the one where kris comes back

friends au: the one where kris comes back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"No! There is absolutely no way we’re watching that stupid show of yours. I told you that I wanted to watch Frozen tonight," Amber folds her arms across her chest.

"Amber, come onnnn," Henry whines, "You haven't watched anything but Frozen every night for the last three weeks. Can we please try something else?"

"No! I told you - "

"Guys, stop it, please," Eric groans, head hitting the back of the armchair in defeat.

"Shut up, Eric," Henry and Amber say in unison. Amy gives him a sympathetic look from where she’s serving another customer, because she can hear the whole thing.

“Look, I’m just saying - ” Henry starts, but Amber just clamps her hands over her ears, starting to hum loudly.

"Nothing's changed, I see,"

Three heads turn to see a tall guy in a suit with light brown hair towering behind Henry and Amber. He gives them a lopsided smile and their mouths drop open.

"Kris?!"

 

"Dude, I thought you were like, some big-shot business guy in Hong Kong," Amber says.

Kris shrugs, taking a gulp of coffee. Amy is on her break and is sitting on the arm of Eric's chair. They had linked hands almost immediately, on instinct more than anything, and Kris had raised an eyebrow. He had also noted the way Henry had shifted towards Amber to make room for him on the couch, sitting closer than they used to be comfortable with. He put two and two together pretty quickly.

His only comment, for both, was: "Finally,"

Now, they’re all sitting on the couch in the coffee shop, trying to understand how their friend from college was back from Hong Kong.

"The company was inherited by the CEO's son and he was driving it into the ground in less than two months, so I decided to quit while they can still pay my redundancy package," Kris says, shrugging like it’s not a big deal.

"But why back here?" Henry asks, "Surely you could get jobs in Hong Kong?"

"Most of the jobs I applied for - being an English correspondent in the company - were taken, but someone told me the other end was actually the one needing people - English speaking countries needing Mandarin speaking correspondents. So I’m back in town to try and check out my options.”

"Maaaaan," Amber sighs, "Maybe I should look too, then I wouldn't have to work such random hours,"

Henry gives her a look. "Amber, you can't even ask for directions in Mandarin, how do you plan to translate and correspond whole documents about engineering, or anything at all?"

"I could do it about food!"

"You know like three foods in Mandarin,"

Kris grins. "You guys really haven't changed,"

Henry scrunches his nose. "I don't know whether to be offended or not."

"Well, I'm definitely offended," Amber says, folding her arms across her chest. "I'd like to think I've changed since college,"

"Nah, you're still crazy," Henry says. Amber scowls and hits his shoulder so hard even Eric and Amy hear it, from the armchair at the end of the couch. Henry cradles his wounded shoulder and flops over her lap, whimpering. Amber ignores him.

"The only way you've changed is being a little less dense," Kris says, "Because you realised that this doofus was in love with you," he jerks a thumb at Henry who was still lying on Amber’s lap, but sits up at the indirect mentioning of him.

"Hey! I’m not a doofus!"

"Henry hasn't changed at all, because I bet he didn't even realise until you spelt it out for him," Kris says.

Amber laughs. "That's true!"

Henry gapes. "It is not!"

“It actually kind of is, Henry,” Amy says with a bashful grin when Henry squints at her, while Amber laughs loudly.

“So where are you staying in the meantime? Aren’t your folks in Canada?” Eric asks.

Kris sighs. “Yeah. I’m staying at a hotel not far from here, but I’ll start looking for an apartment soon, especially if I find a job here.”

“Where else are you looking?”

“Still got my contacts looking out for stuff for me in Hong Kong,” Kris says, finishing his coffee, “I’m here to meet with some people to look around New York, I have some people looking in L.A., Vegas, Seattle, Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, anywhere this side of the world really,”

“Surely it’s not that hard to find the work you do,” Amy looks a little baffled.

“My expertise is pretty specific, I guess. I could find anything in translating, but if I want my exact area it’s either fight tooth and nail for one of the few established companies, or try and find a promising starting company,” Kris says.

“We should go out tonight,” Henry says suddenly, eyes bright and shining.

“I don’t think students appreciate a hungover teacher, Henry,” Eric says.

“And I’m working tonight,” Amy says, almost pouting.

“I have an early class to teach tomorrow too,” Amber says.

Henry groans. “You’re all boring,”

Kris chuckles. “I’m pretty tired too, Henry. Why not another day this week?”

“Thursday?” Amber suggests. “Henry and Eric will have work the next day, but Amy isn’t at the cafe or the bar Thursday night and I only have afternoon classes on Friday,”

“You’re just looking out for yourself,” Henry scowls.

Amber sticks her tongue out at him.

“Actually, Thursday does work for me. I don’t have a class first period Friday, so I don’t start as early,” Eric says.

Henry whimpers. “I have a meeting Friday morning,”

“Who puts a meeting on Friday morning?” Amber grumbles.

Kris laughs. “I’ll be here for a few weeks at least, don’t worry if you can’t do this week,” He glances at his watch. “Actually, I should probably be heading back to the hotel, I have a dinner meeting tonight,”

Henry grabs his wrist and sits forward, face serious as he looks at all of them. “Wait. We sort this out. No one leaves until we do,”

“I have to get back to work, actually…” Amy says, face apologetic. “But Amber has my work schedule, so just let me know,”

She kisses Eric’s cheek before getting up and back to serving coffee and cakes.

“I actually really do have to go,” Kris says, getting to his feet, “but just message me, I should be fine most nights. I’ll give you guys my new number,” he says, waving his phone before walking out.

Henry sighs heavily as Eric’s phone beeps. He answers it, face puzzled. “Hello?” his face immediately changes to one of worry before he gets to his feet. “What? Right, okay. Yeah, I’ll head over right now,”

He hangs up, putting on his coat and scarf. “Sorry guys, emergency at school. Just text me whatever day, and I’ll make it work, okay?” and then he dashes out of the cafe, coat half on and scarf trailing behind him.

Henry makes a face, sulking. A tug on his arm reminds him that Amber, his one and only girlfriend, is still sitting beside him. She has a smile on her face as Henry makes a face at her.

“Are you going to leave me too?” he tries for his best pouting face.

Amber smiles, soft and serene and brushes his fringe away from his fore

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter