Chapter I

Feels Like Home

I did not remember how I got here, but what I did remember was vaguely smelling the scent of fresh blood coming from an alley, between two run-down bars in the crowded part of the red-light district. Unfazed by the smell of the crimson liquid, I merely focused on breathing through my mouth and walked in.

The alley was dimly lit. Only a few stores were still opened, but the rest were either closed for the day or left abandoned. After all, business was not good in the alley --- people mainly came for the bars; get drunk, have , and go home. However, it was a little better during the daytime, just that the alley was located a little too far away from the beach. People who even bothered to visit during the daytime could not stand walking for 10 minutes under the scorching sun from the beach to there, but who could blame them? Even the locals preferred to stay under the shade.

My lips tugged into a frown, sighing at the sight I was greeted by. In front of a pharmacy which lights were still on and door still opened, laid a boy on his stomach covered by a dark liquid. The smell of blood was the strongest here, and despite the dim lighting I was sure that I could not mistaken the source of the smell. Crouching down to the ground, my hand reached out to grab his wrist. The boy was such a poor thing. I could wrap my thumb and index finger around it with such ease, but uncomfortably with his bones jutting out.

A pulse --- faint but still there --- could be felt. Thump, thump, thump . . . It softly beats.

I tapped on his cheek gently, noticing how he winced although seemingly unconcious. Sighing, I scooped an arm under his torso and the other over his knees and flipped him over. He was too light! I should have expected it from the size of his wrists alone.

It seemed that he had tried to seek help from the pharmacy, but only to fall unconcious just right in front of it. Although why none of the staff came out to check on him was beyond my knowledge. 

Oh, no wonder. The lights were still on but it seemed that the staffs on shift were just plain irresponisble. Nobody was there when I brought him into the small shop. I settled his frail body down on the a row of chairs, making sure that he laid straight. Thank goodness I always brought a mini first-aid kit with me in my bag, or else I had to steal from the shop. That would not be such a good idea judging amount of clutter that they had. Horrifying. I doubted that I would be able to find a first-aid kit just in time, much less a staff coming back to the shop to help us out.

Shaking my head, I urged myself to start tending to his wounds.

Lifting his shirt up carefully, I gasped at the sight of the gash running across his stomach. It was not deep enough to end his life, thankfully, but enough to lose a significant amount of blood enough to lose concious. Despite being trained in first-aiding, the wound was too deep for me to treat. All I could do was to put a wet cloth over his gash and hope that it would minimise the bleeding as I called a friend of mine.

"Hello. Doctor Kim Seokjin here-"

"Jin. This is an emergency. Send a medic team as soon as possible."

"Noted. Tell me your exact location." His voice feigned professional calmness of a doctor's, but I knew deep down that he was worried despite not knowing what the emergency was. I filled him in on the details of the location, making sure to still keep an eye on the boy.

"Alright then. See you in the hospital then." I trusted Jin enough to know that he meant his words.

Soon, a wailing siren rang through out the alley. I smiled slightly, telling myself that the boy will be in safe hands now.