one

Athena Girl

 

Growing up, my mother has always told me that the gods have sculpted me from the dust of indestructible planets, supernovas and constellations from above. She would always tell me of my worth. That it is beyond measure and words; that I am an incalculable force to be reckoned with. Every night she never fails to remind me of who I am and what I am, and what I could be.

My mother told me once that, as a Queen, I will never bow down to anyone.

Her words held promises beyond reality and I was so eager to believe it all. I was, I am, proud of who I am: a daughter, a sister and most importantly, I am Kwon Mina.

You see, my proud mother not once told me why she believed that I was made by the heavens. She never warned me about my abilities and what I was capable of, and when I did learn of it she did everything she could to mask the truth.

Having a mutant daughter who seems more related to an alien from outer space explains why she never bothered explaining. She may have even hidden it so that it wouldn’t hinder me from being normal…like everyone else. Or perhaps she did it because she couldn’t conjure an explanation herself,  but one thing’s for sure: she doesn’t know how to control it.

In fact, I can remember her panicking each time I discovered a new talent that was beyond breaking the laws of physics.

The very first time it happened was when I was in kindergarten. Byun Baekhyun, my best friend since we were in diapers, was getting picked on by a bunch of little girls from our class because he brought a more expensive, better looking, Barbie doll with a lot of outfits to choose from. He brought it in because he wanted to play with me and at the time, I was really into dolls.

He was being called out for being feminine and what a show-off he was being for flashing his dad’s money like that. I mean, there’s no denying it that Byun Baekhyun is spoilt but nonetheless he only ever really uses his money when he needs it. Scratch that. That was back then, it’s different now.

I remember pushing one of the girls so hard that her marked the cement wherever it landed and she ended up with a broken tailbone. No wonder she ended up crying so loud and I got told off so badly. Even my mom was told off for not disciplining me.

How could she? Back then she thought that I was only really able to break baby chairs whenever I bounced up and down on it because I was a Michelin baby. To be fair, I was a very fat kid.

My mom didn’t even know how to tell me off at home because she didn’t know how to start going about it. She couldn’t just tell me off for being too strong, she knows I cannot help it, and even if I could, that girl deserved it for decapitating Baekhyun’s Barbie.

I think the funniest incident was when I ended up breaking the landing matt when we were doing high jump in physical education.

My teacher thought it would be smart of us to try and compete with each other on who can get the highest jump, so naturally being a competitive person; I jumped the highest I could.

I don’t know for sure how high I jumped, but I am certain that I jumped way over the pole so the effect of gravity was also past normal. I ended up going through the landing foam and onto the dirt that my mom got called in to pay for the damage.

She was so mad and that time she actually told me off.

Truthfully, it was only around senior year that I eventually figured out how to control my strength.

By senior year, I knew I wanted to catch criminals and enter the world of policing. So, naturally I started getting into Martial Arts.

Baekhyun had joined me as well because he was tired of getting harassed about being into guys and he said he was starting to get embarrassed because I always saved his .

I remember being so careful around Baekhyun so that I would never hurt him. Despite his tendency to throw a witty comment here and there, Byun Baekhyun was my rock and till now, I would do everything to ensure his safety.

In hindsight, we should have definitely joined something that involved less contact instead of MMA, but it wasn’t like we got completely nothing out of it. After several broken bones, Byun Baekhyun eventually got so skilled that he went onto doing some big-shot competitions and I learned how to fight without relying on my abilities.

Besides, all that endurance training prepped me for the entrance course to becoming a detective and now here I am, living the dream… kind of.

“Yah” of course it would be Baekhyun who has enough guts to shout at me while we’re having a peaceful meal on a noodle stand, “what do you mean you’re working again?! You’re abandoning me for your stupid job!”

I rolled my eyes. He can be really dramatic at times. “Am I really not worth any of your time anymore?!” I take that back: he is really dramatic all the time.

“We were meant to be going on a tiny trip to Jeju, as you promised, for our joint birthday celebration and you’re backing out of it because you have a mild case, which by the way you can easily pass on to someone, that you have to do?!” He whines, complaining about my recent announcement that I have been checked in to handle yet another patrol squad for a whole week that coincidentally fell on the same week that we were meant to leave.

“Why do you do this to me Ahn Jinah?!”

Baekhyun’s scrunched up face and knitted brows only really amused me. He had thick brows and doe-eyes that were far too adorable to be taken seriously sometimes. His curse in life is being pretty, I guess, too pretty.

“Aish, look at this girl” he shook his head at me in disbelief, “I’m trying to tell you off- ya! Stop looking at me like that!”

I couldn’t help but reach out to pinch his cheeks to ride on his irritation. This is why he’s so precious to me. “My Baekhyunnie is so cute when he’s mad, aw” I cooed.

He was quick at prying my hand off of his face, looking around to see that everyone was giving us strange looks. I could care less though, Baekhyun was fun rile up sometimes. Especially when it comes to things that happens between us; like the holiday, our first crush, and our first kiss.

“You crazy girl” Baekhyun spat, stirring his jajangmyun ever so violently, “eat up and get back to work fast!”

I hummed in content and started picking out the best bits of the side dish we had to put on Baekhyun’s bowl. He hated being treated like a baby by me, but I bet you this is one thing he won’t ever complain about.

I guess, one can say that Baekhyun really likes his meat.

 

 

 

 

My smile never faltered even when I arrived back in work after having lunch with Baekhyun.  He was the only man in my life who I can say I am truly proud of and is worth spending time with. 

Baekhyun can make any day into a happy day.  That’s his god given talent and it is just as rare and special as mine.  I could even say that it is far better than mine.

“She’s back” Mr Kim, the team’s chief, chirpily announced.  I was the only female in our office so it was understandable why they took care of me more than the other guys.  I never really made it a point to make them aware of what I was capable of, really.

“She was with Baekhyun” Kim Jongdae, my partner, was quick to point out as he playfully narrowed his eyes at me from behind his desk, “she always comes back late because of him.”

“At least I don’t come back late because I’m trying to pick up girls” I dished out, earning a round of laughter to reverberate around the room.

Kim Minseok, the braniac of our squad, agreed with me.  “I think he’s moved on to Kyungsoo’s sister now.”

“Ya! Don’t go around spreading like that” it is a well-known fact that Jongdae felt intimidated by Kyungsoo from the Busan SSAT squad after he unknowingly hit on his sister who came by to drop off lunch for Kyungsoo when we were handling a case back in their hometown.

“Aigoo” Jimin interjected, “I saw you dropping her off last night. I have to see these things because I’m unfortunate enough to live near you.”

I sniggered, taking off my gun from its belt and placing it on my desk for better comfort once I take my seat. “She’s too pretty, I bet she has high standards” I raised my brows at Jongdae who was staying quiet in hopes everyone would stop, “you’re way out of her league.”

Jongdae’s face scrunched, his mouth parting to form an ‘O’ from my bold statement.  “Ya! You say that like you have much luck with guys! You’ve never even had a boyfriend!”

“Who says I never had one?”

“With your face, it says it all!”  Jongdae spat out and I was quick to look at our chief for support, but he only shrugged at me. So, I turned to Kim Jongdae with a pointed look.

“I’m ing beautiful!”

This time it was the rest of the team who sniggered while Jongdae scoffed, nodding ever so sarcastically.  “Of course you are, agashi.”

Rolling my eyes, I clucked my tongue and peeled my eyes off of Jongdae.  I swear he is better at being sassy than at handling guns.  Besides, I don’t have to be assured to know that I’m easy on the eyes.  I know so already. 

My mom said so.