Chapter 01

Conspiracy

 

*

“I hope that you’ll rot in hell, you nasty little freak!”

I can feel the rising heat that’s swirling around my chest. I am so mad, I have difficulty breathing. I am practically gasping for air as I glare at this freak that’s ignoring my curses and staring at the piece of paper in his hands. My throat is so sore and dry from all the shouting.

“How dare you!” Another younger freak that stands below the small flight of stairs hissed at me.

I turned to glare at him, “Shut up! Stupid servant.” I guess his identity and spat at him. I will never believe this is it, the things that I’m encountering right now… What rubbish.

“Jung Yumi.”

I smirk as soon as I hear my name from his dirty mouth and the servant immediately collected the anger from his face and retreated. This man that sits above the flight of stairs must be their ‘leader’. “Oh… So now you’re willing to talk?” I say sarcastically and he looked at me, for the first time.

Damn it. He would be a good catch if he wasn’t in hell.

The ‘leader’ smiled, as if hearing my thoughts and then turned back to the piece of paper that he has been studying for the past 20 minutes or so ever since I died. Yeah, I died. I’m dead. Dead…

Well they told me I was dead and that I have to wait here for the final verdict on whether I move on or stay. Like, would anyone believe it? So I did what was normal and started crying and shouting curses and all the vulgarities that I had learned for the past 23 years of my life.

“You’re still dead.” That stupid servant had mumbled.

“Jung Yumi.” The ‘leader’ calls. “You shall not stay, neither should you move on.” And he threw the piece of paper down the flight of stairs where it rolled up to my feet.

‘Year of J 330’ is what I see, first thing on the titled piece of paper.

The servant bowed and picked the piece of paper, throwing me a tongue in a split second. I am so infuriated with all this mess. I was given no more words other than ‘You’re dead and blah blah what not.’

“What the hell!? And that’s it?” I snatch the piece of paper away from the servant and pushed him away, causing him to stumble and fall. I ran up the flight of stairs with the paper in one hand and see that the ‘leader’ is watching me nonchalantly, not a tiny bit irritated by my behavior.

At first it went human speed and then things started slowing down, like a matrix. This place that I am at is not well lit and it is so empty. It felt like a wide space with nothing else except for the servant, the leader, the flight of stairs, the piece of paper and… me.

I bring back my gaze to the ‘leader’, he is only a step away from me but my body couldn’t move any further and the matrix made it seem as though time stopped. My body is so light and the only thing I could hear in this utterly slow matrix is my heartbeat. How could I be dead…?

“You’re a strong person, a kind one too. But your protection mask makes you forget who you really are. I hope you learn from this trip. Your memory is my only gift.”

‘*’

“Wake up… wake up!”

Yes I’m awake… I shook away the hand that’s violently shaking my shoulders. I don’t open my eyes but I show a big frown and a low grumble. “Yumi!” Her voice sounded very urgent and a little bit scared.

“What…?” I answer impatiently and brought a hand to my eye. The brightness is blinding me.

“Yumi, we’re the remaining ones…” She hesitates to continue and I rub my eyes, slowly taking in the brightness. I see a woman, a pretty woman. Like, idol pretty. My goodness…! I smile at the sight of her and she eyes me with a worried look. “Yumi…?” She calls.

It is only when her voice sounded again, that I really took a good look. She is wearing a thin but tight light blue satin dress. All the way from her shoulders to her ankle, the dress is so flowy and soft. Both of us then halted abruptly and I turned to look again. We’re caged in... a carriage?

OH MY GOD!

“WHAT IS THIS!?” I shouted and stood up but was bumped head against the cage that is locking us in. The girl that is being locked with me brought a hand to cover my mouth and the look of fear on her face is so contagious I started to shiver and look left and right unknowingly. There were numerous eyes around us, all of them outside of the cage. They are pinpointing at us, some with lecherous look on their faces, some with despise and some with anger.

But the thing is, they are all wearing ancient clothings.

OH MY GOD…

I brought my hands to remove her palm that is covering my mouth and she starts observing me for a second longer before allowing me to pry her hands off. “Where… am I?” I manage a squeak and I feel something churning inside me. My legs are so weak I can’t feel them, it has gone numb and I looked at my hands. My manicured fingernails no longer there, my scar on my right index finger from the fall at age 7 is no longer there… my hands instinctively found its way to my face and right then, I vomited and out.

.

.

.

You never know what life has in stall for you. It might be better if I was born perhaps 500 years after the year of 2018. Maybe the technology would be so good and that I wouldn’t even freak out seeing flying cars or a robotic maid when I woke up. But this!!! What the hell did the man do to me? I remembered nothing except for his words, ‘Your memory is my only gift.’

I don’t even need it. What can I do with it!? Would all this ancient people know about the magnificent produce 101!? Or would they know that bangtan’s music entered billboard!? Would they be entertained if I danced to Gee!?

“Yumi…” That same girl is calling me again and I’m here pretending to be asleep for the past… hour? I have a fear of taking in what is in stall for me right now. I know where I am, somewhere back in history. I don’t know who I am because this body isn’t mine. “Yumi…!”

Shut up please, I’m trying to think…! The door opens and I could feel the girl’s hand freezes, I froze too, not even daring to breathe.

“Back to your room!” Another woman ordered, her voice a little husky and dominating.

The girl grabbed onto my arm and all I could hear was her desperate sobbing. The next moment I heard a few heavy footsteps and it felt as though her hand was forcefully removed away from me. “Mama Jing! Please…!” She begged and begged until her voice disappeared in the cold air and I’m left alone with this Mama Jing.

“Get up, stop pretending.” Mama Jing ordered and I continue to pretend.

