Y + S

Falling For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seo Joohyun. Twenty years old, the youngest in her family, loved by everyone around her. She is quick witted, reserved yet approachable. With her never failing straight A’s since high school, she was offered a scholarship in Seoul University, one of the prestigious universities in Korea. She is strong-willed and firm in her beliefs. She is admired by most students in the campus because of her personality and attractive appearance.

 

Yet Seungyeon doesn’t understand why her friend is single when she has gentlemen lined up to apply in the boyfriend position. Well, she partly knows why.

 

She was watching Seohyun—as what everyone in the university calls her—smiling like a fool while staring in space. Or rather, in a place four tables away from where they were sitting. She was used seeing her in that state, and would only get out of it when the object of her affection was nowhere of her sight. She followed her friend’s gaze and saw him with his friends laughing at an inside joke he probably thought of.

 

Jung Yonghwa. Twenty-two years old, the most respected senior in the university being the president of the student government. Leader of their school band, assistant captain of the swimming varsity team. He is intelligent, the life of the party, a kid at heart, and exceptionally good-looking too. Seo Joohyun’s kind of guy.

 

“Seo Joohyun, why don’t you just go and confess to Yonghwa sunbae? Seriously, your smile is too blinding.” she finally said when she couldn’t take it anymore. Her friend must not have noticed that she was secretly staring at him. It’s a wonder why Jung Yonghwa wasn’t even aware of her presence at all. Maybe he’s just oblivious, or he doesn’t pay attention to girls in particular.

 

“Yah, am I crazy? You know I can’t do that!”

 

“Then stop staring if you won’t do something with that crush of yours! It feels like you’re melting him with your gaze! It’s a good thing he doesn’t notice.”

 

“Seungyeon-ah, let me just savor this moment please. We’re never going to be together anyway, and he’s also graduating this year. I’m never going to see him again next school year.” she sighed.

 

“Seo Joohyun, do you want him to be aware of you before he graduates?”

 

Her answer wasn’t a surprise. Of course, she’s Seo Joohyun. “No, I’m fine admiring him this way.”

 

“Well, I’m not. I want him to know you. And you can’t say no,” she added when Seohyun was about to reiterate.

 

“Seungyeon-ah…”

 

“Seohyun-ah, do you trust me?” she asked.

 

“Yah, what are you planning to do? Don’t tell me you’re going to tell him yourself!” Seohyun exclaimed.

 

“Yah, I won’t do that to you! And that was not my plan!”

 

“Well, what?”

 

“It’s his birthday three days from now, right?”

 

She nodded, “Yeah, what about it?”

 

She panicked when she saw her friend grinned like she was insane. She knew that what she was thinking wouldn’t be a good idea. “I think the gold watch should at least be worn by its rightful owner, right?”

 

She widened her eyes in horror when she understood what her friend was saying. “You mean to tell me…” she nodded in confirmation.

 

“There’s no way, Seungyeon-ah! I can’t even approach him, let alone give him a present!”

 

“Seohyun-ah, like you said, he’s going to graduate. Don’t you want to give him some sort of, uh, birthday slash early graduation gift? It’s going to be fine!”

 

“No, it’s not going to be fine. This is about me giving my longtime crush a birthday gift.”

 

“I’ll let you use my car for a week!”

 

Seohyun gasped. Ever since her friend started to have her own car (which is coincidentally her dream car), she has wanted to drive that around but she doesn’t let anyone drive it. This is her chance! “Are you serious?!”

 

“I am, Seohyun-ah. I just want you to know what it feels like to give a gift to your crush. It’ll be worth it. So please?”

 

She bit her lip to suppress her smile when she saw Seohyun deep in her thoughts. That meant one thing—she’s considering it. “All I have to do is to give him a gift for his birthday, right?” she nodded. She almost jumped in glee when she heard her answer, “Okay, I’ll do it.”

 

~~~

 

She must be out of her mind. If not, she wouldn’t even concur to her friend’s idea in exchange of driving her dream white car for a week.

 

“Jung Yonghwa sunbae better appreciate what I’m going through right now,” she muttered as she poured the melted chocolate in different molds. As she already agreed and there’s nothing she can do about it, she planned to make a homemade chocolate in different varieties instead of just giving him the gold watch. Since she’s going to be forward, why not give another gift that she made herself?

 

She folded her hands on the wrapped gift tightly as she stood a few meters away from him the next day. It was the twenty-second of June—his birthday—and she saw how he politely received the gifts from girls—hoobaes or the same year as him. She saw his desk full of chocolates and notes saying how they admire him. She followed his movements with her gaze—he was already arranging his things, preparing to go home maybe. Waving to his friends, he sauntered out of their room. Like a reflex, she also started moving and waited until the place was completely vacated.

 

Seohyun-ah, it’s now or never.

 

When the coast is clear, she called his name. “Yonghwa sunbae!”

 

He turned around abruptly, obviously not expecting someone behind him. “Seohyun-ssi, you scared me!”

 

Seohyun-ssi? He knows my name?

 

“Y-you know me, sunbae?”

 

He tilted his head slightly, as if confused. His eyes widened a few minutes later. “A-ah, o-of course I know you! You’re Sica’s dongsaeng right? I see you often.” he was flustered.

 

Right, of course. I forgot he is also Sica unnie’s cousin.

 

“A-ah, ne.”

 

They both stood awkwardly facing each other until Yonghwa chose to break the silence. “So why did you call me? Is there anything I can do? Do you need any help?”

 

As his voice rang in her ears, she remembered the presents in her hands. “I w-want to give this to sunbae…” her hands are trembling as she hands him the wrapped gift. She ducked her head, afraid of his reaction. Sure, they would nod or smile when they saw each other in school in a few occasions, but this was actually the first time she talked to him. A few minutes, she noticed that he made no move to receive the gift so she assumed he didn’t want it. It hurt her though. “It’s o-okay sunbae, if you don’t want it… don’t feel bothered!”

 

Seungyeon-ah, I’m really going to kill you.

 

As she was about to retract her hand, Yonghwa held her wrist. She gasped at the contact and colour rushed to her cheeks but he didn’t seem to notice. He was looking at her, somewhat amused by her gesture. “A-aniyo, I’m taking it. Thank you,” he takes the chocolate, “I’ll enjoy eating this.” and he smiled beautifully, something that Seohyun finally saw up close.

 

“And here’s the other one,” she rushed to give him a small box.

 

“T-there’s more? What’s this?”

 

“I-it’s a watch, sunbae… a gold watch.” she shyly replied.

 

His eyes widened, “Oh no, this must be expensive! How can I accept something like this?” he was about to give it back but she quickly stepped away from him.

 

“No, sunbae, you need to accept it please. It’s for you. I heard it’s your birthday so it’s a present… together with the chocolate.”

 

“But…” he looked worried.

 

She smiled to assure him, “It’s really okay, sunbae. Okay, to ease your mind, just think of it as my graduation gift for you too.”

 

He looked at the box for a while, and then casted a look at her once again. He smiled, “Alright, I accept it. Thank you so much, I’ll wear this often.”

 

She was elated to hear that. “It will make me happy, sunbae!”

 

He was taken aback—her eyes… her eyes were twinkling. He had a thing for objects that glitter or sparkle. He coughed, “Well, I’ll see you around,”

 

“N-ne, sunbae. Please be careful on your way home.” she bowed.

 

He returned the action, “Thank you. Take care too,” it was the last thing he said before smiling down at her once again and finally walked out of the university. When she can no longer see him, she jumped excitedly and danced happily. She went home with a huge grin on her face and a spring in her steps.

 

“Seungyeon-ah, you wouldn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter