Chapter 1

Walking On Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

 

“It is expected that the powerful Kwon household in charge of the largest construction company in Asia will merge with the equally powerful Do household in charge of the biggest chain of hotels and resorts in Asia with this upcoming marriage. This will create an unstoppable force that will threaten the livelihoods of smaller businesses involved in either fields.”

“With Kwon Jinwoo proving himself these past few years since stepping up to the role of CEO and Do Kyungsoo also about to inherit his father’s CEO position as he is the sole heir, we have a very promising collaboration in the works.”

“Let’s talk about the wedding that is about to take place for a second. What are your thoughts on Kwon Nari, Jinwoo’s younger sister, and Do Kyungsoo as the new it couple?”

“Let's be honest here, this is just another arranged marriage for business purposes. And I am willing to bet my house that I am not the only one who thinks this way.”

“No doubt in my mind it is—“

“Well actually, an interesting fact is that both Kwon Nari and Do Kyungsoo have known each other since they were toddlers and even went to the same boarding schools as well as graduate from Seoul National University. The Kwon and Do households go way back when their companies were just small businesses. The two often spent time with each other because of formal events and even spent many holidays together as my sources tell me.”

“So there might actually be feelings involved in this marriage is what you are saying.”

“It is a fact that a male and female cannot spend so many years together without some feelings being developed—“

“Turn that damn television off,” A cold voice resonated throughout the conference room.

“Well I can’t say I’m surprised because both of us saw this coming when we met you two in boarding school,” Park Chanyeol said as he swiveled in office chair.

Another male, Oh Sehun, stood and made his way to the groom-to-be. “Hey, at least it’s Nari. You’ve known her almost your whole life so at least you know she isn’t crazy or some gold digger.” Sehun patted his shoulder as he tried to provide some form of comfort. “I’ve always been fond of her, she wasn’t like other girls we hung out with. And by that I mean she was the only one at school that i could not get into bed—”

"Aish Sehun, I ought to kick your . She was like a sister to me."

“This is Kwon Nari, we are talking about,” Kyungsoo finally spoke. “Did you forget? She is the same girl that wouldn’t leave me alone during boarding school and university. She always had to make sure I had enough snacks for studying, gave me her notes when I didn’t ask for them, and even sent her maid to clean my dirty laundry when I knew how to send it out for cleaning myself!”

“Wow you sound like spoiled little bit—“ Chanyeol stopped Sehun this time by smacking him in the head. "OK, I'll stop. Damn that hurt." Sehun rubbed the part of his head that was hit and pouted.

“Mother insisted she go on ALL our trips, including the ones I spent with you guys. And she would do the same thing as she always does on those trips which was take care of me like I was a child. It was like I couldn’t breathe or enjoy myself!”

Chanyeol and Sehun both sighed in unison as they looked at their friend. “I will never understand how a perfectly nice girl like Nari could ever love someone that treats her the way you do,” Chanyeol shook his head, not being able to sympathize with his best friend.

It was known amongst anyone who was a friend or past classmate of Do Kyungsoo and Kwon Nari that the said girl has had feelings for the said male ever since they were children. She often showed her affection by cooking Kyungsoo food that he didn’t ask for, making sure he was always comfortable during exam periods by supplying his dorm with snacks and drinks, and more. She had always had this nurturing quality about her but Kyungsoo did not like the way she treated him like some kind of incompetent child. He knew how to take care of himself and never asked her to do any of those things. It was even to the point where she would even leave post-it notes telling him to eat well or to have sweet dreams. Every time she did something nice he would either feel guilty or embarrassed as his friends would make fun of him for having such a great “wife.” And how his worst nightmare was coming true.

But mostly he was angry because he felt like he didn’t even get a chance to find that girl he really loved to be his wife because it was already pre-determined for him. Not to say he never had girlfriends because he did have a few in the past, but they were never were that serious. But now he will never know if there was a girl he was destined to be with because of this upcoming marriage.

“Whatever, I only have a week left before all this becomes reality so just let me sulk,” Kyungsoo said she as leaned over the table, face now buried into his hands.

 

 

Kwon Nari was no fool. She knew Do Kyungsoo’s feelings about her (or lack of), but she didn’t care. To her, he was still the same person that smiled when she baked him cookies when they were just kids, the same person that carried her to the nurse’s office when she twisted her ankle during school, and the same person that offered her a jacket when she didn’t prepare the right clothes for a trip to Jeju Island. She knew he was doing those things because he felt obliged due to their parents but it still meant something to her. And he wasn’t always grumpy around her. Once in a while he would forget about her “silly crush” and would genuinely spend time with her. Like the time where their parents dragged them to some gala and they snuck off to the balcony to catch the sunset. Or the time she went with him and his friends on a trip to Japan and he was her seat partner as they rode rides at Disneyland.

It didn’t even matter that every time he had a girlfriend she felt like she would break into pieces or that he has told her he can never see her as a woman. She was always going to be there for him, through anything and everything. This wedding just solidified that fact, even if she can only be there for him as a friend.

“You look so beautiful!” Nari’s best friend, Kang Selgi, said as she tried to hold back tears.

Currently, Nari and Seulgi were in New York for her last wedding gown fitting and then they would pack up to the dress and bring it back with them to Seoul. Because she had previous fittings, she told her mother and soon to be mother-in-law that they didn’t need to come on this trip as well.

“You know, I still can’t believe that poor excuse for a fiancé didn’t come with you once to New York,” Seulgi couldn’t hide her disdain for Kyungsoo. “He could at least try a little, it isn’t like he’s the only one being forced in this marriage. It's been, what, five years since your families started planning the arranged marriage when you both first got out of college? He has had plenty of time to cope with it.”

“It’s alright… he’s busy because his father will only be CEO for a couple more weeks. There's a lot fo paperwork because he has to transition into that role,” Nari of course defended her husband-to-be.

“Are you sure you want this? I have to ask because I know no one else is willing to say anything. You can still find a way out, Nari.” Seulgi walked over to her friend and grabbed both of her hands. “I know you love him, but he doesn’t feel the same way. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with someone that can’t reciprocate your feelings?”

Nari paused for a moment, knowing her friend had been holding her tongue throughout this whole process until now. “Seulgi… this is what I want. As long as I can help him and be there for him… even if it’s arranged that is what I will do. This will help his future and will help ease his family’s mind so I will do it.”

Seulgi knew it was no use trying to talk more about the topic. Her best friend’s mind was made up and no one could change it. Do Kyungsoo was the person that gave her strength but also he was her greatest weakness.

“I’ll support you no matter what then.” The two friends exchanged a warm hug. “This dress will definitely shake that cold heart of his at least. You are seriously going to give him the shock of his life!”

 

 

It was the night of the wedding rehearsal, which was planned two days before the actual wedding. Both the Kwon and Do households were present, as well as Nari and Kyungsoo’s close friends. It was a semi-formal event, as the venue which the wedding was being held at was at one of Do household’s most prized Seoul hotels.

Nari chose to wear a coral, lace bodycon dress that went just past her knees. The dress was held up by spaghetti straps and had a slight sweetheart neckline. Due to the slightly bright color of her dress, she decided to wear a set of , strappy heels. She had a simple jewelry set consisting of a plain gold necklace and matching earrings. Her hair was also simple, as she opted for sleek, straight hair. Kyungsoo had on a tan blazer and pant set with a white button up long sleeve inside and a matching coral bowtie. He had brown formal shoes on and a gold rolex watch. His hair was styled as he normally wears it—a textured

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter