Coffee Shop

Artistic By Heart

Chaeyoung walked along the sidewalk, childishly counting her steps. 

The city streets were as rowdy as usual. The ruckus is known to deeply bother most people, but Chaeyoung finds it comforting. 

It lets her believe that she’s not alone with just her thoughts. 

Everyday, she had the habit of walking to the same coffee shop at the same time. She blamed her newfound infatuation on her best friend, Kim Dahyun, who had recently began working at said shop. It was only supposed to be an occasional thing, just to visit her best friend in times of desperate boredom. 

Yet, with just a couple of visits, she quickly grew to love the coffee shop. She loved the atmosphere, the drinks, the music, and most of all she loved how she was able to be in her own little world and draw. She didn’t think it was peculiar to go everyday, she just found comfort in the cozy, little shop. 

Chaeyoung brushed her fingers across the door handle, taking a breath before entering the coffee shop. She wondered if people ever questioned why she went everyday, surely it can’t be that weird. 

As she entered, a pale girl behind the counter turned her head in curiousity of the new customer. 

“Ah, Chaeyoung-ah, good afternoon!” Dahyun smiled widely as she recognized her dear friend. The younger girl grinned at the barista, and made her order. Before leaving, she left Dahyun a tip, as she did everyday. 

“You know, you should continue to come everyday. At this point your tips are gonna pay for my meals,” the barista joked. 

Chaeyoung laughed, “Im taking all of my tips back.” She reached out for the jar, but was stopped by a pale hand. “Please ma’am, don’t! Its all I have! Think about my wife and children!” Dahyun said dramatically in mock desperation. 

The short haired girl giggled, shaking her head at her best friend’s antics. She left the counter and began walking towards her usual spot, which was in the corner. She chose the corner because she was able to view the whole shop from there, which easily gave her access to draw anyone from her point of view. 

She sat down and began getting her drawing materials out, placing her sketchbook and pencils on top of the table. 

Flicking through the pages, she realizes just how many different people she’s drawn. Each person had a different story, and Chaeyoung found it fascinating. At times, she’d try to come up with different stories while she drew someone. It was quite fun, and it let her have creative freedom in a sense. 

She gazed around the cafe, scanning to find what would inspire her drawing today. Surpisingly, she couldn’t find anyone who interested her enough. There were typical couples and college students typing away on their computers. It all felt bland to Chaeyoung, she had drawn it all before. Then again, what did she expect? 

She considered doing her homework instead of drawing, until Dahyun arrived with her drink. 

“Here’s your green tea latte ma’am,” Dahyun cheekily smiled. Chaeyoung smiled warmly as she took the green drink. 

“So, who you drawing today? A pretty girl?” 

The artist looked at her with a puzzles expression, “No? I don’t think im drawing today, its pretty boring.” 

Dahyun rolled her eyes. 

“Chaeyoung, i’ve been meaning to tell you this. You’re not the only one who comes here everyday like its clockwork.” 

The younger girl scrunched her nose. Was Dahyun supposed to be casually talking to her like this? In the middle of work? Nonetheless, she let the barista talk, figuring that it was fine. 

“I mean yeah, students come everyday too, what of it?” 

The barista sighed dramatically. 

“Do you ever look infront of you Chaeyoung?! Theres a whole goddess infront of you and you never noticed!” Dahyun began to whisper as best as she could, which really wasnt that quiet. 

Chaeyoung turned her head to see what Dahyun was talking about, and sure enough there was a goddess. 

A goddess in the flesh, who could rival Persephone. 

A goddess with long dark brown hair, a tall figure, and soft yet stern features. 

Chaeyoung thought she must be an idiot for missing this huge detail, after all of her daily visits. Her immediate thought was, “I have to draw her now.” Then, Dahyun tapped her shoulder. 

“She comes here everyday too you know. Its like clockwork. I thought you were the only to come here everyday for no reason, but she seems to do the same too.” 

“Did you imply that she’s a ?” The artist couldn’t help but feel slightly bothered at her friends comment, despite knowing absolutely nothing about the other girl. 

“Why? Are you gonna defend her like if you're dating?” The barista chuckled. Chaeyoung slapped her bestfriend on the shoulder. 

“Shut up! Arent you supposed to be working? Get your behind that counter already!” 

“You're right! I should go now, Nayeon’s gonna ing kill me if she sees me here! Bye Chaeng!” The barista was quick to leave.Chaeyoung watched as the older quickly scurried her way back behind the counter, helping out with orders. The artist made herself comfortable on the chair, and took a few sips from her drink. 

After taking a sip, the girl figured her coffee shop visits will never be boring again.

...

It all began slowly. Chaeyoung would arrive at her usual place at her usual time daily, except now she had an even more giddy pep to her step. Her grin was fooling no one, and Dahyun was really not one to miss obvious signs. So every coffee shop visit began with a teasing session from her best friend, along with some advice that Chaeyoung would much rather not use. 

Of course, Dahyun had a girlfriend, but that didn't mean Chaeyoung trusted her attempts of helping her get 'the girl'.

Said girl also arrived daily at the coffee shop at the same table although a bit earlier, and Chaeyoung was glad that this girl stuck by her routine. 

It started with small sketches, messy at most. The short girl was far too timid to stare at the girl across from her for too long. She felt as though she were some kind of stalker, and tried her hardest to convince herself this was merely inspiration. 

And boy, did she become inspired. 

Every day, she used up atleast three pages of her sketchbook in order to draw the girl's face. Chaeyoung has never been too enthralled in someone's beauty before, she was one to quickly grow tired of drawing the same person. However here she was, drawing some pretty stranger in the middle of the coffee shop, over and over again. 

Maybe part of her knew they'd might never interact, and they'd have to change their schedules. Maybe that's why she drew her so much, to not forget her. 

...

Chaeyoung knows the whole thing is unusual. She knows absolutely nothing about the girl, how could it be that she was her muse?

She switches up her sketches now, they became much more refined and clean. The girl's features are much more distinguishable now, and the short girl figures it's due to her being able memorize her features after drawing her so many times. Occasionally, she'd add in music lyrics, or a few of her own poems. The girl across from her not only inspired her in art, but in writing. Chaeyoung felt like she was on a creative roll. 

The sketches evolve into more finished artworks, and her poems become more fluidly structured. 

One day she does the mistake of letting her sketchbook out in the open during Dahyun's break.

"Holy Chaeng, how many times have you drawn this girl?" She flips through each page, eyes widened. 

Chaeyoung bites on her lower lip as a result of embarassment, "I well uh, I guess I got more inspired than I thought I'd be?" She chuckles at the end in order to try and hide the blush in her cheeks.

She knows Dahyun knows her enough to know that Chaeyoung was the type to be more of an emotional, artsy person. When she did something, it was with feeling or an emotional drive. So, Dahyun wouldn't be the type to judge her, that didn't make her stop feeling like she should lock her sketchbook away somewhere like it was the plague. 

Dahyun clicks her tongue, "As much as I want to make fun of you, all of this is way better than the past art you've made."

"Hey, was that supposed to be an insult?"

"Of course not my dear Chae, you've always drawn well, but these feel more powerful somehow. Even your poetry got better, even though it's horribly cheesy," she giggles. 

Chaeyoung huffs as she takes her sketchbook away from her best friend's pale hands, "Alright that's enough of that."

The short haired girl knows Dahyun means absolutely no harm, and she herself was the most supportive out of her entire friend group. Despite her true intentions, Chaeyoung wishes her support didn't make her feel incredibly embarassed.

"By the way, you do know the staff knows her name right? Since you both come here everyday, we all know your names by memory by now, you know, if you're interested," Dahyun wiggles her eyebrows. 

Chaeyoung would be lying if she said she didn't consider it, but she felt it was somehow disrespectful to find out her name like this instead of full on asking her. Sort of like an invasion of privacy, which really sounded a bit contradictory considering she's even memorized her face. 

However, if anything was going to happen, she wanted it to happen by the will of fate, and not her desperation. Either way, she was far too intimidated to even be close to the girl. 

...

Although Chaeyoung's lost count along time ago, Dahyun so generously reminds her just how many days it's been since she 'fell in love with a stranger', as she puts it.  Even her boss Nayeon has taken part in it, and Dahyun's girlfriend, Sana, teases her about it when they meet up. It's a bit ridiculous, really, Dahyun even has a small chalkboard under her counter with a tally and everything. At first, Chaeyoung found the whole ordeal amusing, but when the tally hit the 20th day she believes that maybe nothing was ever meant to happen. Especially when she was far too timid.  

So, she walks to her usual spot, this time with a slight frown. 

It all seemed to tug at her heart strings, that she didn't have the guts to even do something about the whole situation. She starts to think that maybe she should've listened to Dahyun's advice, and it sends a shiver through her spine that it's resorted to that. 

