Awaken

Awaken

Nayeon went inside the cafe and ordered her usual drink. Coffee with milk. She always put milk and extra sugar on her coffee to mask it’s bitterness and also lower the acidity level of the coffee. The drink also made her day a little bit sweeter.

 

She sat on her usual table at the middle of the cafe and checked the time on her phone. It is still early and so she waits for the person she is meeting with.  This is where they always meet up which is why this place became special to both of them.

 

“I’m sorry I’m late” said a girl who approached Nayeon’s table.

 

Nayeon decided to tease Jihyo, the girl, and so she pouted her lips and tried to look disappointed.

 

“I’m so sorry” Jihyo said over and over again. She did not want to be late, but she had to go somewhere before heading to the cafe.

 

Nayeon find it cute that Jihyo was so worried, “It’s okay as long as you’re here now” Nayeon assured her. Jihyo smiled, happy that Nayeon was not actually mad at her. 

 

Jihyo sat down opposite of Nayeon, the same time the waitress came holding one coffee with milk, one plain coffee and a cake. 

 

“What’s the cake for?” Jihyo asked since they agreed to go on a diet together. “We’re on a diet remember?”

 

“Can this be our cheat day?” Nayeon requested with her signature puppy dog eyes which Jihyo could not refuse.

 

“Why do you want to eat the cake so badly?”

 

“It’s our anniversary” Nayeon said slightly upset that Jihyo forgot. 

 

“I’m so sorry Nabongs, I forgot.” Jihyo said, guilt evident on her face.

 

“Are you mad?”

 

Nayeon sighed, “No. I’m just disappointed” 

 

Jihyo smiled, Nayeon was always so understanding. She stood up and went behind Nayeon and hug her from the back. 

 

“Of course I would not forget our 1st anniversary” Jihyo whispered to her and turned her chair so Nayeon was facing her. Jihyo kneeled down, “I was late because I had to get this” the girl got the ring from her pocket and said, “Nayeon, will you marry me?”

 

Nayeon was so shock, she did not know what to feel. She was happy, shocked and speechless. She really thought Jihyo forgot their anniversary and never expected to be surprised like this.

 

“So would you answer me or will you just let me kneel here forever? A lot of people are staring at us” Jihyo joked. She did not mind the attention. She wanted every one to know how much she loves the girl in front of her.

 

“Yes” Nayeon finally blurted. She hugged Jihyo tightly, not wanting to let go. 

 

A year later 

 

Nayeon stepped inside the familiar cafe. It has been months since she last came here and the memory still lingers. 

 

“One coffee please, no milk” 

 

 

The coffee arrived and Nayeon took a sip. The reality kicks in, the reality that Jihyo was not there and she was alone. 

 

Jihyo died from a sudden tragedy at the same day Jihyo proposed to her. She got hit by the car on the way home and was dead on arrival. After that day, Nayeon stopped going to the cafe, she became soulless. 

 

This day was an exception, all her memories came rushing in the moment she woke up. She kept seeing Jihyo’s face and so she needed something to wale her up from the nightmare she kept reliving.