Under The Stars

Under The Stars

 

 

With such splendor
Your star shines
Amongst the million others

It was such a tiring evening, I pondered as I loosen up my neck tie. I hate closing deals especially if the client is a she. Ugh I had to comply to their irrelevant requests.

Including accepting their friend requests on Facebook.

Okay how the would I search her among these thousands of friend requests on my account? I know I'm a great catch (blame my handsome face) but I'm not interested in anyone as of the moment. I'll just let them pile up for my attention until they get tired and cursed me for being a jerk. They throw a fit when they don't get what they want. Girls. They're all the same, that's why I can't trust them.

Another thing that I noticed, was this certain event where I got tagged, causing me to get thousands of notifications.

"Changmin, why did you tag me in an event?"

I called the only person I know who can do this.

"Eh? You finally opened your Facebook? That's strange."

"A client of mine told me to accept his friend request or the deal's off." I took off my coat and sighed. "You know I'm too busy to attend such events like that."

"Aww come on hyung! I'll get you the best telescope of my team!"

"Oh, you mean the one I donated?" I sneered.

"Well, it wouldn't hurt for you to try your donated telescope right?"

"Let's see if I have schedule this saturday night."

I looked at my empty desk; it was usually full with folders ready to be signed but surprisingly

"No you don't! I called your secretary just now."

"You sly brat."

"So you'll be coming?"

"N-"

"I'll pick you up this saturday, 12pm sharp at your house."

I scoffed. "Why would you pick me up? I'll go there with my car."

"No you won't."

"Huh?"

"We got a tour bus booked already, and you are required to join us."

"What?"

Changmin let out a whine. "Aw come on, I'll have to cater with your pride?"

"Then I won't be joining. You know I hate too much people."

"You will enjoy this as much as I do."

I could only roll my eyes.

"You rolled your eyes."

"Okay, the did you know that?"

"I'm genius like that."

 

 

Saturdays for me were usually filled with field itineraries checking construction sites or casual meetings with valued clients. So what am I doing here?

"Why is Jung Yunho joining a stargazing event?"

"Is he going on a meeting? He's wearing formal clothes."

Well sorry folks, I was forced. I don't wear much casual clothes, I always end up with tie and coat. That's normal, for me. Fashion .

Changmin came in sight, shaking his head in dismay. Those people gossiping over me turned out to be his colleagues. "What's with your clothes? We're not going on a conference meeting."

After few minutes, he came back to me with a set of casual clothes. "Wear this, hyung."

Good thing the restroom's nearby so I quickly change my clothes.

"Now that's perfect."

I wouldn't deny I look too good in casual clothes.

 

 

The campsite is on Yeongyang Firefly Eco Park, located in local suburbs outside Seoul. I think we had to travel 3-4 hours away from the city. I was situated on the far side of the tour bus, away from the astronomy enthusiasts. Now where is that Shim Changmin? I think he's assigned to be in the other bus. That , I don't know anyone here.

More people entered the bus. I looked around and soon, I was surrounded by couples holding hands and leaning on each others' warmth.

I hate buses. Why did they invent two seats?

Bus is ready to take off but my seatmate is still not in sight. Fine by me, no disturbance. Both seats are mine!

My enthusiasm died when someone's flesh hit my knee. It's a man.

"Oops, sorry!"

The bus suddenly moved, causing him to accidentally sit on my lap. Again, it moved forward resulting his bum to rub towards my front. I felt him suddenly tensed, he must've been feeling up the hardness on his . I can't help it, okay? It's too soft. "Oh my gosh I'm so sorry--Whoa!"

When he stood up and turned around, the bus moved again. Our faces were few inches away from each other's. I couldn't deny but this guy is too pretty to be a man. I don't know if it was just me or his doe eyes were shining. He has this milky fair skin that would make everyone envy of his beauty. No pores too, just completely flawless. I don't think he wears any make-up, but there's a tint of redness on his cheek. And not to mention the lips--that red plump lips. He smelled vanilla and cinnamon, I approve.

After settling his things, he turned to sit beside me... next to the window. So he's my seatmate, alright. I'm trying my best not to steal glances but I had to look at the window to see the road. And I'm seeing his reflection on the glass.

 

 

"We'll do a roll call okay?"

When it was my turn, I just raised my hand.

"Kim Jaejoong!"

"Me!"

So he's called by the name Kim Jaejoong.

The roll call ended and proceeded to orient the people about the event. According to the weather report, we can expect clear skies tonight so no worries. It's summer anyway, only 5% of probability to rain.

"Hi!"

I just nodded.

"Are you still mad 'cos I hit your knee? Or because I sat on you?"

"I'm not mad, this is my usual self."

He hummed in response. "Okay... so how old are you, Jung Yunho-ssi?"

Why is he suddenly conversing to me?

"I'm 33."

"You're older than me! I'll call you hyung, okay?"

I just ignored him and played with my phone. I know I shouldn't worry about my work now because I'm currently on vacation but the stubborn person I was, I still looked at the unread emails.

"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a CEO."

"Me too, I'm a CEO!"

"Don't take it as a joke. I handle Jung Corporation."

I heard him gasp. "Well, that's one hell of a big company! I only handle a small restaurant though."

When he didn't hear anything from me, he shook his head and played with his fingers on his lap. "Am I that talkative? I'm sorry, I'm getting bored and I can't stop talking."

"I'm more of a listener, so I don't talk too much unless I voice out my opinions. So don't get offended." I smiled--wow when did I learn how to smile? Lol how can I not smile when this pretty man beside me is sulking cutely.

One thing I learned about Kim Jaejoong, everything's natural on him. Even that shining eyes.

 

 

Soon, the bus halted for a quick stop-over. Everyone were given a chance to eat, take the restroom and a quick break. I don't feel like going to the restroom so I just remained seated.

I looked up at everyone munching their snack. I forgot I didn't pack that much.

A white plastic came into my sight. Jaejoong just offered me his food. "Jung-ssi, I got extra kimbap roll." He must have seen me longing for food, so embarrassing. "It's okay, I--"

"No, just take it! I think I packed too much food."

I don't see anything wrong with his food, unless it doesn't match with my taste.

"Stupid Shim, I thought they got catering." I mumbled my thanks as I grabbed the plastic and opened the foil. The kimbap roll was nicely sliced. Jaejoong watched me as I put a piece on my mouth.

"This is good. Where did you buy this?"

He smiled at my reaction. "I made it myself."

"Oh. You're a great cook." His bright eyes lit more.

"Of course, I work in a restaurant."

He's the CEO but he's still hands-on managing the restaurant. Hmm, I'm starting to think what to invest on his business.

After that quick break, we're back on the road. We're halfway there, so the coordinator gave us a brief summary of the rules and regulations on the campsite.

"Confirming your tent mates, please sign beside your name."

When the paper was passed on us, I found my name next to his. "We're tent mates?"

"Is that a bad thing?"

"I never shared a bed with anyone."

I saw his eyes lit in surprise, and it was so adorable. What's with this guy? "Oh so you're not yet married?"

"Why did you ask?"

He laughed, and it was the best laugh I've ever heard in my entire life. "'Cos you always look like you just had a divorce."

We both signed on the paper and handed it back.

Jaejoong nudged me by the arm, "One thing for sure, I don't snore."

He's starting to get cuter. I inwardly laughed.

 

 

We arrived at the area around 3pm and we had to trek our way up to the campsite. Good thing I was wearing rubber shoes fit for trekking. Jaejoong was struggling going up because he brought a large bag. He said it's his first time attending a camp like this. We're just going to stay for a night tho.

I helped him carry his things out of pity. I don't know why does he have to hold my hand (maybe because he said he's not used to climb mountains) but to my surprise, I didn't let him go. His small hand feels so warm and comforting.

As soon as we got to the mountainous landscape, I let go of his hand. "Thank you for your help." That moment feels so awkward. Changmin saw us and I immediately approached him.

"Shim! I thought I have my own tent?"

"Who's your tent mate?"

"The one I'm sitting with."

As if on cue, Jaejoong came in sight and greeted Changmin. "Oh, Kim Jaejoong! Glad you came!"

"Hello, Changmin-ssi!"

Changmin turned to me. "I met him at his restaurant, I swear you'll gonna love his cooking!"

"He praised my kimbap roll." Jaejoong gushed.

Back to the topic, he asked me again. "Who's your tent mate again?"

Jaejoong raised his hand happily. "Me! We're tent mates!"

Changmin's sneering is so annoying. "You got the jackpot, hyung!"

What jackpot is he talking about? Tsk.

The team provided tents for the participants, but I've never tried setting up a tent. Neither Jaejoong. I called Changmin to assist us.

I observed the whole vicinity. There's a forest nearby, but it's a restricted area.

I looked at my watch and it says 6pm. The sky is turning into a great pastel shade, consisting of scarlet, sky blue, purple and rose pink. Soon, it's getting dark and fireflies were struggling to reproduce light when they have to compete with our artificial electric light.

When we finished dinner, the organizers are starting to lecture us about astronomy. The lights went off. The fireflies were starting to creep up on us. It looks magical. Fireflies added an extra spice to the already beautiful starry sky Everyone got distracted on the glowing fireflies, especially Jaejoong. He gets excited over small things, like he's back in his childhood. So cute--

What the hell am I saying to a guy?

"The night has just started! It's time!"

Everyone cheered.

I nudged Changmin, "Time for what?"

"Shower party, duh."

The night gets darker but the sky is full with twinkling stars and vast milky ways. People are starting to get excited as they hover around their own telescopes. My partner--I mean Jaejoong started to get excited too as he tried to maneuver the big telescope in front of us.

"Do you know how to use it?" I asked.

"Uh, not really." He smiled sheepishly, rubbing his nape on embarrassment.

The telescope was facing the wrong direction so I moved the lens upwards. In line with that, I had to touch the whole telescope. So my arms were wrapped on his, I can feel him trembling.

"It's not facing the right direction."

"Y-yes..."

We stayed like that for few minutes. I like this posture actually, it's so warm and comforting.

"Y-Yunho-ssi..."

"Oh?"

"Your arms... are around me."

"Oh... sorry." I immediately moved away.

Yunho, bad move. I think he's trembling in fear.

I tried to explain myself. "I was just adjusting the telescope, I don't mean to hug you or anything." Yay, I managed to make a fool out of myself. Jung Yunho, you're not like this in your corporate meetings!

My heart skipped a beat. That was the first time I heard his laugh. That melodious giggle of his.

"You don't have to explain yourself." He tends to cover his mouth with the back of his hand whenever he laughed. His eyes were also twinkling, like those stars and fireflies.

 

 

Minutes later, I was just watching the night sky like everybody.

Okay fine I was watching Jaejoong the whole time. I don't know, his facial reactions were so amusing to me.

"Stargazing has nothing to do your career, so why are you here?" I suddenly asked.

He answered me without looking. "Same as you. What are you doing here?"

Jaejoong gestured me to peek at the telescope, so I bent down. "Well obviously, Shim forced me to attend."

Maybe I should purchase my own telescope. I think I just saw a planet. Or it's just a rock? "But actually, it's not that bad. I might buy my own telescope."

"My parents told me when a person dies, he or she turns into a star. It's their reincarnation."

"But they fade away."

"They were given a chance to live, so that they could be cherished."

Moments later, Jaejoong shouted something that made everyone go frantic.

"Oh! Shooting stars!"

Upon hearing Jaejoong's words, everyone fumbled with their telescopes and screamed to see thousand of meteors across the sky. One of the core group said the Lyrids meteor shower has started to show up. I admit, it was a great sight. I have never see anything like this before.

I looked at Jaejoong beside me and saw him praying.

"You're seriously making a wish? They're just meteors." I snorted.

"You'll lose nothing if you would just believe."

 

 

After that activity, the team wrapped it up. We entered our own tents to get some sleep before sunrise. I looked at Jaejoong who was anxiously laid down on the other side of the makeshift bed. Are we really going to sleep together? I mean, lying down next to each other.

I took the windbreaker off my body and laid down beside him. With that close proximity between us, I can feel him trembling again.

"Yunho-ssi.."

"What?"

"I know this is too sudden but... c-could you please hold my hand? I'm kinda scared."

"Sure."

We held hands just like earlier when we're trekking our way up to the camp. Lord, what are you doing to me? Are you testing me?

 

In the middle of my sleep, I heard him mumbled him something. Then the warmth on my hand was snatched away. I heard the zipper of the tent and the coldness outside came seeping in.

I feel cold. Someone took my warmth away.

My eyes fluttered open, only to see an empty space beside me. Where is that Kim Jaejoong?

I called Shim, glad he answered immediately. "Have you seen Kim Jaejoong?"

I was greeted with curses on the other line. "Ugh how would I know?! You just interrupted my sleep!"

"He's missing!"

 

 

The core group, together with Changmin helped me searching for Kim Jaejoong. We avoided any sort of commotion so we didn't let anybody know someone's missing. He must have entered the forest.

I don't know why I feel anxious. What the hell is that guy thinking?

"Jaejoong!" I shouted as I go further the forest. "Kim Jaejoong!"

A fainted voice was heard. There, sitting on a big rock across the river was Jaejoong. "Y-Yunho!"

"Where the did you go?! We're worried sick about you!" I gave him my windbreaker.

"Sorry, I just took a long walk on this forest. Actually I just went to the comfort room. And then, I got lost. I can't go back to the campsite."

"Don't do that again! You're making me worried."

I saw his eyes lit up upon hearing my words. I, too, was shocked.

"Y-you're worried... for me?" I watched him as his hands fumble on the string of his hoodie. "O-of course I am! You're my tent mate, you're my responsibility." The I said what?

The view was breathtaking. It's like, Jaejoong was a forest goddess who just come out of the woods. The fact that his alabaster skin was visible on the dark, I can see him blushing hard.

"Yunho..."

"Oh?"

"I think I like you."

OMG .

"I-It's okay if you don't return back my feelings. I know it's ridiculous since we only met this afternoon but..."

"Let's make it work."

I, too was surprised on my words.

"Eh?"

"I think I do... too."

 

 

5 years later...

D-DAY. Time to grant my wish on our 5th year.

Jaejoong thought tonight was just an ordinary midnight road trip, but I got bigger plans. A week before, I prepared everything.

I'm nervous as hell. What if he doesn't accept it?

Ugh I'll save the insecurities for later after I get rejected.

Yes, I'm going to propose to my one and only.

And he will definitely say yes to me, I claim it.

 

 

We're now in my car and slowly approaching the campsite. Jaejoong looked around. He must have recognized the place where I took him.

"Oh? I know this place."

"What do you think?"

"This is the campsite where we first met!"

With the help of Changmin and his colleagues, we decorated the campsite and turned it into a cozy one. There's the big telescope we used from the camp before. The fireflies were dancing around us, so I turned off the lamp and depended on theirs instead.

Before, Jaejoong wasn't used to manipulate the telescope but now he navigates it all by himself.

How will I start this?

Jaejoong paused what he was doing and noticed my anxious self. I tend to tap my feet whenever I get anxious. He must have heard it.

"L-let's just sit down first. I'm kinda nervous."

"What would you be nervous about?"

"I have a lot to say, but I don't know where to start."

"Go on, I'm listening." Jaejoong gave me an assured smile.

"I'm glad I chose to go to the camp five years ago rather than meeting clients, if not then I wouldn't be staying here with you. " Jaejoong's giggles sent somersaults in my heart. "At first, I found your talkative self annoying but you chose to be you. Usually, I get in rage whenever someone nudge me in the knee or share my space with anyone. Sure, we fought a lot of times but you never give up on us. I'm thankful to have you in my life, baby." I reached for his hand and kissed it lovingly. I could feel himself trembling in excitement. I cupped his face between my hands and grazed my lower lip on his cheek.

"Be mine."

There goes his cute giggles making me melt inside. "Of course I'm yours, since the beginning."

"No, I mean..." I finally had the courage to pull out the small red velvet box and kneeled in front of him. "Forever." I took his hand and kissed it. "Let's get married."

Jaejoong was stunned at my marriage proposal. "A-are you serious?" I chuckled and nodded.

"No return, no exchange?"

"Never."

The ring slipped perfectly on his finger. I can see his watering eyes as he smiled at the ring. He's glowing in love, for me.

I stood up and kissed him senseless under the night sky. As stunning as the stars above, Jaejoong was sparkling. "I love you so much baby."

 

 

Not too far from us, I saw Changmin and his colleagues were watching us. I hope they didn't hear any of my proposal speech, especially Changmin 'cos he's a bully brat. I gestured them to come over and they congratulated us. If not for them, I wouldn't be able to meet Jaejoong.

Especially the universe.

 

 

end.