Chapter 6

THE UNDEAD

They drove and drove. They stared in awe at how empty the streets really were. A few undeads here and there but none of them noticed their vehicle. Luckily for them, the engine was a silent one. Sowon was asleep next to their manager driving. The girls at the back figured that they might as well take advantage of the snacks that was coincidentally found in the RV. Sinb snatched the basket of snacks before handing them one by one to the other girls, not forgetting their manager.

The manager smiled before accepting the snack with one hand, the other still gripping the steering wheel. Sinb got back to her seat with a grin on her face, seemingly pleased with herself. As they drove around, the sky seemed to darken slightly. The RV was filled with soft snores by then. The girls had fallen asleep while leaning against each other except for Umji, who was smart enough to move to the bunk at the rear end of thE RV. Yuju had her head tilted backwards and hung agape. A fly could’ve flown in and she wouldn’t even notice. Eunha had a fallen asleep with a cracker still in hand. And SinRin….Well, they were leaning against each other’s head, as lovely as ever. (A/N: Yumji can't relate:()

The manager looked at them from the reflection of the rear view mirror, a fatherly smile etched on his face. He arched his back slightly while tilting his neck left and right in an attempt to stretch his body a little. He had been driving for the past hour without any rest. He wasn’t familiar with the places in this city so that might be a challenge. He could’ve used a map in his phone but the network was down. He sighed in exhaustion as he tightened his grip on the steering wheel. He blinked a few times, trying to keep awake as his eyelids started to droop. He slapped himself multiple times, trying to fend off the sleepiness.

A soft giggle could be heard from the seat next to him. He turned his head only to find Sowon clutching her stomach, trying to hold in her laughter.

“Yah. What's so funny huh?” he asked, glaring jokingly at her.

“Nothing,” she said, a not-so-innocent smile present on her face.

“Let me take over from here. You may be the better driver but getting into an accident may not be the best idea during a zombie apocalypse,” she joked.

“Tsk,”

Nevertheless, he immediately agreed. He stopped the car for a moment before swapping seats with her. He briefed Sowon about the manuals before slumping down on his seat. As it was Sowon’s first attempt to drive this type of vehicle, he figured that he had to keep an eye on her for now. Sowon buckled her seatbelt before putting slight pressure on the accelerator. She gripped the steering wheel tightly, her body tensed. It started off slightly bumpy but after a couple more minutes, Sowon had definitely gotten used to the vehicle.

Like the manager, Sowon also had no clue about their whereabouts. Most of the buildings that she passed by were either company buildings or landed properties. She heard the manager yawned out loud before falling into deep sleep.

Sowon drove around the city, now more comfortable to drive with one hand. Her mind wandered to the past events that had happened. Less than 24 hours ago, she was having the time of her life with the girls, standing on stage proudly and waving to the buddies. How had it all come down to this?

Her eyes started to well up in tears as she thought about her family. Are they okay? Where are they now? Are they safe?Without realising, tears started to roll down her soft cheeks. She quickly wiped them away, afraid one of the girls might wake up and notice her sobbing silently.

'I have to be strong..for them, for us,’ she thought to herself.

She didn’t even realise than she had drove by the same street at least twice. She was to caught up in her thoughts that she became oblivious of the surroundings. She gently stopped the car, not wanting to wake the girls up by accident due to the inertia. She rested her head against the steering wheel, gathering her thoughts together. She drank from the bottle and took a few huge gulps before taking a deep breath.

“I’m fine. Everything is fine. If not….it will be,” she muttered to herself like a silent prayer.

She take one last deep breath before continuing their journey. This time, she was more focused than ever. Looking for sign boards to use to her advantage. Hoping that it could lead them to a supermarket. Or at least a convenience store.

She soon found signages that may lead to a supermarket. She followed them carefully for a few minutes before spotting a familiar building. She stepped harder onto the accelerator, trying to get there as fast as possible. She tapped the manager rapidly on his shoulder, trying to wake him up but to no avail. She figured she should just wake him up once the vehicle was parked. She pulled over near the entrance of the supermarket. Not too visible but still quite accessible if they had to quickly evacuate. Satisfied with the parking, she waked him up, this time, shaking his shoulders more vigorously.

He groggily yawned before slowly opening his eyes. He rubbed his eyes to get use to the light. His vision was still blurry. As he sat up, he stretched and yawned once again.

He turned to Sowon who was now looking at him with a smug smile on her face. Her face had the ‘are-you-proud-of-me-yet?’ look. She crossed her arms over her chest before tapping her feet against the floor of the vehicle, as if waiting for a praise from him. He shrugged her off before walking to the girls at back.

Sensing that Sowon wasn’t following him, he turned towards her and gave her a questioning look.

“Well, what are you waiting for? Wake them up,”

he instructed her.

Her smile soon turned into a pout, her cheeks puffed up. She stomped her feet as she walked past him, muttering some curses that was definitely meant for him.

He chuckled slightly before heading towards the cupboard which contained the duffel bag. He took it out with a huff. Though it contains only a couple of pistols, there were ammos too and that could be quite heavy. He placed the bags on the table with a thud. The girls seated surrounding the table woke up with a start. They slightly jumped on their seats due to the shock. Sinb side-eyed him before snuggling her cheeks on Yerin’s shoulder, eyes still droopy. Yuji was silently wiping her drool on Yerin’s hoodie while Eunha was rubbing her eyes cutely, pouting slightly as her peaceful sleep was disturbed. Yerin was busy studying Sinb’s face and being as creepy as usual. Sowon and Umji finally joined them with Umji pressing her body against Sowon’s back, still tired. Her hand hung loosely around Sowon’s waist.

Once everyone was completely awake, which took them about 10 minutes, their manager started talking. He briefed them about the types of guns that each of them will be using. He taught them how to hold it as well as how to reload the pistol in case they were out of ammo. That took another 20 minutes before the girls were comfortable enough with the weapons.

“OK guys our main priority is food and water. Preferably, food that don’t have to be cooked and can last long. Water, just get the big bottles. Gallons of them. Yuju, Yerin and Umji, you guys will be in charge of getting water. The rest get food. I’ll try and get some batteries and fuel. Got it? Only use the guns if you are not able to hit them. At close contact, just use the normal weapons.”

“I’ll go out first, manager-oppa will be last,” Sowon instructed, her voice firm with authority.

The other girls nodded. They took a few deep breaths while waiting for Sowon to exit the vehicle first. Sowon checked the surrounding of the vehicle using the windows. Seeing that the coast is clear, she slowly opened the door. Peeking her head out first just in case.

Muttering a silent prayer before breathing out a sigh, she carefully stepped out. Senses on high alert, any single movement can be spotted from the corner of eyes. She looked around once more and took a few steps ahead before signalling the others with a tilt of her head. Sinb went first, followed by Yerin, Eunha, Umji, Yuju and their manager. They gradually walked towards the entrance, still warily scanning their surroundings. Their manager was constantly looking back, just in case any one those beings tried to attack them from behind. They walked in a row stealthily.

As they reached the entrance, the sliding doors automatically opened, sensing movement. The chilly air coming from inside made them shiver. The weather wasn't of any help either. Yerin made a mental note of acquiring heat warming packs to warm them up when she sees Sinb and Umji shivering while rubbing their layered arms. They quickly went in without much thought. The first thing that welcomed them was the awful stench of decomposed flesh and unsightly appearances of dried blood all over the place; the shelves, freezer, counter, everywhere.

Yuju wrinkled her nose as her brows furrowed. Her face screams absolute disgust. The sight of blood and guts almost made her throw up. The others weren’t spared either, not even their manager. He too was utterly grossed out by the scene laid out in front of them despite not showing his disgust.

Sowon crept deeper into the building followed by the others. Sinb was clutching onto the hem of her hoodie out of fear. Sowon could almost feel the tremble in her hands. Sowon patted her hand softly to comfort her.

Kkkrrrkk

The sound of crushed papers being stepped on could be heard. They slowly turned towards the sound. Turns out, Eunha had clumsily stepped on wrappers that were lying on the floor. She grinned sheepishly before muttering a quick apology. False alarm much.

They continued exploring the place. From aisle to aisle. Some were contaminated with guts and splashes of blood while some were relatively clean. They chose to only pick out items from shelves that are not dirtied yet.

They quickened their steps slightly, wanting to get out from the building as soon as possible. They were not in the mood to go against any of those beings, though they’re still prepared for any combat. After a few minutes of exploring, Sowon concluded that they’re approximately in the middle of the supermarket, separating the shelves and the frozen foods section.

“Ok we’ll separate from here. Whatever you do, try to be as quiet as possible,” Sowon instructed while eyeing the small bunny, who looked away and pretended to whistle.

“Remember girls,ONLY use the gun if necessary. The gun shot may attract the ones nearby. Only use your weapons for now,” their manager added.

The girls nodded slowly, acknowledging their command. They separated themselves into a trio and 2 pairs. Yerin, Umji and Yuju went first, going straight towards the drinks aisle. Followed by Sowon and Sinb who went to get canned food and other food items that can last long. Lastly, Eunha and their manager set off to find more fuel and medications that they might need.

The trio scanned the shelves from top to bottom, eyes like a hawk. They grabbed each other’s hand as if their lives depended on it, well, technically that IS the case at the moment. Anyways, they’ve decided to get the bottled drinks that comes in gallons, so that they won’t run out of water any sooner. There is tap water but it’s safer to not drink for now….or ever. In addition to that they got a few, by a few I mean a lot, cans of energy drink and bottles of juice. They decided that the amount should be sufficient for the next couple of days and dumped them all into a trolley/shopping cart that they found near the aisles.

While the trio were busy with the water supply, Sowon and Sinb were getting their hands on every food item on the shelves. Though they didn’t manage to find a trolley/shopping cart, they did found 2 baskets. Holding one each, the pair strided along the aisle happily, the apocalypse completely forgotten. Sowon got mostly canned foods that doesn’t require any form of cooking and some cup ramen. Luckily, the RV came with an electric kettle (A/N: like the ones you can find in a hotel) so they can boil the water for the ramen. And Sinb….Well, she got a whole bunch of junk food including chips, chocolate bars, cookies, gummies, candies and the list is endless. Sowon mentally face-palmed herself. Once satisfied, they headed to the entrance where the group agreed to meet before separating. There, they found the trio already waiting for them.

While waiting for Eunha and their manager, they started eating their snacks. While munching noisily on their snacks they heard a loud thud. They stopped chewing and looked at each other as they listened again. They heard it again, this time even more distinct than the previous one.

They carefully turned towards the sound. They saw one of those beings again. But this time, instead of being horrified, they almost burst into laughter. They covered their mouths, trying to stifle a giggle.

Turns out the being was going towards a wall continuously. The sound was coming from its head hitting the wall. It seems like it won’t stop any sooner.

Not being able to take it anymore, the girls burst into laughter, Sinb’s iconic cackle can be heard throughout the section. Unfortunately, the being may be an idiot but it wasn’t deaf so their laughter definitely attracted it.

It started limping towards them, groaning with drool dripping from the corner of its mouth. The being must be a man due to his disheveled short hair. His was shirt tucked in with his belly protruding out. His belt was just under his belly, seemingly undone. His clothings were torn too. He had a ugly scowl on his face, with blood smeared all the way from his chin to his neck. His hands too were bloody. His eyes were bulging and the veins on his face almost looked like it was going to explode. He was and groaning as he started to approach the girls.

Sowon was the first one to notice him, quickly alerting the girls. The girls immediately stopped laughing and their jaw dropped. The being sure look intimidating as hell now that he is not being an idiot. Yerin was the first one to scream before getting dragged by Yuju who is trying to catch up with the other girls. The others had started to run the moment they spotted him. Screams could be heard, even Eunha and their manager heard them.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!

Eunha jumped as she heard the shrieks and screams of the other girls, causing her to drop the batteries she was holding. She turned to their manager with wide eyes. He too was surprised. They communicated through eye contact and quickly ran towards the screams. Though the supermarket wasn’t massive, it was still a struggle for them to find the other girls. Almost like they were in a maze.

Suddenly, it got silent. No screams or shrieks could be heard anymore. They felt a chill ran down their spine. Eunha being Eunha started to think of the worst possible cases that could’ve happened to the other girls.

"W-what if they got *dramatic gasp* EATEN?!?” She gasped in horror.

“Ohnononono,” she started mumbling to herself as she paced back and forth in front of him.

“Look they are prob- Eunha wait..Eun- stop..EUNHA!” He had to grip her shoulders to get her attention.

Her eyes had already started to glisten and a pout on her face.

“They will be fine. Look, they’re most probably hiding somewhe-,”

Another shriek cut him off.

“Well it found them now..c’mon let's go find them,” His gestured her to follow him.

They ran from aisle to aisle finding them, even screaming their names. The other girls responded to them, seemingly trying to find them too.

The pair decided to wait at a somewhat empty aisle, hoping that the others will eventually find them. They leaned against the shelves and took a deep breath, trying to calm their rapid heartbeat.

Suddenly, creeping footsteps could be heard from the next aisle. Inching closer and closer to them. Their manager signalled Eunha to stay put while he tried to take a peek at the next aisle. He tiptoed like a ninja towards the next aisle, afraid that he might get caught by whoever that was making that noise.

As he turned the corner, he was met face-to-face with a shocked giraffe. She screamed in his face, causing the other girls to scream as well. He quickly shut them with a finger on his lips. Their screams quickly died down. Eunha, who heard all the commotion, came to where they were.

Turns out Sowon thought that the being had found them, again. Luckily, it was only their manager.

Eunha squealed in joy as she hugged the other girls, almost suffocating them. The other girls happily reciprocated her hug.

“Guys we should go now...save the hugging for later,” Their manager hurried them.

“He’s right. Let's go now before it finds us again,”

The ever so sensible Umji said.

He started walking before asking the other girls to come along. He made a signal for them to keep on a lookout for the beings. Knowing that there's one already inside the building gives them anxieties. Their legs taking big strides, wanting to get out of here as soon as possible. They held onto each other’s hands as they walked straight to the entrance. Funnily enough, their baskets and trolley was still there, untouched. Yerin quickly dragged the trolley with her as Sowon took a basket and their manager took the other. He took a step outside and check their surroundings.

He quickly went back in.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

 

“Umm guys...bad news,” he started.

 

A/N: Hiii!! I know it's been awhile since I've last updated this story sorrehh. Major exams were coming up and I had to prepare for them but now that the major papers are out of the way, I can have some free time to write. YAY!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter.