietly started to drink as well.

“Your mom…She seems like an interesting person. But you don’t mention her often.” The brunette’s tone was careful, as if she was testing the waters before asking what she really wanted. The smaller girl nodded, trying to keep the tension out of her face. Family was a difficult topic for her, albeit she had shared some information with Minky already, to talk about her parents was something completely different.

“She is one of a kind.” It wasn’t Yaebin’s intention to sound dry and defensive, but it still sounded like it and she regretted as soon as the words left . She didn’t want misunderstands. Her mother might not be in her best state of mind and cause a lot of trouble, but she was still her mother and she loved her still. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude. My mother is just…She is all over the place most of the time. She has been like this ever since we lost dad, I was only a middle schooler by then.” She decided that being honest was the best option. Minkyung was her soulmate, she was supposed to be able to trust and rely on her.

“Oh! I’m so sorry, Yaebin. You don’t have to say anything, I can’t even imagine how it is…” Minkyung looked genuinely concerned now, brown eyes full of worry and even a bit of guilty for having mentioned the sensitive subject.

Yaebin gave her a small smile, to assure her that it was fine. Putting down the glass, she continued. “Mom always lived for the family. But she was less…Intense before, more normal I guess. She had her own things and always looked like the most beautiful woman around with her pretty clothes and accessories that she would craft herself…She used to insist on having family picnics and stuff every weekend, like we were living in some old fashioned TV show.” Her smile grew fond at the memories. It was amazing that even all the pain couldn’t erase the good moment they spent together, although they seem a bit bittersweet now.

“Dad passed away suddenly and it broke her heart…and our family too.” Yaebin grimaced, the smile disappearing as the nice memories gave place to unpleasant ones. “She couldn’t accept it and became overly protective of us, paranoid about everything and everyone…Grandma had to intervene and that’s why we moved in with her.”

“So, the reason you moved away was because…I’m so sorry, Yaebin!” Minkyung’s tone was weak, almost heartbroken. She thought she had a hard time waiting for her soulmate to show up back then, but the truth was that Yaebin went through much more than just being frustrated for nothing having a girlfriend…Her concerns seem small and futile in comparison.

“It was hard. Adapting to everything and just…You know, I couldn’t quite wrap my mind around it all and I was always going back and forth between trying to move on with my life and refuse to do it because I didn’t want to forget how things were before. I didn’t want to pretend dad not being there was fine.” She sighed, a small, yet sharp pain tucking her heart at the memories. They say it takes a while for one to reach the state of acceptance, for her it took some years, for her mother it never quite happened. “I used to wish you were beside me. It was childish, but I thought that having my soulmate around would automatically make things better.” She gave Minky a shaky smile that was almost apologetic for her own naivetés. “But then you didn’t come around and I started to think it was for the best since I didn’t want to end up like mom if I ever lost you.”

She expected an uncomfortable silence to take over, like it would always happen when you talk about something so personal. But instead she felt Minkyung’s soft, elegant hands taking hold of hers.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you. I can’t imagine how you felt, nor I can say that my presence would’ve fixed it all, but I’d have tried my best to make you feel better.” Her tone was filled with sincerity, without any hesitation as her gaze found its way to Yaebin’s face. “I’m sorry for making you wait so much.” The words came naturally, as if comforting the young Kang was only natural to her. She didn’t think much, or at all, she just wanted Yaebin to feel safe and happy, and her heart was beating loudly at her ears, telling her that she was the only one capable of making it happen. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Yaebin looked back at Minky, drowning on the beautiful pools of chestnut that were her eyes, adoring how gentle and kind, and ridiculously fond they were. Maybe it was only the soul mark acting, prompting the Kim to feel things she didn’t really fell, forcing a connection so strong that none of them could deny. However, she didn’t mind it, not now at least. She missed it, missed this kind of affection and love she never had the opportunity of experience. Minkyung could not be entirely hers, but she was still her soulmate and only for once, she wanted to allow herself to embrace it.

Letting go of her hands, Yaebin hugged her instead. Tight and warm, filled with Minkyung’s jasmine scent that seem to fill her lungs, mind and heart all at the same time. Her head resting against her shoulders, arms around the older girl’s torso like it was the place they were supposed to be. She was a clingy person by nature, although this tendency was hidden under the cynical views on love, she couldn’t really hide it any more.

It was their first real hug and it lasted way more than it should, full of a need both girls weren’t ready to admit to themselves just yet.

When they finally broke apart, with small, unsure smiles on their faces, they just stared at each other for a moment until finally were back to their original positions. Both could still feel the warmth of the contact, wishing it could last for a long time, but still fully aware that this embrace wouldn’t be their last one.

That night, when Minkyung waved Yaebin goodbye, the soul mark in her palm was brighter than ever – outshining the ring on her finger, the same ring Minkyung hadn’t touch all night. As the brunette walked away, the ring started to slowly slid down her finger.

 


 

“That’s why you are my favorite boss. You always pay in me in time and gives me food!” Siyeon had the biggest smile on her face, holding onto her chocolate bar like a creepy – at least to Kyungwon’s tired eyes, as she weakly pushed the girl aside, taking a sit on the couch as well.

“I’m literally your only boss.” Kang said, rolling her eyes at her friend’s antics.

She had just came back from her hometown, a two-hour long trip that seem much longer than usual. Heading home would be the normal thing to do, but she was feeling tired not only physically, but also mentally and she needed just a bit more of time to herself. Paying Siyeon a little visit was her way to prepare herself to face Minkyung – or, if she was more honest, wait a bit to see if she could go home only after her girlfriend was already asleep.

“Still is a good thing to be someone’s favorite.” The young raven shrugged, taking a bite on her chocolate and offering Kyungwon to do the same.

“I suppose it is.” Kyungwon said in a quiet voice, shaking her head slowly. She contained a sigh, telling herself to leave her own troubles aside for a moment. “How is graduation planning going?”

“Cut if off, unnie. You didn’t come here looking like a zombie just to act like my mom and ask about what I plan on doing in the future.” Park made a face, her dark eyes meeting Kyungwon’s as she stared attentively at the older woman. Siyeon might be young, but she was never naïve, nor oblivious, particularly regarding her friend. “I thought you were going to visit your parents for the weekend, why are you back here already?”

Kyungwon sighed. She should’ve visit someone else.

 “I did. But I had to come back to solve some…Stuff. I don’t think I can delay it anymore.” Unwilling she answered, receiving a curious and worried look in return.

“What kind of stuff? I thought you said the story would be on hiatus for a while…Is it about Minkyung unnie?”

The brunette ran her hands through her shoulder length hair, feeling more frustrated than anything else now. She knew talking to someone could help, but it wasn’t like anyone, not even herself, could fix things. She tried to shard to deal with things in the best way possible, still she couldn’t do much.

“You know how the lead character always has a girlfriend in the beginning of a movie and they eventually break up because, of course, the lead has to end up with the other main character? And no one really cares about the girlfriend because we already know it wouldn’t work out?” She said quickly, her words coming in a rush.

Siyeon looked from Kyungwon to the television where an old romantic movie was playing, before looking back at the girl. She raised her eyebrows, waiting for the elder to continue.

“Do you think it’s the girlfriend’s fault for trying to be with someone that wasn’t meant for her?”

The raven blinked, confused with the sudden turn of their conversation. “Okay, unnie. I have no idea of what you talking about!”

The taller woman just sighed, sinking further into the couch. Her non sense rant wasn’t taking them anywhere.

“What I mean is that it really bad when you find out too late you were never the main character of your own love story to begin with.” She took a sip of the soda Siyeon had given her earlier, putting it aside. “Minkyung has a soulmate. I don’t.” Her tone was dry, forcefully indifferent as she tried to distance herself from the problem – and failed.

“A-a soulmate?!” It took the younger girl a whole minute before she could break into curses as she finally understood what was going on. Kyungwon didn’t join her rant, albeit she didn’t seem bothered by the language. Siyeon was a simple person, she didn’t bottle up her fillings inside, she let them flow freely or else she would die with all this stuck in her chest. She could only envy her for this.

“But Minkyung unnie is with you! How can she do it to you after all these years, for fu…” Park said, a new line of curses coming out of as if she was the one going trough this whole ordeal. A bit too hot headed, but definitely a good friend.

“It’s not her fault.” Kang cut off, her voice heavy just like her chest filled with pain. Playing the blame game wouldn’t do her any good and the least thing she wanted was to turn her sadness into grudge against someone she loved so much – or used to, now using such word to describe her feelings for Minkyung didn’t sound quite right, almost like she didn’t have the right of doing so anymore. “I can’t even be mad at her for this. It’s killing me.”

Siyeon shut , refraining from cursing. She didn’t want to upset Kyungwon any more than she already was. It was just hard to keep it all. Minkyung wasn’t a bad person, this much she knew, however she also only met the girl because of her friend and she never was having a hard time imagining a scenario where these two weren’t together. When she met Kyungwon some years ago, they had bonded pretty fast and she was almost like the elder sister she never got – and if her sister was getting dumped by some girl she was more than ready to throw hands at the said girl. But she couldn’t. Therefore she only hugged the taller woman. “So I guess this is the reason why you didn’t want to work at your house. When did it happen?”

With a nod, Kang only hugged her back. Being so distraught all the time while keeping a good attitude wasn’t nice, and sometimes she wished she could just curse it out like Siyeon. Maybe after it all ended she would take a whole day to curse fate, love, the whole soulmates bullcrap and her own self for being such a weak fool.

“Over a month ago, she met a woman at a bookstore that is actually very close to out house... At first I tried to deal with it and be supportive, but as the time goes by I…Things are just getting worse.” She pulled back, breaking the hug to face her junior.  She knew she could count on Park for anything, they were close enough for her to be honest. Telling people about it was the hardest part, having to face them and see as their face changed into a mix of pity and hopelessness, telling her silently that they all already knew how it ends and she should accept it as well. Siyeon wasn’t a common person though, she still looked rather annoyed by it all and it was almost funny how ready she was to protect Kyungwon from the world. “I saw them together. There was nothing going on, but still I could…Feel. I felt like they had a connection, like they were in their own little bubble of whatever that is.” Love would have been the right word. That one thing that Minkyung didn’t seem to feel for her anymore, but would pour out from her eyes when she sees Yaebin.

Siyeon clenched her jaw, refraining from cursing again or saying something she would regret later. “That ing .” Okay, maybe she wasn’t the best of keeping her thoughts to herself. But at least she kept things real. “And what are you going to do about it? This is the reason why you came over, right?”

Then again the older girl nodded, taking a couple of deep breaths. “I’ll just do what I think is the right thing for all of us.” Her voice was quiet, lacking the confidence she wished was still there. “I’ll need your help. Are you free next week?”

Although the younger girl had no idea what she was about to agree on, she didn’t even bat an eye. “I’m always free. Just tell me what you have in mind!”

And so Kyungwon did. She told her everything and by the end of it Siyeon was grimacing. “Can’t say I agree on it completely, but I guess it’s your call.”

“It is. Thanks, Siyeonie.”

 


 

It was late, even late for her current standards. Therefore, she tiptoed, leaving her stuff on the studio and taking a moment to consider the idea of sleeping there, but her tired body demanded her to go and find her comfortable bed. The lights were off in the room, as expected, but she was still able to guide herself only with the dim light of the moon coming through the window. Grabbing some comfy clothes, she went to the bathroom for a quick shower that hopefully wouldn’t be able to interrupt Minkyung’s calm sleep – she had tried her best to not pay attention to the girl, but it was impossible to not notice the gentle fragrance of her hair in the air or the lump under the thick blanket on the bed.

Kyungwon changed into her clean clothes, turning off the bathroom lights before exiting and proceeding to approach her side of the bed, climbing carefully to not disturb her girlfriend. Before all the marks thing happened, she would have been careful simply because she didn’t want to wake Minkyung up knowing she needed her sleep after a long week of work, now, however, her excessive care was due the fear of waking up the girl just to face that horrible tension that always filled the air lately.

It wasn’t like her to stay out until so late, not even for work, she would always try to come home in time to see Minky and talk to her properly. Although it wasn’t like this anymore. It was cowardly of her to keep hiding and pretending to be busier than she really was just to avoid meeting the one person that meant so much for her – it was ironic, really, that her fear of losing Minkyung was keeping her away of the girl. Far from sight, far from the heart? A joke. Her heart ached all day, missing her so much and wishing. She was wanted to see, touch and keep Minky as close as possible.

Just for once, she wanted to lay beside her girl and pretend everything was fine.

Her eyes had adjusted to the darkness, allowing her to discern Kim’s beautiful features from the pile of fluff blankets she was wrapped on. Kyungwon mirrored her pose, laying her head on the pillow and watching as the slightly older girl slept peacefully. In the quietness of the room, with only their breaths filling the air, for once everything seem okay and she could allow herself to smile.

She reached out, hesitantly, to touch her girl’s face. However, she stopped midway as she noticed the smile on Minkyung’s face – a smile that she hadn’t seen in such long time. She retracted her hand, averting her gaze. Whatever Minky was dreaming off, was able to make her happier than Kyungwon seem to be lately. Now, every time she faced her girlfriend, she could only sorrow and a melancholy that was so unlike the Kim. She didn’t wanted to risk waking her up and having to face it now.

So she just lay in the bed, chest heavy with the weight of so many emotions and eyes burning with tears she would never allow herself to release. Her gaze fixed into the ceiling, noticing every little detail as if concentrating on the architecture of the house would allow her to distract herself from her inner conflicts – it didn’t. She could still hear Minkyung’s soft breaths, feel the warmth that came from her but seem to little to warm Kyungwon’s broken heart.

She would never be able to ignore Minkyung completely, block her out of her heart and mind. Nevertheless, she was destiny to be cut off her life soon and this was something they both would have to acknowledge eventually.

She raised her left hand, turning it slightly to allow her to see the clean palm where a mark was most likely never appearing. With her other hand, she traced the natural patterns of it, feeling the smooth skin that lacked the magic the rest of the world seem to possess. How pathetic of her, to have ever thought that her will and love would be enough to defeat fate.

 

Minkyung had her left hand raised against the sun light, her pretty eyes squinting due to the clarity. Kyungwon giggled, raising her own hand to allow them to compare their bare palms that seem so alike, both clear of any special marks. “What? Do you think that stare at it will magically gift you a mark?” She scoffed, reaching to grab the girl’s hand, bringing it down to her chest as she intertwined their fingers.

“I just wished we had ours as well. Not having is a bit...Unsettling.” The slightly older girl spoke, her tone carrying the kind of concern that a college student shouldn’t have. Kyungwon knew all too well her reasons, and if she was honest she had to admit it also bothered her, albeit, different of Minkyung, she would rather to not think about it at all and just be optimistic.

The brown haired girl smiled fondly, sliding a bit closer to the other woman, not minding that the grass underneath them was probably leaving a mark on her clothes. “I told you to not worry. I’m here, so you won’t end up as a cat lady.” The tease in her voice wasn’t the usual one, her tone was more warm and gentle, making it clear she was just trying to reassure.

Minkyung scrunched her nose, making a face and shoving her shoulder against the Kang’s, although she didn’t make any effort to break the hold the other still had on her hand. “I didn’t say I wanted a mark with your name on it.” The bold reply, delivered with a dazzling smirk only brought a light chuckle out of the younger girl.

Kyungwon didn’t believe her, not in the slightly. Not when Minky’s thumb was still caressing the back of her hand softly, not when her brown eyes were staring at her loving. Even if Minky was able to pretend a little better, she would still not believe it, because she knew the taller girl and she knew exactly how she felt. And she knew it was the same for the Kim, that’s why she leaned in to say mischievously. “Good thing, because you know how much I love to greet the freshmen and I have a good feeling about the new ones, so…”

Another shove, this time a little harder. “Shut it, Kang!”

Another chuckle, even louder this time, as Kyungwon pulled Minkyung closer so she could kiss her face. Kim grimaced, but didn’t try to free herself of Kyungwon’s hold. The brown haired student left small kisses on the tip of Minky’s nose, on her fluff cheeks and even on her forehead, prompting a smile into the girl’s face. “Don’t worry, no one will steal me away.” She reassured, returning the smile as she sealed her lips into Minkyung’s soft ones.

They weren’t dating, not officially at least, but she could already tell it would last. She was only fourteen when she met Minkyung, and only a couple of months older when she started to realize their friendship wasn’t ordinary, nor were her feelings. Kang couldn’t help but notice even the smallest things about her, even finding her annoying perfectionist ways and her clumsiness weirdly endearing. As they grow closer and older, she learned to appreciate deeper aspects of Minky’s personality, like her thoughtfulness and excessive care, her little insecurities and the moments where she would dodge herself behind Kyungwon and rely completely on her albeit she was always far better than the younger girl in pretty much everything. She learned how to look after the Kim, how to listen and care for her in the same way Minky did to her. Most of all, she learned how to love Minkyung with her whole heart.

Having to wait every anniversary, hoping that destiny put them together only to have her hopes shattered was painful. To not have a soul mark was nowhere near as painful as to know that she would never be Minkyung’s soulmate. Every new person they met, every new place they went, it was always hard to ignore the fear of meeting the right person when her heart was already filled by the wrong one. But as the time passed, and more people came and go from their lives, unable to affect their bond or to mark their souls, she started to grow hopeful that maybe they had a chance.

Now, she decided to take her destiny into her own hands.

They didn’t need a stupid mark to tell them what to do, just each other and what they felt.

Minky was already twenty one, she would turn the same age in just a couple of months. They had waited long enough, concealing their true feelings to stay faithful to someone they didn’t even knew if really existed, and nothing had happened. It was about time to let go of the soulmate illusion and live their lives as they really wanted.

Her smile became smaller, her dark eyes growing solemn. It wasn’t like her to be serious, especially around Minkyung with whom she felt so comfortable to be who she really was, however, exactly for this reason she didn’t need to hesitate before exposing her feelings. “I mean it. I’ll always love you the most, we may not have soulmate mark, but you are still inside my heart where it matters the most.” She said in a small voice that was only for Minky’s ears, leaving a gentle kiss on her forehead. “You are my one and only girl, just remember that.”

The brunette didn’t answer, not with words at least, she just looked at her with the most sweet, loving eyes, closing the small distance between them to kiss her passionately. Kyungwon kissed her back, hugging her tight, a smile plastered on her face once more. She could feel all the love and care, just like the sudden rush of excitation of being in love and to know it was mutual.

“Oh my god! Unnies!” Yewon’s voice, usually chirp and clear, was a bit too high, probably due to the shock of seeing them so close. The girls broke apart, Minkyung with a flustered smile, while Kyungwon shamelessly laugh at the two embarrassed Kims. They had a lot of explanations to give, but she would let Minky deal with it. She back hugged the girl, her heart swollen with love as she silently supported Minkyung.

Kyungwon was young and maybe a bit naive still, but of one thing she was sure, and this thing was that Minkyung was the one for her.

 

She figured out a little too late that it was only true for her.

Minkyung moved in her sleep, taking her away off her bittersweet memories. Kim scrunched her nose adorably, letting out an annoyed sigh as she reached to try and grab something – Kyungwon thought for a moment that she would scoot closer and cuddle beside her like she used to do, but the older girl simply flapped her arm for a moment, before the smile from before appeared again and she went quiet.

A shaky smile made its way to Kang’s face, making her cover to prevent a nervous laugh. Even the smallest things were enough to shake her, breaking through the strong mentality she thought she had. The brown haired woman stood up, heading back to the bathroom in the hopes she could find Minkyung’s sleeping pills. 

 



Sunday

 

When she had set up this little home office, it never occurred her that it would become her safe place in the house when she was avoiding Minkyung’s presence – probably because she never thought she would need one. Today she was getting ready to say goodbye to it as well. Kyungwon wondered if she had tried harder, if she had just forgot about her damn manhwa for once and stop hiding, if she didn’t try to play the noble idiot and simply clingy onto Minkyung…Think about it all wouldn’t change a thing. Regret her own actions was as foolish as making them, but she couldn’t help it.

Sitting down by her working table, she opened the notebook where she had started listing some things during her trip back home. Being objective and rational wasn’t her stuff, it was more like Minky. However, she needed to be like this in order to do what she had to. Carefully she listed everything she would need to get from the place, drawing little marking boxes beside each item that she was supposed to check as soon as she had packed the said item.  She also had another, a much smaller check list, for everything she had to do about her personal life. It was almost funny that she could only bring herself to be organized under such circumstances.

While Minkyung was all about work and keep herself grounded. Kyungwon always faced her job as a way to accomplish her dreams. It was never her intention to become crazy rich or famous, she just wanted to afford a comfortable life doing what she loved. Their small, cozy house, filled with good memories was one of her favorite places in the world, yet she had planned to move into a bigger one of their own, where they could bring Kongie to come live with them and start their own family. Working had then become a much serious matter as she saw in it the chance of saving money for their next step in life – and she did succeed, she had much more than she ever expected as the webtoon became more popular, the beautiful ring on the drawer was only the beginning. A beginning that soon turned into a premature ending.

She would need to make a third list to figure out what she was supposed to do after it all ended. Whatever way it did.

With a deep sigh, she stood up to start packing her work stuff and label everything. She would deal with the most painful, delicate, things later. Like deciding whether or not she would even bother taking that ring with her.

Kang made sure that everything was done as fast and fluid as possible, remembering how mad Kim would get when she finds the place a mess after one of Kyungwon’s creative drawing sessions. She even gathered some stuff she had left hanging around the other rooms of the house, making sure she didn’t touch anything that Minky might consider important or notice right away – it was dumb, she wasn’t supposed to care so much when she was about to end it. Yet here she was, too afraid to even step in their bedroom to check if she forgotten anything, too afraid being there would bring out more memories and make her go back on her decisions. So she didn’t go there, nor she looked at the pictures on the walls, not even the little ornaments Minkyung had got from a market once.

After having everything ready, taking only a quick break to eat some of her favorite ramen that tasted like cardboard for some reason, she gathered the courage to finally proceed with the second part of her duties for today. A small notebook, two paper sheets folded, the ring’s box, everything on the desk as she watched the items carefully. The first two things were easy – or not so much, but at least she knew what to do with them – however, the ring…She had to make a decision. Throw it away wasn’t an option, not a fair one at least. Therefore she only had to decide whether she would keep it with her or give it to Minkyung.

Gently she opened the box, giving the ring a final, detailed look. It was pretty, delicate and elegant – it was perfect for Minky. She wondered if her girlfriend had ever sneaked a peek at it when she wasn’t looking, it was possible since Kyungwon had never been the best at hiding anything from her. The brunette wished she had asked her about it, or even been bold enough to propose, like this she would at least have the memory of Kim’s reaction to the gift.

A weak, shaky smile appeared on her face as she slipped the ring right back into her backpack. She had made her decision.

Kyungwon silently prayed she could make it without showing how broke on the inside she was. She would have enough time to cry her pains, only not today.

It was time to continue with the plan.

 


 

Yaebin should’ve know it was bound to happen, sooner or later her mom would do something questionable again and demand her attention. It was a Sunday out of the days, and the store was only open for a couple of hours, still it was the most stressful day of the week for her. Although she didn’t expect it to be now. She had quite a tough morning at work, a migraine installed on her temples as she tried her best to set all the paper work her mom had sent her way last minute.

The young brunette tried to limit her mother's expenses, to keep her away of the business and distracted with only her shopping sprees that would always coast Yaebin a couple of hundred dollars. Nevertheless, the woman never listened to her. She would have her sudden burst, buying anything she thought could be ‘helpful’ at the thousands and would always leave it up to her daughter to deal with the aftermath. As for today, she had bought new furniture to the shop – more specifically bad quality furniture that was sold for a much higher price than it was really worth and Yaebin would have to press hard on the sellers and menace them with a legal action to get her money back. Like always, she had to keep tabs on her mother’s actions at all times and it was starting to get tiring.

The first years without her father weren’t easy, and even now they still felt the weight of his absence, therefore the dark haired woman would always try her best to be understanding regarding her mom’s feelings. Albeit it was becoming harder and harder. She was getting sick and tired of the way the elder would just go around doing whatever, ignoring her requests and leaving her to deal with all the trouble. It was a test of her patient and love to not snap at her mom and call her out for her irresponsibility. It wasn’t for the chances of an emergency happening, she would have cut off all her credit cards by now.

The small Kang felt her energy disappearing by the end of the morning, having finished yet another call with the credit card operator, making sure she wouldn’t have to face any unpleasant surprises. She decided to call it a day, trying to think about her kittens back at home and how happy they would be for seeing her again – the thought was comforting enough to bring her a little bit of peace for a second. It didn’t last long though.

Her jacket was just over her right arm when the telephone ringed, insistently. She grimaced, fixing her clothes before picking up the call, ready to deal with another scammer her mom had met somewhere shady. “Hello?”

The voice that answered on the other side of the line was very formal and dry, almost robotic like. “Kang Yaebin? Are you a family member of Hong Gwang Min? She is at the Central Hospital and we found this number on her contact list.”

Yaebin pressed the phone against her ear a bit harder, feeling a sudden influx of tension running through her body. A hospital? Her mother was healthy, her obsession to keep a good life style  should guarantee her this much, right? But still there were many other things that could lead her to a hospital and none of them seem good. “Yes, I’m. Is she fine? What happened?”

“She was involved in a car accident, but she is stable now. You need to come and fill up the paper work for more information.” The woman also gave her an address, what wasn’t really necessary since she knew where the hospital was located already.

She finished the call in a hurry. She had no idea what “stable” really meant, although it sounded like a good thing, the nurses dead tone wasn’t giving her any hints and she wouldn’t be able to rest until she saw her mother for herself. Getting her bag, she was ready to dash out of office when Minkyung’s head pop out on the door, giving her a worried look. “Yaebin? Yooa told you me you were over here…Is everything okay?”

She didn’t even hesitate and hugged the woman, her heart clenching in her chest at the sight of the girl. Having Minky around would never fail to bring her some comfort. “I’m not sure. Can you come with me? Please?”

The taller brunette hugged her tight, as if she could feel Kang’s distress and perhaps she really could. Their bond was getting stronger and they were learning to rely on each other, so much that it only seem natural to the Kim to nod positively. “Of course. Where are we going? I’ll get us a cab.”

Yaebin still felt a bit out of it, but keep a tight grip on Minkyung’s hand she was able to tell her the address and give a quick explanation of the situation. As expected, the older girl didn’t waste time asking foolish questions and just did as she promised, and in no time they were heading to the hospital.

“It will fine, I’m sure. They wouldn’t have said she is stable if there was any risks.” At least Minkyung hoped so as she tried to comfort her soulmate. Yaebin was always so calm and collect, always in control of everything, that it was rather heartbreaking to see her so distressed about something. Minky hugged her by the shoulders, her eyes never leaving the girl’s face as she tried to reassure her while silently praying that her words wouldn’t just turn out to be gentle lies. “We will be there soon.”

Pressing her hands tight together, holding the cellphone she had used to try and reach her mom earlier just to not get any answers, Yaebin kept her gaze fixed on them, unable to return Minky’s embrace as she felt the nervousness taking over her. The closer they got to the hospital, the more unsettling memories insisted on tempering her mind, making it almost impossible to keep her cool. She hadn’t been with her dad when it happened, she didn’t even got the chance of seen him at the hospital, only at the funeral home. She was afraid of going there just to figure out she would have to take her mother to a similar place.

However, for some weird reason, the one memory that kept haunting her didn’t have anything to do with her dad. It was the one other big and painful event in her life.

 

It was a lazy Sunday at the dorms. Yaebin was going through the TV channels, hoping she would find something that wouldn’t make her sleepy. Eunwoo, on the other hand, had given up already, laying her head on Kang’s legs and barely keeping her eyes open.
“I hate waking up early.” She muttering, hugging Yaebin’s knees to try to find a more comfortable position.

Leaving the remote aside for a moment, the dark haired girl pushed her friend playfully. “Get off.” Of course Nunu didn’t, it would take much more to make her move. “You had to wake up anyway, or would you rather to not have driven Kyul to the airport? You nearly flooded the place, if you did it here we would’ve to buy new furniture.” She gesture the couch they were currently laying on and the other objects in the room, receiving only a snort as a reply.

Nunu was a bit grumpy in the moment, what was her way to hide her cry baby face. School break was around the corner and soon they would be off to visit their own families, however Kyulkyung had travelled a bit earlier to her home country and Eunwoo was handling it as expected – badly. The girl had met just a couple of months ago, but being soulmates it was no surprise they had grown so attached even in this small time frame. Jung being the soft hearted girl she was, to stay away of her soulmate was pretty hard. Therefore Yaebin decided to cut her some slack and gave up on expelling the girl from her lap.

“Do want grab something to eat?” She asked instead, combing her fingers through Nunu’s soft light hair – she wouldn’t usually, the girl would fall asleep pretty soon if she did this, but food was Jung’s weak spot and not even sleep got anything on it.

“Can we please get pizza this time? I’ve coupons and…”

“I also have coupons for a better place. We can’t always order pizza!”

Normally this conversation would’ve gone for at least ten minutes until they found a middle ground and decided on what ordering. Unfortunately, that day wasn’t a normal one.

“Emergency report!” The news anchor on the TV interrupted them, the woman had a sober tone to her voice and there were various bubbles of information popping on the screen as she spoke. The red label on the bottom of the screen had written in big letter ‘PLANE TO CHINA CRASHES INTO THE OCEAN!’. Yaebin felt a sudden numbing sensation to her fingers as Eunwoo shoot up, her small eyes growing larger as she watched with attention. “Sources say a commercial airplane leaving Seoul and heading to Hong Kong has crashed and is still missing! The company hasn’t given an official statement yet, however the chances are that the plan had a malfunction and fell on the ocean. We’ll be informing as new information is…”

For a moment, both girls just stared at the screen, having a hard time comprehending what the news really meant. They had left Kyulkyung at the airport just a couple of hours before, it couldn’t possibly be her flight, could it? That weird feeling in her hands was slowly spreading through her body, a numbing sensation that made it hard to discern reality from a bad nightmare. Clumsily, she fished her phone out of her pocket to try and check Kyul’s flight number.

Eunwoo was still in front of the TV, her breath becoming harder by the second as she felt her heart thumbing in her ears. “It…It can’t be…Kyul…This can’t be!” She held on her own left hand, finding comforting on the mark that was still there – it would become faint with time, but she couldn’t possibly know that yet. She turned off the television, as if not watching the news could protect her from the reality of what was happening.

“Airplane crashes are so ing rare! What are the chances of her being there? None! She is not! I’m sure, she will call me soon to say she arrived safely like she always does!” She said to no one in specific, it was more of a rant to herself. Following Yaebin’s example she got her phone and made the call, receiving only an electronic response as a reply. A nervous, hysterical laugh left her lips. “See? It’s in airplane mode! She can’t pick up, I told you!” Now she was shouting at Yaebin, her victorious tone being menaced by the sudden tears that were starting to fall out of her eyes before she could do anything to prevent it.

Kang shut her eyes close, biting down on her bottom lip to prevent her own tears of falling off. She didn’t even need to check the number of the flight, Kyul’s flight was the one leaving Seoul to China the whole day. They had seen the girl off, waved at her as she walked toward the plane and seen her boarding through the glass windows. There was no way to deny it. Swallowing hard her own tears, she dropped the phone to cover the small distance separating her from Eunwoo and engulfing her in a tight hug. “I’m so, so sorry, Eunwoo.”

“What are you saying? She is not dead! Stop it, Yaebin, she is not!” Eunwoo tried to break the embrace, but Kang’s arm remained firm around her as she tried to comfort the girl in the best way she could. Nunu’s efforts died down soon, her words slowly becoming just unintelligible rumblings, her face buried on Yaebin’s shoulder and her hands holding the hem of her sweater weakly. She felt like life was leaving her just like Kyulkyung just did, leaving nothing but empty space in the place where her heart used to be. “Why, Yaebin? Why? S-She is…She was so happy here. We were.”

“I don’t know, Eunwoo. I really don’t.” At this point she couldn’t contain her emotions anymore, so she just sobbed, hugging the girl harder. There was nothing she could do or say that would help right now. She was close to Kyul, she had become one of her best friends in a matter of months, but it could never compare to the pain of losing someone with whom you had such a deep connection like a soulmate. She had seen how much it had affect her own mother, all she could do now was to pray that Eunwoo would be able to handle the pain better. Yaebin would be by her side as long as necessary to make sure she could go through it in the best way possible.

Soon after they would receive a call all the way from China, confirming the bad news they already knew and both girls would only get the chance of saying their goodbyes to the ocean that had taken Kyulkyung away for good.

 

Today was also a Sunday and this simple fact was enough to make her stomach knead into uncomfortable knots of anxiety. Not even Minkyung’s large and warm hands taking a hold of hers were enough to easy the uneasiness that was dominating her body. The twenty minutes they spent on the car were enough to make her sick to they point that she felt the world spinning around her as soon as she stepped outside the vehicle – luckily Kim was there to support her, gentle hands taking hers to help her walk towards the entrance.

 In some ways it was the closest she ever felt to the girl, as if sharing her pain was somehow bringing them close together – she would rather not have to go through such a thing for it to happen.

When they reached the reception, Minky took the front asking for information and helping Yaebin to fill in all the paper work that the hospital seem to find to necessary to allow them in. If the younger woman was already nervous before, now she was feelings her nerves eating her out and it was hard to not snap at the nurse for not allowing her to see her mother right away. Once more, Kim’s presence helped to keep her emotions under control, acting as a mediator and finally getting the room’s number.

White walls, cold floor, a heavy smell of detergent and medicine…The corridor that lead to the ward where her mother was at, only made her fell her stomach even more upset than earlier. She was afraid she would throw up if she got to the room just to see her mother dead. Minky probably could tell it by her expression, since her grip on her hand grew a bit tighter as they headed to the room at a jogging pace.

Her hands were shaking, but still she didn’t hesitate in throwing the door open to see the interior od the room for herself, her eyes frantically looking for a familiar figure. She found it easily. There were four beds in there, three with the curtains closed up, while the nearest one had it open. Her mom was in the latter.

The elder was sitting on the bed with a magazine in her hands, she was wearing her coat over the hospital’s blue garment, a small  bruise on her forehead was the only thing unusual. She looked rather bored, but fine. Completely fine.

“Yaebin? Oh, sweetie, I didn’t want them to bother you! But they said I needed someone to pick me up and I had to wait until they could find you.” Gwang Min greeted with a calm smile that grew into a grin when she noticed Minkyung. “Oh! Is it her? She is just like what Yooa said!”

Usually she would have nagged her mom for being so nosy and worrying her for no reason, but right now she was having a hard time keeping herself on her jelly like legs. She leaned against the wall, breathing heavy with so much relief that she felt like someone had punched the oxygen back into her lungs. Her mother was okay, she was alive and well. “Thanks gods.” Muttering to herself, Yaebin brought a hand to her chest, trying to calm the beats of her heart.

“Yaebin, are you fine?” Minkyung’s voice sounded close to her face, soft hands coming to meet her jaw and cup her face in them gently. “It’s fine, Yaebin. Everything is okay now. Just breathe.” Her tone was so calm that it was able to calm the shorter woman a bit more, although it still took her several long and deep breaths until she was able to open her eyes and face Minky’s brown orbs that smiled at her with fondness. “Are you okay now?” Yaebin nodded, slightly embarrassed for making such a scene when nothing had really happened. “Good. Now come on, I guess your mom is waiting for you to introduce us officially.”

“She surely is.” Kang tried to glare at her mom, but she wasn’t able to pretend for too long and just end up running to the woman to hug her tightly. “Mom! I’m so glad you are okay. What happened? Why didn’t you call me? I thought…I…” That stubborn knot on was there once again, making it hard to speak without evolving into a crying mess.

Gwang Min hugged her back, cuddling her daughter and patting her back. “I just went a bit too fast when I was taking the car out of the parking slot…You know I’m not really great with parking and then the airbag popped out and this awful thing happened.” She broke the hug to point out the bruise on her right temple. “At least it didn’t hit my nose!”

Yaebin could only sigh in reply. Her mother being a clumsy mess wasn’t anything new, she was always a bit too distracted even before her husband passed away. Her daughter just never thought that it could land her a visit to a hospital. She hugged the middle aged woman again, thanking every divinity for her good luck. Eventually they separate and Yaebin was ready to start a whole quiz to make sure everything was indeed okay when her mother not so subtly pointed out Minky who had taken a seat by the bed, patiently waiting for the mother-daughter moment to end.

This time Yaebin sighed for a much different reason. She knew what was about to come.

“Mom, this is my…Friend, Kim Minkyung. Minkyung, this is my mother.” She introduced the women, letting them exchange greetings but it went as well as she expected.

“Your soulmate! Look at her, so pretty and tall! I knew Yaebin waiting for so long would be worth it, you are a catch. What do you work on? Wait, you are older, right? Yaebin, you should’ve called her unnie!” Her mom overly excited tone matched perfectly her avid expression. The young Kang used to think her mother would rather for her to not find a soulmate, letting her fear of the future govern even this part of her life – but she was so wrong, she had been projecting her own fears into Gwang Min. The answer was rather simple: She just wanted her kid to be happy, and for someone who had find a perfect partner in her own soulmate, it was only fair she wished the same for her daughter.

If Minky was annoyed by the questions, she didn’t let it show and Yaebin just watched as the duo talked effortlessly. The woman never mentioned the fact that she and Yaebin weren’t indeed together, nor the fact that she already had someone in her life, keeping her answers as light and funny as possible. The raven wasn’t sure how much of this conversation was only because Kim wanted to make things easy for her and keep her happy, and how much she really enjoyed her mother’s company, nevertheless she was grateful for the brunette’s kindness.

After checking with the doctor, running a bunch of teste and confirming that there was nothing wrong with her mother and she could take her home, they headed to restaurant nearby for dinner. After the meal Gwang Min insisted on staying at her own apartment, the woman promised she would call if she needed anything and Yaebin would come over tomorrow morning. The younger women decided on make the walk to Yaebin’s house by foot, glad for some clean air – as clean as the air of Seoul gets – after so much time at the hospital.

“Thanks for today. I shouldn’t have dragged you into my family problems, but you just showed up and...” Yaebin shrugged, giving the older girl an apologetic smile. Minkyung was supposed to stop by for lunch, and now she had dragged her to a hospital ward for hours straight listening to her mom’s weird questions. “But you said you wanted to know more about my family. I guess now you do.”

Minky chuckle lightly, glancing at the shorter woman as they walked. “I told you I’d be here for whatever you needed, didn’t I? I’m glad you trust me enough to allow me into your life like this.” Meeting Yaebin’s mom gave her a different perspective of how things worked on the raven’s life, made it a bit easier to understand why she act the way she did. It was a bit awkward at times and she had to keep any complicated thoughts in the back of her mind, but still she managed to enjoy the experience. Yaebin’s mom wasn’t a bad person, she was just a little lost and it was obvious how much the girl loved her.

Actually, when she stepped into the room and saw how distraught her soulmate was, she had felt something twitch in her chest, demanding her to act and protect the younger woman. Kim tried her best to keep her composure on the way to the hospital, albeit she was almost as much nervous as Yaebin when they arrived at the room and had to face the possibility of something really bad have happened – she could have laughed of happiness when the best case scenario happened. Indeed, she felt good and glad she was there to support the raven and care for her, knowing she was the one person she could rely on had bring a warm feeling to her chest almost as good as the relief of the tragedy averted. Minkyung could never had said no to Yaebin in a moment like that, she would have done it all over if she had the choice to do so.

“I liked your mother. You don’t resemble her that much, but after awhile I could see that you are similar in some ways and you both share a strong bond.” She commented with a small smile, remembering the way the two women had hugged when they first saw each. There was nothing but raw emotion there, pure family love in the most beautiful form. She might not be able to share Yaebin’s pain in the case something had happened, but she was glad she didn’t have to. Her friend’s life hadn’t been easy and she deserved all the happiness she could get.

“And she liked you, too. A bit too much.” Yaebin slowed down her steps, her gaze becoming more serious and harder to read. Minkyung knew her enough to know the expression her face would have whenever she got caught on her own head, just like now.

“Too much?” Her tone was still light, but more hesitant now. Careful.

“I didn’t want her to meet you. She doesn’t understand what is happening…I don’t even know if I do.” She pressed her lips tightly together, pondering her words. The last thing she wanted to do was start a fight, specially today when Minky had helped her so much…But it was exactly the problem. The longer she kept Kim around, the harder it would be to lose her and she couldn’t take this chance. “You keep saying you will be always be here for me, but will you really?”

Minkyung blinked, averting her look back to the street. The change in subjects was making her uneasy, heading to a conversation she didn’t know if she was ready to have. It wasn’t like she hadn’t thought about it, she had a little too much even. However, it didn’t mean she had come up with a magical solution. “Yaebin, I don’t know about the future, but I’ll try my best to be here for you. We also share a bond, somehow.”

