Chapter 1

PRINCESS CHARMING
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Princess Charming: a oneshot

Do you remember those stories that lulled you to sleep? The ones of the Prince in dire need of his Princess who would of course go to any length to save his damsel in distress. So-Hyun had always been the one for the fairy tales, the ones where her prince charming would come and take her off her feet, save her from her life of misery and whisk off into the land of happily ever after.

But, that was then, and she was a naïve 8-year-old girl tricked into believing life was a fairy-tale.

Now she’s 20 and knew that fairy-tales were things of the imaginary, and even if in some other dimension it did exist it wouldn’t be something that somebody like her would ever experience.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

The sound from the scanner at the checkout that So-Hyun was managing beeped its way through her last hour. She was looking forward to going home and reading but she just had to have the lady with two trollies full of food.

Taking in a deep breath, she continued scanning, watching as the clock ticked its last 20 minutes of her shift at the supermarket away. Today had been just like any other day, besides feeling extra longer, this was usually how she spent her shifts all to make ends meet. She thought her days couldn’t get any more boring, she had no friends, but she was used to that believing that she was an outcast from the minute she was born. The only interesting thing that’s happened to her recently was that she managed to catch an elementary kid stealing cookies from the fourth aisle. Other than that, there was nothing – until today.

Making her way into the staff room So-Hyun hurriedly threw off her uniform, taking her belongings she walked out with hands in her pocket. She was done with her day-shift and she quickly plugged in her earphones because there was only so much more beeping she could take on the long walk to the exit. Soon she was walking her way to the bus stop with music on full blast and smiling at the thought of the ramen she has at home.

Approaching the lights, So-Hyun stared at her feet, the shoes that used to be white had slowly transitioned to a greyish colour. She would love to buy new shoes, but she had a goal and meeting it required saving a lot of money. She looked up at the green man who started to flash, and So-Hyun crossed, bumping into something hard before stumbling and dropping her phone. Quickly, picking up her phone and brushing her arm where the pain was slowly rising she looked around to see what it was. She was surprised to see not a what, but a who. A very handsome who at that.

At that moment, as soon as their eyes met it felt like time had stopped and she was in a different world. The clouds of air that formed when he breathed reminded her of the coldness that was winter. Her eyes bore into his dark orbs and she could swear her heartbeat could be heard from a mile away. His hair was a jet black that was slicked back, and the wind blew in a way that made sure it didn’t mess its style –as if it was being considerate of his beauty. They both jumped at the sound of the honking from the awaiting cars and So-Hyun quickly bowed apologising to the man and to the drivers before running to the other side of the road.

Scurrying to the bus stop, she made it in time for the last bus ride home. It usually took her 30 minutes, but she didn’t mind. She made the decision to not be in the same vicinity of her step-mother and her step-sister for the 24 hours a day, which meant getting a job that wasn’t in her village. Her father was always away on business trips, so she never saw him and even if she did she was lucky if he ever exchanged more than three words with her.

After the death of her mother she didn’t know when, but their relationship had turned sour. So-Hyun had tried to make amends and do the best to be a daughter he could be proud of, but all her efforts were rendered useless.

Plopping herself down on the corner seat at the back of the bus she took out her phone, examining it for any damages, before proceeding to load the webtoon she had been reading during her lunchbreaks. The bus set off and she was well into the 4th episode, when she felt someone brush against her, the smell of lavender invading her senses. She looked from the corner of her eye and saw a figure wearing a black leather jacket, black leather pants and black boots. So-Hyun sighed internally, out of all the free seats, this person decided to sit right next to her.

Still not having seen their face, she examined them once again in annoyance and So-Hyun noticed they were the hands of a man. She was never the type to judge or care at the appearance of others, but the whole leather look was somehow disturbing. Extravagance is also a disease she thought, shaking her head and getting back to her webtoon, deciding to mind her business with only four more stops to go.

Excusing herself from where she was trapped with the man against her, she stepped off the bus and took a deep breath, preparing herself for an unpleasant evening. She really hated living with her step-family, that’s why she was working and saving up to rent a place that was far away from them.

Her steps were slow, and her village was constructed in a way that houses were lined up in one street, facing each other. This dark night, the only light guiding her path were the street lamps that would often flicker or fizz when people drew near. It took her a few moments to realise that her footsteps weren’t the only ones she was hearing. Her steps slowed down a sudden eerie feeling creeping down her spine. She looked slightly to her right and observed a shadow in the shape of a man that matched her own.

Her movements quickened and part of her thought that it was ridiculous considering she hadn’t even checked to see his face, but she didn’t care. She realised she made the right decision when his footsteps also quickened, matching the pace of her own and it was in that moment that she knew she was going to die. She had never been the one to exercise and it was still a distance to where her house was, so she decided to give up; she wasn’t athletic, her insides were on fire and she wouldn’t make it far at this rate.

She came to a sudden halt readying herself to face whatever monster of a man this guy was but was surprised when his footsteps also stopped, and he wasn’t moving any closer. The heavy panting from the both of them resounded in the night, their chests moving up and down.

So-Hyun slowly turned around to find the man with one hand on his knee holding his chest in his breathlessness. “W-what do you want from me?” She quavered.

“Gosh- I – didn’t – think – you’d – stop” He said, gasping for air. “Did you not hear me call after you?” He asked, slightly catching his breath.

“I asked… What do you want from me?!” She repeated, now using her backpack as a shield as if it would protect her. The three words So-Hyun had thought she’d never hear from another human being – a stranger at that, came out of his mouth.

“I need you.” He whispered, his fragile form startling her.

“W-what?” She asked, managing to find her voice, her bag still in defensive mode.

“You felt it, too right? Earlier? Like time had stopped?” He said, suddenly looking desperate and So-Hyun continued to stare at him, her eyes blinking rapidly indicating that she didn’t understand the words flowing from his mouth. It took her a few minutes before she recollected that this was the man that she bumped into at the crossing and that he was right.

It really felt like her world had stopped, but she wouldn’t tell him that. Not yet anyways. She admits, he was good looking, but not enough for this conversation to be happening or to excuse the fact that he had stalked her.

“Don’t lie- I can read your mind.” He said all to innocently.

What is this guy?

“You just thought ‘what is this guy’ right?” He added, this time a hint of arrogance laced his tone. He continued after seeing So-Hyun’s eyes widen. “I’m not dangerous or as weird as you think. I- I’ve come for your assistance. You’re needed back home.”

Last time I checked, I was on my way home.

“No, not that home.” He corrected, “Your real home.”

“And what exactly is my real home and what exactly do you need me for?” She asked, her tone sarcastic, but she soon became worried seeing the look on his face that showed he didn’t catch her cynicism.

“You’re needed back home in the land of Lavender. The Prince needs you… The Prince needs his Princess back.”

It took So-Hyun five seconds before she burst into laughter and another ten minutes till she managed to build back her composure. She couldn’t help it; this stranger was telling her to believe a made-up story with the world’s most serious face on at night time. Even right now, whilst she had been laughing his expression hadn’t changed one bit.

“Listen, it’s been a long day. I don’t know what you’re selling, but I don’t do fraud, I might not have gone to University but I’m not stupid. If we’ve established that you’re not a crazy psycho killer, I can go home right? I really don’t have the capacity to handle this tonight. Or ever.” She threw at him, before backing away slowly.

“Don’t you want to know of your Prince? How much he needs you right now?” He asked, looking somewhat dejected as if he was disappointed that she didn’t jump at the opportunity.

So-Hyun sighed. “Honestly? No. I don’t. But I’ll bite, since it’s a hard world out here and we’re all just trying to make a living. Tell me more of my so-called prince.”

“The both of you met when you were younger, both very happy children who promised each other to stay together and live happily ever-after in the palace that he would later build. Unfortunately, he was born to selfish aunts and uncles who couldn’t bear to see him succeed the throne and alas, they set a trap for him and he was cursed into coma for eternity.” He took a step closer to her.

He must be ancient she thought, slightly amused at his story-telling skills.

“He’s not that old.” He answered with a slight smile on his face. Right, forgot he could read my mind. “He was cursed when he was 8 years old and it has been 12 years since then. It is said that on his 21st birthday, if his love does not find him and give him a true love’s kiss he will never wake up.” His face suddenly turned dark and So-Hyun could suddenly feel the wind blowing through her measly winter coat, reminding her they were still outside and that he was most likely speaking nonsense, so she needed to leave very soon.

“What kind of fairy-tale is this? Why is the princess saving the prince?” She asked rubbing her hands together for warmth.

He smirked at her question before closing the distance between them and circling her as if there was something he knew that she didn’t. “Who says the prince has to be the only one to do the saving?” He whispered. “Love knows no title, no sovereignty but love is a bond, and love saves – regardless of being a prince or princess.”

“…If this is all true, then why don’t I have any memory of this?” She questioned, somehow being pulled in by his words.

“Well, you see when they cursed the prince, because of the great love that the princess had for him they erased him from her memory so that she would forget his existence and grow to marry the Prince’s cousin. But she didn’t. The princess was a smart child, she refused to marry his cousin even after her memory of him was stripped away so they cast her out into a place called Earth for her disobedience. One thing that those traitorous beings called family didn’t know was that the prince and princess shared a secret. Just before his disappearance they both exchanged amulets as sentiments of their love.”

Love at eight years old? What am I doing with my life.

“They might’ve been young, but their bond was like no other.” He countered.

So-Hyun sighed. As much as she would like to believe that she was the lead in a children’s story book, she couldn’t. She’s not a kid anymore and she didn’t have the time for this. “I’m sorry to break it to you, but I don’t have this amulet thing that you’re talking about, and quite frankly I’m not Princess material, so I can’t help you.”

She slowly backed away, bracing herself for the long path back home.

She thought that walking home and resting would erase the happenings of that night, but that wasn’t the case. From that night onwards, he would visit that same bus stop every morning and night. He would never say anything, nor would he ever follow her, he would simply watch as she got on and off the bus, but So-Hyun knew exactly what it was that he wanted. She couldn’t give it to him nor would she believe him, because things like that never existed, not in her world.

~~

Three weeks later, So-Hyun was tiredly doing the dishes from the dinner she had made for her step-family. When her father wasn’t here they never allowed her to eat with them, so she always sat by the foot of the stairs and throughout dinner all she could hear was how the food ‘never matched their taste buds’ or how ‘lazy’ she was. She was used to it by now, the constant remarks and jabs at her the very chance they got. All she had to do was holdout for another year and she might just be able to save up enough for a deposit and first few months of rent. 

One more year So-Hyun-ah! Fighting!

“Yah! Kim So-Hyun!” The loud screeching of her step-sister’s voice descending the stairs made her drop the cup she was washing. “You stole my money, didn’t you?” She asked, and So-Hyun sighed not having energy for her accusations tonight.

“Jin-ah. I didn’t touch your money. I didn’t know you even had money.” She replied in a monotone voice. Her step-sister’s accusations and outbursts had become routine for So-Hyun, even post-puberty.

“Don’t lie! I know you took it, who else would be as greedy as to take it!” She screamed, grabbing So-Hyun’s ponytail. “Did you think that I wouldn’t know? You’re the one that cleans my room, why wouldn’t you pick up money that you’ve seen!?”

So-Hyun who was caught off-guard, twisted herself so that she was now face to face with her step-sister. “Since when did I touch anything of yours anyway. If you don’t trust me, then why do you make me clean your room every day? Won’t you let go?”

“I won’t let go until you give me my money back!” Her step-sister refuted, pulling her hair tighter.

“I don’t have your stupid money!” S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter