Final.

You In My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Who are you?”

Those are the first words Jihyo muttered after she woke up from a one-week coma. She looked hesitantly at the person in front of her.

Tzuyu bit her lip at the sudden realization. No, it can’t be. 

“I-” the younger girl tried to say something but ended up keeping mum. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

She let the silence float in the air and when she finally opened her eyes, the older girl is staring at her. Those beautiful and mesmerizing eyes that used to glimmer at the mere sight of her, now just held pure confusion and uncertainty.

It was then when she felt like her world is crumbling into pieces. Of all people, why her?

“Can you call my mom?” Jihyo asked shyly while playing with the hem of her blanket. She’s hoping the girl would be kind enough to do her a favor.

“She must be so worried right now. I’m supposed to pick up Jiyoung from school after going to the company and we should be home before nine. I don’t know what-”

The older girl, to her surprise suddenly stopped rambling when she heard a sob. She looked over at the stranger and found her weeping with her head down.

Tzuyu felt a hand delicately caress her cheek and as if by instinct, leaned in at the familiar and comfortable touch.

“Why are you crying?” Jihyo softly asked.

The younger girl swallowed the huge lump in and uttered, “I’m sorry.”

This day is supposed to be a special one. Jihyo passed the driving test and she was about to get her license when a truck bumped into the company car she’s riding. The driver was dead on arrival. Jaljari, their manager was not on the scene that’s why he blames himself a lot.

On the day of the accident, he had an emergency so he couldn’t accompany Jihyo. He thinks he should be the one to blame but everyone knows it isn’t his fault. It’s the drunk driver who did this them, to her Jihyo.

Tzuyu was about to finally say yes to her and accept her feelings after months of trying to win the younger girl’s heart. She even promised on the phone that she would give the older a gift once she gets back home. She still remembers the older girl squealing in happiness and excitement. The accident ruined all of that.

“A pretty girl like you shouldn’t cry,” Jihyo says as she wiped the tears streaming down her face. The gesture only made Tzuyu want to cry even harder.

The older girl remembers everything before she debuted. She still remembers her family and her trainee days but not Sixteen and Twice. Turns out she’s suffering from a selective amnesia and in some cases, patients with selective amnesia cling to specific memories, specifically positive ones, that’s what the doctor told them.

The Taiwanese suddenly felt a pang in her heart. It’s understandable the older would forgot about the reality show that killed all of their confidence, turned them into someone they’re not and made them rival against each other, traumatized them even but her and Twice?

Does that mean the time they spent together, Jihyo was never happy?

She was even the last person Jihyo talked to on the phone before the tragic accident happened. She sounded so happy then. She always seems so happy whenever they’re together.

Was everything perhaps a lie?

“Hey,” a voice suddenly interrupting her thoughts.

The maknae looked up and saw Sana walking towards her direction.

“What are you doing here all alone?” she questioned as soon as she reached the younger girl’s side. “She just got back, don’t you want to introduce yourself?” Her voice suddenly trailing on the last line.

She too, Tzuyu figured must have been struggling with their unfortunate situation right now. She looked at the commotion in front of her, each member trying to catch the confused girl’s attention, impress her even. They all probably are.

After a week, Jihyo finally got released from the hospital. The doctor suggested it’s best if she stayed home with her family for the time being since it’s good for her condition if she surrounds herself with everything she’s already familiar with.

It took another week for Jihyo to finally come home to their dorm. And that’s when Tzuyu found herself distancing away instead of giving the older girl a warm welcome. She just didn’t feel like it.

Sana must have sensed the younger girl’s uneasiness so she asked her instead, “How are you?”

Tzuyu watched as some of the members slowly back away from the lost girl and decided to give her at least some space.

“I’m okay,” she shrugged.

“You’re a bad liar you know that Tzuyu-ah?” the squirtle raised an eyebrow at her.

“If I said I am, does that change anything? Will that bring back her memories?” she countered, still looking at the certain girl who seems to be in a deep conversation with Nayeon and Jeongyeon, both who refused to leave the girl’s side the moment she stepped inside the dorm.  

Sana followed the younger girl’s gaze, a sad smile forming on her lips.

“No but we would appreciate it if you could be honest about your feelings. We’re her friends too you know. She hurt us too. And I know it’s different with you but we just wanted to let you know we’re all in this together. You’re not alone Tzuyu.”

Hearing those words from the older girl made her heart melt. She didn’t know she needed them until now.  

“Thank you unnie that means a lot.”

Sana didn’t reply but instead pulled the young girl into a tight hug in which the latter reciprocated with her gaze never leaving the cause of her distress.

“Everything will be fine,” she assured her.

Tzuyu savored the warmth and sighed. I really hope so.

Because she couldn’t fathom the idea of going back to being strangers with someone who has seen her soul.

 

 

“I’m your resident tofu and the most swag member, Dahyun at your service,” she bowed then made a pose.

“You’re supposed to leave a good first impression to Jihyo unnie and you absolutely failed,” a short girl interjected.

“Oh c’mon you can just say you’re jealous of me.”

“You wish,” she said rolling her eyes.

“And you are?” Jihyo trailed off while glancing at a certain cub.

The young rapper turned to a confused Jihyo and grinned, “I’m your favorite member unnie.”

The girl with milky white skin who just introduced herself earlier as Dahyun then smacked the small girl’s arm which caused the latter to yelp in pain.

“Ya don’t lie to her Chaeyoung!” she scolded then turned her attention to Jihyo. “She’s lying unnie the truth is I’m your favorite member.”

Now it was the smol bean’s turn to smack the tofu back.

“Stop it you two, we all know who’s her favorite anyway.”

Jihyo didn’t hear what Jeongyeon just said because she’s too busy looking at a certain someone on the corner of the room.

“How about Tzuyu?” she blurted out.

She already met the tall girl at the hospital but still that didn’t slip from Jihyo’s curiosity. Afterall she’s the first person she laid her eyes on the moment she woke up from her coma.

The duo beside her turned to look at each other.

“Tzuyu-ah…let’s just say she’s special to you,” the bunny explained.

“What do you mean?” she asked scrunching her face in confusion.

It was Jeongyeon’s turn to reply, “We’ll leave it up to you to figure out.”

What do they mean by that? Is there something she’s supposed to know? Tzuyu, who is she really? Suddenly, her head is pounding from so many questions, she doesn’t want to think anymore.

“What’s wrong Jihyo?” Nayeon asked concerned, gently rubbing her hands.

“My head hurts,” she said squinting her eyes.

“Alright that’s enough information for today. You should rest Jihyo.” Jeongyeon instructed. “You too kids, let’s call it a night.”

The members groaned in reply. They are disappointed because they missed their leader so much so it’s only natural if they craved for her company especially now that they’re living on the same roof again. But of course they understand, they don’t want her to push herself too much. And besides they still have a tomorrow to look forward to. Jihyo’s not going anywhere again anyway, right?

 

 

Days have passed after Jihyo got into the accident and everything’s quite going back to normal, well except for her memories.

The girls helped her in any way they can and she’s very grateful for that. They didn’t push her to remember the things she’s not sure herself if she’s able to gain back. They were very patient with her and they’re always there to guide her when in fact it’s her role as their leader to guide them.

She couldn’t help but somehow feel like she’s becoming a burden to them but Nayeon is always there to assure her she’s part of the family so she shouldn’t worry.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter