One!

The day we met
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I still remember everything as if it was yesterday. The soft sound of raindrops hitting the hard pavement, the smell of wet grass and the taste of that chocolate bar I was eating. It was late in the afternoon and people were going back to their respective homes after a long day at work. I wasn’t tired, I hadn’t had class that day and I didn’t need to head back quickly. I wasn’t in a hurry. I’d always loved to watch water falling and people showing unusual reactions when it’s raining. It’s interesting to see almost everyone in town carrying different types of umbrellas and walking fast to reach the first vehicle they find. I’ve taken thousands of pictures during rainy days; mostly when water is pouring heavily and clouds look gray enough to make all other colors stand out.

That late afternoon was just like that, perfect for pictures. Perfect for a photography student with nothing to do. Perfect for me. I was just sitting on one of those benches under the glass roof of the bus stop - with no more chocolate left -, watching, when something out of the ordinary happened. It was you, running fast to reach your bus. Unlike the others, you weren’t carrying any umbrella and your pink soft-looking sweater was getting drenched. I could see water dropping from it and from your ash-blond locks, and I started imagining stories about you, about what could have happened in order for you not to carry an umbrella. The bus didn’t wait for you and, as it drove away, it splashed dirty water on you. No one did anything, they just stared. I saw you cursing lowly and then you surrendered and came to sit by my side on the bench.

The streets of Seoul were busy and noisy, but I couldn’t hear anything, just raindrops. My camera was hanging from my neck though I momentarily forgot about it. I was there, looking at you, admiring your handsome face. Your nose specially caught my attention. It isn’t common, you know? You have a very unique nose. I may have stared at it a bit too long that afternoon but you didn’t say anything. You pretended you didn’t see me though I knew better. Having someone’s eyes on you isn’t something that can go unnoticed.

I wanted to talk, to say hi, but I couldn’t. For some strange reason, I couldn’t. I wished to offer my umbrella to you but your presence made me incapable of moving. And you weren’t moving either. You eyes were fixed on the floor, you seemed... ashamed. Your black backpack was hanging loosely from one of your shoulders and I thought maybe you were trying to get to a night class but you failed to do it. We stayed there, sitting in silence for minutes. People around us walked, sat, stood up, checked the time on their wristwatches or cellphones though we weren’t doing anything in particular, just sitting there.

As minutes kept on passing, I decided to take some photos. I didn’t want to make you feel uncomfortable and I knew I had stared enough at your manly face. Maybe I might or might not have taken one or two pictures of you, pretending I was trying to capture the crowd around us. It was a silly attitude for a 23 year old man but I was sure we wouldn’t see each other ever again and I wanted to have a memory of you. After an hour, hour an a half, your hair was no longer wet and your clothes were getting dry slowly. Your sweater was ruined. I knew it because I’ve always done my laundry and those stains were too dark. You turned to glance at me for the first time that evening and you flashed me a confused look. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?” you asked and my ears melted when I heard your deep voice. I almost failed to answer though I regained my composure and shook my head.

“I’m free today” I told you. “How about you?” I was sure you did but I decided to ask anyway. I wouldn’t lose anything by trying and, since you were the one starting the conversation, I wanted to go on. I was feeling hopeful maybe we’d see each other again some day after a short talk.

“I had somewhere to be but I gave up” you said, letting out the longest sigh I’d ever heard. “I’m sorry for asking such a question... I was wondering why you weren’t leaving” of course you noticed I was looking at you and maybe you also noticed about the photos, but I just pretended I was innocent. After those words, you didn’t open your mouth anymore and I wanted to say something but, once again, I was immobile.

Darkness started covering the city after a while and the artificial light of the streets illuminated us. There were still people walking around though less each minute. My stomach was softly growling and I thought maybe I should just give up on you like you did on your previous destiny and go grab some dinner. I was about to stand up when you suddenly cleared your throat and turned to look at me with those double lidded eyes I found so gorgeous. “Do you have to go?” you asked, surprising me big time. ‘What is he trying to do?’ I had wondered. I remember how nervous I had gotten but I shook my head anyway, wishing to hear more of what you had to say. “Would you mind having dinner with me? I’m hungry and... well, I hate eating alone” your words seemed unreal to me though everything was 100% real, I knew it. Everything was too clear to be a dream.

“That would be nice” I answered, flashing you a soft smile. “I’m hungry too” I added and we both stood up, walking side by side under my umbrella and heading to the nearest chicken restaurant. “By the way” I interrupted the slightly awkward silence. I could feel your awkwardness and I didn’t like that so I said the first thing that came into my mind. “I’m Yoo Kihyun” I shook your hand with my free hand and you chuckled, showing me a glimpse of those cute - lightly crooked - teeth.

“Im Changkyun” you replied. “I’m sorry for this. I don’t usually invite strangers for dinner but I seriously don’t want to return to my dorm yet” you made me laugh with that and, at that moment, I could imagine your sorrow was related to an exam. “I couldn’t get to my exam on time and I’ve just failed a very important subject” you sighed and I could feel your pain since we were both studying. “I know my best friend will scold me and I’m not ready to face hell” you told me everything I had been wondering for hours while sitting under the roof of the bus stop.

“Don’t worry, those things happen” I said, trying to contain myself from asking more questions. You would have surely thought I was some creep if I had asked too many things and I wouldn’t have liked that. “I had missed plenty of exams during my life” that was a lie but what could I say when you were looking so sad about it?

“Seriously?” you didn’t seem to believe me but I nodded anyway. If I told you it was a lie, you wouldn’t have trusted me and I didn’t want that. “You must be used to it, then...” you were staring at the wet sidewalk while you walked, avoiding my eyes. “It’s my first time missing something important” you said, looking even sadder than before. The restaurant was just a few steps away from us and, when we reached the door, you opened it for me. I quickly closed my umbrella and got in, being immediately followed by you. Your clothes were drying slowly and the stains on your sweater were even more visible. Everyone turned to glance curiously at you. I knew they were wondering what happened, just like I had done a while ago. I could sense your embarrassment right away so I decided to point at a table which was not far from us. We sat down and ordered something. We were extremely hungry and our stomachs were starting to growl. “So, you are a photographer?” you talked after a few seconds of awkwardly avoiding eye contact.

“Yes, but just a student” I replied and drank some of the water the waitress gave us. “What are you studying?” I asked because I was curious and I knew it would be good to chat about something if we wanted to have a good time during our dinner.

“I’m studying to become a scientist” your answer surprised me at that moment and I wasn’t wrong when I thought you were surely smart. “But I’m not sure if I’ll ever become one” you seemed pretty pessimistic about everything though I’ve learned - not so long ago - that you are just too strict and you have very high standards.

“Hey, don’t say that. Missing one exam isn’t such a big deal” I tried to help you feel better and, before you could say something, the waitress came back with our fried chicken. The smell was so tempting so I didn’t think much and dug in.

“It is a big deal to me” you said while I taking a bite of that delicious wing. “I’ve studied for two weeks and I only fell asleep because my cellphone died before my alarm rang” your explanation made me understand your sorrow and I thought maybe you weren’t exaggerating that much. “I’ve been sleeping so little... I just needed two hours” you covered your face with your palms and I had to leave the chicken wing on my plate because it didn’t feel right to be eating when you were clearly trying your best not to cry. “I must look so pathetic right now” you murmured but I heard you perfec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter