Final

You Belong With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So babe, prom's going to be in a few days!" Taeyeon chirps happily. "We should wear something matchy! I heard that underclass Joohyun plans to beat me as the most well-dressed so we have to work hard. What do you think should we wear?"

"Hmm," Baekhyun hums, pretending to be thinking when his mind is actually just drifting away into space, not really paying attention to the phone call while tossing his soccer ball. "I don't know, I'm fine with anything."

"How about white? What do you think?"

"Hmm, I'm not sure. People might mistake you as someone attending a funeral or something. Or you're the corpse itself."

Baekhyun only realizes how stupid he was for not being careful with his humour when Taeyeon shrieks into the call.

"Why are you such a ing jerk?!"

Baekhyun's startled at his girlfriend's sudden outburst.

"Look, Taeyeon, I'm sorry I was just joking-"

"Joking?! I'm not laughing, am I?! This what I hate about you! You think you're so funny when literally the only one who laughs at your jokes is that lanky friend of yours who share the same humour as you do!"

Baekhyun frowns, not liking how this conversation is going to. "Don't bring Chanyeol into this, Taeyeon."

"Speaking about that nerd, you're almost always with him these days. You never make time for me! Are you tired of me now? You don’t even come to wait for me to end rehearsals now! You’re such a useless boyfriend!”

Baekhyun runs his fingers through his hair, frustrated as he remains passive despite that fact that he seriously wanted to shout at his diva girlfriend for being so irritating and irksome. He’s seriously not up for her bull today, not when he failed his Physics exams earlier because he had to go with her to a party he did not even want to go to yesterday when he could have literally went to his best friend's place for tutoring.

“So, what are you going to say for yourself?” she haughtily demands after her long rant. Baekhyun swears he’s now kind of partially deaf for how high-pitched and loud her voice has been.

“Look, I’m sorry, okay? I honestly didn't really think that joke through,” he says with his most sickeningly sweet voice. “And for not making time for you, I'm also sorry. I have soccer practice too and the season is ending soon. You know this, Taeyeon. You’re going to cheer for us after all.”

There’s a silence for a few seconds before Taeyeon finally sighs daintily.

"I'm sorry," she whispers. "I'm just… I've just been so stressed out these days. I'm really sorry for taking it all out on you. I love you, please forget about this."

Baekhyun sighs heavily. "Alright. It's almost ten already, have you done your skincare routine? You might break out. You ate something oily."

"Oh that's right! Thanks for reminding me! Goodnight!"

Without even letting Baekhyun reply, the call ends, leaving him to the silent buzzing. Baekhyun breathes out heavily once more. He turns his head to the side and just as he does so, he makes eye contact with a familiar pair of eyes from a window just across his.

Baekhyun sits up, smiling at his best friend, Chanyeol. He lives just next door and their windows were right across each other. He's sitting on his bed, smiling at Baekhyun in a comforting manner. His hair's still damp with a towel hung across his neck, probably fresh from a shower. Baekhyun watches as Chanyeol reaches out to his sketchpad and marker, lying just beside his stacks of books and notebooks. The brunette grins and reaches for his own from under the bed, since Chanyeol probably wanted to say something. Pushing back his nerdy glasses, Chanyeol looks up, flashing a questioning gaze as he lifts his sketchpad.

U okay?

Baekhyun looks down at his sketchpad and writes. He then lifts it up as he pouts cutely.

Yeah. Just girl drama.

The brunette writes again.

I don't understand girls. Think I should get a boyfriend?

Chanyeol laughs, and Baekhyun could almost hear it inside his head. A clear, husky and deep sound that always made the brunette smile unconsciously, which he does now.

Baekhyun watches his best friend, waiting for a response, but minutes pass and Chanyeol only stares at his book. He's probably studying. He shouldn't disturb him.

The brunette smiles at the studying form of his best friend before he stands up to pull the curtains. He then slumps his back against the glass, his heart already racing at that little interaction. It's been reacting this way to whatever Chanyeol did ever since he found out that he had feelings for him. Everything would have been easier if Baekhyun just confessed his feelings to Chanyeol, but he's too chicken to do just that. It was Taeyeon who asked him to be her boyfriend first and he just accepted, hoping he moves on from loving his best friend who has never showed any interest towards him at all. He's never asked, but Chanyeol is probably as straight as a ruler. Unlike Baekhyun, Chanyeol's never had a boyfriend as far as he knows, and Baekhyun knows a lot.

The brunette sighs depressingly at his luck as he peeks a bit through his curtain to glance at his best friend for the last time. Much to his amusement, he sees Chanyeol dancing horrendously to probably some idol group song again.

What a dork.

 

 

Baekhyun isn't a fan of dates that Taeyeon organizes since they always end up with them being in some person's party where the brunette would always feel out of place, but he has to put up with her even against his will.

After slipping on some casual clothes, Baekhyun leaves his house and makes his way down the benches where he told Taeyeon to pick him up.

By the time he reaches the benches, Baekhyun pauses on his tracks when he sees Chanyeol sitting on the bench, his white hair more vibrant than yesterday (probably because he dyed them again), while he wears a white shirt underneath a pastel blue polo shirt matched up with plain jeans. The sight didn't fail to make him smile as he walks up to him, heart racing just the slightest bit.

"Hey," Baekhyun greets as he sits next to him. His eyes catches the movement of something white on Chanyeol's lap, and it was only then when he notices that there's a cat there.

"Hey Baekhyun," Chanyeol greets. He lifts the kitten up which looked so tiny in his large hand. He takes his paw and waves it at Baekhyun then he says in an obnoxious girly voice, "Hi Baekhyun, I'm Aeri!"

Baekhyun coos and reaches out to rub the kitten, but honestly, the one he really wants to rub is Chanyeol because he's so adorable. It mewls, enjoying the attention from Baekhyun before the brunette leans back against the bench.

"Where did you get it?" Baekhyun asks, finger tickling the cat's back. "You can't own a pet, Mrs. Park will rage on you and your younger brother has a dog."

"Rescued it up from a tree," Chanyeol says. "Sehun honestly wouldn't mind, he likes cats all the same but yeah, Mom won't be happy. I'll go to Kyungsoo and see if Kyungmi wants to adopt this kitty."

"Kyungmi already has five cats," Baekhyun points out. "But I'm sure she'll take the cutie."

"Yeah, hopefully. Anyway, what brings you here?" Chanyeol asks. "You going somewhere? You never usually go out during weekends."

"Yeah," Baekhyun answers, crossing his knees. "I have to come with Taeyeon today."

"Where are you going if I may ask?"

Baekhyun shrugs. "Prom outfit shopping. And it's kind of a date as well."

"Hmm, well that's interesting."

Baekhyun hums. "How about you, Yeol? Who are you taking to prom?"

Chanyeol shrugs as he tickles the cat's chin. "I don't plan on going." He glances up at Baekhyun and suddenly smiles so brightly. He reaches out, leaning in close. A hint of red touches Baekhyun's cheeks as the man leans closer. The brunette could only stare, hypnotized with his smile, his expressive eyes, his scent….

If only he could be with Chanyeol.

"There's a flower in you hair," Chanyeol says as he finally leans away, showing Baekhyun a little flower. "Probably fell from a tree. Here," he drops the little thing in Baekhyun's hand.

The loud blaring of a horn startles the two of them and the cat.

"Baekhyun!"

It was Taeyeon. Baekhyun misses the way Chanyeol glares at the girl as she takes off her glasses. She flashes Baekhyun a dazzling smile and gestures at him seductively to come to her.

Baekhyun sighs and gives Chanyeol a helpless look.

Please make me stay.

The other male purses his lips into a tight-lipped smile and ushers him to go. Baekhyun's heart sinks as he waves at him hesitantly and walks over to his girlfriend's red Convertible. He gets in and he's immediately attacked by Taeyeon's soft lips.

It doesn't feel right at all.

 

 

The tension across the field is high as Baekhyun eyes the ball being tossed around at the left side. Screams were loud and overwhelming along with the wild cheering from the cheerleading squad, but all Baekhyun could hear is the sound of his harsh breathing and his heart beating, ringing in his ears. This was the last game of the season and they've made it this far. This game will determine whether their school will keep their winning streak for the last five years or not.

They have to win this.

Baekhyun's team members suddenly get heated up as they run towards the goal with the opponents hot on their heels. The brunette runs, eyeing the ball and occasionally glaring at the giant player from the other team who was blocking his way.

"Baekhyun!" he hears their captain shout at him. He runs forward, but the annoying opponent blocks his path.

"Get out of my ing way!" Baekhyun yells in frustration as he begins bounding left to right in an attempt to veer the other player off his sense of direction. The ball flies, and all Baekhyun could do is helplessly stare at it as a player from the other team catches it.

Baekhyun glances at his opponent, veins buzzing when he sees that he's distracted. The ball isn't too far from their side, so Baekhyun swiftly runs around the distracted opponent who had been blocking him. He breathes out, fastening his pace and when he's finally close enough, he extends his leg and slides across the ground, kicking the ball away from the opponent and enabling s to get a hold on it. Their offense kicks the ball into the air then another member headbutts it into the net and…

"Goal!" Their team captain exclaims as everyone rushes towards Baekhyun, lifting his petite body up as they make their way towards their side of the bleachers, crowning him as their MVP. Everyone supporting them were off their tops, the band playing a frantic congratulatory tune and the cheerleaders running towards them.

As Baekhyun is set back down on the ground, his eyes start to search for his own cheerleader, confused when he doesn't quickly see her because she is usually the one he first notices with her golden locks and her attention-grabbing aura.

When he does finally see her, Baekhyun is washed over with confusion when he sees Taeyeon with another player from his team, his arm around her waist as she flirtatiously talks to him complete with touching and the close proximity.

Annoyed, Baekhyun stalks towards the couple. Carefully controlling his temper, he says, "Taeyeon, what are you doing?"

The two stop and look to his direction. Taeyeon raises an eyebrow in her snobby way and eyes him up and down.

"Well hello there Baekhyun," she waves at him daintily with her perfectly manicured fingers. "Congratulations."

Baekhyun scrunches his eyebrows. "W-What is this? Are you cheating on me?"

Taeyeon looks at the male in front of her, back at Baekhyun  then she breaks out into a fit of giggles.

"It's not cheating if we're not together."

"But we still are together, you never broke up with me," Baekhyun says matter-of-factly.

"Well I am now," Taeyeon smiles at him before turning her attention to the other soccer player. Baekhyun could only shake his head in disbelief as he backs up and runs away, completely annoyed for having to keep up with a dumb like that.

"Baekhyun!"

The brunette stops on his tracks when he hears that one familiar voice that he's actually happy to hear. He turns around and smiles at his best friend, who looks so adorkable with his school mascot hat and his hoodie which bore Baekhyun's jersey number.

"Hey," Chanyeol pants, probably exhausted from cheering so much. "Are you okay?"

Baekhyun purses his lips as he scratches his head.

"Yeah, probably…" he answers uncertainly.

Chanyeol hums, unimpressed. It was stupid to pretend in front of this person who had known him for like his whole life. He'll see right through him so easily.

"Yeah actually, I'm not," Baekhyun sighs, shoulders drooping. "I feel so pissed off. My girlfriend just threw me away like trash."

Chanyeol chuckles, rubbing his high-bridged nose. "Baekhyun, you are - were - dating Kim Taeyeon. You should have known that every man she dates has an expiry date. "

"I know, but we lasted for five months," Baekhyun shrugs. "That's a long time. I actually got to like her. Now what am I going to do? My suit for prom matches with hers, do I still have to wear it?"

The taller shrugs. "I don't know. Why don't I help you forget about that for awhile? Let's grab pizza after you change. You stink."

Baekhyun punches Chanyeol's shoulder, laughing as they walk away with the taller praising him for how cool he looked when he did that sliding thing with his leg, then he proceeded to ask if he had wounds or something. Baekhyun only smiles as he shakes his head, eyes expressing his gratefulness for Chanyeol being there for him.Someone like him in his life is enough. Chanyeol's nice, always letting Baekhyun do what he wants. He's caring, making sure Baekhyun knows the lessons like the back of hand and asks if he eats properly since soccer is a tedious sport. And he's loving, even if it was not enough for Baekhyun.

Just like this, he is contented.

 

 

Baekhyun sighs as he looks at his own reflection in the mirror. It was prom night, and he's already dressed up in this suit which terribly reminded him of his ex. He didn't have any other choice, though. His father's old prom outfit was an option, but it's one that he will never consider.

He doesn't look bad at all. If anything, Baekhyun thinks he looks dashing. His hair is styled into a comma, eyes spiced up with black eyeshadow, lips tender than the usual cracked and dry condition and the suit that hugged his figure quite well.

But despite this, Baekhyun doesn't feel excited at all. He sits on his bed, glancing out of the window towards his best friend who was on his bed diligently working on something from the textbook.

Chanyeol feels the gazes thrown at him, so he looks up. An instant smile crosses his lips when he meets eye contact with Baekhyun. He then reaches for his sketchpad, so Baekhyun does too.

U okay? He writes, like he always does.

Baekhyun flashes him a reply.

Maybe. Quite a bit. I'm fine.

Chanyeol is unconvinced as he answers.

Really now?

Really.

If you say so.

A knock comes on Baekhyun's door. He puts his sketchpad down as he yells, "Yeah?"

"Baekhyun! Aren't you coming out yet? Your friends are waiting!"

"I'll be out in a minute!"

Baekhyun turns to Chanyeol, who is giving him a questioning look so he simply shrugs before writing something again.

Are you sure you're not coming?

Chanyeol pouts cutely as he flashes his answer.

No, studying :(

Baekhyun nods.

Wish you were :( It will probably be more fun with you around :(

Chanyeol could only smile at him apologetically.

 

 

Prom is supposed to be making all sorts of unforgettable memories that they will be talking and laughing about in thirty years, but that's not the case for Baekhyun at all. While his friends danced with their partners, he's left alone at the bleachers, drinking punch as if it was alcohol. A couple of people who had been pining for him has asked him to dance, but he declined so partially it was his fault why tonight was dragging out on him.

He didn't want to be here.

Baekhyun throws his cup over his shoulder, hitting an unsuspecting student in the head as he makes his way towards the door. As expected, there were teachers there guarding and when he comes close enough, they narrow their eyes at him and were about to tell him how it's not allowed to leave but Baekhyun speaks first.

"Teachers, can I go home?" Baekhyun tries his best to look as constipated as possible but at the same time as if he was trying not to show his pain like most people would in real life. "I may have eaten something and my stomach hurts…"

Since it's absolutely inconvenient to have a student fainting, vomiting or ting during prom, the teachers have no choice but to let Baekhyun go. As he walks down the hall, he supports himself by leaning against the wall, constantly grunting and groaning to let the teachers know how much he's struggling. Once he's out of sight, Baekhyun stands up and runs down the hallway towards freedom.

Upon exiting the school, Baekhyun is faced by another dilemma. It was late into the night and there aren't any transportation to help him travel home at all. But the good chill of the night coaxes him into submitting for an adventure. And so, Baekhyun starts walking, letting his feet drag him wherever they would take him.

Lots of shady people might get their hands on him, but Baekhyun didn't care about it much. He's a master in hapkido and can kick your balls goodbye so he's not really worried for himself because he can handle it well.

As Baekhyun walks on, he gets himself lost in some part of town that he did not recognize (he's a homebody despite his popularity). He looks around for awhile and continues on walking trying to find a path that led back to the road but doesn't find it at all.

"Where the even am I?" he mutters to himself as he fishes his phone out and tries to contact his friends to come pick him up. But the signal is low, so he lifts the device up to catch at least two bars.

Suddenly, strong lights shine on the brunette, blinding for a moment. He lifts an arm over his eyes, squinting to take a closer look as to where the light is from.

"Stay where the you are!"

Baekhyun screams in an unmanly voice, startled when he sees a bunch of men on motorcycles a few meters ahead. He quickly backs up on his heels and turns around, screaming maniacally on the top of his lungs as he runs away despite the warning. The motorcycles roared to life and went after him.

Was he going to die? Who are these people even? Why are they even chasing after him? Those were the questions that Baekhyun had in mind, but he didn't want to stick around for long to know the answer.

"Baekhyun!"

The brunette looks over his shoulder, terrified all the more when one of the men calls out to him. He scrambles away, glancing over his shoulder to make sure he was a safe distance away from them but at one point, he doesn't see the steps in front of him so he stumbles down, crying out as he falls on his .

"Baekhyun, what the !"

The brunette scrambles up to his feet to run again, but a black, sleek motorbike appears in front of him. He eyes the man mounted on it in fear and he steps back to run, but discovers that the others had surrounded him.

"What do you want from me?" Baekhyun asks in a shaking voice. He hears the man in front of him sighs before he takes off his helmet and shakes his head. The brunette's jaw slacks when he discovers who it is.

"K-Kyungsoo?" he stammers, eyes wide as he stares at his lab partner. He can't believe what he was looking at. The gentle but feisty Do Kyungsoo in laboratory class was right in front of him, dressed up in leather with his hair brushed up. He looks so different that he almost could not recognize him if not for those big eyes and the heart-shaped lips.

"How did you get here?" Kyungsoo asks. "Weren't you at prom?"

"Y-Yeah, I got b-bored…" Baekhyun stutters, still in disbelief as he points at the other male with a shaking finger. "B-But Kyungsoo… You…"

"Who is this person, Kyungsoo?"

Baekhyun's lab partner smiles at someone from behind him. "Ah, it's just someone from school who got lost, Yixing-hyung."

The brunette turns around to see that the other bikers have taken their helmets off. Baekhyun's surprised to see that most of them looked young and there were familiar faces from school.

"Oh, it's Byun Baekhyun," someone he recognizes as Kim Jongin who is a close friend of Kyungsoo's smirks at him devilishly. "What a lovely surprise."

"H-Hey, Jongin," Baekhyun manages to greet despite his fear.

"Why are you here, Baekhyun?" someone asks and this time, Baekhyun is more shocked to see who it was.

"Sehun?!" Baekhyun exclaims. "Why are you here?! Your mom is going to be so mad, it's past eleven! Bedtime for you is ten!"

A blush touches Sehun's cheeks as the other bikers chuckle.

"W-Well she's out of town for a month and Dad's cool," Sehun says bashfully. "But you didn't answer my question."

"Does your brother know about this?!"

Sehun only shrugs. "Chanyeol-hyung is another story. And you still haven't answered my question! Why aren't you dancing the night away with your of a princess?"

Baekhyun scowls. "We broke up, and prom is boring."

"Hmm, so you think venturing into unknown and shady territory is a better alternative?" Jongin chuckles. "You're wild, Prince Baekhyun."

The brunette could only scratch his head sheepishly.

"Hmm, Baekhyun right?" the one Kyungsoo called Yixing-hyung asks.

"Y-Yeah," he replies.

"Well, we have a little contest coming up that is taking place in my private track. Want some thrill tonight? Be the prize."

"Yixing-hyung," Kyungsoo says nervously. "That's a bit…"

"I think that's nice," Jongin smirks. "Baekhyun will enjoy the night. I already know who's going to be the winner."

"I-I'm not sure," Baekhyun rubs his arm. "But it sounds interesting…"

"Cool!" Yixing says as he claps his hands, dimples showing as he smiles and Kyungsoo knows he's definitely thinking about something evil. "You can ride with Kyungsoo. The track isn't that far off."

"Here," Kyungsoo hands him his helmet.

"How about you?" Baekhyun asks worriedly as he gets on behind his friend.

"I won't throw us off track, if that's what you're worried about."

"I'm worried about your goddamn head. It needs protection."

"I don't have any other protective equipment here besides a , so shush Bakehyun, put it on and hold on tight to me. We're going fast."

Baekhyun does as he's told, scared at the shift of Kyungsoo's speech. He clutches onto the other's leather jacket and when he sens

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter