Sometimes, A Meddler is Needed

Sometimes, A Meddler is Needed

 

 

“Houston, we have a problem.”

Changmin looked up from his book, a black haired person sliding in front of the seat of him. Jaejoong was breathing heavily, and it seemed like he was running earlier and it looked like an emergency.

He raised an eyebrow.

“Yes?” Changmin placed his book down, shifting his focus on the elder. He might be the youngest of out their circle of friends –heck there is only him, Jaejoong and Junsu in the circle, but he was often sought after for advice by the other two. He might be younger in terms of years, but he was the mature one among the three, not that they wanted to admit.

It was not that he did not love his friends, he loved them dearly but they, sometimes made him considered his choice of friends. He looked at the elder, watching him carefully. It must be Yunho again. Changmin pulled a smirk, waiting for the elder to speak, or more of wanting to confirm his suspicion. It was always like this, the elder will come to him, running, and then ranting about that undeniably handsome junior of his (Jaejoong’s words not his) and how he drove him up to the wall.

“It’s Yunho.” Bingo. Changmin snorted as he shifted in his seat, focusing more attention on the elder.

“What did—“ “That had the gall to drag me to be in a group with him.”

“Interesting.” He laughed. It was a good thing that he chose to spend time, sitting in a café instead of at the library. So, that he can laugh without reserve. Also, interesting because he knew about Yunho’s obvious crush on Jaejoong, and that poor person was so desperate for Jaejoong’s attention, that instead of being the perfect gentleman, that able to sway anyone off her, in Yunho’s case, his feet, he had instead reverted into a kid, pulling pranks and annoying the out of his crush.

He wanted to tell Jaejoong the truth so bad, but why would he ruined his source of amusement? Changmin chuckled.

“This is serious, Changmin.” Jaejoong groaned. He was definitely not welcoming this reaction from the younger, “how could I tolerate him, when all he is such a jerk?”

Changmin shrugged, picking up his drink, “you know, you could tell the professor straight away that you don’t want to be in the same group as him.” He took a sip, and pulled a straight smile, indirectly telling Jaejoong ‘the solution is so simple’.

Jaejoong groaned again as he slumped on the table. “I wish I could do that.”

“What’s stopping you?” Changmin placed his drink on the table, asking nonchalantly at Jaejoong as the older abruptly straighten his posture, looking at Changmin dead in the eye.

“He gave me that look.” Changmin laughed. Same old Jae hyung, he shook his head. “I can’t back down from a challenge.” Hearing it made Changmin laughed harder.

“Gosh, hyung. You’re so easy.” He managed to let out a coherent sentence in his fit of laughter. Jaejoong groaned –he hated Changmin’s gut, sometimes.

“Why can’t I have anyone but you?” Changmin was still laughing. It irked Jaejoong and he proceeded to kick the younger legs under the table, prompting the younger to stop laughing.

“I also don’t why I’m friends with you.” He was wheezing, as he wiped the tears coming out from his eyes. That was a good laugh, Changmin in a deep chunk of air.

“That should be my line, Changmin.” He scowled, taking Changmin’s drink and emptying the remaining contents, with Changmin shouting ‘Ahh, hyung’ at him. He was a petty person and it felt good to see that little sad look when looking his favourite drink, gone.

“Look hyung—“ Changmin said, in all seriousness, half pissed because Jaejoong finished his drink and now he had to order a new one, and the other half was getting tired of the two of them, namely Jung and Kim, dancing around in this game of attraction, “—trying to be a man, I guess, if it means never backing off from a challenge make you a man—“ Jaejoong looked at him, confusing surfacing on his face, “—never mind, what I’m trying to say is, it is okay trying to prove yourself manly all the time, but backing off from a challenge, which I don’t know, something that isn’t worth your time, is normal, and it doesn’t make you any less of a coward, or manly. I mean, why would you want to prove something to someone you hate?”

“Okay, but—“ “I’m just saying, if you hate Yunho-hyung so much, he is not worth your attention okay.”

Jaejoong looked at him, straight to the eyes, watching the younger, comprehending Changmin’s words in his brain. It made sense, but it was also so Changmin-like, so like him to give an advice like that. He always preferred to live his life in peace and harmony, free of conflict and things that drains energy out of him. But, he was not Changmin and he did not want to back out from this challenge. Sure, Yunho irked him, he was annoying and Jaejoong can’t stand him, but deep inside, he did not know why he wanted to get some acknowledgement from him so much.

Yunho was incredibly smart and he had a good fortitude, and Jaejoong was amazed with that. He hated that man, but in a deep, deepest part of his heart, he was impressed. He liked Yunho gentleness when he interacted with others, and how much insight the taller had. It was remarkable. It was also the reason why he cannot back out from this taunt-one-another game they were playing. He wanted to astound the latter –he wanted to gain his acknowledgement. He wanted Jeong Yunho to see that he is as good as he is.

“I got you a strawberry smoothie.” Changmin pushed the drink right in front of him, while sipping on his own. He was so deep in his thought –Jaejoong didn’t realise that Changmin had moved away from his seat to get drinks for them.

“Thanks.” Jaejoong sipped it –too quickly as he was flabbergasted with the thought of how he truly felt for Yunho, he ended up getting a brain freeze, “urgh.”

“Gosh, hyung.” Changmin handed him a tissue, which he accepted with a thanks, wiping his mouth before drinking the smoothie slowly. “So, hyung—“ Changmin eyed the latter, carefully before asking him, “Do you like Yunho-hyung?”

Jaejoong choked on his drink upon grasping Changmin’s question, and coughed loudly as Changmin laughed. This kid, he glared at the younger while getting his breathing back to normal.

“You—“ Eyes wide, Jaejoong placed his drink on the table, a bit harsh and pointing his finger at Changmin, “—don’t joke like that—“ Changmin raised his eyebrow playfully, humming in a means to , “—what like? I hate him, okay. H-a-t-e.”

Changmin shrugged and took a sip of his drink, smirking knowingly at Jaejoong. “Whatever you say hyung.”

He hate him, does he? Jaejoong scowled at Changmin.

Changmin knew he was a meddling piece of , as Junsu would say often –berated him, but that did not stop him from living up to his name. He was sad seeing his beloved friend suffering from his denial about his soon-to-be-realised crush on Yunho and plus, he was getting tired with dealing and hearing Jaejoong complaining about Yunho every single day.

His ears needed rest and he had to do something before it gets out of hand. So, being the more mature and of course, being the one blessed with more intelligence out of the two, he thought up of a plan that was planned to perfection, or in this case, more of him interfering in things that he should and nobody needed to know that. It was his secret to keep. The key players were none other than the main stars of this much drama –Jaejoong and Yunho.

He was close with both Yunho and Yoochun, and his other two beloved friends did not know, especially Jaejoong. So, now here he was, sitting on the bed, in the confines of one of the key player’s room, munching the offering that was offered to him (correction: the snack that was given to him in a means of shutting him up).

“So, hyung.” He pushed more chips in his mouth, “what do you plan on doing?” Changmin looked at the direction of the man, his back facing Changmin as he was typing furiously on his computer.

“On what?” Yunho answered, eyes fixed on the screen. The overachiever’s brain was working hard, frying the idea to complete his essay that was due next week.

“Jaejoong hyung.” Changmin nonchalantly said and Yunho stopped whatever he was doing, abruptly turning to face the younger –which had a smug grin plastered on his face, teasing the elder.

“What about him?” Yunho nervously asked, earning him a look from the younger. Yunho knew that look was, it was saying: Oh, really hyung? Are we going to go there? He sighed in submission. “Fine, shut the grin off your face. It’s annoying.”

Changmin rolled his eyes, munching another mouthful of chips, “so?”

“What?”

“Oh, god. I thought Jaejoong hyung is the dumb one.”

Yunho ears perked up at the mention of the name responsible for his pinning. He raised his eyebrow, scooting his chair closer to Changmin. “What did Jaejoong said?” He asked, eyes wandering everywhere but Changmin, causing the younger to explode in laughter. In his fits of laughter Yunho can catch him saying ‘Hyung, you are incredible’. Yunho grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it to the person that was dying with laughter, hard.

“Aww, hyung. Don’t kill the middleman.” Changmin said between his laughter before he took a deep breath, calming himself down. The pillow Yunho threw earlier nestled in his embrace, “You know Jaejoong hyung hate you right?”

“Is it like an intense hate, or hate hate?” “What?”

“You know—“ He sighed loudly, pursing his lips together, trying to form a intelligible sentence, “—argh, I don’t know.” Yunho buried his face on both of his palm, sighing again.

Changmin looked at Yunho, trying to be serious. He really needed to stop teasing both of his friends before he ended up losing his head, for real. “Hyung—“ Yunho looked up to him, eyes full of hope, “—okay, pressure—“ Yunho rolled his eyes.

“Could you be serious for once?”

“Sorry.” Changmin laughed as he slid his hand in front of his face, in a means of changing his expression to serious, “So, you know why Jaejoong hyung hate you?” He said in a deadpan manner at the older.

Ouch. Yunho flinched at the sudden attack before thinking of an answer. “I too much?”

“Good. You’re not that dumb, good.” Changmin clapped his hand causing Yunho to groan again and yelled his name.

“I’m older than you.”

“So?” He laid the bag of chip away, safely on the side on the bed. He inched closer to Yunho, “On second thought, you know for someone so intelligent, why are you so dumb? You don’t need me to spell things out for you, hyung.”

“Changmin.” Yunho grabbed the pillow from Changmin hold and continued to smack him with it. Changmin groaned, as he pleaded for mercy, albeit laughing at Yunho mockingly.

“You know, you could just not . That’s the most obvious solution to this drama.”

“I know—“ Changmin scooted closer to him, “—but he is so cute when he is all frustrated and all.” He nodded at Yunho, as he looked at his troubled friend, pressing his lips together.

“Understandable, but hyung—“ He smirked, “—we aren’t in kindergarteners, and you want Jaejoong hyung to like you back.” Yunho nodded, “you need to change your strategies, something that is more mature and suitable for this stage? And Jae hyung likes someone who’s dependable and caring.”

“I am that.”

“You’re.” Changmin drawled as he looked at him sceptically, and then looking around as in trying to soften the blow he about to deliver, “look hyung, in all honesty, you’re Jaejoong hyung type—” Yunho ears perked at that, “—excluding the teasing. So, if you could cut down the teasing a bit, you’ll have the key to his heart.”

Yunho sighed heavily, looking downcast.

“I don’t know, Changmin.” Changmin groaned, really irritated with the response he was getting from Yunho, and stood up. This was not going anywhere. Changmin was sure these two stupid people will kill him sooner or later. He grabbed both side of Yunho’s chair, shaking it in frustration, letting out some steam. “Whoa, Changminnie, calm down.”

“God, hyung. Could you just man up and go get him already. It hurts seeing you pinning for Jaejoong hyung for three years, and he is graduating this year, and I can’t stand it if Jaejoong hyung keep coming back to uni just to complain about you, because I’m sure you are going to find a way to keep meeting him and if that happen, I’m gonna drop the bomb on him, whether you’ll like it or not.”

“O-okay.” Yunho held both his hands up in surrender, stunned by the sudden outburst from Changmin, “I’m going to try—“ Changmin grumbled, “—hard.”

“Good.”

Jaejoong was basking in the sun’s warmth, after being huddled in a long morning class. He was tired and the sun was making him sleepy. The sunlight felt good on his skin.

“Jaejoong!” He looked toward the direction of the voice. The bright sunlight blinded him, showing him a figure, towering in front of him. “What are you doing?” Yunho took a seat beside him.

He was physically drained from the class earlier, and now he had to deal with Yunho? Jaejoong groaned and started to think of ways to chase him away.

Jeong Yunho was his junior but they were born on the same year. The friendliest human being he ever known and others had described him as a ball of sunshine. Well, everyone except for him. He was an insufferable, annoying, piece of trash that Jaejoong would very much like to avoid. Also, this jerk liked to that it was too much. Jaejoong did not know why he liked to so much, or always making him the centre of embarrassment around everyone and making every single person in the room laughed at him.

He definitely, hated him. He doesn’t want to deal with him and getting his mood sourer than it already was. He gathered his stuffs on his lap, quickly pushing it all into his bag. He then dashed away from Yunho.

“Where are you going?” Yunho laughed as he easily caught up to him. Curse his short legs, Jaejoong groaned but he kept increasing his pace.

“Away. From. You.” He is too near, Jaejoong gave him a side stink eye.

“But, why?” Jaejoong stopped in his track, and turned to face Yunho. Eyes, staring sharply at Yunho.

“You see, we aren’t exactly on the best terms, and I would appreciate if you would ignore me and I would pretend you don’t exist.” He spat, shooting laser from his eyes. Yunho rubbed the back of his head, scrunching his nose, trying to form his intention.

“Look, Jae—” Jaejoong rolled his eyes, and he turned to walk away from Yunho before he can finish talking. Jaejoong thought he had waste a lot of time on him. He ignored the call from Yunho, continued walking away from him.

“Let me finish, please.” Yunho blocked his path, almost causing him to collide against Yunho. Jaejoong, unhappy, yelled an angry ‘what’ at him. “I’m here to make peace.” Jaejoong looked at him, seeing the genuineness in his eyes, “I’m serious, and could we start over?” Yunho held out his hand. Jaejoong looked at his hand confusedly, and then at the man himself. He pondered for a while before deciding to take his offer.

“Okay, but don’t think I’ve forgiven you.” Yunho nodded as Jaejoong accepted his hand.

“I’m Yunho. Jeong Yunho.” He smiled, shaking their hands, signifying a new fresh meeting.

“I’m Kim Jaejoong. Hope we will be friends.”

”I hope so too.” Yunho smiled, as he shook their intertwining hands a bit excitedly.

….

Jaejoong threw his belongings on the bed and settled down beside it. He thought of the last events. The food was good. He mused while the event came to view.

“You made a reservation?”

The latter nodded.

“Reservation?”

“Ummpgh” The latter spoke with a mouthful of meat.

“Liar.”

Yunho glupped down his meal and looked at his senior. “I did, I swear. The owner is my dad’s friend. I especially told him to save the best meat for us today.”

“A-ah?”

“Believe me. Nothing but the best for you.” Yunho winked at him.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes as he ignored him and continued eating his meat. It was delicious, he admitted and he might come again soon. Jaejoong dipped the delicacy into the sauce.

He was snapped out of his reverie when his phone rang.

Jerk

He should change Yunho’s name on his phone. Jaejoong smiled when he thought about the relationship between him and Yunho. They had beyond doubt improved for better and Yunho had been behaving less like before. He was snapped out from his train of thought at the constant ringing of his phone. Did Yunho somehow know he was thinking about him? Jaejoong eyed his cell suspiciously before picking up the call.

“Jaejoong, what took you so long?”

“What—“

“Anyway, could you come out now?” Yunho said, cutting his sentence.

“Why?”

“I am outside your building right now.”

“What?” Jaejoong scrambled onto his feet and looked outside from his window. There he saw Yunho, huddled beside the lamp post, and as the latter noticed him, Yunho smiled his most brightness smile, a smile demeaning the sun.

“What are you doing?” He whispered into the phone, causing Yunho to laugh.

“I’m cold. Hurry up.”

“I’m not coming.”

“Eh, why?” Jaejoong heard him sneezing soon after. “Please, Jaejoong.”

From the window he can see Yunho making his best puppy eyes to him and followed with him saying ‘Jaejoong’ in the most persuasive tone. Why can he hear it in his mind? He doesn’t know if that was possible, but right now, a Kim Jaejoong was successfully swayed.

“Please.” Yunho drawled. Dammit.

“Fine.” With that he ended the phone call, picking up his jacket while cursing the person that was waiting for him right now and made his way down to meet the said person. Yunho beamed upon seeing him. He stood up as Jaejoong walked towards him. He was too bright, Jaejoong shivered, he can feel his energy being out from him.

“So?” He asked but Yunho only smiled at him, not answering him. He held out his right hand. Jaejoong looked at him confusedly. Yunho didn’t budged and he was still holding out his right hand. Jaejoong slowly handed his right hand to be taken by Yunho’s.

“Okay, let’s go.” He announced cheerfully.

“Wait, what?” Everything happened so fast, that Jaejoong found himself being dragged by the male with the hand intertwining tightly.

“Jeong Yunho, where are you taking me?” Jaejoong tried to pull away but he simply failed to do so. Why is he so strong? This is so irritating.

“Stop struggling. Now.” They had arrived at a car, which then he realised it was Yunho’s.

“Wait. No.” Yunho opened the door and pushed him inside. “No. Yunho. This is kidnap—” Yunho closed the door. Jaejoong looked at Yunho’s figure walking to the other side. He tried to open the door but it remained closed. Dammit, he locked it. Yunho slid inside and quickly started the engine.

“Yunho. I want out.” Jaejoong shrieked at him. He turned his body to face the door, but then he felt a hand pulling him, pushing him back into the seat. Jaejoong breath hitched when Yunho leaned closer. So, close he can feel his breathing.

What was he doing? Jaejoong felt his heart started to beat faster and louder, that he was afraid that Yunho can hear it. Thump, thump. Their faces were literally inches apart, and if he moved any closer their nose will be touching. He gulped. Jaejoong’s mind was too occupied by the sudden proximity that he did not realised the latter had strapped the seatbelt on him.

“Need to obey the traffic rules.” Yunho smiled, that teasing smile of his, and continued to fasten his. It took a lot of time to calm his erratic heartbeat and during that time, Jaejoong did not realised they had driven away from his neighbourhood and they was going further away from Seoul.

……

“It is hours till sunrise you know.” Jaejoong narrowed his eyes at Yunho. Yunho just brushed him off, sipping the coffee he brought at a coffee shop drive-thru on their way.

“You could just call me when it’s near sunrise.” Yunho pouted his mouth, nodding his head as in agreement with him, and Jaejoong was getting irritated with his nonchalant responses.

“Then, why don’t you?” He cried angrily. Yunho sipped more of his coffee before stretching his long body inside the small space in the car.

“It’ll be hours till sunrise, we better get some sleep.” He smiled, ignoring Jaejoong’s question and reclined his car seat.

This man. Really. Jaejoong felt his face getting hotter and redder.

“Goodnight Jaejoong.” Yunho smiled and then closed his eyes.

Jaejoong spent the night plotting on many ways to kill the man sleeping peacefully beside him. Jeong Yunho as always, never fails in getting him all riled up and irritated. He tried countless way to avoid him at college, but this person was like a spirit hunting him. He was everywhere. It was like he had placed some detecting device, like those things on spy movies, on him.

Jaejoong looked at his sleeping face, sighed dejectedly. He looked like a child, so innocent. He sighed again, only to be so annoying and irritating when he opens those damn beautiful eyes of his. Okay, maybe less annoying for now, Jaejoong unconsciously smiled.

Beautiful? He shook his head, denying his thoughts. Jaejoong gazed at Yunho’s face again. He is ugly and evil. Look at that small face, that really, really disproportionate face. He stared at him, longer. There was something he cannot describe when he looked at Yunho’s face. Something that he did not know if he wanted to find out.

“I take your breath away right?” Yunho suddenly spoke and startling Jaejoong. He ily smirked at him, knowing he had caught him in act. “I’m too handsome right?” He said in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

“Good morning.” Jaejoong decided to ignore his last comment and took a deep breath, collecting his composure and definitely not looking at the man beside him. Yunho laughed before replying him a good morning as well. Yunho then, languidly stretched his statuesque body. Jaejoong found himself stealing a glance at him. He hurried looked away and hoped he was being discreet about that. Unluckily for him, that didn’t quite escape from Yunho.

Yunho grinned and decided not to comment on Jaejoong not-so-discreet observation on him. He let out a chuckle and it got him with the doe-eyed beauty narrowing his eyes at him. “Well, it’s almost sunrise. Shall we?” He spoke out, acting nonchalant.

Yunho then unlocked the car and opened his door, while Jaejoong remains seated in his seat, watching Yunho’s movement. His door was then opened by Yunho and he made a butler-like gesture, holding his hand out for Jaejoong. “Shall we go, lady?”

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes, and slapped Yunho’s hand away. He certainly did not appreciate that remark.

Jaejoong strode away, paying no attention to the latter. He sat on the hood of the car, followed by Yunho.

“Jae—” “Don’t talk to me. I’m still pissed at you.” Jaejoong spat and Yunho just laughed at him. Pissed, Jaejoong hit his arm.

“Ouch, what is this? Violence?” Yunho asked playfully.

“You’re so annoying.” He laughed, sighing in defeat. Since they are being civil with each other, Jaejoong cannot stay angry for too long at him.

“I get under your skin.” He raised his brows suggestively.

“More like on my nerves.” He laughed again.

“Jae—” Yunho paused, waiting for any reaction from Jaejoong before continuing talking, “—you know I am really excited to watch the sunrise with you.”

Yunho waited for Jaejoong’s reaction from the corner of his eyes. Unfortunately for him, Jaejoong was maintaining his poker face. Seeing that Jaejoong was deemed on ignoring him, Yunho sighed as he turned his attention to the rising sunrise.

They both sat in silent, watching as the scenery unfolded upon them, as the sun appeared over the horizon. Brilliant colours of red and orange scattered on the sky, aweing both of the spectators. Yunho turned to gaze at the person beside him, admiring him. Jaejoong looked heavenly and it was making everything about him look ethereal.

“I’m glad you brought me here.” Jaejoong said, looking straight at Yunho, a soft smile grazing his face. The rays were showering his face, bathing Jaejoong in the soft light, and Yunho was seeing a vision.

Yunho felt a lump stuck in his throat.

….

Jaejoong had not saw Yunho for almost a week, and it was bothering him. He should not worry too much about him. They were just friends, why would he worry so much about him? He sighed as he dropped his head.

Taking a deep breath, Jaejoong shook his head and released it after. He looked at his assignment –their assignment, pausing at the same spot from an hour ago. He grumbled and picked up the book in front of him. Jaejoong flipped through the pages, searching for the topic that was related with what he was working on.

After minutes of flipping, he was already nearing the appendices –finding no materials for the assignment. Jaejoong sighed as he closed the book and looked around of a while. Deciding to at least finding all the materials for the assignment today, he get off the chair he was sitting on, walking to shelf, with the book earlier in his hand. He spotted the collecting tray for the used book and walked to it to put the book away. Then, he looked around and decided to try the literature section, hoping to find the needed materials.

Eyes browsing the tittles, Jaejoong’s fingers glided gently along the book spine, before he bumped onto someone. He turned his head to apologise to the stranger, only to realise that the person was not a stranger at all.

Both eyes stared at each other.

“Jae.” He said, as he smiled sheepishly towards Jaejoong, breaking the silence between them. Yunho pulled the book from the shelf and held it on his right hand. He turned his whole body to face Jaejoong.

He took a deep breath before doing the same as Yunho and said, “Yunho.”

They stared at each other for a while before Yunho began speaking again, “assignment?”

Jaejoong nodded.

“Can’t find what you’re looking for?”

He nodded again.

“Ah, should I go?” Jaejoong raised his brow, looking at the latter confusedly. Yunho rubbed the back of his neck, his posture tense, “I feel like I’m disturbing you.”

“Ahh.” Jaejoong just realised his lack of enthusiasm in replying to Yunho. He shook his head and gave out a small smile, “I’m just tired. It’s not like you’re disturbing or anything. Besides, I’m working on our assignment.”

“Ah, oh—” Yunho smiled and visibly relaxed his stature, and continued, “–need some help?”

Jaejoong stared at him for a moment, contemplating whether to take on his offer or not, and deciding to accept it. He shrugged. “Sure.”

Yunho smiled and said, “Don’t regret it later.”

It was a sincere smile from Yunho, not his usual teasing smile, and for the first time, Jaejoong heard a warning sound blaring in his heart.

“Changmin.”

Jaejoong knew he needed to stop going to Changmin for advice. It was not because he gave bad advice, but knowing Changmin, Jae loved the little and he knew it, and because of that the little loved to handle his issues by making him standing outside his comfortable bubble. Changmin just loved hitting him with brutal truth, making him very, very uncomfortable, but he was unable to retort because it was the truth.

“Is it Yunho hyung again?” Changmin asked, eyes staring at him and Jaejoong knew he was suppressing his laughter.

Why does he have to be so Changmin. Jaejoong sighed. He remembered his apprehension when he complained to Changmin about Yunho earlier, and when Changmin asked if he likes that man, and he just covered the truth with the guise of admiration.

So right now, Jaejoong was in a dilemma. Why? It was because he was so sure that his hate for Yunho will soon erase his admiration for the latter. But fate liked to play a twist on everyone. Everyone likes a good twist. He realised, after spending time with Yunho –with Yunho being civil to him and cutting down the teasing, that he liked him. He liked Jeong Yunho. The admiration had grown into something bigger, and something troubling, and right now Jaejoong was also convinced that the man wasn’t interested in him in the slightest bit. Somehow.

“I like Yunho.”

“About time, hyung.” He smirked at the elder. Jaejoong looked at him confusedly, trying to make sense of his words.

“What?”

“It was pretty obvious you know. Congratulation on being smart again.” He laughed, before returning to serious mode again, “so, what’s it?”

Jaejoong looked at him, pursing his lips together, taking his time to think, “I—“ he stopped, linking his fingers together, eyes downcast, “—I don’t think he likes me.”

Changmin gaped at him in silence, slapped his forehead and proceeded to sigh in frustration, “and now you’re dumb again.”

“Hey, I’m older than you.” “And you come to me for advice, hyung.”

“I hate you.”

“Glad to know it’s mutual.” Changmin shrugged, shaking his head, “Why, on earth, do you think he isn’t interested in you?”

“I don’t know, it just feels that way.” Jaejoong said timidly, avoiding eye contact with the younger. Changmin shook his head, sighing loudly because he was so frustrated with Jaejoong way of thinking.

“Hyung, please, stop overthinking.” Changmin sighed. “You will never know whether Yunho hyung likes you back or not if you don’t get his attention. Let’s be real here, you’ve been literally, hating him since forever. How could he know you like him if you don’t show it?”

“How?”

“Urgh, hints?” Changmin drawled, before something came to his mind. “Wait, you know what, just go straight up tell him.”

“What?” Jaejoong already big eyes went wide, and Changmin was afraid if it was going to pop out from its socket soon, he snorted, “What kind of advice is that?”

Changmin looked up, thinking of Yunho painfully long crush on Jaejoong. How to say this without spilling anything? “Err—“ Jaejoong stared at him, squinting his eyes at the younger, “—err, you know. You will be graduating soon, hyung. So, because of time constriction and all, it’s better to go all out. No regrets.”

Jaejoong raised his eyebrow. It made sense somehow but it was an advice that was not Changmin-like. He looked at the Changmin more intently, the latter eyes were wandering everywhere but not at him, “Changmin, do you know something?”

“What are you talking, hyung?” Jaejoong continued to stare at him more strongly, when a conclusion clicked in his head.

Maybe, just maybe. Jaejoong smiled.

“I got to go.” Jaejoong said as he run off, not bothering to look behind, leaving the younger smirking in triumph. Changmin pulled out his cell, texting in the group chat with him, Yoochun and Junsu in.

Mission accomplished.

They were having a study session again, but this time he was in Yunho’s room. Jaejoong looked around, taking in the surrounding around him. Yunho’s room was messy, but it was full with things that sparked warmth. It was comforting.

“Ah, sorry for the mess. I haven’t had the chance to clean.” Jaejoong mouthed ‘it’s okay’ and Yunho gestured him to take the bed while rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, “make yourself comfortable. I’ll go get the materials.” Yunho moved to his study table, navigating through the messy stuffs and piles of papers, collecting the materials they needed.

He placed the pile of papers on the bed, sitting across from Jaejoong. “This is what I had found.” He looked up suddenly, and was taken aback by the proximity they were in. Time seemed to freeze and Yunho can see every single detail, those intricate details of Jaejoong’s face.

Beautiful. He gulped.

Their eyes locked into each other and the air was so thick, Yunho thought he can touch it with bare hands. He suddenly can’t breathe properly, can’t think properly and he was going to do a stupid thing. He just knew it.

“Am I that pretty that cat got your tongue?” Yunho laughed half-heartedly, running his gaze away from Jaejoong –in his mind he was slapping himself profusely because of that stupid question.

Why can’t you keep your mouth shut, Jeong Yunho? Do you want Jaejoong to like you or not? The room was filled with silence, both hesitant on their next moves. Yunho fidgeted as he raked his brain to ease the tense atmosphere.

“Yeah.” He turned to the source of the voice, seeing Jaejoong, eyes looking at his side, his hand covering half of his already small face.

Is that a tint of red he saw? Yunho widen his eyes, and he moved closer to Jaejoong. He felt a glimmer of hope in his heart.

“What—?” Jaejoong flustered, as he backed away on reflex, moving backward till he felt he was at the edge of the bed, any further and he will fall, and Yunho was so close. Yunho was resolute, he didn’t care what will happen later, and since he suddenly got the courage, might as well go through it, he thought. Go big or go home, he mused.

“I like you.” Jaejoong eyes had gone wide from hearing the sudden words coming out from Yunho’s mouth. He stared at him, intently. Yunho was teasing him again, he knew, he was smiling that teasing smile, and he felt bitter.

“Don’t do that.” Jaejoong pushed him away, and Yunho can see his eyes dropped, sighing heavily. It wasn’t a good expression on Jaejoong, “That was low, Yunho.”

“What?” Yunho looked at him, he was confused. What did he do?

“And here I thought you had changed.” He spat at Yunho, eyes staring at him, with disgust. He moved closer, trying to calm Jaejoong down.

“Jae—” “Don’t touch me.” Jaejoong threw away his hand harshly, his breath heaving and his tone of voice getting higher. Yunho sighed, his hands up in surrender.

“I’m sorry that somehow I ed things up and made you upset, but Jaejoong—” he took a deep breath, clenching his fist, “—I meant what I’ve said.”

Jaejoong looked at him, his mind screaming at him, encouraging him to take a chance. But, there was also a part of him that was unsettled, afraid of taking the chance, the risk. He knew the warning signs in his heart, how much he wanted Yunho in his life, and if this was another trick that he pulled just to spite him, Jaejoong didn’t know if he can recover from it.

“I—” Jaejoong bit his lower lips, “—how can I trust—” He was interrupted by a rough sensation pressing on his lips, cutting him off from finishing his sentence. His mind in haywire, and in front of him, there was Yunho, kissing him, eyes closed and he felt Yunho’s hand lifting his chin up, deepening the kiss.

He closed his eyes, resigning into the feeling on Yunho’s lips on his.

Soon, they pulled apart, both of them breathless and Yunho looking pleased at his achievement. “So, are you convinced yet?”

Jaejoong looked at him, his mind in a state of pandemonium.

“Not yet.” He said after a while and Yunho groaned, “but I’m willing to listen to more.” Laughter followed soon after, from both of them. Yunho watched at him, smiling softly at him, as he was the most precious person ever exist. He inched closer, pulling Jaejoong towards him and both of his hands softly grasping Jaejoong’s.

“Kim Jaejoong, I’ve been crushing on you since the first time I laid my eyes on you.” A gasp escaped from Jaejoong. Cute, he thought as he saw his shock expression. “It’s the truth. I haven’t been able to be inconspicuous about it towards everyone but you sadly.” He laughed.

“Well, you keep teasing me and I thought you were doing that just to irk me.” Yunho laughed again causing Jaejoong to break into a smile.

“You’re beautiful.”

“Excuse me?” Jaejoong faked a shock expression.

“When you smile, my heart aches because it is so beautiful. Your face when you looked at the stars, my heart beats fast because you are so beautiful.”

“So, you are saying, you like me just because I’m pretty? That’s insulting.” He teased, playfully hitting Yunho on his arm.

Yunho laughed, touching his lips lightly with Jaejoong’s. “No silly, that means I’m stupidly, irrevocably in love with you, that everything you do looks so beautiful.”

“We have a problem.”

A huge book was placed harshly in front of Changmin, startling the younger from his reading. He looked at the person –whom interrupting his peace and quiet, and a sense of dread washing over him.

“Wait, is this what you call Deja Vu?” Jaejoong eyed him, but opting to ignore the younger. His problem comes first.

“It’s Yunho.” “Whoa, freaky.”

“Changmin. Could you be serious for now?” They stared into each other for a moment, before Changmin sighing in defeat.

“What?” Changmin said, as he placed the bookmark between the pages he was reading, placing it down on the table, beside his iced Americano. His attention was now on the Jaejoong. The latter made a gesture, motioning him to move closer to him, so he did, being a good younger brother and friend after all.

“Yunho is so cute, I’m conflicted.” Changmin gaped at the older and felt this urge to punch him so bad to get rid of the nauseous feeling he felt. Jaejoong cupped his hands on the both sides of his cheeks, grinning widely. As for Changmin, he narrowed his eyes, throwing daggers at the elder. He had his tongue in his cheek, convincing himself that Jaejoong was not worth killing, and Jaejoong was older than him.

Jaejoong unaware of the rising heat radiating from Changmin, continued to babble his problems (correction: whines) to the younger.

“I don’t really care, hyung.” Changmin deadpanned as he grabbed his book and drink, storming out from the café. He needed to leave before he murders that stupid friend of his.

“That’s what you get for hiding things Changmin.” Jaejoong yelled back, hearing the younger groaned loudly and watching him pulling out his phone, and calling someone before hearing him saying ‘why did you tell him?’ exasperatedly.

His dear friend and the recently enemy-turn-boyfriend needed to be taught a lesson. He smiled before laughing loudly when he imagined a terrified Yunho under the mercy of a furious Changmin.

His phone rang, and he saw a text from Yunho.

Read: Save me.

Life is good, Jaejoong giggled as he got up from his seat, heading to wherever Yunho was, hoping to salvage whatever left of him from Changmin.

 

 

end.