I hear a snicker from her and then the next instant, a sharp piercing slash sink into the flesh of my arm. I bolted up right away due to the pain and held onto my arm whimpering. Damn it, that piercing slash felt like my arm is going to fall off any moment. What a . I glared at her, trying my best to ignore the ancient furnitures and the ‘ancient?’ look from her face.

Mama Jing is obviously shaken with my bad attitude and she took a step forward, raises her hand for another lash but I interrupted her tempo and grabbed onto the whip instead. She is surprised at my action and I pulled the whip towards myself before she could have the reaction to retaliate. The sudden pull causes her feet to tangle and unbalance. Seeing that Mama Jing is almost falling, I brought my feet and kicked her in her tummy. She rolled backwards and suffered an ugly fall.

Wow, I’m so impressed with myself. I laugh at Mama Jing’s distorted face. These ancient people are so slow at response time. I nodded to myself and felt rather glad that my memory is still here, perhaps the survival skills and reflex in the year 2018 could be a big thing in surviving in ancient history.

I walked out of the room, although I’m still a little dizzy from all the ancient stuff that I see. I don’t know what is the right thing I should feel. I’m dead and then alive in a different time, different identity. Well it doesn’t hurt, I guess… I don’t have a family in 2018 but I do miss my friends.

I took in a deep breath and twirled the whip around my hand. The thing I need to do right now is to find the pretty girl that came to this place with me. Perhaps she could tell me who I am in this new place and if she’s my family, I’ll gladly accept it.

The room which I walked out of is located in the third level, right at the corner. Along the corridor of the third level are two other rooms. I noticed that the paintings and carvings along the ceiling and pillar of the third level are very different from the second and first level. The third level is painted in gold and pillars carved with lotuses. Wow… VIP level? Hey, I’m a VIP victim...

Confident with myself, I stormed into the room closest to where I am standing but was faced with darkness. The room is empty and I cannot find the girl. I moved onto the next room, the last one at the third level that is situated at the other corner.

I slide open the door in one go and the room has a man sitted by the table, a cup of tea in his hand and his face is already turned towards the door, his eyes already on me as if he heard me coming. I wanted to say something but the words got stuck halfway and I found my knees wobbly and melting, I then knelt down slowly, staring at him for the longest moment before the words came out of my mouth. “K-Kim Nam J-Joon…?”

WHY IS HE HERE!? WHY IS BANGTAN’S LEADER HERE!? WHY… WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW…!?

“Oh my god…” I whisper to myself and my voice disappeared into the air like a faraway echo.

Namjoon widen his eyes a little but then the expression changes and he put on a calm look, sipping his tea. “You know me?” He says very calmly and Oh God, his voice is so nice to hear!

Of course I know you, the whole world knows you!

Urgent footsteps sounded in the corridor and someone knelt down beside me urgently, pushing me out of Namjoon’s gaze. “I am so sorry sir! She is new here and does not know the rules yet…” Mama Jing kowtow and her forehead touches the ground while I slowly realize what is really going on.

This is a different world from where I belong and this Kim Namjoon is not the RapMonster. Is that it...? Which means I might be able to see familiar faces and… and then what?

Nothing changes.

Namjoon does not respond, he blew onto the surface of the tea and closes his eyes, taking in the scent from the tea and then very slow but clearly, “Leave her here.” He ordered.

Mama Jing raises her head and stole a glance at me, “But…” She tries to argue but was silenced by the glare coming from Namjoon. I couldn’t hide the victorious grin so I very daringly gave back Mama Jing’s whip and wave a hand for her to scram. “But sir…! I’m afraid…” Oh… This hag is so mad her face is contorted, I wished I have my phone here to take a picture and post it on insta. #VictoryForYumi

Namjoon slams the cup of tea onto the table upon hearing Mama Jing’s cautious refusal and the remains from the cup made a little splash and stained his hands. I shivered at the aura that he gives, this is not the Namjoon that I know. Indeed, I am in another dimension and I can never say that I know them.

I see Mama Jing tighten her grip on the whip that I returned her earlier. “...Yes sir.” Mama Jing answers and bowed.

Seeing that she’s about to leave, I do not forget the most important mission of mine so I grabbed onto the end of her dress and hissed, “Where is she? The girl in blue satin dress...”

Mama Jing kicked me away lightly but I do not let go, her eyes flew to Namjoon cautiously and then she bent down, her lips by my ear. “If you want her alive, you better serve him well.”

This time round, my head is spinning because the scenes from all those historical dramas that I have watched told me that killing someone is easy job. Who knows what Mama Jing is really capable of? I reluctantly let go of her dress and comprehend that I have to do as ordered because if that girl is killed, I have no means of knowing who I really am in this time period. Not that I really care but… If she’s my family in this life then, I might be able to carry on and perhaps submit to fate and live accordingly to what the man from hell wanted me to.

Being an orphan in 2018 is bad.

Totally hopeless about my situation, I grab onto my spinning head and fumbled my hair in agony, making it into a bird’s nest. I hear a low laughter then and raises my head but was surprised to see it wasn’t Namjoon.

Namjoon is now standing away from the table, very politely with his hands by his side. The angry Namjoon that dealt with Mama Jing is no longer here and I turn to where he is facing and realized that the laughter comes from the bed. Someone else is in there and I had missed it because the blinds were drawn. I continue kneeling on the ground and after a long moment of uncomfortable silence, a smooth and white hand reaches out from behind the blind, his big hands very easily shifting the blinds away to make space and then I see his legs and then the top of his head before he brings his face to meet mine.

At this point of time, I don’t know if I should thank the man from hell for not wiping away my memory or should I hate him for throwing me at this situation without making me prepare better for it?

Because right now, other than Kim Namjoon… is nuest & wannaone’s Minhyun right in front of my eyes.

*

This is an absurd fanfic, please do not take it seriously