chapter one

Fade Into You : A Knights Tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Chanyeol, the Knight Commander, had served the crown all his life, just like his father before him. He too had sworn under oath to protect the kingdom, the crown, and, the rumoured princess. The knight never thought he would have to act upon this oath as the Park Kingdom was renowned for its peacefulness and prosperity, unlike the Min Kingdom. Chanyeol, like most others, had only heard rumours of the cruel ruler, the Min heir, the son who had killed his own father just to sit on the throne.

The castle spies had been reporting of unrest at the border, of small groups of Min soldiers attacking the guards. The Park King had told Chanyeol not to worry; that they would be safe, no one could get through their defences. Chanyeol only agreed at face value, a gut feeling telling him that danger would descend upon the castle in due time. That was his reasoning for entering the princess’ room while on guard, the sound of breaking glass alerting his senses and making him want to check the room for intruders.

Announcing his arrival first – just like he had seen the maids do so many times before – he entered, watching the curtains around the bed rustle closed. Chanyeol gave her a moment to settle, sword partly drawn as he surveyed the area, relaxing as his gaze locked on shattered glass fragments. The male picked up the large shards in his hands, the glass clattering as he placed it on the metal tray for the maids to collect later. The knight began to leave, pausing as he saw the smeared blood on a few pieces.

“Princess? Are you injured? There’s blood on the glass” He inched closer to the bed, not wanting to startle her. Chanyeol expected the silence in return, opening his mouth to probe the question again, startled as a hand pushed through a gap in the curtain. He observed the dainty wrist, the slender fingers and the pale skin, untouched by the sun after years in the castle. Chanyeol’s eyes finally locked onto the cut, both his hands coming to cup hers, so he could look at the cut better. Her hand was small, skin unblemished and soft from the lack of work, compared to his scarred and rough palms. He chuckled to himself, the cut being a tiny one that was already beginning to dry up, but he wanted to reassure the princess nonetheless.

“Don’t worry, Princess. I’ve got just the thing to stop the bleeding” He let go with one of his hands, digging in the pocket of his breeches for a handkerchief. Chanyeol tugged it out, folding it up before carefully placing it over her palm, tying a firm knot at the back of her hand. Making sure it was secure he began to pull his hands away, almost stumbling back in surprise as she grasped his hand, her fingertips running softly over the bumps and grazes on his palm, before disappearing back into the darkness of the bed. Chanyeol regained his composure, straightening up and adjusting his belt.

“Well, I better be off now, Princess, before they notice I’ve left my post. I’m not supposed to be in here” He chuckled as he noticed the adventure books beside her bed as he walked away, locking the door behind him. Of course, she would be into adventure, who wouldn’t be after being locked away since birth? Chanyeol settled back at his post beside the door before the maid turned the corner, nodding in acknowledgement to her presence as the maid entered to take away the tray. The knight resisted the urge to peek back into the bedroom, even more curious about the hidden princess.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Chanyeol’s shift at the post ended hours later after being summoned down to the throne room by the royal couple themselves. News had reached the castle; the Min army had broken down their last line of defence and was pillaging the village, determinedly making their way to the castle and cutting down anyone who stood in their way. Partway through the briefing smoke began to fill the air as the houses burned below, the large doors to the castle were busted open an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter