Mess

Unexpected Love (?)

"Yeri-ah~, can you do that for me, please?" Shin Hye asked her best friend with pouting lips and pleadingly eyes, putting her hands together up her chest and shaking his body playfully one side to another, trying to earn attention from Yeri. But somehow it failed as Yeri did not give her any attention. Being ignored, Shin Hye then swung one of Yeri's hands.

"What...? You're asking me that again? Oh come on, Shin Hye," Yeri got annoyed as she lost focus putting the eyeliner on her eyes and other simple make up routine, getting ready for going to Anam Hospital.

It was not the first time try since Shin Hye had been constantly asking Yeri to replace her going to blind date arranged by her mom. Just like this seven in the morning as she was coming over to Yeri's room.

The two were intern at Korea University Anam Hospital, one of the three academic hospitals owned by Korea University. Both were placed as nurses on the Emergency Department (ED). As intern, they had to live at the hospital's dorm near to the hospital building. Luckily, both were placed next to each other room and it did not give any matters as the two were besties which had been known each other since the first year college.

As for Yeri, she was getting sick for being asked the same question and continuously turning it down. It was not a big deal for her to be honest, but the thing was dating has not been on her to do lists, especially the time like this when she had to focus on her study as she was a latest year student. She did not want to waste her time for something unnecessary for her own.

Unlike Shin Hye who was from a rich family, Yeri was attending the school with full scholarship that she had to study hard in case having a bright future so she could help her family financially. It was her very reason graduating first and then having a promising job rather than wasting time on such a dating thing. That was why she had not been close to any guy and drew a friend line with the guys she had known.

"How many times did I tell you already, Shin Hye? I won't do something unnecessary," she shrugged while trying to let go of Shin Hye's hand that still swinging hers, but it failed as Shin Hye's grip was so closed firmly. "At least for now," Yeri said in her mind, assuring herself.

The blind date was set up by Shin Hye's mom who had a promise to one friend of hers, who had only age-mate son. As Shin Hye was the one and only daughter, she had to do nothing else but obey what her parents asked to, so was with this dating. She was against it of course because she had boyfriend already, but she had no choice unless she wants all her credit or atm cards to be cut off. In the end, she was forced up to give an okay answer. And out of her friends, she asked Yeri to replace her as she knew that Yeri didn't have boyfriend yet.

"Please help me, huh? You don't have boyfriend anyway!" Shin Hye demanded while positioning herself in front of Yeri and covering the mirror so Yeri gave her full awareness. "Who knows, may be you'll like him. Don't spend your time at library only, you nerdy."

"Ya! I'll be late if you bother me. Step aside!" Yeri yelled in sharpening tone as she tried to move Shin Hye's body away from the mirror, but it failed.

"No, I don't wanna move unless you promise me you will do that favor for me," Shin Hye stayed still while putting her hands on her waist, making a sharp triangle shape by her arms right at her elbow, showing the stubbornness of hers.

Yeri sighed in defeat. "Okay..." she breathed slowly as she closing her eyes. She put her hands gently on Shin Hye's shoulders, suggesting Shin Hye to sit on her bed, facing her. Shin Hye carried follow her step after won of getting an okay answer from her. "But in one condition! I don't do it freely," Yeri demanded.

"Whuaaa!" Shin Hye shouted excitedly, hugging Yeri tightly as she squeezed her best friend. "Just tell me what you want, baby. I'll do as you wish." Shin Hye could smile widely now as her cheek rose up and her eyes were so radiant, feeling relieved out of the matter. "A bunch of loves for you, my bestie," she continued while sending an air kiss to Yeri. "Mwuah! I love you. And hey, sometimes having a boyfriend can brighten you up. It will help you enjoying your time, you know."

"Whatever you said..." Yeri acted as if she caught the air kiss with her hands by putting it in . "I'll tell you when I found something that you need to help me," she said and then continued putting her make up on as she sat in front of the dresser. "When is the date, by the way?"

"Uh... " Shin Hye hummed. "I didn't remember well, sorry. I'll tell you when the day is near," Shin Hye said after trying so hard to remember when the date was.

"Aigoo... All you can remember is nothing but Jihoon, your dearest boyfriend. I knew it," Yeri teased Shin Hye playfully while Shin Hye could only grin, showing all her white teeth. "Well, you have a point!" Shin Hye answered matter of factly.

"Ah, I'm so happy now. Be careful on your way, Yeri-ah~" Shin Hye said, her voice was slowly inaudible as she picked up her towel that she brought earlier and took steps playfully exiting Yeri's room and then gone. She didn't go to the hospital like Yeri cause she had a night shift.

"Oh crap!" Yeri swore after looking at her watch. "I have to hurry up!" she shouted and ran towards her room door, waving her hand to Shin Hye who slightly be seen at the door that almost fully closed.

"Ya! Be careful on your steps!" Shin Hye said to Yeri in rising tone, holding her knob of her room as Yeri walked the stairs down. 


Today shift was not like the other day on Emegency Department, more like Monday as the first weekday which always inevitable busy. Yeri was late in the morning and got scolded by her seniors. She ended up getting the punishment task of reviewing nursing journals for at least 2 journals. Unluckily, it had to be done by tomorrow. 

Yeri was exhausted enough caring the patient here and there, yet the time was slowly ticking, still so far from time to go to dorm. She sweated so much as her make up on her face was nearly gone. She sat at the noursing counter alone now while the nurse seniors were taking a rest. She was dozing off, covering her face by her palms, fully absorbed by her own thought and not realizing that somebody was looking at her attentively.

"Tuk... tuk..." That somebody knocked the counter softly, but it was enough to make Yeri turned her head up in shocked. "Ah... Hi, Minhyun sunbae," she greeted him while waving her hand to him with smiling face yet wanly eyes. "Is there anything that I can help you with?" she asked with all her kindness. 

The guy sent her a purely smile. "No... I'm just coming over to see you. And what's gotten into you? I saw you dozed off a while ago," he asked full of concern on his face. 

"Eh, was I? Hmm... I'm fine, by the way," Yeri shrugged, pursing her lips. 

"Ay... Yeri, don't even try lying to me. I clearly saw your wanly eyes," he exclaimed. The guy was Hwang Minhyun, a doctor intern who was a year older than Yeri. Both knew each other since they were once being a part of children charity program on medical treatment and so many other programs afterward. As an intensive interaction ahead, Minhyun ineluctably fell for Yeri after seeing how warm and kindhearted she was while caring the children. 

Minhyun had confessed to Yeri on the day he got his doctor's bachelor degree which was a year ago. But, he got rejected by her with reason that she had to focus on her study and put aside dating thing. Honestly, it ached her heart that she had to reject, but she had to do it somehow. 

Yeri was thankful or all the kindness that Minhyun gave, but she knew where her place was and beside she was just a potato girl. She was just nobody next to him who was from a respected and well being family who owned a well known hospital in Busan. With his handsomeness and kindness which popular among all of the women, Minhyun just was far out of her league. 

Despite being rejected, Minhyun kept a good touch and intensive interaction with Yeri. He still loved her anyway, always wondering how she had been doing all the time. Just like this time, worrying as he wanted to help scattering her pain away. 

Well, Yeri knew she couldn't lie at all to Minhyun. He had known her so well. "I'm getting sick of coming to library every night. I've been draining. Yet, I got the punishment tasks this morning. Today is not my day, sunbae," she let all the things out as she always felt comfortable around Minhyun. 

"Do you want me to come over then? I can help you may be...?" he suggested himself wholeheartedly.

"N-No! Don't go, I'm fine. It just my body couldn't synchronize with all of these," Yeri answered instantly to reassure him. "You've came over accompanying me too many." She did not want to give him any burden as he already had many tasks too, as an intern doctor. She knew it. 

It was long before he answered back. A crestfallen face was seen on his face yet he was too much of a gentleman to let her see his dissappointment, forcing a smile as a natural one. "Oh okay... But, don't forget to take a sufficient rest. Take a vitamin too, you need it. Promise me that!" he directed in a scolding mom tone. 

"Hey, you sound like my mom, sunbae. But, thanks for that," she said only half joking, earning him laughed lightly over it. 

"Ehm! Ehm!" a clearing throat sound was heard for both Yeri and Minhyun, startling them. Both turned their head and saw the seniors were done taking a rest, standing there with a bit irritating eyes as the two clearly saw the glaring eyes of theirs. With that tensed situation, Minhyun thought that it was his sign to leave. 

"Text me when you're home, tonight!" He demanded and then he was gone walking away from her counter as he waved towards her. Yeri did not even dare to look at Minhyun's leaving after being caught up by her seniors, but she still heard all what Minhyun said and took a note of it in her mind. 

"Don't date here. You're here to study!" Jihyo, the oldest senior scolded her. "Your turn to rest." 

"I'm sorry for my wrongdoings. And thanks sunbae," Yeri answered while bowed a little to her seniors as she took back steps, leaving them who were gossiping behind. 


It was eleven at night with extremely quiet surroundings when Yeri just barely finished her medical reports for some cases and the punishment tasks in the hospital library. She sighed loudly, exhausted and drained for the day. The circle beneath her eyes darkened with each night she stayed up and went late to bed only to finish those paper works. 

Yeri lost too many energies, feeling numb at her knees and couldn't manage to give a look at the traffic light which was a red turn for pedestrian. Crossing the road carelessly while looking down, suddenly she heard a loud and long motorbike horn. She was fully surprised as she turned her head searching where the sound came from, and it came out that the motorbike was not so far from her. 

"Move! Move! Move!" The guy who rode the motorbike screamed, pointing his hand to her to move. But, before she could synchronize her mind with her body to make a move, the guy already fell, losing his balance from trying to avoid not to bump into her. 

"Argh...!" The guy groaned loudly as loud as his motorbike hit the ground. He barely managed to avoid bumping her and being surpressed by his motorbike, but not with his left hand, which was deep buried beneath it. 

Yeri stood still, trying to digest what had just happened. She couldn't breathe for a few seconds as she was frozen on the spot. Everything happened just in minutes when she was drowning on her thought after all the things which had been done all day. 

After she could pull herself together, she looked at the guy. "Oh my God! He's hurting!"

"Will you just stay still? Or will you help me, huh?!" The guy yelled offensively, making Yeri gulped her own saliva as she felt her nervousness. He then  stood up by himself as he had not seen any help sign from Yeri. 

She took steps forward towards the guy with trembling body as she felt some kind of coldness under her spine. She scared of course. "Oh... I'm sorry, very sorry," she said as she tried looking at the guy's hand which was hurting while bowing mannerly ninety degrees towards him. 

He looked so angry. Yeri could tell just by seeing his dark glaring eyes. The guy might be in a great pain in his left hand as he held it with the other hand. A clench jaw was seen in his face. "Are you hurting somewhere?" she asked and grabbed his hand, trying to roll up his denim jacket and the sleeve under it to look for any injury sign, but the guy pushed her away. 

His eyebrows were knitted together as his eyes were almost fully shut, his teeth were put together as his lips became narrowed and thin, grunting. "Do I look okay?!" he said sarcastically. 

"I'm sorry, truely sorry. How about we go to the hospital? I'm afraid that your injury was deep eventhough I didn't see any blood dripping from your hand," she apologized again, bowing her body ninety degrees for a couple of times, and explained what the worst could be happened. 

"Enough with your sorry! What will you do with this, huh?!" he asked in sharpening and rising tone. She could clearly hear what he said as if he was yelling right to her ears. Yeri bit her nail of her right thumb and her brows were furrowed, showing her anxiety and fear which were clearly seen on her face as she became pale seconds later. She didn't answered back. 

"Geez... It's no use screaming at you," he cursed under his breathe. 

"Oh , Yeri ah! Han Yeri, what the hell you've gotten yourself into!" She swore in her mind. "Today is really not my day." 


"This mess is crossed encounter or fate?"