beach

cup full of flowers

Chaeyoung wakes up feeling, objectively, like crap.  She wakes up at 5:30 because she forgot to turn off her work alarm, immediately turns her alarm off, and rolls back over to instantly fall asleep. By the time she actually wakes up, at seven, Chaeyoung still doesn’t feel ready for the day. Her dog, Nererii, winds between her cold feet as Chaeyoung makes her way to the kitchen. Despite her exhaustion, a smile is still brought to Chaeyoung’s face, and she reaches down to pet Nererii, whose tail is fervently wagging.

Now, Chaeyoung knows she doesn’t have allergies. She’s sure of it. However, something must have bypassed the double-triple-quadruple check she did with her doctor before adopted Nererii because there’s no explanation for the gigantic sneeze Chaeyoung lets out. She cannot be sick. There’s no way. No way. But as she heads to the bathroom, there’s no denying the ache in , or the congestion in her nose.

“Ugh, no way! Nererii, how could I have let this happen?!” The girl complains to her dog, who just tilted its head. As Chaeyoung maneuvers her way into the medicine cabinet, fishing out the cough medicine, she continues to rant to her dog.  Nererii barks in reply and Chaeyoung smiles, before launching into a huge coughing fit.

Grimacing, Chaeyoung takes her cough medicine and sends off a quick text.

🍓gongju: hey unnie, i’ve come down with a bad cold, i’m supposed to come in later but i know that you’re on with me, will you be ok without me or should i find someone to cover? or just come in?

no🍯hyung: chaeyoungie it’s fine, don’t overwork yourself like u usually do when ur sick. i can handle it.

no🍯hyung: also jihyo told me you have a crush? on a girl from the flower shop? lmao i gotta see her for myself

no🍯hyung: but like props to you master lesbian it’s been like a day

Chaeyoung glares at her phone, hoping that some of her disdain will reach Jeongyeon, wherever she is. When she feels as if a good amount of her distaste has been put out into the universe, she puts her phone down and thinks.

Huh. A sick day. Chaeyoung hasn’t had one of those in a while, and she doesn’t quite know what to do with herself. Normally, she would have called Tzuyu and the two of them would’ve gone to breakfast together, but that wasn’t an option now. Chaeyoung found herself missing Tzuyu frequently, and this morning seemed to be no exception. Tzuyu had been similar to Chaeyoung, had helped keep their little group sane. Logically, Chaeyoung knew Tzuyu was a lot happier where she was now, that Tzuyu was doing what she loved. After all, Tzuyu had wanted to be a veterinarian since practically the day she was born. That didn’t make Chaeyoung feel any less lonely on mornings like this, however.

Shaking her head, Chaeyoung pushed aside all Tzuyu-related thoughts. She was happy, and that was all that mattered, really. As Chaeyoung sets a cup of tea to brew, she opens Instagram on her phone. She doesn’t open it often, and posts even less, but she wants to see how Tzuyu is doing. And what do you know, the first post on Chaeyoung’s feed is Tzuyu’s— a selfie, which Tzuyu rarely posts, with a girl in it, next to Tzuyu. She’s pretty, with long dark hair and striking eyes. The two girls are close, and they’re smiling like they both have secrets. The caption reads, So happy to have this girl as my wonderful girlfriend, @zhoujieqiong 💖.

Chaeyoung’s eyes widen, and she almost drops the mug in her other hand. Luckily, she catches herself in time and sets the mug on the counter as she presses her thumb to the messaging app on her phone.

🍓gongju: Chewy-ya! I saw your post, why didn’t you tell me sooner? You guys are really cute, I’ll have to come up and meet her someday soon. Make sure she’s good enough for you and all that.

tzuyoda👂🏻: You really have to! I would really enjoy that, Chaeng. She’s amazing, and honestly, some days, I don’t think I’m good enough for her. We weren’t telling anyone for a bit because her sister is good friends with my brother, but then we let both of them know. I miss you, Chaeng, please come visit soon.

Chaeyoung responded in the affirmative and poured her tea. She sat at her kitchen counter. Chaeyoung sipped her tea, basking in the early morning sun. It was relaxing, if not a little disorienting, to be up so early with nothing to do, despite Chaeyoung’s ongoing sniffles and sneezes. Chaeyoung really does have work to be done, so she eventually hauls herself up and moves to what she calls her living room. It’s not a room so much as it is a large alcove off the kitchen, but Chaeyoung enjoys it. Her comfy chairs are there, and she’s pushed a piano in there so it sits right in the corner. As she seats herself in a chair, Chaeyoung glances at the said piano.

She hasn’t played in months. She doesn’t have an excuse, really— work is busy, but not that busy. Her failed competition was ages ago. Really, she just hasn’t been able to bring herself to; there doesn’t seem like much of a point. Chaeyoung’s a barista, but she’s also a business owner. Her life is moving forward, no matter the direction it’s going in, and Chaeyoung’s had to come to terms with the fact that piano just tires her. It’s hard work, and even harder to succeed at, and no matter what, Chaeyoung just can’t bring herself to try for it.

Chaeyoung tears her eyes away from the piano and focuses instead on the laptop in her hands. She’s applying to a summer program for the arts, though she doesn’t quite know why, and has tasked herself with writing her admissions essay. The hour has already slipped away, and as Chaeyoung writes a dazzling essay detailing her love of painting, another one slips past. She’s only made aware of this by a knock on the door which breaks her out of her writing mindset.

Chaeyoung swings the door open, expecting a postman, or maybe Dahyun. Standing there, however, is Mina, holding a small box. Suddenly, Chaeyoung is astutely aware of the fact that she’s still in her pajamas, which are covered with tiny strawberries. Her hair is unbrushed, makeup undone, and there’s a pile of tissues in the living room. Nererii winds between her legs and Mina smiles down at her.

“Mina! What are you doing here— come in— how did you get my address?”

“Your friend told me that you were sick! I stopped in, looking for you, and she gave me this and told me to come see you. She also winked at me, which I really didn’t get but your address was nearby and Momo said it was fine if I left and I really wanted to see you— I mean! Make sure you were okay, and so,” Mina stepped inside, pausing in her spiel as Chaeyoung led her to the kitchen, “here I am. I hope I’m not intruding…?” She set the box on the kitchen counter and took a seat.

“No! Not at all! I’m just not exactly presentable, that’s all.”

“I texted.”

Chaeyoung picked up her phone from where she had left it on the kitchen counter. Mina had texted, indeed, and Chaeyoung completely missed it.

“Ah, I didn’t see it.”

The two girls looked at each other, an awkward silence rising between them. Chaeyoung couldn’t help but think about how different Mina looked under the lights of her apartment, how normal she looked, and yet, she still looked somewhat unreal.

“Well—”

“So—”

Both girls looked at each other again; Chaeyoung let out a sheepish giggle. “You go first.”

“I was going to say that you don’t look that sick to me.”

“What? Mina—”

“In fact, I think we should go do something!”

“Like what? Don’t you have work? And I should really be here in case there’s an emergency at Deja Brew or if something happens.”

“Momo let me leave early! Like, hours early. I think she just wants alone time with Nayeon. And we can go anywhere, Chaeyoung! Why don’t we have an adventure?” Mina jumped up from her barstool, extending her hand to Chaeyoung. “What do you say, Chaeyoung? Will you go on an adventure with me?”

“I barely even know you— I don’t even know your last name!”

“My last name is Myoui and yours is Son, right? Your friend mentioned it earlier. So, I guess we both know each other now?”

Chaeyoung heaved a sigh and took Mina’s outstretched hand. “Alright. I’ll go get dressed, feel free to help yourself to anything— and my dog is around, too, that’s Nererii.” Mina nodded in reply and proceeded to pet Nererii.

As Chaeyoung got dressed, Mina called out to her. “Hey, Chaeyoung. Do you play the piano?”

“I used to. I don’t play much anymore.”

She walked back out to the kitchen, dressed and in her coat.

“Ready?” Mina beamed at her and offered her hand again. Chaeyoung took it.

“Do you have a car?”

“It’s parked outside.”

The two girls ran out of the apartment, breathlessly sprinting down the stairs, still holding hands. As they reached the bottom, Mina, who was in front, spun around, and caught Chaeyoung, preventing her from falling. The two exited the building.

“I call her Cosma.” Mina stated, gesturing to her large, crimson red pick-up truck. Chaeyoung giggled— both the name and the car itself were so Mina-like. The other girl held the passenger’s side door open for Chaeyoung, shut it, and got in on the other side.

“So, where do you want to go, Chaeyoung?”

“The beach.” The words escaped her lips without her even thinking about it, but as Chaeyoung thought on it, she found them to be true. Mina turned the car on, and the radio up. Chaeyoung never thought she could have felt so comfortable, especially with someone who she had only just met. But somehow, Mina had this friendly nature that made Chaeyoung feel so instantly and completely at home , that she almost couldn’t bear it. By any means, Chaeyoung didn’t understand it, but she loved it. Never before had she felt so at ease so quickly.

After they had hit the freeway, Mina reached over and turned down the volume of the radio.

“Say, Chaeyoung. I’m sorry if I’m interfering that much but I’m just really curious. Why don’t you play the piano anymore?”

“Oh! It’s, well, complicated. To say the least. I mean, I love it, at least I used to. I’m good at it, too— not to brag, that is! And I used to be one of the most proficient young piano players in the country. I would go to competitions and play and win prizes and everything. But recently… I don’t know. I’ve lost what makes me want to keep playing. There’s nothing exciting in my life, I guess. There’s no reason for me to play— when I was little, I used to think I’d be playing forever, but I’ve become more realistic, now.”

Mina’s eyes don’t slip off the road, but Chaeyoung watches her profile shift into an expression, she’s never seen before. It isn’t quite anger, but Chaeyoung wouldn’t call it happy to any extent. It looks almost like a grimace.

“I don’t— Chaeyoung— I mean— Gosh, I really can’t do this while I’m driving. I’m sorry. We’re nearly there, can we talk about something else until we get there? Don’t worry, I’m not brushing you aside!”

Chaeyoung nods and asks a question about flowers. Her heart isn’t really in it, though— she keeps going back to the strange expression on Mina’s face. If Mina notices, though, she doesn’t say anything about it and answers the question with ease. This starts a conversation about favorite flowers, which continues until they reach the beach.

“I didn’t peg you as someone who knows so much about flowers.” Mina exclaims as she pulls into a small and sandy parking lot.

“I get that a lot, thank you Ms. Myoui.”

“No, I didn’t mean it like that. I was just impressed— if we hadn’t met earlier, I would’ve assumed you own a flower shop— it’s just that I haven’t had a proper conversation with someone about flowers, you know? Momo and Nayeon, they weren’t that much into flowers so I had no one to talk about it.”

“Looks like we have a conversation starter for future purposes then.”

The two girls grin stupidly at each other until Chaeyoung snaps out of it, realizes that the car is stopped. Hastily, she unbuckles her seatbelt and throws the door open, taking off for the beach.

“Hey, race you there!”

Mina takes off after her as Chaeyoung heads for the water.

“Wait! Chaeyoung! What are you doing— that water is freezing, it’s November! You’ll die, Chaeyoung! You’re going to die!