2/9

Offering
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hanbin settles by the window, resting his head against the velvet cushion of the armchair. A small fire from the hearth warms his tired bones as he brood over tonight’s unlikely events. The wound on his leg is healing quickly, but the damaged muscles in his arm need more time without consuming human blood. An option that he does not like to consider.

 

The slayer’s presence shakes his nerves. If he remembers correctly, he fits the description of an infamous hunter who’s rumored to be as fast and strong as a vampyre despite his miniature appearance. They call him White Swan not only because of his appearance, but because of the immaculate way he leaves behind the vampyre corpses. Their hearts cleanly carved out and their covens purified with holly and rose water.

 

Who knew that Hanbin’s own coven became such a threat that they’d send someone with such a high profile to destroy them? Based on his reputation, he didn’t expect the slayer to spare him the way he did. When they made eye contact, he saw how those steel eyes sparked to life with hatred and repugnance. He's sure that the slayer would have driven the stake through his heart after the first strike.

 

Facing the brink of death, Hanbin said whatever is needed to buy time for the others to escape even if he gets sacrificed in the process. He expected defiance, bravado, and taunting, but mercy?

 

Hanbin doesn’t know any living slayer who would have conceded a sure win just because he asked nicely. Why would the champion of slayers risk his reputation and principles just for him? He wouldn’t have done it if they switch places. He hasn’t the faintest idea why he spared him, and if Hanbin has to owe a life debt to a human, he has to at least understand why.

 

A knock on the door distracts him from his thoughts.

 

“Come in.”

 

The footsteps are unmuffled and confident, leather soles rap steadily on bare wooden floor and finally stop beside him. The fragrance of incense slowly fills the room, thick and hazy with a hint of ash.

 

“It’s not like you to be so careless,” drawls a familiar voice. The deep sound soothes his nerves, smoothing across his shoulders and down his body in a light caress. A hand descends and the side of his arm in a gentle sweep. The haze thickens. Hanbin draws in a long breathe and an even longer exhale.

 

“He’s fast for a human,” he admits.

 

“And beautiful, ” the voice adds quietly.

 

Hanbin blinks open his eyes and turns his face towards his companion. “It’s not the reason why I spared him, Jaewon.”

 

Plenty have tried to uproot his coven from their home, and they’ve always successfully defended themselves through glamours and wards. If they persisted, Jiwon and Donghyuk takes them into the tavern to get them drunk and confused. Hanbin doesn’t want to kill anyone if he can help it. He only wants to live a peaceful life where he belongs, as much as he can, without the interference of the ministry. His family will not end up like the vampyres who’ve submitted.

 

“I know that. I also know when you find someone pleasing,” Jaewon lips twitches into a grin when it clearly hits a nerve with Hanbin. He’s slightly shorter than him, but older and wiser for a fledgling. His short hair is as dark as midnight and eyes the color of the moon matching his handsome face. Hanbin loves watching that face light up with laughter, even if it’s at his own expense.

 

“I admire him for his skills. No other has lasted this long in a fight against me,” flexing his arm, Hanbin can still feel the after effects of the locket’s curse.

 

“Of course, you weren’t trying your best.”

 

Hanbin disagrees but decides to avoid the implication of that statement. “I’m glad none of you were here. More blood would’ve been shed because of me, and I’d hate myself.”

 

“So, what now? We can’t keep him here.”

 

“We’ll have to, for now,” Hanbin instructs firmly.

 

“Fine. They’ll agree to whatever you say anyway.”

 

Choosing to not pursue the subject for now, the fledging holds his hand out to Hanbin. His fingers curl softly around his as they stand together and walk into the hallway.

 

Murky light from the tall glass windows lit their path as they cross the long corridor. The rest of his coven waits for them in the main hall to talk about the problem at hand. After a short moment of suppressed silence, the fledgling voices his concern once more, “What if he lures the rest of them to us?”

 

“The last failed raid has the guild all in a frenzy so they’re on a massive hunt for vampyres across the country.” Hanbin explains, knowing that Jaewon hates listening to the town gossip whenever they make their trip to town, and therefore, misses the important information that’s useful to them. “Spread out so thin, they’re disorganized. It’ll be weeks before they realized something went wrong, then two more weeks until they reach here.”

 

The older’s sigh is filled with twice the worry. “You can’t convince him over to our side, Bin-ah. He hates every single one of us.”

 

“I haven’t made a decision yet.” They slow to a halt in front of the room ahead.

 

“Ah, I don’t like sharing. I like that I’m your only fledgling.” Although his tone is in jest, there’s still a hint of uncertainty. With only the two of them in the hallway, Hanbin releases his hold on the door handle and grabs Jaewon in a tight embrace.

 

Tangling a hand in Jaewon’s hair and Hanbin pulls him forward in a firm grip. Brow against brow, they stare into each other’s eyes. “I won’t take another fledging ever again. You were an exception, and I need you to trust me if you want to stay with me. Understand?”

 

The moment stretches before Jaewon nods to accept his assurance and beams happily at his mentor. Together, they open the double wooden doors to their friends who await them.

 

 

*

 

 

“Hey, sleeping beauty.”

 

Awareness comes to Jinhwan first as a wicked headache, and then as a slowly spinning room when he opens his eyes. His reaction is to uncurl and roll over onto his feet, but his body doesn’t want to listen. He tries to push upright and belatedly notices that his arms are tied behind his back. The hunter flops back with a groan when pulling against the restraints makes them even tighter.

 

Is this the next day? How long was he out?

 

“You like fruit?”

 

Jinhwan his dry lips and groans unintelligently. Was he drooling? It doesn’t matter. He can’t even wipe it if he tries.

 

“Wonderful, as if I don’t have enough on my hands! Now I have to babysit a mute.”

 

Jinhwan concentrates hard enough to make out the distinctly gruff voice.

 

There’s a noise that sounds like a ceramic sliding across the floor, the volume of which further aggravates Jinhwan’s migraine. Sluggishly rolling over to his other side, Jinhwan can see that he’s behind bars in the middle of a massive study, and large windows that overlook the cliffs and the waterfall. He squints hard against the brilliant light.

 

“They used to keep birds in this cage. Beautiful things, but they never sang.”

 

His eyes dart around to locate the speaker and they find him sitting diagonal to him, a plate of apples lay by his feet closer to where Jinhwan can reach. Feeling as though he’s in a dream, Jinhwan lies staring at the red fruit as the rest of his mind desperately catches up with him.

 

“You have a name, blondie?” The vampire rambles on as he munches on the crisp fruit while idly wiping a hand agains the leg of his pants. His pale eyes focuses on him, small and gentle in contrast to his tall frame.

 

It takes a short moment for Jinhwan to piece together the events leading up to his current demise. He stares at the young vampire. Part of the nest but not a fledgling, doesn’t act like one.

 

“Up,” Jinhwan croaks, his throat feels like sandpaper. He swallows again to get his voice back.

 

The vampire grins in an apologetic way that confuses and irritates the hunter even more. “Sorry, I rather not. Given that you almost kill our leader and all.”

 

Jinhwan works enough moisture back in his mouth to speak. “And he almost returned the favor.” He lifts his chin, knowing that the bruises around his throat have properly formed into blue and purple splotches. To some relief, he can still talk without water, that means it’s only been a day at most.

 

Chucking the remaining apple core away, the tall vampire stands up to examine his throat and tsks. “Hanbin’s a motivator and planner, but he has this odd policy of not hurting humans or drink human blood. That’s why he’s not as powerful as the rest of us.” He leans in closer so Jinhwan can see the extended incisors as his mouth widens. “You were lucky that it wasn’t me,” he whispers darkly, “I would’ve crushed your throat right then and there.”

 

Jinhwan glares defiantly at his captor. “Kill me, and my friends will hunt down every single one of you.”

 

The sound of a loud cackle abruptly startles Jinhwan, and he watches the vampire in front of him wipes tears off the corners of his eyes as he laughs. Jinhwan's cheeks flush from not knowing what’s so funny about what he just said.

 

“You’re cute. Feisty. I like that. Name’s Jiwon.” The vampire’s lips curl up into a lazy smile, his grinning eyes hold alluring promises.

 

“Yah, Kim Jiwon. Leave him alone.” A gentle voice says, it comes from beyond where Jinhwan can see from the ground, but there’s a clanking of keys accompanying it.

 

“I was only watching over him like Hanbin asked,” the vampire named Jiwon sulks like a scolded child.

 

“I heard everything you said, klavasi. You’re taunting him.”

 

A boy that looks younger than him comes into view and Jinhwan watches him turn the key to his prison. Of course, he’s no boy, Jinhwan knows it from the antiquated word he chose to address the other and from the slightly protruding fangs in what would be a polite grin otherwise. When he steps near, Jinhwan instinctively scoots to the back of the cage.

 

A pretty face greets him.

 

“I’m sorry for my mentor’s behavior. I’m Donghyuk, and we’re in charge of you for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter