Act 3

Overstepping

.

 

 

 

Wonshik noticed ever since the rumor had spread about Taekwoon some students had been looking at Taekwoon oddly, or whispered behind his back. Basically, everyone has stayed away from his step-brother. 

However, his friends later informed him this has been happening even before the rumors had started. This was new information to Wonshik. He thought Taekwoon was quiet and a bit anti-social but he'd at least had someone to talk to. If not a friend, at least an acquaintance or two.

But Wonshik wasn't really any better then those people. Ever since he had heard the rumor from Sanghyuk, who heard it from someone with unknown sources, he wasn't sure how to approach his step-brother anymore.

Like once, while at home, he jump four feet away when he saw Taekwoon pass him, like it's a reflex. And in the passed days he'd tried to wake up earlier or later so maybe he could miss going on the same bus together. And stupid things like bringing his dinner into his room cuz he needed to "study".

Wonshik knows this is all just a rumor. It could be a total lie. But he couldn't bring himself to ask Taekwoon about it. He's not even sure what he's afraid of. He could hardly control his heart beat or that strange tingly feeling when he even looks at his step-brother lately. 

After another week people seemed to had stopped talking about Taekwoon and moved on to gossiping about someone else. Guess that's how rumors worked. 

Around the same time Wonshik noticed Taekwoon had been coming home late from school. Like after dark late, and the other never did that before.

Later he found out from his step-mom that Taekwoon had been out studying with a friend. She appeared really happy that his son finally found a friend at his new school. But for some reason the new information made Wonshik feel anxious.

Who is this new friend? Taekwoon didn't hang out with anyone in school. At least not any he's seen. Then again, they were in different classes, different grades, different buildings. The only chance they might see each other was the cafeteria. But lately, he hasn't seen the other around there either. Had he been skipping lunch or eating else where?

 

 

 

Days later Wonshik got somewhat of an answer.

He was with Hongbin working on a class project together in the library.

Wonshik couldn't focus though. As rows and rows of tables away at the other end of the study hall in  a corner, he saw Taekwoon. And he wasn't alone.

Sitting rather close next to him was a boy of tanned olive skin with angular fox-like eyes, who kept smiling and talking to Taekwoon. Surprisingly, Taekwoon occassionally smiled back. And they weren't even forced smiles, they were those, where Taekwoon's eyes turned into cresents and his teeth showed.

Wonshik never saw his step-brother smiled like that at him or even around him before. What is he doing wrong? Does Taekwoon seriously hate him? He's been asking himself this lately, actually may be even since they were introduced as brothers.

When he couldn't watch anymore, Wonshik turned back to his books, and groaned as he put his head down on the table in front of him.

"What's up with you, man?" Hongbin had finally looked up from his serious researching mode.

Wonshik sat up and glanced back at Taekwoon and his friend again, who were now leaning very close to each other. Granted they were looking at the same book together, it appeared, but he still found the closeness unnecessary. And this guy had his arm drapped over the back of Taekwoon's chair. If the chair backing wasn't there it looked like he was half-hugging Taekwoon.

He and Hongbin are sharing books and a laptop too, but you don't see Wonshik attached to Hongbin like a slimy octopus.

"Oh, that's Cha Hakyeon," Hongbin said all of a sudden.

"Who?" Wonshik turned to him.

"The guy over there sitting next to your step-brother," Hongbin directed with his chin, "that you've been glaring at."

"I've not been glaring." Wonshik crossed his arms defensively. "Who is he, anyway? You know him?"

Hongbin corked an eyebrow at him, quizzically. "Yea, he's in my drama club. He's a year older than us. He's also a class president. He's really talkative to the point of being annoying sometimes. But he's okay. He's really friendly with everyone. So don't worry about your step-brother." He said cryptically at the end.

"Me, worried about him? Why'd you say that?" Wonshik asked.

Hongbin wasn't gonna get into it, so he shrugged. "Okay." And he went back to his notes.

Once again, Wonshik looked over at the other pair again. They were still sitting close. But while Taekwoon was writing something, Hakyeon was leaning in closer to the other, if that's even possible. Then began smelling Taekwoon's hair with a look in his eyes that really bothered him.

What is this Hakyeon guy trying to do? Wonshik thought.

 

 

 


In the middle of class the teacher had paused the lesson to step out to speak to someone outside the classroom. When she came back she had told Wonshik to see her after class. Of course, for the rest of class he was nervous. 

And it didn't help that Sanghyuk was saying, "oww, you're in trouble," who sat behind him. While Hongbin, who sat beside him asking, "dude, what you'd do?"

Wonshik frowned. He couldn't recall doing anything so this was odd. Nor was he a trouble maker to begin with. The only times he did got scolded for was sleeping in class. But he was pretty alert today, so what could had this been about.

Finally, at the end of class, he waited until everyone was gone to walk up to the teacher. He asked what she wanted to talk to him about.

"Yes, Wonshik. I got a message that your brother Jung Taekwoon had passed out during physical education class. The nurse said he had a fever. Your parents didn't pick up their phones, probably still working, so the faculty wanted me to give you the message as the final contact. He's resting in the infirmary right now. So, you-"

"Thank you Mrs. Park!," Wonshik blurted out before he bolted out of the classroom towards the infirmary.

A sudden feeling of guilt rushed through him as he made his way through the halls. Like why didn't he go school with Taekwoon this morning. Why did he have to avoid him? Why did he listen to those rumors? Why didn't he paid more attention when he heard Taekwoon sniffling last night at the dinner table before rushing back to his bedroom. And, why can't they just act like normal brothers like everyone else?

Wonshik came to a sliding halt when he reached the infirmary. The door was already a jared so he walked in but nurse wasn't there. Thinking she might had stepped out he gone ahead towards the rest area that was sepearated by a curtain. Noting that the curtain was pulled closed meant that someone was recopperating on the other side.

Cautiously, he pulled the curtain back by a couple inches to peer inside first. He quickly spotted Taekwoon peacefully laying down in one of the beds facing towards him. But Taekwoon wasn't alone. There was a male student standing by Taekwoon's bed side, hovering over. He couldn't tell who it was by the back of his head. 

Wonshik couldn't decide if he should approach them or keep watching. Then the male slowly reached out his hand, placing his finger tips on Taekwoon cheek lightly. Wonshik watched those finger tips glided down Taekwoon's pale cheek, around his jawline, and neck, then collarbone. His eyes grew wide as the other continued down. Those finger tips go lower into Taekwoon's opened ed collared shirt and that's when he snapped.

"Hey, what are you doing!?" Wonshik pulled the curtain back all the way and went right up to the stranger who finally turned around.

Wonshik grabbed him by the collar. Now up close he realized it was Hakyeon. The guy he saw with Taekwoon the other day at the library. The new friend. The one that Taekwoon could sit so comfortably close and smile with, but not with him. Something unknown was boiling up inside him. But he knew this wasn't the place to do something about it.

Instead, he pulled the other in and muttered in his ear, "stay away from Taekwoon, or else." Then he shoved the guy away before letting go.

Hakyeon scurried away after that.

Wonshik placed a hand over face. He couldn't believe what had just happened. What he just said. It was so unlike him. This posessive side of him. What is he doing? What was Taekwoon to him?

After he took a moment to collect himself. He went back at Taekwoon, who was surprisingly still asleep all through this. He stepped up close, and took a moment to just look at his step-brother.

Wonshik never noticed how Taekwoon's face looked so alien to him. Probably cause he never had the opprotunity to look at the other's face for so long before he would turn away from him. Now up close he could see how fair the other's skin was. It was flawless, except for the tininest beauty mark below his left eye which he hadn't noticed before. 

Then his eyes traveled down to Taekwoon's lips. They were small and plumped, in the lightest shade of pink, like cherry bloossom petals. And they reminded him of a cupid's bow, curved up in the corners and dipped in the center. They looked so soft and alluring.

Wonshik reached his hand out, wondering just how soft they were. But just as he got close enough he caught himself. He wasn't a ert like that Hakyeon. What is he thinking?

Instead, he noticed Taekwoon's shirt collar was still opened and ed. So he bent down and focused on just helping to rebutton them. As he got to the second button, Taekwoon's eyes slowly fluttered open, looking directly into his eyes. Wonshik hadn't realized how close up he had gotten and jumped back with his hands up in the air, like he was caught red-handed.

Taekwoon blinked a couples before shyly turning his head away.

"I was just helping you button your shirt. That Hak-, that guy, I-I don't know." Wonshik thought it was better not to mention what had happened. "What I mean is... are you okay? Are you cold? Do you need another blanket? Do you still have a fever?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine. I think." Taekwoon said, still with his head turned away.

There was a long silence. And it was just the two of them, it was getting awkward. And Wonshik wondered when the nurse was coming back. Where hell was she anyway?

"Should we call someone?" Wonshik asked, breaking the silence.

"The nurse called my mom. She said she'll come pick me up once she can get off work. I told her I can go home on my own but she insisted. You can go home first."

"No, I'll wait with you." Wonshik felt that was the right thing to do.

Taekwoon turned back to him. "You don't have to."

"No, I want to. If that's okay with you?" Wonshik tried on a soft smile.

Taekwoon bit his bottom lip and slowly pulled the blanket over his head. After a minute he muffled under the sheet, "If you want to."

Wonshik chuckled; and he waited quietly with Taekwoon, who remained in his blanket coccon. 

A little bit later the nurse came back. And eventaully, half an hour or so later Wonshik's father was the one who came and picked them up.

 

 

 

__________________________________________________________________________________
I love jealous Wonshik for some reason~ I also made the story move quicker, though I hope everything doesn't seem rushed. I wanted Wonshik to finally ~feel~ and Taekwoon to stop pushing him away. Next time: Taekwoon will finally reveal the truth about his rumor.

*If you like the story please upvote.
**If you want to continue following the story please subscribe.
***If you want updates sooner please comment.

Thank you for reading!

 

 

 

.