Chapter One - Distractions

우리사이 (Between Us)

Dear readers: for the sake of the plot in this fanfic, please kindly imagine that idols get more privacy than they actually do and fans and paparazzi are not as effecient as they are in the real world. thank you :) 

Chapter One 

5th april 2018 - Flight to Dubai

Yoona sinks back into her flight seat, her seatbelt undone and hanging neglected off the side of seat. 

"A forty minute delay" she repeats in a sigh – the words of the captain’s announcement. But it does not take long for her to sit back up abruptly. She does a quick scan of all the SMTOWN artists in the same flight cabin – mostly out of their seats, socialising. This can’t be that bad after all. It has been such a long time since the last time they had an opportunity such as this where the artists get to travel together on the same flight.

She quickly stands up, so that she can lean over the top of the seat to see her Taeyeon Unnie in front.

“UNNIE” she calls a little too excitedly that Taeyeon jumps a little, having to clutch tightly onto the camera in her hand. “What are you going to do?”

Taeyeon looks back up at Yoona, finding the excitement twinkling in her eyes. Taeyeon makes a cute-ish voice and holds up her camera.

“Taengoo TV” she sing-songs just when Yeri comes along and occupies the seat next to Taeyeon. The two seniors spot the camera in the junior’s hand and they eye each other discreetly. Both Yoona and Taeyeon have caught wind of Yeri’s new show. But unfortunately, they aren’t the selected ones to be her secret unnie.  As Yeri, starts probing Taeyeon with questions, the two seniors cheekily play along, leaving her false clues and leading her on.

Yoona continues to find ways to bypass time. She ventures up to business class to find more labelmates, not missing any opportunities to take photos. Even the flight crew asked for a signature and she had happily obliged.

She cautiously walks through to first class, separated by a curtain. It takes a moment for her to realise that she should probably not be here. She does not even know why she ended up here. Leeteuk had ventured down to have fun with s. So what was left was just Kangta, Yunho and him. Yoona’s breath hitches for a second after turning on the spot to walk back up the aisle. Yoona was right in front of Shim Changmin’s seat or rather compartment. Changmin catches her gaze, his deer eyes wide and twinkling. He asks her with a wordless tilt of his head ‘are you alright?’. She blinks twice. Before catching her breath and answering

“Yes.” She says quietly but surely.  

Yunho from the other side of the seat looks over, confused as to why Yoona suddenly spoke.

“Yunho Oppa” Yoona says almost on autopilot - greeting her sunbae. And she nods at the staff member in acknowledgement who had just taken Yunho’s photo. 

But just as she is about to dismiss herself, the camera-holding staff member asks

‘Oh Yoona ssi, Changmin ssi, will you please take a photo together for the official instagram?”

Instead of answering immediately, Yoona looks down at Changmin, with a look of hesitation, biting her lip. Finding no sign of protest or complaint, as Changmin stares back at her, she raises an eyebrow playfully, teasingly asking for permission. In response, he shrugs sarcastically, and they both smirk at each other.

“Sure.” Yoona confirms as the staff member thanks them. She leans down closer to Changmin’s seat making him peek at her. She makes a ‘what?’ expression.  He mirrors her expression teasingly.

“Any minute now…” Yunho reminds them the staff member is waiting. Yoona coughs, covering as they both turn to look at the camera. She nods apologetically at the staff who waves it off whilst Changmin simultaneously takes care of the extraneous observer.

“Hyung, just get back to reading your manga.” He snaps without looking at his leader.

“I will, thank you very much” Yunho mocks offense and busies himself back in his compartment. Yoona nudges Changmin in the arm. He shrugs again.

They both look at the camera and smile. Upon realising the awkwardness at the same time, they simultaneously raise a v shape with their fingers.

Surprising the staff member, just as he took the snap.

“You even made the same pose.” The staff comments.

They look at each other and Yoona sneers

“copy cat” scrunching her nose, Changmin smirks nonchalantly in reply. She leaves quite promptly after thanking the staff member who also follows suit from the other side of the aisle.

Taking advantage of the lack of company, Yunho pops his head over the divider. He begins repeating the comment the staff member made.

“You even made the sam-” but Yunho’s sentence is cut-off halfway.

Changmin does not even need to say anything. He just gives Yunho a pointed look. And Yunho drops the topic and returns to his own manga.

Changmin puffs a deep breath out, blowing his fringe slightly upwards. He rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

 He turns his head to peek in the direction Yoona had depearted down the aisle, only finding a curtain drawn to separate first class with the rest of the plane. Without realising, a slight smile spreads across his facial features as he processes what had just happened. He lets out a silent chuckle recalling Yoona’s last teasing expression.