“Yes, we do.” Kang stole a glance at her soul mark, closing her hand into a fist. “But what does it even mean to us?” Completely ignoring their initial plan, she stopped walking. Somehow they had ended up at a staircase with a beautiful view of the city, yet she couldn’t pay it any attention in the moment. “I let you into my life because I was curious about what would happen, because I…I thought that I deserved the chance of at least meeting you after so long, but…” She took a deep breath. This kind of conversation would always torment her, every day after she said her goodbyes to Minkyung and she would immediately miss her presence, every time she would mention the other woman in her life and try to brush it off, every time she walked into the store with a smile and seem to fit right into her life…The kind of tempting thoughts and dreams that were so natural she couldn’t ignore any longer. “I don’t know if I can be happy with just this. If this is enough for me. I know you for only a couple of weeks, yet it doesn’t feel like it. It feels…Right and good. Is it only me?”

Minkyung forced herself to not move, to not wince or step back. Running away hadn’t solve any of her problems, to do it now wouldn’t either. Still, stare at Yaebin’s pretty and sharp eyes was a hard task, it made her feel vulnerable as if the other could see right through her. “You know is not that simple for me.” She said, her voice too quiet under the city’s sounds. All that Yaebin said made sense and she would be lying if she said she couldn’t feel the same happening to her. It’s been a while since it didn’t matter anymore whether her liking for the younger woman was only a trick of the soul mark or a legit feeling, it was growing strong inside her and there was no way she could avoid it. The time they spent together only brought them closer, creating a bond so strong in such a small time frame – the same time that seem able to corrupt her original relationship. She swallowed hard, feeling went dry. “I want you in my life, Yaebin. You are an amazing person, and be it as a friend or a soulmate I don’t want to lose you.”

“But you don’t see me just as a friend, do you?” Yaebin stepped closer, taking the advantage of the steps that allowed them to be on the same level. She stared deeply into Minkyung’s chocolate orbs, seeing the waves of emotions exposed on it. Their breaths forming small clouds of vapor due to the cool night breezy, sending a small, pleasant shiver through her spine. They were never so close, she never allowed herself to try anything that could hurt Minkyung’s feeling or her relationship. All they had were a feel stolen, innocent touches and the hugs that only happened when Minky was trying to comfort her. Suddenly she wanted the freedom to touch her soulmate, the liberty to feel how smooth her hands would be against hers or how sweet her lips could be if they kissed. “You are my soulmate and it is supposed to mean so much, but your feelings are what really matter in the end. So just be honest, not only with me or with your girlfriend, but with yourself first.”

They all knew it would eventually happen, that a decision would have to be made for everyone’s sake. If she wanted to protect herself and the others, it was better to do it now. She stepped down, giving her space. “I don’t want to pressure you but... Don't I deserve an answer? I can't be happy with crumbs forever.”

Minkyung opened to argue, but soon after closed it. She didn’t know what to say. Yaebin had become an important part of her life in such a shot amount of time, yet she wasn’t the only person in her life.

“Yaebin.” Minky held the sleeve of her coat, preventing her from running away. It was her turn to step down, their height difference was still there but she had leaned in only enough to allow their faces to be close together. “You are right. We are not friends, but we’re not lovers either. I should’ve known better from the beginning, but I was stubborn and afraid and…” She closed her eyes, taking a deep, shaky breath. “Don’t you think I also feel my heart skipping a beat when I get too close to you or that I don’t feel that warm feeling whenever I see you? The problem is that I used to feel that for Kyungwon. Before…Before it all, and even now, I know she still feels the same way. And I wonder if I still do, too.” She released the girl from her grip, hugging herself instead. The mark on her palm seem to burn, but she kept her hand tightly closed as if like this she could ignore its existence. “I wonder every day what is wrong with me. If it is just the mark acting or is me…If I changed because I met you…How am I supposed to know it’s genuine?”

The question seem to be blown away by the cold wind, leaving only the even colder silent in its place. Yaebin didn’t have an answer to give her. Therefore she did what her heart demanded, leaning in to leave a chaste, loving kiss on Minkyung’s lips. Maybe the mark were commanding her actions, but she was too weak to no crumble under its power and embrace the love it could bring to her life. Minky’s lips were as soft and sweet as she thought, she couldn’t anticipate the fluttering feeling on her mind or the uneven beats of her heart that it would bring. It was only a peck, something so small and meaningless shouldn’t make her feel so much, shouldn’t make her want to pull Minkyung closer and kiss her until her fragile heart couldn’t take so much love and made her explode confessing all her feelings.

But she couldn’t, she was already overstepping the boundaries and Minkyung quickly had pulled back her beautiful eyes filled with unreleased tears. “Stop it.” She put her hands on Yaebin’s delicate shoulder, keeping her away. The same feelings were crushing her right now, just like the guilt that just wouldn’t leave her alone. She wasn’t that kind of person, she wouldn’t do it to Kyungwon. “She told me to come and talk to you, she wanted  to give me a chance of being happy…But how is it fair to her when she will be only one unhappy?” She let go of Yaebin to whip away the hot tears that marked her face. “I’m sorry. I have to go.”

And in the end she ran away, again, letting a confused and heart wenching Kang behind just to go and meet another one at her house.

 



Monday

 

When Minkyung woke up that day, she found Kyungwon’s side of the bed empty and was greeted the sound of the front door being shut, followed by Kyungwon’s familiar steps. She blinked, trying to get rid of the sleepiness. She had come home late last night only to find Kyungwon locked in her office, busy with whatever it was. She wanted to knock and tell her about everything that had happened, about her feelings and apologize for have break so many promises – but she didn’t, she couldn’t. Admit it all would mean she had to lose Kyungwon and although she knew it was selfish of hers, she wished they had only a little longer together.  Just one more day.

She had just finished washing up when Kang entered the room, giving her a warm smile that in other times would have make her heart skip a beat, but could only get a weak unenthusiastic imitation in return now. Unconsciously, she took a hand to cover the left side of her chest, as if she could hide from her girlfriend her disloyal heart.

The smile on the slightly younger girl didn’t wave. “Get ready fast. I’m walking you to work, but I want to have breakfast before going.” She informed in a light tone that Minkyung hadn’t thought she could possibly hear anymore coming from her. Kyungwon stopped by the door, giving her one final appreciative smile. “You look gorgeous in the morning. It’s my favorite view!” She winked mischievously before going away.

Minky’s hand clenched against her chest, a warm sensation invading her thanks to Kyungwon’s little compliment. Her heart may be betraying her, but it wasn’t completely insensible.

Kyungwon had everything ready, all their favorite food and more than this, she seem so happy and excited that Kim couldn’t help but wonder why the sudden change of attitude. However, she didn’t question it, instead she just enjoyed the moment.

The brown haired woman told her about the webtoon and all she, Siyeon and Sungyeon had planned for it for the next year or so, and Minkyung though she was the one who looked so good with that proud and confident look on her face. She also asked Minky about her work, for what the older girl answered shyly that things were a bit complicated after her boss left but she thought it would be okay.

“You should focus on your books! Sungyeon could help, you know? Just do what really makes you happy, love.” Kyungwon said, taking her hand to leave a sweet kiss on the back of it. Her grin was enough to make the Kim smile as well and nod. “Did I told you I saw Kongie? He looks so cute with the new clothes and…” Kang easily switched topics, it was like she had endless things to say and Minkyung was more than happy to hear it.

Part of her knew there was something off, that things couldn’t possibly change so fast and she couldn’t simply ignore her own feelings and everything that had happened last night just because they were having a good day. Yet, she decide to ignore her rational part and drown into Kyungwon’s dark chocolate eyes that seem so passionate talking about the most mundane things. Be it romantic love or not, that girl was still deep in her heart and she wanted to be around her in this little moment of happiness.

As soon as she finished her food, Kyungwon prompt her to get ready to leave. “Let’s go. I don’t want your new boss complaining you are late.”

They left with plenty of time, a first for them. Whenever the slightly shorter girl walked Minky to work they would always be in a rush, thanks to the fact that usually it happened in the days after a long night where they were up until late, and Kyungwon would try to make it up to her girlfriend by running with her to try to get to the subway in time. It was not the case now.

Minkyung felt her girlfriend’s warm hand on hers all the way, the grip was tight, but gentle. Kyungwon would give her small, fond smiles whenever their eyes met, keeping their pace in perfect sync to point out the little things on the way, making the way to work a lot more pleasant than usual. Even when they got to the subway station and got into the car crowded, the younger girl didn’t let go of the her hand, standing in front of her the whole time.

“Smile.” She mouthed, using a hand to fix Minkyung’s bangs. Kyungwon’s slender fingers proceed to touch the tip of her nose lightly, bringing a smile to the brunette’s face. Kang’s grin grew even wider, reaching her eyes that crinkled in the corners, forming a loving eye smile. She didn’t say anything, only touching Minky’s face gently once in a while.

Kim had to bit down on her bottom lip, refraining from saying something she would regret. Kyungwon was acting just like when they first started dating and she felt the need of reassuring Minkyung of how much she loved and cared for her and that it was all that matter. It seem so long ago and so much had changed. The fact that Kyungwon still remembered and was willing to do it again was at the same time amazing and heart breaking because they had passed the point of no return and she couldn’t ignore it any longer. She wished she could still feel the same as before, that her heart fluttered just by looking at Kyungwon’s loving eyes and she could simply hug her and feel like time had stopped just for them.

When her feelings had changed so much? How much of it was really the mark’s fault and how much was only her? It was impossible to tell. Either way, it wasn’t fair to the caring and loving woman in front of her.

Ignoring all etiquette, she reached out, pulling the girl into a tight embrace. “Kyungwon…”

“Don’t.” Kang cut off, pushing her back gently, her signature grin still on her face, even though it didn’t reach her eyes anymore. “I want to take you to work. Not a panda version of you.”  The teasing wasn’t enough to make Minky smile, but she forced herself to nod in agreement. Kyungwon didn’t deserve another scene like this, she deserve to have the perfect morning she planned and she would have it.

They reached their stop sooner than expected and were greeted by a sunny day as soon as they left the subway. Kim’s workplace was only a couple of hundred meters from there, meaning they would reach the place in a matter of minutes.

The brunette intertwined their fingers, leaving a kiss on the back of Kyungwon’s hand just like she had done earlier. Strong and reliable, warm hands, with small calluses gained from her long hours drawing, the same hands that had always been there for her and still were. She might have changed, but Kyungwon was still the same.

Kim followed her quick steps, taking a moment to take in every little detail of her girlfriend, capturing it for eternity on her memory. Kang’s shoulder length brown haired was getting a little too long, the bangs hovering over her beautiful dark eyes, shifting the attention to her high cheek bones and chiseled nose, the strong jaw more visible than usual. Kyungwon was beautiful, truly, inside and out.

She deserved more than her half hearted love. Kyungwon probably also knew it and perhaps it was the reason for her actions today.

They stopped in front of the company, Minky still clinging onto the younger girl’s arm.

“Are you working today? Again?” She timidly asked, afraid of what she was about to hear.

“Yep.” The light tone was still there, filled with stubbornness.  Kyungwon would keep her façade until the very ending, as expected of her. “Don’t worry, I’ll come back home. Today.” She leaned in to kiss Minkyung on the lips, a little longer than necessary.

Minkyung rested her hands on the girl’s broad shoulders, keeping her in place so she could prolong the contact. The kiss was nice, soft lips pressing gently against hers – but that was all. No more somersaults in her stomach, no involuntary smile on her face, not even the feeling of pleasure filling her chest. She hated it. She hate the inability of feeling like she always had. She hated herself.

It took her a moment to realize her grip on the Kyungwon was a bit too strong, however the woman didn’t complain. “It’s okay, Minky. Just go to work and we can have dinner together later.” The younger woman gave her a small smile, gently taking her hands off her shoulders. “I love you. Have a good day.”

Minkyung tried to speak, but Kyungwon blocked her with a quick kiss. “Go! Not getting late today, remember? I’ll see you later.”

Unwilling, the brunette obeyed her request, giving her one final hug before heading inside the building. She didn’t turn around to check on Kyungwon, otherwise she would have seen the woman’s smile falling out of her face to give space to a heavy sigh.

 


 

Her second of the day had to be delayed. Kang thought she was stronger than she really was, but her little breakdown on the way back home was enough to prove she wasn’t. She had tried so hard to keep her act to Minkyung, as if pretending everything was fine, she would be able to make things like this and it would be the memory she would have left – it wasn’t. She had noticed every look Minky gave her, she felt all the changes between them and it was slowly killing her. Even if she was able to keep her façade, her memory of the moment was tainted by the pain inside her heart that colored everything grey.

Back home Kyungwon allowed herself to cry, trying to release all the emotions that were eating her inside. In this state it was hard to think she could make it through the day, still she had to. There wasn’t a painless way to do it, therefore it was better to get it over with it already.

Taking a long shower, the tall girl got ready to proceed with the plan.

She headed to Yewon’s house, a small apartment building that matched perfectly the girl’s style. It had taken her several minutes to gather the courage and call the girl, asking her to meet her and as expected from Yewon loyal and kind personality, she had agreed right away without any questions. Now the younger woman was making her way downstairs to meet Kang that was waiting patiently, sitting on the front steps of the building.

Hearing the sounds of footsteps, Kyungwon turned around slight to face the new comer. Bright brown eyes that were of a similar shade of brown to Minky’s, stared at her when Yewon notice her presence, the usual smile appearing on her face hiding the orbs in half moons.

Kyungwon felt a knot on , a sharp pain on her chest as she looked at the girl that was to her like a sister.

When she fell for Minkyung, she never thought the implications a potential break up could have, mainly because she never even admitted it as a real possibility. She should’ve known better, perhaps like that she wouldn’t have grown so attached to that family.

Forcing a smile, Kyungwon raised her right hand, showing the pages to the girl. “Yewonie. I promised you a sketch, didn’t I?” She gave her a smile, one that hopefully only showed how much she loved and appreciated the girl and not her emotional turmoil. However, Yewon had always been good at seeing right through people, and she was no exception.

Yewon’s expression changed, her lips quivering as she leaned in to back hug the older woman. “Kyungwon unnie!”

With a short, weak laugh, Kang only stood still. She didn’t need to ask to know the reason why the younger girl was acting like this, Minkyung had always been close to her family, it was only natural that she told them about what was going on. The smaller Kim was holding her dearly, making her think that today she wasn’t only giving up on Minkyung, but also on the wonderful family that she once considered as her own. A single stubborn tear rolled down her cheek and she was quick to wipe it away with her free hand. “You stop it. No one is dying here.” She finally pushed the girl away, as gentle as possible, making her sit down beside her instead.

“Here. I worked hard on them, but I’m not very inspired lately so…” The taller girl shrugged, handing Minkyung’s sister the drawings. She would usually sketch their performances, mostly in a funny way to make the younger girls laugh. Not this time though, since it would be the last one for a long time, if not forever, she had put all her effort on it.

Yewon unfolded the pages with care, her fingers running through it, barely touching as if she was afraid it would erase all. Her sweet brown eyes looked up to meet Kyungwon’s darker ones, full of unreleased tears that made her look like the child she met over a decade ago. “Thank you. It’s beautiful.” It wasn’t, at least the artist didn’t think so, but she knew Yewon would keep anything as long as she could feel the sentiment it carried – and these the sketches had enough for a lifetime.

Kang only gave her signature grin, hugging the girl by the shoulder. “I have a favor to ask you.”

“It’s about Minkyung, isn’t it?” Yewon gave her an uncharacteristic serious look.

With a short nod, Kyungwon proceeded to tell her plans and ask for Yewon’s assistance.

“I don’t think this is right, unnie. You should talk to her.” The younger one didn’t seem happy with what she heard, a pout forming on her face as she tried to hold back tears and the taller woman hugged her. She knew she was asking too much of the girl, still she was the only one who could do it and Kyungwon wouldn’t be able to feel at peace if she didn’t know Yewon would be by Minkyung’s side tomorrow.

“I’m sorry, Yewon, but I can’t. I’m afraid I would change my mind if I did, and it would only make things worse.” It was time for her to stand her ground.

“You know you don’t have to do this. Even if you and Minkyung unnie aren’t together anymore, we are still family. Aren’t we?” She tugged on Kang’s sleeve, and once again it reminded Kyungwon of a much younger and shy Yewon that she met over ten years ago. She had grown so much since then, much of this to do with her supportive and loving soulmate – Kyungwon hoped that Minkyung’s soulmate would have a similar effect on her.

“You’ll always be like a sister to me, Yewonie.” The younger brunette sniffed, hugging her once more. Yewon had always been a very sensitive person, she used to stay with the two older girls, too shy to mingle with the other kids. Kyungwon had got used to her presence and become fond of the little one, now even after so much time this much hadn’t change and she hoped it would never change. There weren’t friendship marks, but she was sure that if they existed, she would have one with Yewon’s name on it.

For a while they just stood there, Yewon finally stopping crying and becoming a bit more rational, asking her questions and giving her own opinions – in times like this she reminded Kyungwon of her sister.

“Arin is here, finally.” She gesture in the direction of the girl that was approaching them with a curious look on her face. Arin would look after Yewon and it was enough to make Kyungwon feel a little better about things. She would miss these two.

“Yewon two!” She stood up, hugging the other girl. “You two are the best couple I’ve met, you know? I’m glad you guys are together.” Her tone was light, making the younger woman frown slightly in confusing as she exchanged a look with the Kim that just shrugged with a small smile.

“Did something happen?”

“What should’ve happened long ago, I think.” She let the girl go, taking a step back so she could face both women. It wasn’t her intention to be enigmatic and worry Arin, but she knew Yewon would fill her into the topic soon. “I’ve got to go now though. Be good to each other and go grab some food.”

She exchange a final glance with Yewon, receiving a weak positive nod, before she could wave them goodbye.

As she walked away, she still could hear Arin asking:

“What is the world just happened?”

 


 

Yaebin was helping the new girl, Choi Yerim, to get familiar with all the book sections and explaining how things work. The new part timer was an incredibly bright kid who Yooa introduced her to, she was still in college and needed to make some extra money so the job was perfect for her. Yaebin was glad for how smart and willing to learn the young brunette was, she wouldn’t take long to get the hang of the job.

The bookstore owner smiled, watching as Kyla came over to look after the girl – she still didn’t understand the reason for the latter give up on the job, but it wasn’t her place to questioning her, she could only thank the girl for being so mindful and stay a few more days to help Yerim.

“Unnie, there’s a woman looking for you at the front.” Kyla informed with her usual calm and almost indifferent tone. Yaebin frowned slightly, wondering who could be. The employees already knew her mom, so at least she didn’t have to worry about the woman coming to bother her personally.

She nodded, letting Yerim under Kyla’s care and walked to the front of the shop, passing by a giggly Yooa who questioned in a playful tone. “Aren’t you popular with the tall good looking clients lately?” Yaebin just waved her off, intrigued to what was happening

However, she just smiled relaxed as soon as she recognized the figure. It was one of their usual customers. “Oh, hey! Did you come to get the usual? You are a bit late this month.” Yaebin greeted, approaching the taller woman.

The brown haired girl gave her a tight lipped smile. Unfortunately, she hadn’t just come to get a new edition of a manga this time, she probably wouldn’t ever come back to so either. “I didn’t come because of it.”

“Lost interest? I see.” Yaebin nodded and she was ready to give some other recommendations when the woman spoke again.

“I never really liked it. They were for Minkyung.”

The shorter Kang furrowed her eyebrows. Minkyung wasn’t exactly a rare name, but there was something about the other woman’s tone that made her unease.

“I believe you gave her one already.” Kyungwon completed, her polite smile still on her face as she watched the shock of realization hitting Yaebin.

“I think I never introduced myself properly, so I should do it now since it will be our last meeting.” She offered her hand to the younger girl. “I’m Kang Kyungwon. Minkyung’s girlfriend.”

Yaebin looked at the other woman for a moment, before she could recover her composure and shake the hand. “Kang Yaebin, I’m…”

She had seen the fellow Kang so many times, yet it never occurred her that Minkyung’s girlfriend might be someone she knows. It was hard to not stare and compare herself to the other.

 “I know who you are.” Albeit the reply came a bit too fast, the taller brunette’s tone remained polite.

Yaebin tried to return the smile with her own stiff one.

Kyungwon was pretty much everything she wasn’t. The difference in height was only the most obvious one. The brown haired woman had a serious look on her face today, but Yaebin still remembered the easy smile that she always sported and fit perfectly on the pretty face of sharp features. They never really had a real conversation, only small talk, however she always felt like the woman was someone fun to be around and by her manners she could tell Kyungwon was a nice person as well – just like Minkyung had said. She matched Minkyung well.

“Is it a bad time? I just wanted to…Give you this.” Kyungwon spoke, her voice was small, as if she didn’t want anyone else to hear it. She showed a small notebook on her right hand.

The younger Kang finally snapped out of her thoughts, shaking her head slightly. “Er, sure thing. My office is at the back.” She pointed out the place, leading the older woman there without a second word. They walked in silence, remaining like this even when they sat down on the comfortable chairs of the office.

Yaebin’s gaze hovered over the notebook that was still on the Minkyung’s girlfriend hand. She had thought about how it could be meeting this woman, but in no scenario she imagined it was anything like it.

Kyungwon cleared , preparing herself to do what she was supposed to. She could see the smaller Kang was as uncomfortable as she was, maybe even more. The other times they met, Yaebin always looked like a very well put together adult, oozing confidence when she would talk about anything related to her work, but now she looked much younger and somehow fragile. It was weird that she found the girl endearing? Wasn’t she supposed to hate her?

Well, Kyungwon was never good at hating anyone. It was usually the opposite, she always loved people too much. The reason why she was there proved it.

“Here. Everything you need to know about Minkyung, from her bad habits to the small things that make her happy.” She handed the shorter brunette the notebook. It wasn’t anything new, actually she kept it for a couple of years now. At first she planned on using it to write about her fictional characters for the manhwa, but she ended up writing only about the wise fox in the drawings she never got to publish – Minkyung. It was a collection of small facts, a couple of funny stories and the little habits that she learned to love on the girl. Back then she thought it would be useful for when she finally put her idea in action. However, now it would never happen and it seem pointless to keep it.

The bookstore owner didn’t make a move, refusing to accept the book. “Why are you giving me this?”

Kyungwon’s presence itself was intimidating. Not in the way Minkyung was, with all her alluring and charming ways, it was more dry and cold – just like someone who was posing as something they weren’t really. By looking at the fellow Kang dark chocolate eyes that didn’t express much, so different from the times she had smiled warmly at Yaebin even though they were mere acquaintances, she knew right away that the person she was facing right now was just a consequence of everything that happened. Yaebin lowered her head, avoiding the woman’s gaze as a sharp pain hit her. This was the one thing she never wished for: ruin someone else’s happy life.

Kyungwon left out a small, broken laugh. “Why do you think?” With a sigh, she averted her gaze to her left hand where the promise ring still was. She lowered the notebook, letting it rest on her lap once. “I’m leaving her life. For good.”

“Does she know about it?” Minkyung never told Yaebin much about her girlfriend, and Yaebin never insisted on the subject, she could tell it was painful for the brunette. Kyungwon might not be Minkyung’s soulmate, but they had a strong relationship and she highly doubt the Kim would give up on it all of sudden.

The taller girl took off the promise ring out of her finger, placing it on her pocket with shaky moves. “She will soon.” There was no emotion on her voice, her eyes glued to her own hands that were busy rubbing the place where the ring was before.

It didn’t seem right, for neither of them. Still, Yaebin could understand her actions. She couldn’t rejoice from knowing Minkyung would be free now, but from the beginning they all knew it would end up like this eventually.

She wondered how much hurt and courage it took Kyungwon to make this decision.

“Minkyung told me you were the kindest person she ever met, I guess she was right.” Her quiet voice was barely audible in the silent office, but by the way one of the corners of Kyungwon’s mouth went up in a small, almost inexistent smile, she knew the woman heard her.

“Minkyung can be very cheesy at times. I would’ve write it down as well, but I figured you must’ve noticed by now.” The light tone didn’t match the atmosphere, neither it was able to reach her eyes. Once more the older Kang offered her the notebook, her gaze fixed on Yaebin’s face, pressuring her to accept the offer.

Kyungwon was starting to think Yaebin would reject it, when the girl finally took the notebook out of her hands gently. She tried her best to smile, praying that her ability of keeping her emotions out of her face wouldn’t fail her now. But it was hard. Why handing out that freaking notebook made her feel like she had just gave Minky herself to the other girl? It wasn’t so far of the truth, still her heart clenching in her chest as she watched Yaebin hug the annotations to her chest as if it was something dear to her. 

It was the right thing to do, she knew it. However, giving up on someone you love would never be an easy task.

She blinked, clenching her fists on her coat’s pocket to try to keep her composure.

“It’s not that big of deal. Just some stuff I learned through the years and might be useful. You know, she may look confident and completely in control of everything, but she gets hurt easily and tends to close herself up to the world. Will be your job to know how to reach her and make sure she is fine.” She muttered the words that had been on her mind ever since she finished writing that damn thing. “It may be hard sometimes, but it’s worth it. And well, you are her soulmate, so I think you can do it better than anyone else.” Better than me. Yaebin would be better to Minkyung in every sense and she could never forget it.

She stood up, ready to leave before her emotions took over her.

Yaebin wanted to reach out and hug the girl, no matter how weird and out of place it could be, she felt it was the right thing to do. So she did it.

For a moment, Kyungwon just remained stiff in her arms, but the small Kang didn’t back away. Eventually, the taller girl gave in to the hug, her long arms loosely hugging Yaebin back. She didn’t say a word, only her labored breaths breaking the silence in the room. The younger woman had no idea if it brought her some comfort, but she hoped it did.

Kyungwon was the first to step back, a gloomy smile on her face as her bright dark eyes looked at the bookstore owner.

“So, I trust her to you.” The taller Kang’s voice was deep, filled with too many emotions to be taken lightly. In any other occasion, she would have joked about how tack the situation was, after all Kim wasn’t a child in need of care, but both of them knew what she meant and e even her wouldn’t be able to crack a joke in such moment.

Yaebin nodded, feeling closing up as she tried to reply. “I’ll take care of her.” It was weird that although she was the ‘winner’ in that situation, she still had hot tears in the back of her eyes. She promised herself she would always be the best to Minkyung, no matter what. “Thank you.”

The brown haired woman didn’t answer, just giving her a final nod before leaving the place.

 


 

Minkyung tried one last time to meet the owner of the Im’s Manuscripts, the creepy place that was closed every time she tried to visit before. Her most rational part told her that she should just forget about that weird place, that Nayoung must be just another nut job that lives off conspiracy theories and her grandma’s retirement money. However, she didn’t have many options regarding the whole soulmate matter, whether she liked it or not, the place was the only one where she could find detailed books on soulmates and if she could have a chance of taking a look at them even if only for a little while, it was worth the try.

This time when she stopped by the bookstore, she found the door wide open, as if it was waiting for her. Raising her eyebrows, feeling a bit uneasy of adventuring inside the dusty room once more, she took careful steps. Just like the first time, the place didn’t have a single customer, the books were still messily located everywhere and the illumination was barely enough for her to read anything at all.

Although there was a pretty blatant difference now, and it took form in the tall brunette that looked at her with a expression that was so stoic that automatically made Minky feel uncomfortable. For a while they just stared at each other, until the younger woman couldn’t stand anymore the silent and spoke.

 “Hi. I’m Kim Minkyung.” She bowed politely, not daring to approach the woman. “I believe you emailed me a couple of days ago? You are Nayoung, right?”

“I suppose someone did.” Her tone didn’t have any inflection, it was as flat as her expression, albeit she took a few steps closer to the Kim. “Im Nayoung.” A short, mechanic bow followed.

Minky switched the weight from her body from a foot to another, uncomfortable with the way that Nayoung still kept her sleepy eyes on her. She actually wanted to go and grab one of the books, or maybe a dozen of them, all the it took to find something useful. But she was having a hard time acting under such gaze.

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to sound er…Rude, but you don’t have any new books here. The company for which I work doesn’t deal with antiques.” She looked around, checking once more if there was even a signal of a book that had been realized in the past century at least. Nothing.

“We don’t have this kind of book in here.” Was all Im said. She didn’t seem very talkative.

Minkyung had to refrain from sighing, deciding to put her work etiquette aside.

“What is this place even? This is not a bookstore, is it?”

“It’s a library. We only open for special occasions.”

Special occasions? As if the place didn’t look appropriated for a horror movie already the owner had to add her own gloomy words to its atmosphere.

Enough with the enigmatic talk.

“Then why did you sent me the email? Why was your name on our lists even? A normal library wouldn’t have a bunch of blank books.” She pointed out the said books, expecting to get a reaction out of the woman with that.

Nayoung had prepared herself for this type of conservation for a long while. “Only people who need it can find their way to here. And even if they do, they can only read the book that can help them.”

“Need what?” The human frowned, the uneasiness slowly spreading through her body.

For the first time that evening Nayoung showed some emotion – even if it was in the form of a slightly annoyed sigh. “I thought you would have figured out by now.”

“The soulmate…?” Minkyung tried, the words sounds weird to her own ears. Thinking about finding a solution and actually getting ‘help’ without even asking for it were two very different things. She still didn’t know if she could trust Nayoung, she didn’t even knew what exactly she had got herself into.

“Go ahead. You know the book, don’t you?” Im gestured one of the shelves, waiting for Minkyung to follow her instructions.

After a moment of hesitation, she did as she was told. You don’t have anything to lose, she muttered to herself trying to brave up. There were so many books in there, small and big ones, all so old that she could bet even the mold on it was older than her. Still, she was drawn by a certain book, its red cover dotted by dust – the same book she had read before, the only one she was able to. Just like the other time, she couldn’t help the urge to reach out and grab it, opening it with motions that were more rushed than graceful. Her finger slid through the pages, looking for the point she had stopped by the last time.

But she couldn’t find it. She couldn’t find anything at all.

The book was blank.

“W-Why? Why can’t I read it?” She franticly went through the book pages, finding nothing but empty page after page. A despair that she had forced into a corner of her mind was starting to reappear, all her fears solidified as her last resort proved to be nothing more than a twisted joke. “This is another book! Are you trying to trick me?”

Minkyung gaze the elder a piercing look, putting the book back into place roughly.

She wasn’t acting like herself, they both knew it. Minky wasn’t one to act reckless and to be easily annoyed, neither it was like her to pinpoint her problems at others. Nevertheless, all the stress from the last of couple of weeks, and specially the conversation she with Yaebin last night, were crushing her and pushing her to the edge.

“We both know this is the right book.” Nayoung’s gaze was colder now, inflexible. “I don’t make jokes.” Whether that kid wanted to believe her or not wasn’t really her problem, she had done enough by allowing her inside.

“No…This can’t be…Please.” Her frustration was turning into hurt, the disappointment of having her hopes crashed once more. “You said only people who need help can come in. I could read it before, why I can’t do it now?”

Nayoung’s dark eyes softened, even if only a slightly. Humans were pitiful creatures in her eyes, hence why she always tried to help them to reach happiness. Unfortunately, they seem unable to understand that sometime the path for happiness is marked by pain and sorrow.

“You can’t read it because your soulmate is in your heart now. You don’t need it anymore.”

Kim’s eyes grew larger, shocked by the woman’s words. She had tried so hard to keep her feelings buried inside her heart, to downplay it as much as she could, to pretend nothing had changed…But she had changed.

“The mark, it-“

“The mark can’t create love. Only a human soul can, and you did it. Both of you did.” The goddess’ of love expressed the closest thing of a smile she had ever showed, her lips curving ever so slightly, in an apathetic try of comfort. “The soul mark only helped to connect you two, you should be glad for having this opportunity.”

Minkyung reached out for the promise ring on her hand, looking for its usual comfort and finding nothing. Her gaze shifted to her hand, only then noticing the jewelry was no longer there. She bite down on her bottom lip, opening her hand to verify that her soulmate was still there, unchanged.

She didn’t only lose the ring, she lost a huge part of her life and didn’t even realized it.

“Kyungwon…”

“Everyone has their own path in life, child. It’s time for you to follow yours.” Nayoung patted her shoulder with surprisingly gentleness. “And she has hers.”

The taller girl looked at the library’s owner with watery eyes, taking a deep breath to try and regain her control over her emotions. “Who are you?”

“I’m someone who owes you an apology, only this.” Im stepped back, bowing again to the human. “Now you shall go.”

Minkyung could’ve argued, tried to search the whole place for other books, or even scream at the woman for trying to confuse her – but she knew it would be pointless. It wasn’t simply the book, although she felt that Nayoung wasn’t lying about it. It was about her own feelings and how she couldn’t deny it any longer.

 Therefore she just left without a single word, her aimless steps leading her back home.

Nayoung didn’t say anything either, she didn’t have to, both knew Minkyung wouldn’t be able to find that place ever again.

 


 

It was past 1 am when Kyungwon stepped inside the house, taking her shoes off with lazy motions. She fixed her coat, leaving it on the rack before walking towards her studio. She didn’t turn on the lights, as if like this her presence wouldn’t be notice, albeit it was useless since a voice called her out before she could reach the place.

“Kyungwon, you’re home?” It was more a statement than a question, done in a nonchalant tone that didn’t fit well with its owner. The voice was coming from the kitchen, the only place of the house where the lights were on in the moment.

With a deep breath, the brown haired woman her heels, heading to the kitchen. She could have simply pretended to not listen, but it wouldn’t do them any good. She had delayed it as much as she could, but there was no escape.

Minkyung’s fox like eyes darted to her, filled with a mix of concern and restlessness. Kyungwon could almost feel her nerves from all the way of the other side of the room. “You are late.” It wasn’t an accusation, there was no anger in her words, just…disappointment? Maybe even sadness. “Were you working with Siyeon again?”

Kyungwon shook her head in a negative. “No, I was out, just…Strolling…Looking for my soulmate and stuff.” The dry humor only add to the growing tension between them, and Kyungwon regretted immediately her words. No matter how bad things were, or what she was about to do, become a bitter person who hurts others for no reason was exactly the opposite of everything she ever wanted. It wasn’t about being nice to her girlfriend anymore, it was about making sure she kept herself floating in the middle of all that mess.

She was about to lose Minkyung, she couldn’t afford losing herself too.

“Sorry.” The younger woman lowered her head, her voice small. “I need to talk to you.” Once again she turned her back to the Kim, unable to face her, going back to the living room where she took a seat the couch. They usually talked in the bedroom where she had always felt safe and closer to Minky. However, she didn’t want to be affect by the good memories, nor taunt them with harsh words that she wouldn’t be able to hold in for long.

The brunette’s light steps could be heard, only a moment before she sat on the sofa alongside Kyungwon. Minkyung didn’t say a thing, she just waited patiently, as if she already knew what was about to come, yet didn’t want to be the other to bring it up.

A stiff, unnatural smile appeared on Kang’s face as she turned slightly to face her girl – No, that was not her girl anymore. She needed to get used to it. “I want to break up.” Her voice was surprisingly stable, almost indifferent, reflecting the numbing feeling that started to creep over her chest. She had rehearsed it in her head multiple times, maybe if she pretended that it was just another rehearsal she could go through with it without breaking down. “We can’t pretend everything is okay forever. So I’m doing what I think is the best. For everyone.”

Kang hadn’t move an inch, still Minky winced like she had just received a punch – and perhaps she did, even if not physically. There are moments in life that doesn’t matter if you know what is about will inevitably happen, how much you prepare for it or if you try to detached yourself from the feelings, in the end it hits you anyway. It was hitting Minkyung harder than she could’ve predicted. She wanted to protest, to say it wasn’t only up to Kyungwon and she couldn’t simply discard her life this – but how would this be fair? It was she who had replaced the girl even if she didn’t realize it at first.

She had been dreading this moment the whole day, knowing their little moment in the morning would probably be their last. Going to that library was her last try at saving their relationship, a desperate try that she knew before ahead would fail because nothing could possibly fix her feelings now.

Her eyes lingered on the woman she thought for so long was the love of her life, hating to see her dull red eyes. Kyungwon’s eyes were her favorite in the world, always so candid and kind, yet now they only showed how broken inside she was.

Minkyung couldn’t be egoistic anymore. It was time to let her best friend free to go and find her own soulmate, and hopefully, happiness as well.

“Having you in my life was the best thing that could’ve happened to me.” She confessed, her words filled with sincerity, her eyes still on the girl’s. Not meeting Yaebin earlier might have affected their relationship, but it also gave her the chance of having some very valuable years with Kyungwon. “And I swear I tried my best to keep you, but I…I’ve failed you.” Her voice cracked, and she had to make a pause to try and breath before the sobs took over her.” I know I c-can’t ask you to stay.” Now the tears were already rolling down her face, so hot that it hurt her sensitive skin, still she didn’t even notice it until the thin layer of salty water blurred her vision. She reached out to grab Kyungwon’s hard, holding onto it tightly. “I can’t ask you to just go back to what we were before, but I want you to know that you’ll always have a special place in my life.”

The slightly younger woman’s shoulder were shaking just like her hand that used to be so warm, but was cold now. Kyungwon didn’t reply, she couldn’t possibly do it. Minky was a big part of her life, she meant so much to her, she had affected her life in so many ways…How would things be if they had never become a couple? Or even friends? Maybe it would’ve been better if they never met…Her chest clenched at the thought. No, she would never regret have met and fall for Minky, even if things didn’t end in the best way, she would never forget everything good that the other brought to her life.

So she just squeezed Kim’s hand, nodding weakly. For a moment they just stood there, holding hands in the dark room for one last time. After tonight there would be no more talks, no movie marathons, fun reunions with their friends or even arguments…It was sad that their last memory in the house they had spent so many good days, would be so gloomy.

“I’ll sleep over Siyeon’s house. Everything is packed in my office already and it would be too awkward to stay anywhere else here. I’ll have someone getting my stuff tomorrow.” Kyungwon said, her voice barely audible as she tried her best to restrain the turmoil of emotions inside her.

Minkyung sobs that had quiet down a bit, came back stronger as she throw herself into her ex-girlfriend’s arms, hugging her so tight that it was probably hurting the other woman a bit – however Kyungwon didn’t complain, she just returned the embrace, her big hands patting Minky’s back like she used to do to calm her down.

“You will be fine.” There were tears in her words, tears Kim couldn’t see having her head buried deeply into Kang’s broad warm shoulder. Ever since the first time they hugged she always thought that being between Kyungwon’s arms was a privilege, an embrace that was capable of making her feel safe like no other. Usually their hugs were a symbol of their union, a comfort that made even their worst days a bit better, that helped them heal and grow as a couple and as people. It was a symbol of how they would be there for each other no matter what.

That hug wasn’t like that. Kyungwon wouldn’t be there the next time she needed, nor she would be there all the other times after that. It would be Yaebin. Yaebin with her gentle eyes and clingy ways, the sweet smiles and comforting words.

It was their last time together. Kyungwon would become her past, just like Yaebin became her future.

Minkyung hold on even tighter to the girl who had been a fundamental piece of her life for what seem like forever. She nuzzled her face into Kyungwon’s neck, trying to capture her pansy scent one last time – she could barely breathe, her body shaken by sobs and her eyes burning from the tears that seem endless. Still, she didn’t move, she wasn’t ready to do so.

Kyungwon didn’t push her away, instead she did her best to camouflage how badly her hands were shaking, pressing them to Minkyung’s back in reassuring motions. Her own salty tears fell incessantly, making her have to nibble on her lower lip to muffle a sob. Her blurred gaze insisted on fixing itself in the pictures of them on the walls, the images that told their whole story, a story marked by smiles and playful faces…She wondered if anyone would be able to tell that the people on those pictures were the same duo who was now falling apart. She was glad no one was there to capture this moment.

Both women needed this time, this last chance of saying goodbye and cry into each other’s arms. Although, it seem to only make the pain worse.

Whether it was minutes or hours, when Kyungwon finally pulled back, her face stained by the tears and hurt, she still tried to give Minkyung her trademark grin.

“You will be fine.” She repeated, not only as a way to comfort her ex-girlfriend, but also trying to convince herself.

“But what about you?” Minkyung replied, failing to contain her tears. She wanted to clingy onto Kyungwon, ask her to stay even if only a bit longer. Nevertheless, she knew she didn’t have this right. Not anymore.

Kyungwon’s small, shaky grin wasn’t able to stand for long. She only shook her head, wordless. She couldn’t and wouldn’t lie, she had no idea how things would be now. Minkyung had a happy ending ahead, and what she had? She had nothing left.

 She took Minkyung’s red and swollen face into her hands, placing a sweet kiss on her lips. “I love you, Minky. Take care.” She forced a small smile, leaning in to kiss the woman’s forehead.

With a final look and a very deep breath, she stood up. It was their last goodbye, yet she didn’t want to say the words, therefore she only gave her a nod before turning in her heels and heading to the door. She hurriedly put on her shoes and coat, leaving as fast as she could – not because she feared that Minkyung would try to stop her, she knew it wouldn’t happen ever again, but because she was afraid her own will would crumb down and she would go back to beg the girl to stay with her instead.

 



Tuesday

 

As soon as she stepped outside the house, instead of only the cold wind of the night, she found a familiar car with two even more familiar figures leaning on it. The younger girls looked at her, the raven coming running to hug her tight as Sungyeon left out a frustrated sigh. Different form the usual, the kids didn’t say much, they silent support was everything Kyungwon needed right now.

They took her to Siyeon’s place, where Sungyeon insisted on giving her some pills to help her to sleep and she didn’t protest, glad for the torpor that the meds could put her into, falling into a dreamless sleep. However, not even the medicine was enough to make her sleep more than a couple of hours and she was up early morning.

Having already discussed with Siyeon about her plans, they didn’t try to argue when she said she had to get going to take the first train back to her parents home. Albeit Park only allowed her to leave once Sungyeon was back to drive them to the train station – because both girls insisted on baby sitting her, under the excuse that they wanted to see her off.

“You didn’t really think we wouldn’t come to make sure you are fine?” The youngest had said with her usual smirk that wasn’t able to hide the concern in her eyes. Kang didn’t have strength to scold them about it, actually deep down she was grateful for having them by her side now.

Kyungwon only had a backpack with her, still the girls insisted on helping her with it as well, following her around like puppies.

“I’ve everything under control, so don’t even think about calling me to talk about work. I’ll appreciate personal calls though.” Sungyeon had the ticket with her and handed it to older woman, a stern look on her face. Bae might look a bit indifferent at times, but Kyungwon knew she had a soft heart and she was one of the most reliable people she had ever met. “Take good care of yourself. If you need anything just let me know.”

 “We’ll take care of everything here, so don’t worry and just pet Kongie for me!” Siyeon added, giving her a bone crushing hug. She had that odd look to her eyes again, the one that made her look much older than she really was. “I’m done with my classes. I could go with you, unnie.”

With a small smile, the brown haired woman rejected the offer. She was thankful for having such good friends, but she needed some alone time now.

“Thank you. I don’t know what I’d do without you guys…” She pulled both girls into a hug, winning a weak protest of Sungyeon and a bear like hug from the raven. Part of her wanted to stay and try to be strong, continuing her life in the city as if nothing had changed, but she knew it would do more harm than good. Hopefully she was making the right decision.

She could hear the first call for her train and decided to cut the goodbyes short before things get too emotional. “I’ll see you soon. Keep me update about everything meanwhile, okay?” She smiled, it coming surprisingly easy when she focused only on her friends and not allowed her mind to wandered to painful subjects. “I’ll send you a lot of pictures of Kongie!”

Waving to her friends one last time, she entered the train and took her seat. She had nearly three hours of journey ahead.

Resting her head against the widow, she allowed her mind to wander. Every single memory she had from Minkyung seem to flash before her eyes: their awkward first meeting in middle school, their first real conversation, the first time Minky smiled at her with affection, the first time they held hands and kissed…Slowly her memories reached more recent times. She still could remember the last time they had made this trip together, Minkyung was tired due to work and they had fight because Kyungwon thought she should quit such stressful job, but Minkyung was too stubborn to listen to her. The animosity between was short lived as usual and by the end of their short journey Minky was sleeping peaceful on her shoulder.

It had been their last trip together.

Shutting her eyes tight, she took a deep breath, saying goodbye to the memories as the train started to move taking her away of her old life.

 


 

Minkyung crawled into a ball on the couch, hugging herself as she tried to stop crying and failed. The conversation replayed in her mind so many times, Kyungwon’s sad eyes haunting her. She had throw her phone over the room, resisting the urge to call her and ask her to come back to their home because it wasn’t a home if she wasn’t there. Hiding her face on her knees, she tried to close herself up to all the memories that surrounded her. She remained like that for hours, until the tiredness took over her, making her fall in a light, restless sleep.

Yewon and Arin found her in this position in the morning. The Kim approached her older sister, sitting on the edge of the couch as Arin watched the sisters with a sorrowful smile.

“I’ll call her work and go buy some breakfast after.” Choi mouthed to her girlfriend, leaving the room to give the Kims some privacy.

Yewon nodded, gently touching Minkyung’s hair to take it out off of her face. Unnie? Come on, you shouldn’t sleep here.” She called softly, her worried gaze noticing the girl’s bloated face and the dark circles under her eyes. Sais eyes soon fluttered open to face her. “Are you okay?”

“Yewon?” She blinked, her half sleep brain taking a moment to acknowledge her little sister’s presence and remember what happened last night.

“Kyungwon unnie asked me to come check on you.” Yewon gave her a gloomy smile and Minkyung felt a new wave of pain going through her. That stupid Kang Kyungwon being thoughtful until the bitter ending wasn’t making it any easier to let her go.

“Oh, Yewon, I’m so glad you are here!”

 


 

Later that day Siyeon came with Sungyeon and a small team of people to get Kyungwon’s stuff as she requested. Yewon and Arin were still there with a much calmer, but still melancholic Minkyung. Sungyeon only shook her head at the older woman, excusing herself to order the men around and clean up Kang’s office, while Siyeon stood behind to talk to Minkyung and get Kyungwon’s personal things.

“We’ll be fast, she just asked for her work material and clothes. Her tone was dry and cold, very different from the usual playful one that was natural to the raven. “She doesn’t want anything else.”

Not only she didn’t even bother coming to get her stuff, Kyungwon didn’t even want their pictures or the gifts she had gotten her? Minkyung nodded weakly. She should feel glad they were cutting all ties at once and making it as painless as possible, but she couldn’t. Her lips felt dry, her voice quiet when she spoke. “How…How is she? I can’t reach her.”

“Kyungwon unnie is none of your business anymore.” Minkyung flinched at the sharp answer. Siyeon was one of the closest person to Kyungwon, she shouldn’t be surprised that the girl didn’t liked her very much right now, still to hear these words hurt.

“I know I hurt her, but this doesn’t mean I don’t care about her!” Her voice still cracked, albeit filled with frustration this time. She didn’t need Siyeon hating on her, she was beating herself enough already. “I didn’t plan it all, I…I can’t control it. And I hate myself for it.”

Park’s expression softened ever so slightly. “Look, I’m sorry if I’m being rude, but…Unnie, you have your soulmate now. Kyungwon has nothing. Or at least she feels like it.” The younger woman sighed, a sad look on her face as she finally faced Minkyung. “She needs time, a lot of it. Me, Sungyeon, and her family, we all will do our best to make her happy again. So just stay away and let us handle it.”

No matter how much she wanted to argue, she couldn’t. Park was right. Meddling into Kyungwon’s life right now might done more damage than good. She just hoped things could get better eventually.

With a defeated sigh, she lead Siyeon to the bedroom that was now only hers.

 



2 years later

 

“Unnie, are you sure you don’t want to come with us? Yerim even bought extra tickets.” Siyeon said gesturing her girlfriend and soulmate that currently held the tickets with a puppy like expression on her face.

The young couple was spending some time with her. Siyeon still worked with her, although they were more like partners now, although this trip had nothing to do with work. At first Park even stayed with her for a long period, keeping her promise of looking after her unnie even when she had just bumped into her soulmate – the said soulmate was an incredibly supportive and cheerful person who didn’t even bat an eye before encouraging her to do it. Those had been the worst months, and Kyungwon had to admit that having the younger girl with her was rather comforting. However, it was all in the past now and the couple were there mainly to act like tourists and have fun as they were supposed to.

“And third wheel you guys? No, thanks.” She shook her head with an amused smile. “I’ve to do some things, so just go without me. We’ll see each other later.”

Seeing them off, she went back inside to get her camera and small notebook with a pen that she always took with her when she went strolling the calm streets of her new neighborhood.

Cherry blossoms greeted her as soon as she stepped outside, their pink flowers casting shadow on the streets, giving it a cozy feel. Kang took a deep breath, her lungs filled with the familiar smell of spring that surrounded her.

It was spring when things changed. It’s funny since she was never the type that payed attention to this kind of stuff. She couldn’t even recall if it was summer or winter when they first met. Maybe because it was a happy memory, and all happy memories are warm. This one, however, was cold and had a greyscale add to it, but still she could remember clearly it was spring. Perhaps this explained why it was her least favorite time of the year now.

Nearly three years had passed since then. It was about time to change her perception of such beautiful time.

With calm steps, she headed to the place that had become her favorite in the past few months. The park was blooming with life, shades of green and pink everywhere giving it an almost unrealistic feeling that seem to amaze everyone that had the change of seeing it. She smile slightly at the sight, making her way to the center of it, where a calm lake with sky blue water was located. Her smile grew wider as she took her time to capture the small details of the view with her camera, the place was beautiful yet a little melancholic – it reminded her of her own memories of spring, therefore it was perfect for the pictures. Putting the camera down, she took a seat on one of the benches close to the water.

Turning her attention to the notebook she had brought with her, she opened it in a clean page. Bitting down on her bottom lip, Kyungwon wondered how she should do it. So much happened since she left their house – the one she shared with Minkyung, -- that it was hard to decide where she should begin.

After the breakup she followed with her plan. First she spend some time with her family back home, leaving the country soon after. Back then she didn’t know exactly what she would do, she just wanted to have the chance of experiencing new things and see new places. And she did, with Siyeon as her unofficial sidekick, she was able to start enjoying this new phase of her life. They just jumped from one place to the other, and that was when she started to take pictures, using every journey as a source of inspiration for her stories. Her friends got a bit worried that she would let work consume her life, using it as an escape route, and although she had became even more passionate about it, she made sure to let everyone know it wasn’t the case.

As if fate was trying to make it up for her bad luck in love, her work became a high point in her life. The webtoon that was already doing well, became even more successful and new ideas kept popping up on her head, ideas that would eventually become successful stories of their own. For this, she could sincerely say that she was very much proud and happy.

Achieving her dreams along with having the support and love of her family and friends was enough to make her feel grateful.

Truth be told, at first she was afraid of many things. She feared being unable to move on, of getting stuck and let things get to her and affect the person she was…This happened to some extent. It was impossible to come out unaffected, but she liked to think it helped her change for the best.  It made her a bit more serious and careful, it also made her think more about other people’s feeling and how it is okay to not have everything figured in life – she still wished she could’ve sometimes.

Nevertheless, her biggest fear still hadn’t come to life and maybe it would never. Her left hand was still clean of a mark and she would get tense whenever she met someone new. It was a bittersweet feeling really. Kyungwon knew that there was a chance her soulmate was still somewhere out there, yet she didn’t know if she liked it. Harbor hope seem like something that would only hurt her in the ending. Moreover, even if she ended up meeting a new person, she didn’t know if she wished to have someone in her life. Minkyung was still in her heart, no matter how deeply she tried to bury the memory of them, how was she supposed to accept anyone else in her life?

That’s why she decided to take that step today.

Getting her pen, she started writing.

 


 

Minkyung took a long sip out of her hot chocolate, passing another mug down to Yaebin and taking a seat on the couch. “You finished it all?” She asked, glancing at younger woman. Yaebin always looked charming when she was concentrate on her work like now, although she preferred her more carefree side overall.

“Pretty much. I like the design so far and I think it will look nice.” The small Kang smiled, putting away the paper work to face her soulmate. They were currently working together on expanding the bookstore with the help of Minky’s company and the city’s administration, it was a partnership to protect the local business. It was surprising that such a big company was willing to participate in this kind of thing, but apparently they would be get a lot of benefits as well. “And how are things going at the office?”

“It’s just fine. I think I’m getting the hang of it.” She nodded, returning the smile. Ever since her boss had been expelled out of the company, her whole team had to be redistributed and she was reallocated to a new department. Two years into the job, she finally had got her first promotion and although it come with new responsibilities, it was a walk in the park compared to be yelled at by her old boss. Putting her mug down at the table, she completed. “I can help you out with the store on the weekend. You still haven’t got a new part timer since Yerim left, right?”

It was the raven’s turn to nod, hugging the older woman with her free arm as she drunk some of her hot chocolate. She still wasn’t the biggest fan of unhealthy food, but she was becoming a bit more lenient to the little pleasures of life, besides Minkyung did the best hot chocolate she had ever drank. “I’ll need to get more people anyway. I’d love some help interviewing all those college kids.” The bookstore was, luckily, doing fine and even if she and Yooa tried their best, it was becoming a mess without extra people to keep everything in place.

“I’ll be there, so you won’t handle all the hyperactive kids alone.” Kim left out a light chuckle, cuddling beside the girl and turning on the TV. They were right on time and soon a familiar voice was heard coming from the device. “She is getting better at it, people love her at my work.” She said referring to the blonde woman that was currently presenting the evening news in her usual flippant tone.

“Eunwoo was born for it. I’ll make her come over to promote the bookstore sometime since she likes to brag so much about being famous.” Yaebin joked, watch her best friend doing on TV would never not be funny to her. Albeit it was undeniable that the woman was good at it. Different from other anchorwoman, Eunwoo was far from being formal, but it was exactly her charm, she was always very direct and a bit blunt about everything, pouring her humor at perfect times and making even the most boring news entertaining. Nunu looked much happier lately as well, and even if she couldn’t see her as much due to her busy celebrity schedule – Jung’s own words, not hers – it was good to see her so vibrant again.

It was only one of the good changes that happen in the last couple of years.

She always wondered how having a soulmate would feel like. However, she never predict how much it could affect her positively. Maybe because having Minkyung around was more than just having someone to go on dates with – although it was rather nice as well –, it was also about having someone there for you whenever, someone to share her hopes and dreams, to be silly and cling with, to just be herself and still know she would be accepted. Minkyung taught her many things even without realizing it, and it had given her new hope. The older girl promised to stay by her side and she kept her word, and slowly Yaebin started to rely more and more on her, leaving behind her worries about the future.

Having her own soulmate also seem to help her relationship with her mom get better. Gwang Min had taking a liking on Minkyung rather fast, being the most supportive she could be and for once focusing on the moment and not in the past, as if seeing her daughter having a happy life was enough to make hers better as well.

The raven glanced at her girlfriend, observing her soft features illuminated by the soft light of the TV. The first time she saw Minky, she felt somewhat intimidate by her aura, now it couldn’t be any more different. Looking at her now brought to Yaebin a warm and comfortable feeling, as if she knew that as long as Minkyung was around everything would be fine – and it was, but it was so much more than that.

They hadn’t simply starting dating as soon as Minkyung was available, it could never be that simple. The brunette needed time to heal her wounds and organize her feelings, what Yaebin could understand completely as it was also a complex situation to her. Facing Kyungwon made her feel guilty and burdened, but also made her more convicted on treating Minky well and become the best partner she could have. Therefore, they just kept doing what they always did: spend time together and try to get to know each other, adapting to their new situation. It was a slow process, their friendly meetings turning into dates, the quick and awkward hugs becoming long and warm ones, the first hasty kiss giving passage to more sincere and passionate ones, mutual liking blooming into love. The connection was there from the beginning, once they accepted, things went smoothly.

Now they were in a nice place in their relationship. Minkyung always comes around to visit or the other way around, they always finding time to see each other and be there whenever the other one needs, be it in the happy or sad moments. There were no talks about marriage yet, but they both knew it would come up naturally. “Are you staying over tonight?”

Minkyung nodded positively, averting her eyes from the TV to meet Yaebin’s dark orbs. The way the girl looked at her with those eyes that were never able to hide her fondness was enough to crack a smile on the Kim’s face. She leaned in, kissing her forehead. “If that is okay with you.” Of course it was, Yaebin’s bear hug just confirmed it. Giggling, she hug her back. This adorable and cling side of the girl was her favorite, mainly because it was something that she only discovered as time passed and they became closer. It was one of the ways that showed how much trust and love had grown between them. She pulled back slightly to kiss the Kang on the lips loving.

“I’ll change into something more comfortable then.” Giving Yaebin a final peck, she headed to the girl’s room to get some of the clothes she left there. Moving in with the girl would’ve been a lot more practical for both of them, but Yaebin never pushed for it and Minkyung could only be grateful for how understanding she was. Someday it would happen, she just wanted to wait a little longer.

Kim currently lived with her parents. After Kyungwon went away it just didn’t seem right for her to be there. It was one of her favorite places and she had spent so much time turning it into a home – but it was Kyungwon and hers home, and if the other woman was no longer there it didn’t feel like her home anymore. She moved away a couple of days after the brown haired woman did, taking every memory with her and storing it into a box and at the back of her mind.

When she and Yaebin finally move in together she would make sure it was forever.

 


 

Yaebin woke up to the sound of her phone ringing loudly. “Hello?” She mumbled, getting off Minkyung’s embrace to take the call.

She was greeted by her former employee and friend Choi Yerim, who seem as excited as ever. “Yaebin unnie! We are here, can you open the door?”

“Yerim? I thought you wouldn’t come back until next month…” She tried to blink away the sleep, feeling her mind a little slower than usual. “Wait, what do you mean by here?”

“We are at your place. I brought gifts and Siyeon is with me too!”

Yaebin yawned, slowly getting up of the bed. She gave her soulmate a look, considering if she should or not wake her up, but deciding against it after noticing how peaceful the older girl was sleeping. Knowing how loudly Yerim could be, it wouldn’t be shocking if the Kim waked up by herself later.

“Okay. Just give me a minute.” Turning off the phone, she headed to the living room where the front door was located. Since she was already in the comfortable clothes that she used to sleep, she didn’t bother changing, just put her hair up in a messy pony tail and opened the door to welcome the young couple into her house.

Yerim greeted her with a tight hug and the smile that was her signature. The raven haired woman that accompanied her wasn’t as warm, actually she was more like the opposite of her soulmate. She only gave her a small bow that didn’t seem very sincere at all. For a number of reasons Park Siyeon was never fond of her, and while it could be a bit annoying, she couldn’t really do anything about it – Siyeon was Kang Kyungwon’s best friend and apparently a very protective one. How ironic that she had find her own soulmate when she came around to snoop the bookstore and give Yaebin dirty looks under the excuse of looking for new books for college.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to see you…two. But isn’t it a bit early for a visit on a Saturday?”

“Siyeon has something to give to you and Minkyung unnie!” It was Yerim who responded, before starting a small rant about everything she had bought for her beloved unnie as well.

Yaebin had to refrain from frowning, only then noticing the small package on Park’s hand. She wondered if Choi had obligated the girl to try to be more friendly towards them, but something told her that it wasn’t the case.

She was about to invite them to sit down and get them some breakfast, when Park finally spoke. “We have to visit my parents, so we are kind of in a rush.” She didn’t look even half disappointed for not being able to stay longer – as expected. She handed her the package with a firm look. “Kyungwon unnie asked me to give this to you. It’s no big deal so just accept it.”

Things made much more sense now, that girl wouldn’t simply have picked her a gift out of nowhere. The Kang nodded, accepting the item as Yerim proceed to hand her out a bunch of random gifts that she had bought everywhere in Japan, ignoring completely the mood. “Here, unnie! I hope you and Minkyung like it. Call me when you eat a bit of everything and let me know what you thought about it.”

Thanking the girl and receiving a final hug, the couple was out of there in a matter of minutes. Yaebin shook her head, carefully laying down Yerim’s gifts to focus in the one Park had gave her. She glanced at the direction of her room, confirming Minkyung wasn’t up yet before opening the package.

She found a small note on top of a bigger envelope.

“Yaebin, I know this is a bit sudden, but I thought it would be more appropriate to have you seen this before Minkyung does. I would appreciate if you could forward it to her, but I’ll understand if you don’t.”

It had Kyungwon’s signature, confirming what Siyeon had told her already.

Hesitating for a moment, she opened the envelope to check its content. Yaebin frowned slightly. There was a short story draw with Kyungwon’s usual style – one that she got to meet thanks to Minkyung’s manhwa collection –, along with a letter and an official looking document. She decided to start for the latter. It was an official notice, guarantying that anything wrote by Minkyung would get properly promoted for a big publishing company – Minky’s company. Yaebin had no idea how much one had to pay for this kind of stuff, but she had the feeling that it wasn’t cheap. She knew it was possible to publish a book without paying for it, if you found someone willing to do so and she didn’t doubt Minky could do it, however it might be a good way of encouraging her to finally try.

Yaebin’s lips curved in a small smile. The fellow Kang indeed knew Minkyung all too well. She proceed to check the other items that only confirmed what she had thought before.

With a small sigh, she carefully placed everything back into the envelope and head back to the room. Minkyung was already up when she reached it, sat on the edge of the bed. “Yaebs? What happened? It’s so early.” She greeted, pointing out the clock on the nightstand that showed that it wasn’t even 9 a.m. yet.

“Yerim came back from her trip and stopped by to drop some souvenirs she bought. And Siyeon came along.” She said, approaching the girl and handing her the envelope. Minky looked at her with a confused expression, for what she only shrugged. “Go ahead. She said Kyungwon sent this to you.”

Minky’s eyes grew a bit wider as she grasped the envelope on her hands. Kyungwon hadn’t contact her ever since the break up, not even answering her calls or texts, and she started to think she never would, but now this?

“I’ll give you some privacy while I fix breakfast for us.” Yaebin gave her a smile, kissing her cheek before leaving her alone.

With clumsy motions Kim unfolded the letter, her eyes recognizing Kyungwon’s handwriting right away. She sighed, giving a small, fond smile as she read.

“Dear Minkyungie,

It’s been a while, right? I’m sorry for leaving like that. I hope you can forgive me for this and see that it was for the best after all. I know Yewon kept her word and kept you update about my whereabouts. Worrying you was never my intention, I just needed some time away.

It’s spring now. You know, the most popular season in animes and manga? I came to Japan to check it for myself and it’s indeed beautiful. You would’ve liked it. For a while I hated this time of the year, but I guess I can learn to appreciate it again.

Siyeon and Yerim are with me. These kids are surely noisy, but I have to admit that things are more fun when they are around. They’ll be back home soon, as for me I don’t know yet. Sungyeon says I’m causing her trouble being all over the place, but I think it is helping me to create my new stories.

I’m still waiting for your first book. You told me so about so many ideas, don’t hesitate and bring it to life! I’m sending something with this, please accept it. I bought it using the ring I kept on my office, I know you saw it and you knew it was for you, so this is also yours one way or another. I’m sorry for taking so long to give it to you, took me a long time to decide how I could do it and finally I found a way to make it reach you. Please don’t look at it as my last gift for you, but as my first for you and Yaebin and make good use of it.

Yewon doesn’t tell me much about you, I asked her to not. Childish, I know, but that’s me. I thought that by cutting you off my life completely I’d be able to kick you out of my heart as well. Can’t say it went that well, but I think it gave me the time I needed to get myself together. I’m doing fine now (really!) and I hope you are okay as well. I hope you can read this with a smile on your face and write me back sometime. I would like to know how things are going, your plans for the future and even to hear about Yaebin, this time as your best friend who can feel  happy for you.

I don’t know if we can ever go back to being best friends, it seem kind of a stretch, no? But I’ve been thinking about it a lot and I just wanted you to know that whenever I think about you, I only have good memories to cherish. I didn’t get the chance of telling you that day, but I’m also glad that you were in my in life.

So don’t feel pressured to answer this letter, we have our own paths to follow and it’s okay if they lead to separate ways. I think its about time we’ve a proper closure.

The drawing that accompanies the letter has a special meaning and I know you’ll be able to understand it. At first I thought about getting rid of it, but now I understand that it still fits us well.

With love, Kyungwon.

P.S.: I went with Kongie to that nice hotel I had told you about, he loved it! I’ll email you some pictures of him in case you miss him.”

Kyungwon was right, by the end of it she had a huge smile on her face, albeit her eyes were slightly red due to the tears.

Putting the letter aside, she looked at the certificate and shook her head slightly. Typical Kyungwon, pushing her to do what she wasn’t brave enough to do alone. However, the drawing was what caught her attention. It was a simple story, just a couple of frames about a fox and an otter – her chest tighten when she recognized the characters. Kyungwon had showed her a different story before, it was about the characters arguing because the otter was always getting into trouble and the fox had to save her every time. This one had a different tone, it wasn’t only about their usual dynamics. It was about hunters invading the forest they lived on and menacing them, they had to move away fast, but the otter wanted to go to a warm place while the fox thought a colder place would be the best option. They had little time to argue and had to decide faster whether going separate ways or if they should just stick together and hope for the best. The otter decided for the latter, telling the fox that she needed to stay with her so she could hear the hunters first and keep her safe although both knew the otter was as scared as the fox, still the fox was glad for having the otter with her. It ended with them running away together.

The heartwarming little story was enough to send her tears running down her face, although she would wipe them right away with her free hand afraid it could damage the drawing. Her tears were both, sorrowful for knowing what that story originally meant, and happy for knowing that Kyungwon was willing to come back into her life. There are many forms of love, and no doubt there was still much love between the two of them, even if it wasn’t as it used to be, it was as valuable.

She would keep the drawing safe with her, just like she kept all of their other memories. Minkyung would most definitely call her best friend and tell her to come back home already.

Yaebin shouted from the kitchen, informing that the food was ready and Minkyung stood up, carefully storing everything back inside the envelope before putting it on her bag. “On my way!” and she head there with a hopeful heart.

 


 

“What now?” Kyla asked as they watched the scene of Kyungwon writing through the glass window of the library, a simple wave of hands making the image disappear.

“I have good plan for it this time, as long as some people don’t interfere.” Sungyeon gave Nayoung a stingy look, receiving an eye roll in return. The youngest duo was rather childish in Kyla’s opinion.

“Do as you please, she has plenty of time thanks to you anyway.”

“She can’t do much, the council is not very happy with her antics.” Nayoung said in her typical monotone voice.

Sungyeon gave her a piercing look. “Still, even if I can’t personally do it, doesn’t mean it can’t be done.”

“Are you asking me a favor?” The Im replied, raising a questioning eyebrow.

Bae crossed her arms, her brown gaze sharp. “You owe me one, is very different.”

It was Death’s turn to roll her eyes. “Just do your work, Nayoung. For all of them.” She might not be able to feel much – if anything at all –, but she could understand the basic feelings and how they seem to rule humans and even her younger colleagues sometimes. “As for Sungyeon, she will be helping me out as part of her punishment.” She gave the shorter girl a smirk – maybe she wasn’t completely insensible to feelings.

With a snort, Bae checked her own watch. “We better getting going then. Tell Kyulkyung I said hi.” This was her goodbye before disappearing into mist. Nayoung didn’t pay much attention to her after all she was used to it by now. Kyla was less abrupt, giving her a slightly nod of head before following Sungyeon.

Nayoung’s newly discovered pettiness demanded her to ignore the other’s requests as a form of punishment for her petulance, but she took her work too seriously to do so. She had to take a lot into consideration before fixing things, If she could even do it.

Kyulkyung’s steps could be heard coming from the back of library and Im turned to face her. “So, did you pick it?”

“I guess…No, I’m sure. Can you really do that for me?”

Im sighed. She could do so much for her noise, yet reliable and sweet assistant, but she wouldn’t say it out loud. “Yes. Give me the names.”

The raven haired assistant handed her a small note with two names and birth dates written on it. Nayoung touched it carefully, closing her eyes for a moment before nodding. “I suppose it’s the right order?” She pointed out the first name and Kyul nodded. “We should go then.” Offering her arm for the younger woman to hold, she prepared to start her journey to fix yet another mistake.  

 

 


 

A/N: And that’s a wrap! Writing both endings was quite a challenge and I hope it was worth it.

I will probably do a couple of bonus chapters for this story. Tell me what you would want to see, Napink? Kyulwoo? Maybe even the maknae couples? I might do it so who knows.

Thanks to everyone who supported this story, it was a very nice experience for me and I hope it was for you too.

I also have another pristin fic (and some from other fandoms) on going and I’ll be back with more 2kyung fics in the future, so keep an eye out for it if you like.

If you have any doubts or comments, feel free to message me here or on twitter at @uncreativeacc. Thanks again for reading, see you next time <3

 

P.S.: In case you are curious regarding the timelines and goddess, you can check this link for information.