My Kind of Fairy Tale

My Kind of Fairy Tale

OST : "What Makes You Beautiful" by One Direction. Listen while reading, or I'll hunt you down, ahrasseo?


Weekends were made to enjoy yourself. That’s what Yong Hwa was doing, updating his manhwa collection at the bookstore. Naruto, One Piece, Death Note……..what else? What was the last number of Bleach that he read? Soon his arms were full with the manhwa that he was going to buy. Balancing the guitar bag strap and the backpack on his shoulders, he circled the manhwa section one more time.

And that was when he saw her for the first time.

A girl wearing a light yellow dress, with a matching cardigan, black straight hair that reached past the middle of her back, and a pair of red rimmed glasses.

She glanced his way, probably looking at the genres.

The closer look of her face made his respiration system felt blocked. She passed him with a whiff of fresh scent, going to the Self Improvement Guides section.

He followed like a fool. A lovefool.

He followed her shelf after shelf, one meter away but she didn’t even realize it.

She looked young. Younger than him. She was wearing an earphone, and humming softly to the tune. She took two books, one on each hand, and bit her lip as she pondered which one to buy.

His heart did a weird summersault, and he wondered whether he should just step forward, introduced himself, and asked for a name.

Yet, he couldn’t make himself to do it.

The girl read the book’s synopsis several times, looking confused, before finally bringing both to the cashier. He tagged along behind her, two persons separating them, and then she smiled, thanked the woman at the cashier and went straight outside the bookstore.

Yong Hwa dumped the manhwa he was carrying to the nearest bookshelf without paying it, and went outside to chase her.

He feared to lose her, but managed to catch her sight at the ice cream stall, where she bought one, and walked out of the mall. This girl walked leisurely, looking around shop windows while her ice cream, before she went out the glass doors and stood at the entrance.

A Hyundai stopped, and she got in. Yong Hwa managed to see a man that might be her father.

The door was closed and she went away.

Oh God. No. Why am I so stupid? I should’ve asked her phone number, or at least her name.

*************************************

The next day at school, Yong Hwa was so out of mood that his friends wondered whether he was sick or something. His only answer to their question was, “I let her go”.

Bewildered, they asked in unison, “Who?”

Yong Hwa ignored them with a look so pitiful that they finally let him brood alone.

Biology was over and the teacher asked them to carry the two skulls they used to memorize the bones' names back to the lab. Yong Hwa and Jung Shin somehow got chosen and they carried the skulls without protest.

Jung Shin was blabbing about his new bass, how good it sounded and how glad he was that he finally had it, but Yong Hwa didn’t give any respond at all.

They passed the teacher’s room, and two girls passed and Yong Hwa’s hands went numb and he let go of the skull.

The hallway will be littered with fake skulls if not for Jung Shin who stopped the fall on time and hugged the skull with one hand.

“YAH! YONG HWA! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? DO YOU KNOW WHAT KIND OF TROUBLE WE’LL BE IF YOU BROKE THIS?”

“Who’s she?”

“What? She who?”

“That—that girl that just passed…….the—one wearing glasses?”

“Huh? Those two? They’re the tenth graders”

“You mean she’s in our school?”

Jung Shin frowned at his friend and almost flicked his thumb on Yong Hwa’s forehead.

“Yeah. Why? Just telling you, you look like a fish right now”

Yong Hwa was indeed having his mouth wide opened and his eyes widened in total surprise.

“But…..but—she’s her!”

Jung Shin huffed and finally said, “You can continue to blabber here but I want to put these skulls back to the lab and have some lunch. You can follow or continue to gawk here, I don’t care”. And Jung Shin marched to the lab alone, both skulls in hand, leaving Yong Hwa getting his soul back.

*************************************

Ever since he knew she’s in the same school with him, he spent his time outside class to search for her. There were 7 classes of 10th Grades, and he came early before school, ate his lunch in a hurry, and lingered even after classes ended to search for her. On the second day, he finally found her in her class, sitting to eat her packed lunch with a group of friends.

He tapped a girl’s shoulder and asked, “The girl on the second row, the one in a ponytail, ne, what’s her name?”

“Her, Sunbae? She’s Seo Joo Hyeon.”

“Seo Joo Hyeon?”

“Ne”

He beamed. “Gamsahamnida”.

The girl was flustered because Yong Hwa was such a popular sunbae and bowed low at him.

He was busy staring at Seo Joo Hyeon and didn’t notice that.

************************************

Days after that, he turned his friends deaf with praises about this girl. “She’s the second on all tenth grades this semester!”.

“She can play piano and won many championships. How cool is that?”

When it reduced into several utterances of “She’s so pretty, oh my God!”, Jung Shin had enough and attacked him.

“Yong. Does she even know you exist?”

Yong Hwa went speechless and their other friends, Jong Hyun and Min Hyuk, burst out laughing.

The giraffe was annoyingly right.

She doesn’t know I exist. That needs to be changed soon.

**********************************

Seo Joo Hyeon and Im Yoona found themselves surrounded by 12th graders sunbaes at the cafeteria.

“Annyeong” one of them said, reaching her tray, “I can help you carry this. If you’ll let me”

She couldn’t answer and just stared at him.

“Let go? I’ll help you”

Seo Hyeon let go and he carried her tray to the center table, the place where only 12th graders usually sat.

“What’s going on?” Yoona whispered to her, alarmed.

“Mwolla.”

“Did you do something wrong to offend the sunbaes?”

“I…..no, I don’t remember I did……”

His two friends sat on the side of the table while another guy offered to carry Yoona’s tray. She thanked him by bowing nervously.

“Hi. I’m Jung Yong Hwa”

“Ne? I’m….I’m Seo Joo Hyeon”

“Hi, Seo Joo Hyeon. Look,” he stopped, “Maybe this is so weird. But…..I like you. Would you be my girlfriend?”

Seo Joo Hyeon gasped and looked at him as if he was an alien with three heads.

“Y—your girlfriend? B—but I don’t even—know you……”

“I know………” he bit his lips, “Don’t be scared with me. Please. Do you think you can let me be your friend?”

Seo Hyeon glanced to Yoona. Yoona looked as lost as she was.

She took a short analyzing look on Yong Hwa and thought he didn’t look like a bad guy, “De. Algesseumnida”.

“Ah, gamsahamnida” Yong Hwa grinned and bowed a little.

**********************************

Yoona was all giggly and amazed when they got back to class. Almost jumping around in excitement.

“Did you know? He’s Yong Hwa sunbae from the famous school band, CNBLUE! Somebody cool just confessed to you!”

“Ye? I’ve never known him…..”

“Tsk. That’s because every time they’re playing on the cafeteria, you’re burying yourself with books at the library!”

The face of him smiling at her flashed in her head and she felt her cheeks warming. She cupped her own cheeks. “Did he……is he……..a guitar player?”

“Yes. But he’s also the main vocalist. His voice is so good……” Yoona praised dreamily. “Half of the school is in love with him. He even has his own fans club!”

“Like……Kpop idols?”

“Exactly!”

Somebody that great……..why does he pay attention to me? Is this real? Or is he a player?

She cleared .

“Is he……a player? Does he have a lot of girlfriends?”

“Deeeee? Seo Hyeonnie…….he has never dated anyone before! Girls showered him with love letters but he has never said yes to anyone. Omo! Come to think of it……I think you’re the first girl that he likes. Ahhhhh ottokeeee? This is so cuuuuute!”

Seo Hyeon pretended to get busy preparing notebooks and pens. While secretly, she was smiling.

************************************

Yoona and Seo Hyeon chatted happily, walking out of the school.

“Annyeong!”

They turned around and see Yong Hwa and Jung Shin standing behind them, as if they already waited for them for some time.

“Can I……walk you home?”

She was surprised but also flattered. “Um…..are we on the same way, Sunbae?”

Yong Hwa laughed. “It’s okay even if we’re on different ways, Seo Joo Hyeon. I just want to do it.”

They walked together in silence, she was looking at anywhere but him and he was trying to find a topic to say.

Meanwhile, Jung Shin and Yoona were having quite a normal conversation a few steps away.

“You……like self-improvement books right?”

“Ne. How do you know Sunbae?”

“I saw you on a bookstore……..a few days ago”

“Ah……ne. I went to a bookstore last weekend.”

“Why do you like reading?”

“Sunbae……hates reading?”

He laughed, “I don’t. I just…..feel sleepy whenever I start to read a book”

She smiled. “Books are loyal friends. Books are always there when I need it.”

“………I’ll always be there too, for you. If you’ll let me.”

She stopped in her tracks and stared at him.

“Sunbae…….don’t speak like that.”

He was actually embarrassed too, but he wanted to say those cheesy words to her. He meant it, really.

“I……know I sound weird. I just want to say it to you, because I mean that.”

“But Sunbae…..you don’t…..even know me.”

“Will you let me know you, then? Please?”

They were waiting for a green light in a crowded street.

His face was begging, the air was humid, and Seo Hyeon found herself nodding a yes.

****************************************

After that day, Yong Hwa just practically spent his free time courting her. All the feeling of dugeun dugeun and palms sweating, nervousness in just being close to her, he experienced all of it. And yet he did it gladly, for all of his anxiety was paid with one smile from her.

He was completely mesmerized. She gave him a lot of reasons. She was a shy girl, so shy. It took a lot from her just to look him straight in the eyes. She spoke like singing, so melodious in his ears. He also liked that she was so honest and polite all the time, with everyone, no exceptions.

And when he saw her played the piano for the first time, he was done for. Finished. Ended.

He’d never be able to see girls the same way anymore. Jung Yong Hwa was only 18, but he already decided he’d never love anyone else.

***********************************

Seo Joo Hyeon thought she’d only perceived him as a sunbae. Or an Oppa, at most.

She was wrong, and inevitably realized that.

When he first made advances, she was amazed that she felt no fear at all. He spread the aura of comfort and safety. Immediately.

The concept of “dating” was so out of her comprehension that she thought she would wait for a long, long time before trying it.

However, Yong Hwa Oppa said it was okay to be friends at first.

And he kept to his word.

He texted her every day and they talked about everything that passed their minds.

She used to think words like “Have you eaten?” or “Sleep well” were mere words of affection. But from him, it made her heart beat faster.

He accompanied her to her favorite bookstores, sat patiently while she practiced her piano, and said “Chukkae” when she got good marks at school.

He took her to his band’s practice, showed her the expensive Fender Strat he was dying to have, and bought her little cute things that she liked. For example, the Keroro pencil case she used every day after he gave it to her.

Falling for a guy was sweet and easy, apparently.

****************************************

When someone meant so much for you, all the things she did would be pretty in your eyes.

When she memorized dates for History, frowning and mumbling under her breath.

When she smiled everytime you said hi.

When she pushed her hair away from her face.

When she looked away because you stared too hard…………

Sometimes he thought it was so unfair. How she could affect him so much while he had not so much effects on her.

But when he offered his hand before they crossed a road, she held his, and he felt her fingers trembling, he knew that it was not like that.

She was feeling it too, just too reserved to show it.

The realization sent him over the moon for days after that.

***************************************

He did say he wanted them to be friends first. He began to want more, though. He just wanted to feel sure that she’s for him, and he needn’t worry about other guys.

They were walking home through a park one evening when he finally asked again.

“Joo Hyeon, I know I said I’ll be your friend first. But I can’t help to ask again. I mean it’s been two months. If you’re not ready yet, we can continue as usual……….”

Her eyes were sparkling and she looked at him steadily.

“Will you be my girlfriend?”

He counted the seconds and when he reached 12, he gave up. “That’s okay. I’ll—“

She reached out for his hand.

“Does this mean……..a yes?”

“Yes” she smiled shyly at him.

He spontaneously hugged her. “Thank you. I won’t let you down”.

***************************************

“I’m going to enter FNC.”

“………..the agency?”

“Ne.”

“You’re not going to study in university, Oppa?”

“I will. But more of my time will be dedicated more as a trainee in FNC.”

She was silent for a while before saying, “Follow what your heart’s desires, Oppa. And never give up on that.”

“………I will. I’ll make you proud of me.”

“What are you saying? I already am.”

Yong Hwa stared at her like she spoke Spanish all of a sudden.

When she realized what she said, she blushed and hid her face behind her book. They were sitting at the library. He was actually trying to study for his final exam, and she was reading another classic literature.

He pulled her book away.

“Did you mean what you just say?”

She looked down, following the wooden lines of the table. “Ne. I mean what I just said.”

*******************************************

Her phone rang around 1 AM.

“Oppa?”

“Hi. Sorry for waking you up”

“It’s okay. Did something happen?”

“………..”

“Oppa? What’s wrong?”

“I…….can’t sleep”

“Are you ill?” she asked with alarm.

“No. It’s just that, something is bothering me”

“What is it?”

“I have something important to tell you”

“Jeongmal? What is it?”

“I love you”

She was instantly awake. It was the first time he said that, and she felt tears making her eyes heavy.

“Joo Hyeon? Mianhe. I just…….want to say it now. If I’m scaring you, I—“

“Oppa. I love you too………”

“…………wow”

“You should know that by now.”

“I want to hear it from you in the morning.”

“Say it to me again in the morning. And I’ll answer the same way.”

“I’ll be at your gate as usual.”

“Sweet dreams, Oppa.”

“Of course I will. After hearing you say it, there’s no way for nightmares.”

She giggled before saying goodbye.

**************************************

Their first kiss was after prom night, in the school garden, he was in a suit, she was in a dress. He held her waist gently as she closed her eyes. The moonlight was shining above them and it felt like heaven. They would never forget that feeling.

**************************************

Days went by and he gained fame. He turned to be Korean’s idol, the hysteria of teenage girls and being number one on many ways at the entertainment world. He had never breathed her name in public, protecting her above all else.

He acted and interacted with many, many celebrities and one day she asked, “I’m glad you’re still with me though you’ve met all those pretty girls.”

He hugged her tighter to his heart. “Don’t joke around. You’re prettier than them all”.

She laughed and sincerely said, “Gamsahamnida. I hope we could always be like this.”

“I don’t want it any other way.”

****************************************

He proposed at a VIP restaurant, candles and diamond ring included, after playing Lee Seung Gi’s “Will You Marry Me”. She had tears in her eyes but quickly wiped it away.

“So?”

“Oh come on, Oppa. As if I would refuse!” she answered, slipping her fourth finger into the diamond ring.

***************************************

They married exactly ten years after they first met. He was 28, a CNBLUE’s vocalist, a prominent song writer, expert producer, and the heart throb of their generation. She was 26, a pianist, and a very beautiful bride.

For them, first love turned into the only love.

And they were happily together for as long as they lived.

***************************************

Author’s Note :

13 May 2012

LOLOL. The cheesy muse stole my brain and I wrote this. Did I just write this fic? I think it’s the cheesiest thing I’ve ever written! I was embarrassed when I backread and edit.

My 14 years old student is in love with One Direction and I guess I was influenced. I listened to “What Makes You Beautiful” everyday now and when I first heard it, all I could think of was Seo Hyeon, Yong Hwa, and well, this fic.

Combine the song with rewatching Niigata recently. See? I’m in an in love mood.

Also maybe all those performances of TTS is getting into me and I need a way to let out my worshipping of Seo Joo Hyeon.

When I read again, I sounded like a newbie in writing fic here. Despite it all, I hope you like this fic. Comment please?

Have a great day Gogumas.

I need to thank userinfo_v8.svg?v=17080?v=249.1shapaholic for linking this FMV of Seo Hyeon. With the song. Perfect.