Leaning his head back against the headrest of his seat, he sighs. But he is cannot bring himself to continue reading the book he was previously so interested in.

***

As Yoona reaches her own seat again, she sits down warily, a thought dawning on her. She looks back in the direction of first class. She bites her lips in uncertainty.

That’s the first photograph they have had together officially.

She is unsure whether she should be worried. She took so many photographs, so surely it won’t be enough to start a rumour. But why is she so bothered by it?

Their friendship (or whatever it was they had) had always been something private, just for the two of them. It feels quite strange and in the slightest way uncomfortable to just unveil such an important yet private part of herself to the world even if it was just a little bit.

She heaves a sigh, unable to escape the tangled thoughts in her head. The SMTOWN staff members are efficient and have sent through the relevant photos to her already. She taps the last one, and stare at herself and him and how they look next to each other.

Deep in thought, Yoona is a little surprised when Hyoyeon returns and occupies the seat next to hers. Yoona quickly locks her phone so that Hyoyeon will not be able to see what she was looking at.

“What are you doing Yoona?”

“Uh?”

“I asked, what are you doing?”

“Uh… just… nothing really”

“I have a feeling this is going to be a wonderful and unforgettable trip” Hyoyeon says contently, with a wide smile. And Yoona can’t help but do the same.

“If you say so Unnie. If you say so.”

***

5th April 2018 A night out

It was already late when they had arrived at their destination. Despite being tired, most of the artists decide to take advantage of their freedom in a foreign city. But they soon realise that their popularity calls for a cost of their freedom. Their fans in Dubai however were able to enjoy the pleasure of eye-candy throughout the city wherever the artists went – most of them at Dubai mall. Yet, they were understanding enough to leave them to their own personal and private space.

For Yoona, she did not have many options. Taeyeon wanted solitude and decided to stay in her suite. Hyoyeon had already went out with amber and the rest of the party goers. She offered Yoona to join. She did, until they decided to go further partying after dinner and Yoona preferred to see the scenery.

They parted ways just around the Dubai fountain just across from the foot of the Burj Khalifa. The tower stands in its almighty glory, partly illuminated by bright lights that emphasise its majestic shape. Now left in granted peace, Yoona takes her time to admire the scenery from across the picturesque waterscape.

She walks towards the railing at the edge of the fountain, placing her hand on the railing as she stares at the reflections of light in the water. It is almost reminiscent of the reflections back at home at the Han river (a place she usually visits alone to seek solitude with the exception of one occasional yet welcome companion).  Yoona slowly closes her eyes trying to calm the unsettled feeling she had been trying to ignore since the confirmation of this trip.

It seems like yesterday that she had excitedly yet undecidedly accepted this schedule that did not include all her members (whom have been nothing but supportive). Yet here she was in a city that she had never been.

Even though she has visited so many places in the world, it still takes her quite some time to ground herself in the reality of being in a city away from home. She inhales a deep breath of fresh air, picking up notes of street food and fresh flowers from the nearby florist cart.

When she opens her eyes, the majestic building is still there, the fountain still alive and dancing away for its many visitors that have come from near and far as well as the many reflections in the water. She realises that she should enjoy what is in front of her while it lasts. She takes out her phone, starting by taking photos of smaller details at first, then holding it out to take various photographs of the landmark.

Immersed in trying to capture the night scenery, Yoona reaches the giant marquee lights stating ‘I love Dubai’. She smiles. The city has been a pleasant experience for her. It was only her inner worries that flicker in and out. But she ignores it once again.

She takes out her phone once again, stretching her arm out at its full length in an attempt to capture a selfie, but is unable to capture all the words in the same frame. She tries stretching her arm a little further. Just when she was about to try and take a shot, she receives a text message, it pops up at the top of her screen

[need some help?] just now – from Oppa.

She is a little shocked at first, spinning swiftly on the spot, trying to sift through the crowds and find him. There was no label along with his contact, but she does not need one, he is the only one on her phone without a proper name. Those that are labelled as oppas on her contact list are tagged with their names, nicknames at best. She takes another look, squinting a little past the bright light. Then she spots him.

Shim Changmin was staring at her from across the other side of the bridge. She gives him a coy look in response to his quick raise of his eyebrows. Then her gaze shifts to Minho who was waving, trying to catch her attention. They leave their spots simultaneously, trying to reach each other past the passers-by.

It is Minho who walks fast and reaches her first. Changmin follows about a couple of metres behind, strolling casually with his hands tucked in his jean pockets. 

“Noona” Minho greets Yoona “I’ve been waving for a while now.”

“Uh, Minho ah, sorry” she pouts apologetically.

“Only joking. I waved only for a little bit.” 

“how did you-“

But before Yoona can finish her question, Changmin cuts them off as soon as he reaches them.

“You shouldn’t be out alone at night in a foreign city.” Changmin’s quiet reprimand successfully catches Yoona guilty. She purses her lips in silence, looking down at their feet trying to think of an explanation, an excuse a diversion… something. But she fails. Without lifting her head, she eyes Changmin who was facing her to Minho who was beside her. She nudges the latter, asking for help.

“Hyung, the rest of the staff are mostly in this area so she should be safe.” Minho reasons.  

Changmin continues staring Yoona down. Yoona looks away, and sneaks a glance at Changmin while pouting. Finding that he is not budging like she expected, she would look away again. She repeats the process again before deciding to cave in.  

In her experience, all males would fall for her use of aegyo, but Changmin is an exception. He always has been. He never dotes on her like the others do. So she changes tactic.

“I won’t do it next time” she says attempting to act cool. Then she bites her lips in a sheepish grin, peeking up at him “happy?”

Changmin uses his palm to push against her forehead, pushing her head back. She yelps in surprise and complaint. As soon as she recovers, she glares at him warningly.

“You made Minho lose a bet.” Changmin says plainly, biting back his amusement. Yoona’s glare changes into a look of puzzlement. She looks from Minho and back to Changmin in a state of slight disbelief.

“That was for real?” Minho asks dumbfoundedly.

“Yes, and that means you bring wine next time you come round.” Changmin reminds

“what bet?” Yoona asks, still confused (yet secretly happy she isn’t in trouble any more). She turns to Minho for an answer.

“I was determined to catch your attention within a minute. But I failed.” Minho explains.

“But wait…” Yoona says, trying to put two and two together “if it was a bet, why did you text me?” Yoona swivels and looks directly at Changmin. And Minho follows suit. Changmin tries to hold his ground and pretends to act like he was not just caught. Yoona tilts her head to one side, still focusing on him. So in the end he decides to answer.

“To buy this one time” he points to Minho, in a defeated look. Then a thought strikes him and an amused smile spreads across his facial features before he starts chuckling between his sentence “But you still didn’t find us in time.”

“That’s too much!” Yoona folds her arms across herself in protest.

“That means you didn’t want me to lose the bet” Minho says in realisation, adding cuteness and swinging his arm around Changmin in a hug.

“But you still lost” Changmin reminds them once again, hiding his smile away to make sure they know that it’s a serious matter.   

“Sorry Minho ah.” Yoona apologises once again, he pats Minho on the arm lightly in consolation. She turns to Changmin, arms folded across her chest “Oppa you’re too much.”

“Thank you.” Changmin says proudly.

The three of them continue walking, looking at the carts and stalls set up for tourists. They pass the flower shop.

“Buy a flower for the pretty lady” the stall owner prompts Changmin who bows his head politely before moving on. He sneaks a sideway glance at Yoona who blinks back at him quizzically. He turns away looking for Minho who is already several steps ahead of them. Minho turns around and waves them in, urging them to walk quicker, finding the spot Yoona was previously having trouble taking photos in.

“Noona it was here, right?” Minho asks, his hands folded and looking at the giant marquee lights stating ‘I LOVE DUBAI’. Before Yoona can respond, Changmin had already held out his hand to take her phone. She looks up at Changmin, the initial expression of surprise replaced by a lopsided smile as she nods in approval. Changmin rolls his eyes at the wordless compliment.

It only takes two photos before Yoona thanks him and walks back up to them. He is not surprised at how she is unlike other girls that he knows. Others would fuss and constantly check their reflection before the photograph. In fact, some require retake and retake of photos. But Yoona has always been different. Perhaps that is because of her boyish personality that they joke to her about. But instead of boyish, it is more carefree for Im Yoona has long since been just a choding to him. Im Yoona is also a lady (a fact that he prefers not to admit or disclose to her).

“You want one together with Minho?” he reminds the two younger ones who quickly agree. They swap positions so that Minho and Changmin can take photos.

Changmin passes Yoona his phone. She clicks the unlock button, revealing the passcode screen. She looks back up, tilting her head and holding up the phone so he could see.

“It hasn't changed.” He calls to Yoona.

“oh” Yoona says to herself, keying in the numbers 8890. Standing in front of the blinding marquee lights, Minho turns to Changmin, upon remembering something. 

“You should change it Hyung” Minho says.

“I’m used to it.” Changmin tries to reason. But Minho knows better than to try and change that.

“stop bickering” Yoona calls

“Yes madam” they both answer in unison, making her laugh.

She holds up the camera and takes their photo at their request.

They ask her whether she preferred to return to the hotel first or to continue walking around.

If she was asked that question earlier in the night, she may have chosen the former. But spending time with these two friends (and Kyuhyun)– a pastime she always enjoyed – made her feel quite at home. So they continue leading the way back towards Dubai mall. Once in a while, they would turn and check on her when she is left walking behind. So she would try to catch up, and they would walk slower.

They end up at a bar somewhere in the bustling streets near Dubai mall. There are quite a few artists in the same area, and they join together, having an impromptu gathering where they chatter about the events they are looking forward to tomorrow. Sitting in one corner with a mocktail that Changmin specifically ordered (with no ice), Yoona tries to keep a wide smile and tries to keep up with the conversation. But at the same time she cannot ignore the uneasiness settling in her stomach upon thinking about the need to perform on stage tomorrow, in front of a foreign audience, without her members and in front of the rest of her label mates. There will be so many eyes on her. 

Perhaps Changmin noticed the distance she was drawing around herself. Or maybe the tension started to show upon her facial features. He looks at her with a knowing gaze. She looks away for a moment before looking back, and forcing a smile and giving a firm nod. He is unconvinced, looking back at Leeteuk who was telling another story of his and then back at Yoona as if asking if she was sure. But she refuses to look in his direction for the rest of the conversation.

They don’t get a chance to speak after that when the group collectively head back to the hotel. But as the group disperse, in the lobby, Changmin lags behind to ask her.

“What room number are you?”

“1523, why?” she asks. But he does not answer. Instead he merely bids her

“good night” before walking off with a casual wave and joining minho.

***

After a long day of a flight, delays and some fun, Yoona finds herself sitting in her bed scrolling through the photos she had taken in her camera roll today. She comes across the last one, of Changmin and Minho holding their arms up in the air in front of the marquee lights. There is a smile that spreads across her lips.

Yoona never doubted that these two would cheer her up. She never really told anyone else how nervous she felt about performing tomorrow – not even to the members for they may feel even worse. But these two successfully became her distraction and took her mind off the scary thoughts for a good portion of the night – enough for her to enjoy herself.  

Come to think of it, the boys (especially Changmin – though Yoona has yet to admit) were there at the right time in terms of distracting her.

Just like the time she had the breakup with a certain member in another boy band from another company.

[some time in 2011]

It only lasted a few months, with sparse dates in between. But their personalities didn’t seem to match as much as they had hoped. At first, they seemed to have chemistry between themselves from the variety show they filmed. But they were compelled to give off that illusion to everyone, including themselves. But after all, Ok Taecyeon never knew the real her. So they called it quits.

The news had spread quicker than anyone had hoped among the members of her company. How they found out? Yoona was too tired to care.

But one particular day where she was deprived of energy and motivation, she received a surprise. She was caught off guard when Kyuhyun had dragged her into one of the practice rooms insisting that she’d watch their new collaboration regardless of how hard Yoona had tried to decline.

When kyu part dragged, part pushed her into the room, she hesitates upon finding Kyuhyun’s usual partner in crime. Shim Changmin just uses his eyes and head to gesture her to take a seat on the floor in front of where they were set up in the middle of the room.

She does so cautiously, wary of what jokes they would pull on her this time. The two stand beside a chair covered in a huge piece of cloth, with an unidentifiable mass underneath it. As Yoona tries to question it, Changmin holds a finger to his lips, so she obliges, pressing her lips together tightly. As they ready their microphones for the rehearsal, it takes a few notes of the introduction for Yoona to recognise the song.

To her delight, it is one Yoona is familiar with, it was in fact one of her favourite songs at the moment.

Yoona tries to remain focused, she holds her breath a little, trying to calm her racing heart. She does not know whether it was the fact that it was Changmin’s singing or whether it was they way he was gesturing to her between the lyrics as if it was meant for her.

Her eyes her eyes make the stars look like they’re not shining

Her hair, her hair falls perfectly without her tryin’

She’s so beautiful and I tell her everyday.

Changmin sings to Kyuhyun as if conversing with him. But he does not look at her directly. And Yoona is grateful for it, otherwise she would start making false illusions, and he would probably spot her flushing cheeks (she would like to attribute to the excitement towards the performance).

She purses her lips, reeling, even as Kyuhyun starts singing.

It is not until the chorus when they finally pull the cloth off the unidentified mass.

Yoona tries to stifle a surprised shriek when a human emerges – none other than their other partner in crime – Choi Minho. But Yoona’s shock continues on with a hint of amusement as well

“WHAT?” She calls loudly. For Minho is not Minho today, he is dressed up with a long wig and a makeshift skirt.

But Changmin and Kyuhyun continue singing as if it is all according to their plan. In fact they act towards them, playing pretend in displaying affection towards the female Minho

When I see your face. There’s not a thing that I would change.

Coz girl you’re amazing  - Kyuhyun sings, giving Minho a peck on the cheek in between the song. Minho squeezes his eyes shut in a pained laugh. But carries on. – making Yoona laugh, but she covers with her hand in courtesy.

Just the way you are.

It is Changmin’s turn, he kneels on one knee.

And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while.

Coz girl you’re a mazing just the way you are.

Changmin takes Minho’s hand and presses a kiss to the back of it. Minho nods with a forcefully graceful smile. Making Yoona laugh more.

They start singing towards Yoona together, conveying the lyrics to her. And she uses both hands to cover and nose, trying to hold back from laughter and trying not to show how touched she feels inside.

As soon as the song comes to an end, Minho tears off his wig and makeshift skirt.

“so what do you think of our collaboration for SMTOWN?” Kyuhyun asks confidently

Yoona’s wiping her tears of joy and emotion with her sleeve, and can only nod.

“Obviously Minho lost the bet” she smiles in between wiping her eyes. She laughs at them.

They stare at her.

“Changmin came up with the idea.” Kyuhyun blurts out. Changmin frowns at Kyuhyun for a moment and blinks at him. Yoona looks between the three of them in confusion.  

“We all did.” Changmin finally says.

“Well it’s a good one I’m sure the fans will love it.”

They don’t explicitly say or really admit to it that they thought up of this event to cheer her up. But inside, Yoona knew. They asked with their sincere eyes – especially changmin’s – whether she was feeling better.

 “Thank you” for making me feel better she smiles gratefully keeping the last words in her heart, looking at each of them in turn to make sure that they understand her.   “I think you will make an awesome performance. But just one suggestion…” she says

“What?” the three of them ask.

“Maybe Taemin will make a better girl?” she suggests cheekily. The three of them turn to each other, biting their lips in excitement and pointing their fingers at each other whilst nodding.

***

Back in her hotel room, Yoona zooms in to the photo, to see their faces clearly. She was in the midst of flicking to find their photograph in the airplane but is disturbed by a knock on the door.

“Room Service.” The voice announces. Yoona moves off the bed cautiously.

She takes a peep through the peep hole to find a hotel staff member waiting patiently outside. She was carrying a tray.

She opens the door.

“Hello” She greets and bows at the door when she opens it.

“room service for you madam.”

“I’m sorry I didn’t order.”

The attendant looks at the slip for the order.

“Order for room 1523. For you miss” the attendant says, passing Yoona the tray. She lets the attendant in who places the tray on her desk in the room, and removes the plate cover. It reveals a mug of hot chocolate that immediately fills the air and warms Yoona’s insides. But it is the plate of marshmallows next to it that answers Yoona’s queries.

“Thank you.” Yoona says, bowing to the hostess.

She walks slowly to the delivery on her desk. How can she forget how he had given her hot chocolate and marshmallows to warm her in one of her hardest times? A smile spreads across her face.  As she thinks back.

what room are you?’ Changmin’s voice replays in her head.

“Shim Changmin.” She shakes her head in disbelief, but her smile is still glued to her face. She brushes her hair off her forehead and picks up her phone, finding their photo staring back at her.

She opens a new message.

[thank you]sent just now she textts

He replies almost instantenously.  

[have a good night’s sleep]received just now

[you too.]sent just now

***************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Readers. 

So I am back with this fanfic.Sorry it took me a while to finally upload this chapter. I've been working on it on and off for the past month. But there were many places I just couldn't make up my mind. Once again, please forgive me for any grammar or spelling mistakes. I wanted to upload this quickly. so i might not have editted it correctly. 

 It was also hard to map out where to start. So I decided to start somewhere in the middle. 

There would be quite a lot of flashbacks and memories in this fic. Please bear with me. 

There are some references to moments that happened in Understanding best (for those that have read it) hopefully it isn't too repetitive. 

I hope this doesn't disappoint. 

Once again to all my subscribers and readers. Thank you for all your support. I really appreciate it. 

Bye for now. I will hopefully update soon :)

P. S. The collaboration performance I referred to in the chapter was an actual SMTOWN performance some of you may be familiar with :)

Image credit: changmin88@ instagram  and smtown @instagram