Despite the unfamiliar weight now placed in her mind and heart, she opens up her sketchbook. 

She begins drawing the girl who began this whole mess merely by just existing, and the lines seem to come naturally to her. She didn't even have to glance up that much anymore, and maybe she only did just to look at the real thing which was far more beautiful than all of her drawings combined. The very idea sends a pang through her chest, and she chooses to keep her eyes focused on hanging low. 

It was all going so well, until she takes a deep breath and figures she should atleast glance once.

That was the beginning of her mistake, for as soon as her eyes wavered over to the table across from her, she was met with a pair of deep chocolate brown eyes. 

Both pairs of eyes widen, and Chaeyoung's breath feels trapped in her lungs. 

She had never directly looked into the girl's eyes, and she was so grateful for it. Looking into the girl's eyes felt like a dark abyss that Chaeyoung would've gotten lost in a long time ago, had she not already. This time it made her fall even deeper, to the point were her heart felt like it was screaming at her through her ribs. 

So, out of panic, Chaeyoung begins gathering all of her things to leave because this staring contest was starting to make her more nervous by the second. What she doesn't expect was for the girl to quickly stand up and walk over towards her table. 

The short girl's eyes widen even more if that was even possible, and she knows that she was definitely ed now. 

However, it was far too late to run away now, because the girl was now towering over her with an unreadable expression that only hightened Chaeyoung's worries. 

She lets herself study the girl's face, which although was pretty high up, was still able to be seen due to the close proximity. 

Chaeyoung realizes her artwork definitely does the actual face no justice, and although she's memorized her features a long time ago she still finds herself studying every detail. She takes notice of her eyes, lips, nose, everything really. She can't help but believe that this girl was specifically sculpted by some god who wanted mortals to know what true beauty was. 

"Is something wrong?"

Chaeyoung is taken aback by the sudden voice that intrudes her inner struggle. The tall girl's voice was different than what she had expected it to be, yet it was soft and comforting. Despite that her height had made the shorter girl feel much more like she was being cornered, and maybe that's what she gets for sitting at the table at the corner. 

"W-What do you mean?" Chaeyoung feels herself become redder due to her stuttering. 

The girl's expression seems to shift a bit, and her initial confident aura seems to falter. 

"Its just, you usually look at bliss. But today you look sad." Her eyes never left the shorter girl's. 

Chaeyoung feels her heart rise again from the dead, and now her embarassment only worsens. This girl knows of her existence, which only means that she knows she's been staring at her everyday. It makes her want to dissappear. Unfortunately, humans have not evolved enough to have super powers. 

"I, you noticed me?"

The girl nods at her, "How could I not when you also sit at the same place everyday? Also, your staring is anything but subtle." She chuckles, and although Chaeyoung finds it incredibly endearing, she finds horror in it all. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. Did I make you uncomfortable?" Panic seeps through her veins at the thought. Then, the taller girl starts giggling, and Chaeyoung believes that this beautiful stranger finds entertainment in her embarassment.

"Don't worry, you didn't. If I did, I'd be a hypocrite," She shurgs nochalantly, still smiling. 

Chaeyoung's brows furrow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Hm, I'll show you if you show me what you've been doing in your journal to be looking at me so much."

Chaeyoung blushes, but she figures that the least she could do was agree to her little offer. It was going to be unbearable for her ego, she knows it.

"Fine, I will."

The taller girl smiles, and tells her to sit back down to wait for her. Chaeyoung sits as she watches the girl pad over to her table to get her journal, and really she just wishes for the best at this point. The girl takes a seat next to her, shouders slightly brushing, and Chaeyoung hopes the girl couldn't feel the intensity of her heart beat. 

The girl places her journal infront of them, and Chaeyoung is prepared for the worst. The girl's slender fingers start to flip through pages, until she stops at this certain one. She opens it fully, and Chaeyoung takes note of how it looks like some sort of diary entry. Then, she begins to read it. 

6/13/18

This girl keeps staring at me. What am I supposed to do? Go over there and tell her to stop? Jihyo tells me that maybe she's a weirdo planning to kidnap me, but she's so small. I can definitely defend myself. Also, she's kinda cute. She thinks she's doing such a good job of hiding the fact that she's staring at me, as if. Whoever this girl is, I might just let this continue. 

Chaeyoung's eyes widen when she reads the girl had found her cute, as she's about to comment about it, the girl switches to another page. 

6/16/18

She does this everyday, should I be stopping her? I mean, all she's doing is looking... maybe I'm dumb. She looks like she also does something in her journal everyday, are we secretly having a writing competition? Jihyo is gonna kill me when she finds out that I haven't done anything about it. But she isn't here to stop me!!! She'd say this was teenage rebellion, who does she think she is? She's literally only two years older than me. 

Chaeyoung suppresses a giggle from escaping her lips as she finishes reading it, the girl flips again. 

6/19/18

Dahyun told me about her, yet she had the audacity of not even telling me her name or what she does. Maybe I should ask Nayeon to fire her. Either way, I can't even do my homework here anymore, I just think about this random girl. She's just... sitting there. Why can't I just focus? Her short hair and height is starting to get to me, she's very cute. I mean, she's also not subtle, but I guess I am since she doesn't notice I look at her too. I should really do something about this huh, Dahyun keeps looking at me and wiggling her eyebrows. I'm tired of her. But I can't just go over there and talk to her. 

Chaeyoung looks up to the girl as a blush creeps on her cheeks, the girl also had a blush. She smiles, at the very idea that maybe this entire situation wasn't one sided as she once believed. 

"I... I've been writing everyday about you since you first started staring at me. So, you shouldn't feel like you're some kind of creep, cause that makes me a creep too," she awkwardly smiles. Chaeyoung lets herself grin widely at the fact that this girl she's been studying for so long, that appeared to be confident and stern, was actually sort of a dork.

"We made a deal, show me what you've been doing. Dahyun wouldn't tell me." At the sound of her best friend's name, she remembers to confront her about it later. The little .

Chaeyoung opens up her sketchbook and places it infront of them just as the girl did, she lets it rest of the first page and allows the girl to flip through the pages. 

The taller girl studies each page as much as she could, her eyes appearing to be sparkling. She smiles throughout the entire time, and the shorter girl feels her heart expand at the very sight. For she had only seen her with her usual neutral expression, but when she was smiling like this it was an entirely new kind of beauty that only made her want to take her sketchbook back and begin drawing. 

"These are really beautiful."

"Well, it helps that you're also really beautiful," her eyes widen at how she so easily revealed her thoughts and feels herself blushing furiously. Where that sense of courage came from she had no idea, but now the girl was shyly looking down with this sweet smile and Chaeyoung has never felt that accomplished. 

"My name is Tzuyu, Chou Tzuyu. What's yours?"

"Chaeyoung, Son Chaeyoung." 

They both grin at eachother with the most blissful expression. Both revealing dimples that they each find adorable. Chaeyoung swears she has somehow ascended to heaven or on some other realm where goddesses exist. 

Maybe, her staring actually paid off. 

Yet, the two girls were completely unaware of the pairs of eyes staring at them in relief. Yes, maybe not only Nayeon and Dahyun were rooting for them, at some point the whole staff became wrapped in the love story forming right in the middle of their job. Of course, until Nayeon begins yelling at everyone to get back to work. Dahyun smiles to herself as she gets her chalkboard and erases the tally board. 

...

They still go to the coffee shop every day at the same time, but both girls don't sit at different tables anymore. 

In fact, they both start to spend a lot of time together. 

Chaeyoung still draws, just this time next to Tzuyu. Tzuyu doesn't write anymore, but doing her homework feels a lot less like hell with Chaeyoung next to her. 

Occasionally, they get lost in eachothers presence, and end up just being in comfortable silence with one person on the other's shoulder. 

Chaeyoung once thought that Tzuyu couldn't get any more gorgeous, however as she grows to know more and more about her personality she realizes she was wrong. For everything about Tzuyu was beautiful, not just her face. Chaeyoung believes it was unfair, but atleast she had her. Atleast she was the one who had the privelege to witness her in the morning when Tzuyu barely wakes up and yet still looks breathtaking, or in the night when Tzuyu cuddles up to her with a light smile that feels so comforting. Chaeyoung feels herself falling even deeper, but she didn't mind as long as Tzuyu would be right next to her. 

For once, she feels like her embarassing actions paid off. 

"Tzuyu-ah?"

Tzuyu turns away from the essay she was typing on her laptop, and turns to look into the shorter girl's eyes. "Hm?"

Chaeyoung grins widely, showing her dimple, and sweetly shows her a drawing she had just finished. 

Tzuyu studies the drawing which was yet again beautiful, but her breath hitches when she sees the words written so boldly. 

The taller girl grins at Chaeyoung, "I love you too."