Nuisances of Love

That Specific Girl in the Library

Yoo Jeongyeon, senior college student, sweet, caring, charming, beautiful, and funny, so it was no secret how she could lure suitors from left and right – both girls and boys. The tall blonde knew her privilege as a beauty and her full potential as a girl crush. Despite the fact that the other students literally try to throw themselves to her and that she dates, she's very much single. Dating was one thing and dating was easy for the blonde when everyone she asked will give her a hundred percent answer of a yes.

 

The cycle goes like this, she'll take someone to one or two dates, maybe three if she really likes the person, but when she fails to feel that one thing that she's looking for a person, she'll drop them – in a nice way. Yoo Jeongyeon will explain her side in a polite way, telling the other that she couldn't feel that specific tug that she was looking. Overall to her experimental dates, she had never fallen for someone. Also, she hadn't kissed someone. Of course, coming clean with her dates that she couldn't feel the specific tug led to either nods or something thrown at her – handkerchief and sometimes something cold to drink.

 

Another reason why she couldn’t find and determine her special someone was that she had to work on weekends in their bakery. Yoo family owns a shop where she's in charge to help every weekend. For God's sake, she still couldn't believe how their shop was available for every day of the week. In result, mostly she took her dates after school days – lasting two to three hours of knowing them.

 

Jeongyeon sighed as she entered the library. These experimental dates kind of did their job in giving the blonde a certain reputation. She gave a polite nod when she passed the counter and the librarian. Some kept distance from her while some aimed to be part of her experiments, but it was clear how her name travelled across the university. With her striking beauty, her legs that went on forever, and her noticeable blonde hair, other students basically knew about her name and her in general. In no hurting intention, sometimes the tall girl enjoyed playing with those advantages.

 

She roamed the shelves, not checking for books but checking out for someone. Jeongyeon's smile curved higher when she spotted someone. A girl – as usual shorter than her – with rounded eyes, just below shoulder length brown hair, cute fringe, soft face features, and a book she knew nothing about its title in her hands. Testing waters, she approached the girl slowly with a good amount of distance from her before she faked being interested on the stacked books on the shelf. She whipped her head to the girl as she acted that she just recognised her then. It worked and the girl spared her a side glance.

 

That meant her cue to talk without feeling like stalkerish to the girl. "Hi," she raised her hand to the air and flashed her a blinding smile. To prove the statements from earlier, she bet that the shorter girl will lend her the book in her hand if she started to flaunt her mesmerising aspects to her. "Hey," the girl replied and looked at her.

 

Wow, Jeongyeon gasped quietly with the thought. "Can I help you?" the nameless girl asked softly because clearly the blonde's mind was nowhere near them. No response. Way to be smooth just as what the tall beauty initially thought and expected. "Do you need this book?" the girl attempted again before showing the cover to the taller one.

 

See, Jeongyeon could still work her magic even if she was close to a stuttering mess in front of the beautiful girl. "Yes," she managed to squeak out and then flashing her a goofy smile. Jeongyeon expected for the girl to hand her the book without a word but instead she smiled back teasingly, "Sorry, I'm still kind of reading it if it isn't obvious to you." The blonde's mouth gapped as she noted how the girl could sass. She cleared before she moved closer to her.

 

Gathering and searching for her composure, she cleared again and talked, "I'm sorry but I haven't seen you around the university," she smiled again because she knew her leverage with the simple action, "Or the library."

 

"I'm Jeongyeon," she extended her arm in an attempt to shake her hand. The girl closed the book with her forefinger as a form of bookmark before she replied, "I'm Jihyo. Park Jihyo." "Great," the blonde smiled before she retracted her hand because Jihyo never shook it and just stared at it with confusion.

 

She shook her head – swear to God that her gaming was way better than what she was showing right now, "I mean," she cleared again. What is wrong with you today, Jeongyeon? she cursed to herself. "What year are you on?" she tried a casual conversation. Her brain was only partially working because she was entranced to this Park Jihyo.

 

 

"I'm a junior," Jihyo replied, her eyes roaming to the taller girl's features. She noted small face and great shoulders. Jeongyeon once again was left with no response and just ended up staring blankly at the goddess in front of her. The shorter girl noticed it and chuckled. "Do you usually introduce yourself without your family name?" she asked, "Jeongyeon?"

 

The call of her name snapped her out of whatever void that she was stuck in and she was taken aback by what she just said. It was just that who didn't know her surname? She's Yoo Jeongyeon for God's sake. "Yoo, my full name is Yoo Jeongyeon," the blonde replied, and to her delight, Jihyo initiated to extend her hand to her. She reached for her hand and shook it. Casual flirting.

 

"Are you free on the next days?" Jeongyeon unknowingly blurted out. She didn't know why but it just flew out of her lips. What was up with her for today that her girl crush self and composure were missing in action? Because clearly she could use some of their effects on a stranger she took interest in dating. "Are you asking me for a date?" Jihyo asked back with amusement in her eyes. She lamely let go of her hand and shook her head, "No… I mean yes," she nodded shyly, "I would like to take you on a date."

 

Jihyo pursed her lips as she thought for her answer while Jeongyeon tuck her hands in her jean pockets in attempt to hide how fidgety she was as she waited for her answer. The junior hummed before she articulated her next words, "Sure, I don't usually get date invitations, here, in the library." The blonde smiled – happiness and excitement written on her face, "Great, how about this–"

 

"Saturday, 10 am in the morning," Jihyo finished her statement. Jeongyeon paused because she knew well how their bakery needed her hands on the said day; nonetheless, she shrugged and nodded her head eagerly, "Great, we could meet," she paused again as she watched Jihyo, attempting to get something from her bag. She eyed the girl as she closed their gap and took one of her own hand. On her right hand, she was holding a pen and began to dip it on Jeongyeon's palm. She wrote something and tickled the blonde, her fingers were kind of twitching on what she was writing. "You can meet me in this address," Jihyo urged and then looked up straight to her eyes which made her to nod her head slowly.

 

"I have to go, next class is in ten," she stated and walked past the taller blonde. She turned her back and saw Jeongyeon looking at her retreating self, "I'll see you on Saturday," she smiled and then walked away from her.

 

Jeongyeon wished that she was holding her mobile phone when Jihyo smiled before she went on her way because she just saw the sun shone in her gummy smile. For once, she was excited how this experimental date with Jihyo will go. She grinned to herself like a madwoman, but not in a creepy way, before she walked out of the library too. Why else would she be staying at the place, right?

 

-------

 

If one must ask how Yoo Jeongyeon got away with her weekend duties in the bakery, well, it mostly revolved around great measures of acting. Groaning dramatically followed by exaggerated fake coughs, oh, and also acting cute to her sister, Seungyeon. Those were the ingredients and the right procedures on how she managed to stay in her bed on a Saturday morning. She waited for a few minutes or an hour until she heard the family vehicle revved up.

 

The moment the blonde heard the car drove away from their house, she bolted away from her bed like a phoenix who rose from its own ashes. She grabbed a towel and quickly bathe for this anticipated day. Not to sound cheesy, Jeongyeon counted days until hours before today. She was basically walking with springs on her heels on how she was excited for this planned day. The girl finished freshening up in record time before she grabbed for her readied clothes. Waiting for this Saturday kept the blonde up at the following nights, so intead of groaning for the whole night, she used those sleepless nights to decide what to wear for their date – a red and blue checkered long sleeves, a grey shirt underneath, black pants, and a black pair of Vans.

 

Perfume and hair checked, she scanned herself one more time in front of the mirror before she rushed downstairs for breakfast. She had a quick bowl of cereal, brushed her teeth, and dangled her duplicated house keys on her forefinger. Checking the time as she locked their house, a good thirty-seven minutes was still in her hand. The blonde decided to take a bus just so when she arrived she will still be fresh.

 

When the bus stopped, she still had seventeen minutes to spare so what she did was to stop by a candy store to buy a pack of candies just to accompany her walk to Jihyo's desired place. Thank God that the place were nearly empty, making her purchase to be quick and easy. She opened a small gateway from the pack and let a piece drop on her palm. Red, she noted as she popped it inside . It tasted just like she expected – strawberry. She repeated the little cycle until she arrived at place.

 

Jeongyeon studied the place. It was a house but not quite. The one-storey house was colourful as if enticing and what she noticed was its yard was spacious. It definitely resembled something but she couldn't quite get it from the tip of her tongue. She grinned and hurriedly rolled the opened part of the pack of candies before she crossed the street and rang the doorbell. She inhaled deeply – her excitement couldn't be contained. The door slowly creaked and opened. Butterflies raged inside her stomach as she waited to be greeted by Jihyo.

 

Alas, the girl's shining and glowing face met her. "Hey!" Jihyo enthusiastically greeted before she opened the door completely. "Thank goodness, you made it!" the shorter girl beamed. It kind of confused Jeongyeon when she heard her said those words, but either way the blonde replied with a pearly smile.

 

"Mama Jihyo, who's on the door?" Jeongyeon heard the faint asked question, and when she looked down, she saw a kid who clutched on the hem of Jihyo's top. The junior girl was wearing a cozy oversize sweatshirt, a pair of dark blue denim jeans, and a pair of indoor slippers. "Mama Jihyo?" Jeongyeon let out her confusion slipped out of .

 

Jihyo patted the head of the younger girl and answered, "Tzuyu, this is Jeongyeon and she'll look out for you while I buy the ingredients for today's lunch," she smiled which Jeongyeon witnessed its full greatness. "W-What?" the blonde asked with wide eyes, but before she was answered and could protest, Jihyo had deliberately pulled her by her right hand inside the place. "Why don't you meet my seven ankle-biters?" the shorter girl mused to the still very confused girl.

 

Jeongyeon eyed the place, a rectangular short table in the middle, blocks and stuffed toys thrown in the vicinity, and six other little ones who were currently busy with their own worlds. In total, there were seven energy packed kids in the room. "What about our date?" Jeongyeon whispered like she was fearing to be found out by the seven probably devils. The blonde wasn't bad with kids, she just always kept her distance when she stumbled upon one. To be frank, seven was just too scary for her. "Yeah, about that, I kind of lie," Jihyo offered a small smile as she Tzuyu's hair, "What I needed for this Saturday isn't a date but another helping hands for the kids." The blonde was outright about to leave the room without a word but Jihyo had taken up her hand and looked directly to her. She gulped when their hands connected. It was different when they shook hands because she felt a spark when Jihyo held her hand.

 

"Look, I usually have my grandfather to help me out on them but he's feeling under the weather these past days and these kids have really busy parents and already really attached to me," Jihyo said it in one breathing, "Please, you got to help with this plus you seem like a good and trustworthy person," she pleaded with her eyes. By the time the blonde let her sigh out, it clearly meant an utter defeat on her side. "Fine," she let out, "I'll help you out for today." "Thank you," Jihyo replied with her palms joined together in a praying act.

 

"I'll introduce you to the kids," Jihyo said and then clapped her hands, calling the attention of the busy ankle-biters. The other six gathered up – eyes focused to their new visitor. "This is Yoo Jeongyeon," the junior began to speak, "She'll help for today."

 

"Hi," Jeongyeon greeted as she waved her right hand to them. "This is Nayeon, she's eight," she pointed to girl wearing a lavender sweatshirt, cozy pants, and white socks. Well, all of the kids were only wearing socks. "The sevens, Momo and Sana," she pointed to a girl wearing a pink shirt and black shorts followed by a girl wearing a light pink dress. "They are Japanese so make sure to explain the words they couldn't understand," she reminded Jeongyeon on her side. "Six and five, Mina and Dahyun," the first girl was wearing an oversize red sweatshirt past her knees and the second girl was wearing a blue shirt and black shorts. By now, Jeongyeon's head was already spinning with the amount of information and colours that she was absorbing.

 

"The fours, Chaeyoung," a girl wearing a red and white striped shirt and denim shorts. "Cute," Jeongyeon commented on the shortest girl. "And then Tzuyu, our youngest," she patted again the head of the kid beside her – wearing a white sweatshirt and black cozy pants. "She's the youngest?" Jeongyeon confirmed. The little girl, Tzuyu, didn't seem to like it and hid behind Jihyo's figure. "Yep," Jihyo nodded before she urged the stray kid to join the other six. "So, yeah," the junior girl began to walk away from the blonde, "I will," she headed to a certain countertop and grabbed her purse, "See you later." With that, Jeongyeon hung to her confusion as she was left alone with the seven kids.

 

-------

 

Chaos, it was a real chaos when Jihyo stepped out of the room. Sana and Momo began to fight over a single stuffed toy when in fact countless of them were scattered around. With an arm for each girl, the two tried to settle it by who was stronger in pulling it to their side. Jeongyeon hurriedly paced to the fighting girls, knelt down, and attempted to mend the two. "Sana, Momo," she cooed.

 

"I'm Momo!"

"I'm Sana!"

 

The two quickly whipped their head to the blonde and spat out those words. It seemed like Jeongyeon made a grave mistake. "Hey, I just met the two of you today," she smiled awkwardly, "So no need to stake me over wrong name calling." Her words caught their attention and they stopped from fighting. They looked synchronously at her that she thought that maybe the two were twins or something. "I don't understand what you said," the real Sana stated. "Me too," the real Momo agreed. The blonde sighed, "All I'm saying is that you two should not fight," she said slowly while gesturing to them and the toy.

 

Momo's face lit up – telling Jeongyeon that her message was successfully perceived, "I was first to Teudoongie! Sana is an idiot for taking Teudoongie!" "Teudoongie?" the blonde dumbly muttered to the two. "Teudoongie is this!" Sana aggressively pointed to the stuffed toy with cutely furrowed brows, "But it was my turn to play with Teudoongie!" This was dumb, Jeongyeon knew that what they're fighting for was dumb. Kids are dumb. "Maybe no one gets to play Teudoongie?" the blonde laid out her uncertain advice. The two didn't like what they just heard. The tall beauty cleared , "Maybe Teudoongie is tired of playing, and because of you two fighting, I think Teudoongie needed some rest," she nodded to herself and smiled to the two.

 

Jeongyeon felt lost as she watched Sana and Momo stared into her soul. Momo huffed and shoved the toy to her, this caused the blonde to fall onto her bottom. "I guess, you're right," the little girl huffed. "Sana?" she tried to hear the other's verdict to her advice. "Fine, I guess," Sana crossed her arms and puffed her cheeks adorably. The tall girl was starting to think that the girl resembled a Shiba Inu. "I don't want Teudoongie to get tired," she explained to her. Kids are really dumb. She let out another sigh but for this time it was mixed with the feeling of relief. "Why don't you two play somewhere else?" she curled her lips and patted each of their heads, "Or behave in some corner or something."

 

The thing about being in a same room with kids was that problems rose continuously – spreading like an unfortunate wild forest fire. When Jeongyeon whipped her head to her right, gapped and Teudoongie fell from her hands. She was currently looking to Chaeyoung – she remembered her because she was so tiny and cute when Jihyo introduced her – who was busy smearing black crayons on Dahyun's face – she also remembered her because of her milky white complexion. Jeongyeon grabbed the stuffed toy again when she snapped out of horror. She directed her long legs to the spot of her new problem. She placed the toy nicely on the top of a wooden drawer before she sat next to the two.

 

Dahyun was seated on the on the table with her torso levelled down so Chaeyoung could properly smear the blackness of the crayon to her milky white skin. Jeongyeon noticed that Dahyun was holding a pot of plant. She scratched the back of her head to the sight of the odd duo. "Hello, Dahyunssi," she greeted the girl. The little girl looked at her and smiled proudly, "I'm not Dahyun, I'm Daon," she pointed to the blonde, "And this is Chaetilda," she pointed next to her friend. "Right, right," she knelt behind Chaeyoung and held her busy hand, "Let's stop bearding, Daon," she played along with the two.

 

"No," Chaeyoung whined and moved her hand away – accidentally grazing the forehead of her friend, "Daon has a good beard."

 

"I think Jihyo will not like Dahyun–"

 

"Daon," the older one interrupted.

 

"Daon to eat lunch with funny looking lines on her face," she tried to convince them. "Why?" the shortest one asked. Oh yeah, Jeongyeon almost forgot the fact that kids have tons of questions to adults. "It's just that," she knew she was bad at this – reasoning out to five and four year olders. "Can we put it instead to you?" Chaeyoung beamed, and by the time Jeongyeon looked at her baby eyes, she knew how much she'll nod to their request. The odd duo beamed at her before they proceeded to take crayons on their hands.

 

They began to happily doodle on her face. "Dahyun, why are you holding different colours?" she asked to the horrible kid. "Chaeng loves rainbows and I thought I can make rainbows on your face," Daon proudly answered. Kids and their love for rainbows, "Put as much rainbows as you two want," she stretched her arms sideways and welcomed their hands to her face. They coloured happily – Dahyun was laughing with her work while Chaeyoung scrunched her nose cutely in focus.

 

The two dropped the crayons on the surface of the rectangular table when they were done and satisfied with their masterpiece. "Done?" Jeongyeon worriedly asked. Relief dawned again to her when the two nodded at the same time. "Good, now I must look out for the others," she lifted her hands and raised her pinky fingers, "I'll clean Dahyun after I check the others. Now, promise no more bearding while I'm away." Two other pinky fingers laced on hers, making her smile proudly to the little ones.

 

Jeongyeon was already tired but she held on and bravely looked around the place. She didn't know why it felt like someone was missing, but for the time being, she walked across the room and knelt down in front of Mina and Tzuyu. Mina was busy making a tiger plushie danced and Tzuyu was watching the plushie danced. The blonde deduced that two were the quiet and well behaved ones. She noted how cute Tzuyu's position was – sitting quietly while resting her chin on her levelled knees. "So," the senior student cooed, "All good in here? No present chaos?" she asked. No answer. It seemed like the two were too quiet for their own selves. She was fine with it though, so what she did next was to face Tzuyu completely.

 

"Tzuyu," she called and caught her attention, "I have a question." Tzuyu looked at her expectantly with calculating eyes.

 

"What's in it for me?" the little girl replied.

 

"What do you mean what's in it for you?" the blonde asked, way too surprised to what she just heard, "You're four," she stated firmly. She watched the girl shrugged before she focused back on the dancing tiger plushie. "Okay, fine," Jeongyeon surrendered as she fished out her pack of candies from her back pocket.

 

"How about this?" she showcased the colourful and enticing pack to the youngest. Tzuyu was hesitant but she took the offer nonetheless. "Is Jihyo already dating?" Jeongyeon leaned in secrecy and asked the little girl. "Nope," Tzuyu dropped a candy in and answered her. With a piece dancing in , the girl added, "Mama Jihyo is single and if she isn't then we should've met the person." Jeongyeon nodded, "What about someone she takes interest with?"

 

Tzuyu reached her right hand to her and curled her short fingers twice. "What?" the blonde mused – in total confusion with the kid. "I can't answer that," the kid replied nonchalantly. Finally it clicked to Jeongyeon, "You need another offering?" she asked with furrowed brows and Tzuyu nodded. She fell dramatically on her hands and groaned. "It's scary how this kid is so smart," she whispered really soft and to herself.

 

"Never mind," she stated – defeated by the kid, "I have to clean Dahyun's face." She patted Tzuyu's head and then Mina's, "Stay behaved," she reminded the two and went back to the odd duo.

 

She lifted Dahyun from behind and spoke to her little friend, "I will borrow Dahyun and return her back shortly," she winked at Chaeyoung who was focused on scribbling on her sketchpad. The blonde placed Dahyun on the side of the sink and dabbed her own handkerchief with water. She started to gently wipe the smeared crayon on the girl's face. Dahyun smiled when she felt coldness on her cheeks. "God, you really look ridiculous, Daon," she playfully said her character name. Dahyun quickly slapped and the knob of the faucet. "You look ridiculous!" the little kid stated and swiped her hand across the running water – splashing directly onto the blonde.

 

Jeongyeon stepped back while hearing Dahyun's loud laughter echoed to the room. "Okay! Okay!" she blurted out as she shielded herself from her attacks, "I give! I give!" Dahyun finally showed mercy and halted her mischievous attacks. When she thought it was safe again, the blonde closed their gap and continued to clean the girl. "Done," she stated after she wiped the accidental line on her forehead, "Oof!"

 

Dahyun had jumped from her spot and clung around Jeongyeon's neck, "Carry me back to the tiger cub!" she commanded. The tall beauty hugged Dahyun in place, "Who might that be?" "Duh, it's Chaeyoung!" the girl cheerfully answered – voice directed to her poor ear. She winced to the loud answer and began to move her feet accordingly to her demand. "Don't you see her resemblance to a baby cub?" Dahyun mused to her, "Especially her eyes." Jeongyeon hummed, "Now that you said it, she kind of does look like one."

 

She placed Dahyun down and checked up again on the baby cub. "And I'm an eagle!" Dahyun made sure to call back her attention, "Look."

 

The eagle started to spread her wings and flapped it in the air as she banged her head up and down. "Okay, okay, Dahyun," she avoided her wings and successfully held her by her shoulders, "Calm down, you're an eagle. I get it." Thankfully, the eagle stopped and smiled at her proudly. Jeongyeon's energy was completely being drained by this specific one. When she peaked her head out to the other odd kid, she realised that she was busy with drawing. There was a doodled tiger and she was currently working what seemed like a penguin. “Cute,” she commented then smiled when the kid looked at her, “This is you, right?” she pointed to the yellow tiger, “But who’s the penguin?” she asked. Dahyun appeared on her side with puffed chest as she inhaled comically, “That is,” she grinned to her friend, alerting the cub on what she was about to say. “No!” Chaeyoung whined and bolted up from her position. The eagle quickly moved to the blonde’s ear and leaned close.

 

The cub followed through and shoved the older one away from the new guardian. “Don’t tell her!” she whined. Dahyun fell on her as she laughed at her friend teasingly. Jeongyeon acted fast, followed the agitated cub, and swooped her into the air. Chaeyoung was tiny so it was no big deal when she created space between the odd duo. The little kid started to swing her arms and kicked the air, “Put me down, Jeongyeon,” she said. The blonde couldn’t help it but to think the whining tiger was really cute. She turned her around so she could face her and the kid began to hit her chest. It didn’t hurt because the kid had the littlest pressure. “Cute,” she cooed as she smiled goofily at her. “I’m not cute,” Chaeyoung pouted and then doubled her efforts in inflicting pain to Jeongyeon.

 

The blonde watched Chaeyoung to try her best for few minutes until she decided it was time to stop toying with the kid. She brought her down and let her continue to draw, but what she didn’t realise was that someone missing was standing in front of her. Nayeon stood on her ground as she devilishly stared at Jeongyeon. The tall girl was about to say something but the eight year old beat her to it, “I don’t like you,” the kid said it as matter of fact. Jeongyeon was taken aback, “I don’t like you with Mama Jihyo, Yoo Jeongyeon,” she heard the girl repeated it more clearly and then firmly said her name. Shivers run down to her spine and she watched the girl with horror. Nayeon must be one of those kids whose only fitting description was the word headache. Jeongyeon was about to retaliate. Maybe lecture the girl or maybe clear her name that she wouldn’t do Jihyo wrong, but the doorbell rang again – calling the attention of the occupants of the room. The blonde rose, walked to the door, and opened it. Her tiredness miraculously faded away when she was greeted again by Jihyo’s gummy smile.

 

“Hey, you’re still alive,” the shorter girl greeted, “How are they?”

 

“Barely,” the blonde answered, “They hadn’t set the room on fire so I think they’re good.”

 

Jihyo chuckled and entered the room – witnessing the kids were munching something. All seven seemed to be eating something colourful and from what it was worth it was the candy Jeongyeon handed to Tzuyu. The youngest one must’ve distributed the candies to her fellow ankle-biters. Jihyo rushed to the kids, alarmed at their current state. “Candies?” she asked as she took it off from the hands of the little kids. “Where did you get this?” she raised the pack and raised her tone. Everyone, all seven of them, pointed to the blonde behind Jihyo in synch. The girl whipped her head and looked sternly at the suspect, “Seriously? Sweets right before lunch?” she scoffed. Jeongyeon was about to argue back or maybe explain her side, but she could only open and then shutting it again, “Sorry,” she muttered in defeat. The real guardian sighed – not much she could do about it other than forgiving the blonde.

 

“You should have lunch with us,” Jihyo told her over the shoulder despite the terrifying deed that she just did with the kids.

 

-------

 

Unlike her experience with the seven, when Jihyo was in the vicinity, the kids were almost like angels to her eyes. Well, not until Sana flicked a spoonful of their lunch and waged a war with Dahyun until everyone joined – surprisingly including Mina and Tzuyu. Of course, Jihyo made another quick actions, raised her voice and lectured the two troublemakers. Sana and Dahyun were forced to hide behind Jeongyeon as they ran away from the consequences from their real guardian. The two decided to clean up the kids because their clothes were mostly stained by their poor act. No one should attempt to play and waste food.

 

Jeongyeon was seated with Chaeyoung on her lap as she waited for Jihyo to finish up with the last dirty kid on the sink. She really likes the four year old because beside the fact that she was cute and tiny, was because the kid was warm to her. She didn’t feel this blinding energy like from Nayeon, Momo, Sana, and Dahyun, and she didn’t have to deal with cold silence like from Mina and Tzuyu. She watched her stared at the storybook that she couldn’t quite read yet – mainly just staring at the pictures. “Are you going to be here again on Saturday, Jeong?” the little cub asked as yawn escaped . “I’m not really sure of that,” the blonde answered honestly.

 

“Well, you should,” she mumbled, “Mama Jihyo really needs someone to help her with us.” Jeongyeon didn’t answer and just flipped the next page of the book. The tall beauty couldn’t answer the little one because she wasn’t after for taking care of seven kids all at once in her supposed date. “Hey,” Jihyo spoke from behind – calling the attention of the senior. Jeongyeon looked up and gave out a small smile to her in return. “Let’s clean you up,” the guardian stated.

 

“You already cleaned Chaeyoung.”

“Not her, you,” Jihyo pointed out to the lower part of Jeongyeon’s face.

 

Butterflies once again fluttered inside her stomach before she nodded and placed Chaeyoung quietly on their spot. She followed Jihyo to the sink and let her do her work.

 

“Is the black lines supposed to be rain along with the rainbows?” Jihyo mused as she dabbed the wet cloth to her skin.

 

“No, those are beards and Dahyun just added rainbows on my face for Chaeyoung,” Jeongyeon replied – unconsciously staring at her face, “Are they your kids?” she asked.

 

“Yes, Jeongyeon. I’ve fallen to a man and left me with seven kids,” she replied sarcastically which earned her a scoff and a roll from her eyes. “Of course not,” she chuckled loudly – head hanging low before looking up again, “This is kind of a kindergarten and they have really extreme busy parents. Bunch of businessmen and businesswomen.”

 

The blonde was both lost from her beautiful voice and beautiful face. She kind of lost there – staring blankly like a gapping ostrich. Jihyo tapped her right cheek and then tapped her back, “All fixed,” she smiled to her. Jihyo walked away and checked out for the kids again. For the rest of her stay in the place, she just kind of acted like the dysfunctional ostrich that she was as she spared glances to Jihyo from time to time. They didn’t talk that much because the girl would be approaching kids every time she heard a whine or a cry from them.

 

Jeongyeon’s back was resting on the wooden drawer as she sipped the juice that Momo handed to her – still watching Jihyo’s every movement. “Why are you looking at Mama Jihyo like that?” she heard from her lower left. It was Tzuyu, sending out curious puppy eyes to her. She straightened herself, “I-I’m not looking at her,” she cleared .

 

“Lame,” the puppy commented before she walked away from Jeongyeon. The blonde groaned because kids could be really handy at times. Hours later and Jeongyeon decided that it was time to go home. After all, she faked her own sickness and to be seen outside of her bedroom was not going to turn well both with her parents and her sister. Jihyo walked her to the door and thanked her again for her help. She found herself feeling proud for her good performance and surviving the wrath of the seven kids. She also bid the kids goodbye – well, mostly Dahyun, Sana, Momo, and Chaeyoung were the ones who waved back to her. She was very much still invisible to the other three. Somehow it felt weird how she didn’t have a date with Jihyo but still she somehow enjoyed the day. She felt youthful for this experimental date with Park Jihyo.

 

-------

 

Four days had passed since her date, and honestly, Jeongyeon liked Jihyo and would like to have a proper date with her if she could just know how to contact the girl without meeting the seven devils. The only thing she knew was that she’s a junior and a schoolmate. She forgot a lot of things when she hastily left the kindergarten last Saturday. She forgot to get her phone number, e-mail, or maybe her address if she was willing to give it to her. So for the past days, she tried to look for that specific girl in the library but failed to do so. She was already losing hope about meeting Jihyo again.

 

Letting out a burdened sigh, she closed the very same book that Jihyo borrowed from the first time she saw her. The girl had returned it but Jeongyeon was in no luck and missed her chance to see her again. With a frustrated feeling, she left her fourth consecutive visit to the library.

 

Friday, almost a week had gone by, the blonde entered the library again with the same intent to look out for the beautiful guardian of seven devils. She had accustomed herself with entering the place for the past days that she stopped greeting the librarian for every day that she entered the place. Yesterday, she found a great spot in the spacious room where she could be hidden from the librarian but at the same time had a full view of the library. She wasn’t much of a reader and her intention inside the library was solely to find a date. As she waited for Jihyo, she would be playing muted games on her phone. If one may ask, Jeongyeon doesn’t really hang out with anyone so she has a lot of free time for most of her school days.

 

Clock ticked and the girl slowly felt her eyes heavy. When she decided to rest her chin on her right palm, she knew that she had lost it and dozed off.

 

Thank God for her safe spot inside or else she would’ve been humiliated by the well-known terror of a librarian. When she woke up, after an hour or so and skipping her next class, she was greeted by the girl that she had been thinking about and looking for. “Hey,” she beamed to the junior girl.

 

“I need your help again for tomorrow,” Jihyo directly stated her point. Jeongyeon visibly frowned on her, “What? You mean with the kids?” she grimaced on her request.

 

“Yes,” the doe-eyed girl nodded slowly.

“No,” the blonde replied – lips pursed into straight line.

 

“Come on, didn’t you get attached to them?”

“I don’t, plus I already forgot about their names, Jihyo.”

“I’ll make it up to you,” the girl pleaded both with her eyes and her clasped hands.

 

Jeongyeon furrowed her brows – interested about her terms, “Yeah? How?”

“I’ll make them wear something that’ll make you to recognise them easier,” Jihyo answered hesitantly.

“What? No,” Jeongyeon shook her head before pointing to the girl, “You owe me a proper a date,” she stated. The blonde didn’t quite know how she was so hooked up with getting a proper date with the junior. Maybe she really like her minus the seven dwarves.

 

“Just this once and I won’t bother you again,” Jihyo reached for her hand and held it tight in attempt to convince her. She was getting whipped.

 

“Fine,” she sighed, “This will be the last time.”

“Great! Same time tomorrow then,” Jihyo stated with that damned gummy smile of hers.

 

-------

 

For this time, it was stomach ache which her sister doubted at first but later on bought the said lie. Jeongyeon knowing the full reason of her visit to Jihyo led her to less flashy set of clothes and smart decision of non-existent sweets tucked in her pockets. She rang the doorbell and was greeted by her smiles again. When she entered the place, the kids were wearing animal onesies and her heart may or may have fluttered from the sight. Not long after she arrived, Jihyo vanished behind the door from the left hallway connected to the main room. She told Jeongyeon that she had to take something important for today that she couldn’t miss, so she was in charged with the kids. Of course, the blonde couldn’t say no and just accepted her wishes.

 

Jihyo told her that she’ll be back by 3 pm so until then Jeongyeon had to survive on her own. The guardian hugged the blonde before she left the place which earned her the infamous lame comment of Tzuyu when she was caught grinning after Jihyo removed herself from her taller frame. The lunch was practically made for the kids. It was hell of a work for Jeongyeon, too, but it helped and it was easier to act older than the seven when she could properly call them by their names. Jihyo also made an intricate note about the kids. Dahyun, the eagle, prefers her milk with chocolate so Jeongyeon helped the girl pour it to her drink.

 

Chaeyoung, the tiger, doesn’t like beans and maybe hates it with passion, so in order to avoid wasting of food, she made sure that her plate didn’t get any. Momo, the raccoon, eats anything and the hardest thing about the girl was serving her seconds fast because the little one could really eat a lot for her small size. Jihyo noted Sana, the hamster, in red marker – indicating that the kid was a moving clumsy wreck and it would be much better if Jeongyeon will do everything for her. There was no note for puppy Tzuyu since she was a behaved eater while penguin Mina was noted be a really shy eater, so it was advised that Jeongyeon should ask the girl from time to time if she wanted or needed something. About the white bunny, she was a loud eater – laughing alongside Momo and Sana. There was pretty much lack of silence with the girl. Oh, and also, Nayeon still made sure that Jeongyeon knew well that she wasn’t liked or welcomed in their nest.

 

Thankfully, no lunch war happened and Jeongyeon managed to clean up after their mess. Second time wasn’t so bad guaranteed that she already had the first hands-on with the kids. Still tiring, but for her second time, she did great. She just had to take on her alertness in tenfold. She got alive until 3 pm in the afternoon by faking nods to their probably made up stories and faking that she was great with dealing conflict resolutions between to two to three kids involved – mostly about plush toys or whose turn is it. She also did a great job in scooping kids who attempted to reach the cookie jar in the cupboard – going full rogue while Jihyo was out for the day. Jeongyeon noted that she scooped Dahyun and Momo away as they climbed over the countertop with the use of chair.

 

Sana almost reached it because she took alliance with both Dahyun and Momo. The two distracted her as Sana did the dirty works for them. The good thing was clumsiness was naturally encoded in her genes and she accidentally made a noise which made the blonde to whip her head to the direction. But seriously before Jihyo arrived, she decided to give the kids some cookies while making sure that she came in terms with them about keeping it a secret to their guardian. Again, it was weird how even without hanging out with Jihyo, she still enjoyed her day with the seven devils.

 

When Jihyo arrived, she was greeted by a rare peaceful view of peaceful kids. Jeongyeon the television and played a cartoon movie for the kids. The sight was heart-warming. Jeongyeon's back was facing her along with the backs of the children. Momo was standing behind the blonde with her arms looped around her neck. Tzuyu was sitting in the middle of her crossed legs with Chaeyoung on the left while Dahyun was on the right. Sana was focused on the screen as she hugged Jeongyeon’s right arm. Nayeon was sitting in front of the rest while Mina was sitting on the blonde’s left with a good distance. When she cleared and called for their attention, the room was filled with Mama Jihyo in the air as they rushed to her. Everyone clutched on her thighs some even jumped her midsection. Jihyo laughed as she patted each of their heads because she deduced that they behaved while she was gone. It was like the seven missed her so much like they hadn’t seen each other for years.

 

The doe-eyed girl asked for them to go back to their screening and then approached her trustworthy new partner with the kids. Jeongyeon smiled when she approached her. “I think, by this,” the blonde gestured to the seven, “I deserve at least your contact number.” Jihyo chuckled and shook her head lightly. She offered her phone in exchange for hers and began to register each of their numbers. “I can’t get to know you more today so be sure to reply on my texts later,” Jeongyeon stated before she stood from her spot.

 

“I have to go because if my sister finds out that I faked it again today then I might as well fake my own death too and leave the country,” she said as she straightened out her clothes. “That bad?” Jihyo laughed at her. The two were already walking to door – leaving the kids on their own little bubble. “I’ll see you,” Jeongyeon said and then braved to hold her hand for a brief moment, because at some point one just had to make progress with the specific girl. Jihyo smiled – not minding Jeongyeon’s brave action, “See you.”

 

-------

 

Texting, Jeongyeon never paid much attention to it until she had exchanged numbers with Jihyo. It worked like magic for her. She texted her for the following days and by Saturday she visited her and the seven kids. She vouched the next two weeks to her second sister through bribing her of two-week supply of snack and was able to switch schedule with her. She learned a lot about Jihyo. The girl was mainly busy around the university because she was currently working on a group work, except for the fact that her groupmates were always missing in action, so she had to run around all over the places for the project to make progress.

 

In the first half of her vouched weeks, Jeongyeon learned that the place was kind of kindergarten because it really wasn’t. It was just that Jihyo grew accustomed with babysitting until she didn’t realise that she had already took in seven kids in her care – all starting from Nayeon. The place wasn’t a kindergarten and more of a place owned by his grandfather who was currently recovering from his bad health. She also learned that Jihyo was from the education department and planned to teach young kids in school in the future. The girl really just loves kids and was inspired by them to have that goal in life. The blonde thought that it was cute and just natural to the girl since her caring side was always visible and present from her. They spent the next days doing that – texting her on her free time, getting to know her, and annoying her about her promised date. There were days that Jihyo was the one who initiated their mobile conversation – sometimes sending out pictures of the kids – and Jeongyeon wasn’t complaining.

 

Thursday of the last week, Joengyeon’s phone beeped on her side. She smiled as she read her name on the screen. Jihyo had sent her a picture of one of Chaeyoung’s doodles. The blonde worked her thumbs and replied.

 

Jeongyeon: That’s really cute but you still owe me a date, Park Jihyo.

Jihyo: Right, so Saturday, same day and same time?

No! It’s not a date! The last three weeks weren’t dates, not around with those seven devils.

Hey! Don’t talk to them like that. They are precious human beings that could do no wrong in this world.

Are you sure? Because last Saturday Nayeon hid Momo’s stuffed toy until she cried. By afternoon, Momo hid Nayeon’s and even poisoned Chaeyoung to join her. So what’s the truth, Jihyossi?

Still!

 

Jeongyeon laughed as she stared at an angry and a pouting emoji. She worked her thumbs again and tried her best to get her date from the girl.

 

So the date, Jihyo? You should start paying me like an employee from the times I spent there if you still wouldn’t fulfill my wish.

Okay since I think you deserve it.

 

The blonde was about to suggest a place, but like from the first time, Jihyo had beat her to it.

 

Park, 1 pm sharp or kiss your date goodbye.

I’d rather kiss you.

 

Oh, Jeongyeon almost forgot but with the intimacy made happened by texting, she or maybe the two of them were already in the territory of mild flirting. In fact, the blonde was really enjoying her time with Jihyo and she really hoped that this experimental date will lead into something more serious than a partner in seven kids. She heard a knock on her door – interrupting her train of thoughts. It was her eldest sister. “Dinner, Jeongyeon,” she told the youngest Yoo. Jeongyeon nodded and smiled to her sister before she faced her phone screen again. “Got to go, dinner. See you on Saturday,” she mouthed as she tapped the letters on her keyboard.

 

-------

 

Do days normally past quickly when one is excited for a certain date? The tall blonde had been wondering about that ever since she received the invitation from Jihyo. She walked or maybe skipped her way to the entrance of the park. It was perfect for date because it was quite spacious and had a lot of features suitable for couples who wanted to spend some time with their significant others. The right half of the park offered a more adventurous feature with its mini maze while the left half of it offered a more subtle and quiet feature with its flower garden. Both half had playgrounds aimed for the kids who visited the park. The location of the place was great too because it was near some food stalls and establishments. Jeongyeon thought that she could bring Jihyo in some after they finished their time together in the park.

 

When she looked ahead of her, she saw the girl of her interest wearing a white long-sleeved blouse, a pair of denim jeans, and a white pair of shoes. Nothing too flashy and just suited for the cloudy yet bright weather of Saturday. Jihyo approached her – all smiley as usual. “Just in time,” the doe-eyed girl greeted as she checked out on Jeongyeon. The tall blonde was wearing a blue basketball shirt under a camouflage jacket, black ripped jeans, and her black Vans. The girl was also wearing a white cap and a pair of circular glasses.

 

“I think it’d gone chaos if you arrived later than what I planned,” Jihyo exhaled a sigh of relief, making the other girl to squint her eyes at her. There, at the corner of the blonde’s eyes, seven devils were busy on studying the map of the park. “You brought them?” Jeongyeon blinked her eyes to her, quite in disbelief. “Well, I couldn’t not bring them,” she replied firmly to the blonde. She took the hand of the older one and looked behind her, “Plus, I think Dahyun’s out of the weather.” The tall girl moved her head to the side and saw Dahyun just standing behind the other six kids – completely unfazed that she was out and in the park for her Saturday.

 

Jeongyeon sighed, “Okay, it’s fine,” she waved her free hand in the air and dismissed her slight disappointment. “It’s Jeongyeon!” she heard Sana exclaimed and followed by Momo rushing to her direction. Her heart kind of sunk because if Dahyun was feeling good, then she would be also rushing to her. Momo clung on to her right leg like a tarsier. Jihyo called the others' attention. “Jeongyeon-ah let’s split up and walk the kids around,” she suggested, “I think it’ll cause less chaos if these kids are split up. Too much excitement can lead into total disaster.”

 

The blonde hummed and nodded in understanding, “Okay, I’ll take Tzuyu, Mina, Chaeyoung, and the rest is yours,” she smiled with her offer. “What?” Jihyo was shocked, “Sana, Momo, Dahyun, and Nayeon are pretty much all of the work here,” she grimaced at Jeongyeon. “I’ll take Sana, Dahyun, and Tzuyu. Sana is a lot of work while Dahyun isn’t feeling well. I think it’s a reasonable distribution.” The blonde chuckled nervously before she closed her gap and leaned closer to her ear, “Are you sure about this? Nayeon doesn’t really like me,” she whispered as she looked at the said girl.

 

“Then, I think this is your chance to work your charm to her,” Jihyo whispered back. Jeongyeon was still hesitant so they spent more time discussing about the pros and cons of bringing Nayeon with her, but in the end, Jihyo won – leaving Jeongyeon with Nayeon for their walk in the park. The two groups split up with a plan to meet at the same place by three in the afternoon.

 

Jeongyeon and her group headed to the right half of the park. The kids quickly rushed to the playground when their eyes met them. Mina was already sitting on a swing while Chaeyoung was barely on it – still struggling and figuring out how she could climb over the seat. Due to her small and short frame, the cub failed her desire to sit properly on it, so she decided to just lay down on her stomach and started to swing with her full body in the air. Jeongyeon noticed the absurd position of the little girl and walked to her, “Chaeng, that’s not how you spend time with the swing.” She heard Mina laughed on her comment before she picked the tiger cub and sat her properly. She pushed the two alternately – hearing their laughter as the gust of wind blew the strands of their hair. When Jeongyeon roamed her eyes around the playground, she realised that Momo and Nayeon were no longer on the playhouse. She furrowed her brows and told the other two to behave while she checked the playground properly.

 

-------

 

“Nayeon unnie, where are you going?” Momo said as she ran to the bunny’s direction. “I’m going to enjoy my time, and that’s away from Jeongyeon,” Nayeon huffed as she closed the entrance of the maze. Right before she could enter it, Momo had took her hand to herself and pulled her gently. “Why do you even not like Jeongyeon?” the raccoon asked once the bunny had decided to look at her.

 

Nayeon roughly pulled her hand away from the girl – slightly irritated by her question. “Because she doesn’t like us,” she told the younger one with angered eyes. “How do you know that?” Momo asked worriedly. Nayeon shook her head sideways and sighed. It wasn’t really a surprise how the other girl couldn’t understand her. “She only likes Mama Jihyo,” the bunny began, “She doesn’t care about us and she’s only doing this to make Mama Jihyo like her too.” Momo couldn’t answer and just stared at her friend. When Momo didn’t argue or call her wrong, Nayeon turned her back and bravely entered the maze.

 

The raccoon shouted her friend’s name before she was led to no choice of following her. Momo kept her focus on her back as she quickened her pace until they were walking side by side. “You don’t have to follow me, you know,” Nayeon said as she felt her presence. The raccoon just shrugged her shoulders and smiled to her.

 

-------

 

Worry started to etch on her skin as she moved her feet around the surroundings of the playground and still no Momo or Nayeon to be found. She pinched the bridge of her nose, heaving with so much running and asking that she did. She glanced back at the swings and silently thanked heavens that the other two were still in there. The blonde grazed her thumb on her phone inside her pocket but she never pulled it out. She wanted to call Jihyo but she decided against it. She wanted to at least for the girl to enjoy her time too in the park.

 

There was only one place left that she hadn’t checked yet – the maze. Jeongyeon went back to the penguin and the cub’s place. Wanted to not waste any more of the precious time. “Hey,” she said before she breathed deeply and knelt down, “So I think Nayeon and Momo entered the maze,” she smiled worriedly at the two.

 

“I will go find them there,” she said as she looked intently at the two, “I want the two of you to behave here as I look for them, can you two do that for me?” She held each of their hands while convincing them. The two nodded synchronously which eased her heart for a moment. She lifted again Chaeyoung and asked Mina to move a little bit to her side so she could squeeze and sit the little cub beside her. “You two watch out for each other and don’t talk to strangers,” she told the two and patted their heads, “I will be back as soon as I can.”

 

-------

 

Nayeon led their way as Momo followed her footsteps from behind. They spent minutes going around circles inside the maze. “I think we’ve been here, Nayeon unnie,” Momo spoke her worries to the older one. The bunny shrugged it off and continued her wanders inside. As they spent their time and energy in the place, Nayeon also grew worried at their situation. The maze didn’t look that hard from afar, so why were they still stuck in the place? They worked their tired legs longer in attempt to find the end of the maze or the start of it – whatever worked that could get them out of there.

 

“Can we slow down?” Momo asked as she heaved closer to her. Nayeon looked behind and breathed raggedly at her, “Yeah,” she gasped in some oxygen for her lungs, “Sure, we can slow down for a bit.” The two didn’t stop. They slowed down but they never stopped. Momo knew and noticed that Nayeon was also getting desperate to leave the maze. They passed other people on the trail until they stumbled upon no one. They were left in the maze as they still tried to work their way out. The sun was slowly setting and Nayeon was growing more and more anxious as time ran. The bunny wasn’t having fun like she first expected.

 

When she turned a specific left and met again another dead end, she couldn’t take it any longer and she just fell on the ground with bent knees. She rested her arms on her knees and buried her eyes on it. She was tired, scared, and worried that she brought Momo along with her karma. Tears ran down on her face – thinking that their Mama Jihyo was too far from them and thinking that Jeongyeon will not spare some time to save them. “Nayeon unnie?” Momo called as she dragged her feet lazily closer to the bunny.

 

The raccoon heard the other girl softly sobbed on her clothed arm. “Are you crying?” she asked, slowly kneeling down to her level. “I’m sorry,” the bunny cried, “I think I got us lost,” she painfully confessed. “I’m really sorry, Momo,” Nayeon apologised as she lifted her tear-soaked face. Momo sat beside her, not caring how they continued to dirty their clothes, and rested her head on her shoulder, “It’s okay, Jeongyeon will come and find us.” “She doesn’t care, Momo,” Nayeon replied and then buried her eyes again in defeat.

 

More minutes passed and the girl continued to cry her eyes out. Momo thought that Nayeon was too tired to walk again so she didn’t even attempt to convince her to try again their luck to get out of the maze. She just listened to the girl’s sobs while sitting beside her. The big difference with the two was that the raccoon was betting on the possibility that Jeongyeon was in fact somewhere and trying to locate them, so she tried to stop her from crying as she waited for the blonde. She tried to ease her with words but it never worked.

 

Realising hugging wasn’t working on the sobbing girl, Momo stood up from their spot and walked closer to one of those damned partitions in the maze. There was something that she noticed weird about the bushy and leafy walls of it. She saw that there was a stray blooming flower in the right corner of it. She glanced back to Nayeon before she inched closer to it. The flower was out of her reach so she had to jump up and down to get it. She carefully aimed for its stem so she wouldn’t ruin any petals of the flower.

 

For the next jump, she managed to hold onto a good part and then she pulled it. A success, what Momo considered. She looked at the flower and smiled at it – thinking in her little kid brain that the flower was also smiling back to her. She walked back to Nayeon and knelt in front of her. She touched her hand and held it in her own. This caused the eight year old to look at her, “What is it?” she questioned cutely to her friend. “I found this flower blooming weirdly here,” the raccoon answered honestly, “I thought it will look good on you,” she smiled genuinely at her. “You’re really pretty, unnie,” Momo added as she tucked the flower beside her ear, “And I don’t like seeing you crying.”

 

Nayeon was still crying but nodded to ease the worried kid. Momo smiled while still holding her hand, “Don’t worry Jeongyeon will find us,” she said to her and as if on cue she heard something – they heard their names vibrating deftly in the air. She tapped the older girl exaggeratedly, “Did you hear that?” she asked her. Nayeon nodded and stood up, mimicking Momo who was busy seeking for the direction where their names were shouted. “Jeongyeon-ah!” the two shouted on the top of their lungs. They heard their names being shouted again – signalling that they were heard. More shouts, back and forth, lasted until Jeongyeon finally emerged from the path that the two kids last took. “Jeongyeon-ah!” Momo beamed and ran directly to her, letting out an audible oof when she collided at her tall frame.

 

The blonde walked towards the bunny with a raccoon still clinging around her thigh. She smiled softly to the girl with tears still marked on her cheeks. She gestured for the girl to come closer and to her surprise Nayeon ran to her and buried her face to her shirt. “I was scared that we will never be found,” the bunny mumbled to her. Jeongyeon could’ve reasoned out to her that what she just said was pretty much impossible especially when the maze wasn’t that big to begin with. It was just the fact that Jeongyeon also had a hard time in finding her own ways. She could tell and reassure it to Nayeon that there was a great impossibility of what she just said but once again she decided not to – not when the girl was warming up to her. “The flower looks really nice to you,” she commented the safest reply and patted her head.

 

Jeongyeon stood on the same spot until the two had finally calmed down. “To be honest, I also had a hard time finding you, guys,” she said as she fiddled with an ear. “So how are we going to do this now?” she wondered, roaming the limited area of the maze with the orbs of her eyes.

 

-------

 

“They sure are late,” Mina said softly as she glanced at her penguin wristwatch before eyeing the maze again. The six year old kid had been doing that ever since Jeongyeon told them to stay on the swing. When she glanced at Chaeyoung, she witnessed that the girl was already dozing off. It must’ve been the great afternoon weather and because the cub was used to naps at this hours of the day. “You can rest and sleep on my lap if you’re sleepy, Chaeng-Chaeng,” she smiled at her softly.

 

Chaeyoung snapped out from her sleepiness and widened her eyes, “I’m not sleepy,” she replied defiantly with reddening ears. Mina hummed and nodded, not really the type to do the convincing. To be fair, they were only casual to each other since Chaeyoung mostly hung out with Dahyun and since Mina rarely initiated to play with the other kids in the supposed kindergarten. “You’re definitely sleepy,” Mina commented as she observed the shorter kid beside her. The baby cub puffed her cheeks and clenched her hands, “I’m not,” she replied – blushing brighter than before. The penguin covered subtly and let out a small laugh. When the older one finally managed to divert her eyes away from her, she saw something from afar.

 

Momo who was moving in the air as she visibly pointed directions on their way. Few minutes of Chaeyoung and Mina watching in awe, the three walked and got out of the maze. “We did it,” the three screamed as Momo and Nayeon jumped besides Jeongyeon. The blonde initiated and sprinted towards the left ones – leaving the bunny and the raccoon three long strides away from her. Mina's eyes widened because Jeongyeon’s face were all sweaty and her two friends were heaving their lungs out. “Did you see that?” the tall beauty asked before pointing back to the maze – acting like she was a kid herself. Mina nodded, “We did,” she answered, feeling the same proudness that the three were feeling.

 

Jeongyeon held onto Nayeon's shoulders as she looked at her in the eyes, “That was a brilliant strategy of letting Momo on my shoulders and to point the directions for us,” she beamed to the eight year old. The raccoon tapped the bunny’s arm, “Hey, what are you going to say to her?” she urged. “Thank you for saving us back there, Jeongyeon,” Nayeon spoke or mumbled.

 

“And?” Momo asked knowingly.

 

“Sorry for ever doubting you of forgetting about us,” Nayeon shyly added before she averted her eyes away from her face. Jeongyeon smiled, proud and unbelieving of what she was hearing from the eldest. It was surreal that the girl who claimed that she doesn’t like the blonde was finally opening up for her. For Jeongyeon, it was like a maze with Nayeon. It took learning and figuring out before the kid warmed to her. “Okay,” she smiled to her, “Got it,” she added and then proceeded to playfully mess with her hair. Jeongyeon stood and took her phone out. 3:07 pm, time for them to meet Jihyo and others.

 

She felt a tug on the hem of her jacket and saw Mina gesturing at her to lower herself again. Obliging to her wishes, the penguin closed to one of her ears and whispered something. She nodded as she listened to her words and then walked to the very silent cub left on the swing. Jeongyeon knelt in front of her before she held onto the small kid's waist, “Someone may or may have not told me that you are feeling sleepy,” she confronted the well-behaved girl. She lifted her and pulled her to her chest. The blonde grunted when Momo surged forward on her back and laced her arms around her neck, “Carry me too, Jeongyeon!”

 

“Okay,” she groaned – quite out of breath caused by her action. She kept the small cub with her right hand while she supported the raccoon on her back with her left one. One of the greatest advantages of being an ambidextrous. “Put me down, Jeongyeon,” Chaeyoung pushed herself away from the tall girl, “I’m not a baby anymore!” she whined which once again Jeongyeon found it cutely. “All settled in?” she asked the kids, not minding the baby cub’s protests. Nayeon fiddled with her hands before she closed Jeongyeon and clung onto her right leg. “Settled,” the bunny replied as she watched Momo smiled at her. “This is so ridiculous,” the blonde argued – she may have said the f word if only she wasn’t surrounded by kids. “Mina hold on to my jacket,” she requested and the penguin followed through. The first step was heavy. Her whole body felt heavy with the additional weights on herself. She groaned as she traced back their way to the entrance of the park.

 

-------

 

Meanwhile, Jihyo, along with Sana, Dahyun, and Tzuyu, headed to the left half of the park – the open flower garden. A lot of young girls were in the vicinity; playing, picking, and smelling the flowers. Unlike Jeongyeon, Jihyo kept her eyes at the three all at once while weaving a flower crown for Tzuyu. Sana was busy hyping the playhouse while Dahyun – from the junior’s perspective – seemed to be just sitting on the upper part of the playhouse and just watching the other girl played.

 

Feeling uneasy, Jihyo stood from their spot and approached the others. Today, she expected that Dahyun will also be hyped about their visit to the park. Before she reached the two, she was interrupted by sounds of footsteps, crunching the grass beneath soles of shoes. “Tzuyu!” she called out, confused where the youngest was heading. She let out a big sigh before she followed the little girl to her sudden adventure – leaving the flower crown into its exile.

 

Sana slid down for the nth time – God knows how many times she had done it – but it seemed like Dahyun wouldn’t follow her at any given minute by now. Her friend was feeling blue and she had been trying to lift her spirit ever since they were grouped together. A lot of people had told her that she possessed a great amount of happy energy that could easily affect others. Her grandmother had told her that and her parents agreed to it. Something Sana was good at – draining the tiredness of her busy parents after their extensive works. As of now, though, the hamster couldn’t quite get it how her happy pills weren’t affecting the younger eagle.


The playhouse was colourful and adorned by lovely decorations that normal kids would find enticing. A lot of kids were also playing around their location. At least, those kids could entice Dahyun to play too as Sana thought. “Dahyunnie! Dahyunnie!” she called, a bit out of breath, as she climbed again the upper part of the playhouse. She had been trying to get the eagle’s attention. The white tofu was only sitting beside the slide of the playhouse and just letting Sana passed her every time she went down on it. The hamster hugged her legs and let herself slid smoothly. No reaction, again. Sana sighed before she looked up the sitting girl, “What’s wrong?” she asked worriedly at her.

 

Dahyun stared down on her hands before she answered, “I don’t think my parents love me anymore.”

 

“They’re not going to be in my piano recital again for next Saturday,” she added weakly, “They’ve been doing it twice. Excuses about work or something.” Sana's heart broke, remembering how sad Dahyun was after her first piano recital. The girl was utterly broken by the busy schedules of her parents. It took days for their Mama Jihyo to lift her spirit again to normal. Sana felt sorry, but instead of frowning at her, she walked down to her feet until she could look into her eyes and curled her lips into a smile. “That’s not true,” she held the girl’s clenched hands, “They’re just busy with work, and you know that.” Sana tried to reassure the sullen girl. “I know,” Dahyun muttered in defeat, “I hate their works.”

 

Sana let go of her hands and moved to the edge of the slide. She began to hold tightly on the side rims and crawled upward. “It’ll be okay,” she said while trying her best to climb up, “I’ll tell Mama Jihyo and she’ll definitely make it possible that you will not perform alone in your next recital,” she groaned as she moved slowly upwards. “So,” she added – sweat breaking though her skin from the active movements she had been doing, “I don’t want to see our Dahyunnie frowning and worried about anything,” she grinned at her. Dahyun sent her an incredulous look – both surprised and smitten by Sana’s natural kindness. “I don’t want to see y–“

 

Sana’s right knee slid on the surface, causing her to cut off her words. She tried to reposition her knee but it made it worse and made her to lose her balance completely. But before the girl could slide down on her stomach, Dahyun had moved quickly and held on her hand with another hand holding the fence of the second floor for support. She shut her eyes and pulled Sana to her. The other girl smiled because she finally made a progress of stopping Dahyun from sulking in a corner. The eagle groaned and gritted her teeth as she pulled the taller girl to her. “Oof,” the two let out at the same time. Dahyun fell on her back, letting Sana to topple over her. “Thank you,” the hamster beamed down at her like their usual Saturday mornings.

 

Dahyun stared at her eyes, completely mesmerised by her beautiful brown eyes, “Thank you for making me feel better, Sana unnie.” “It’s natural,” Sana happily smiled and chuckled, “I don’t want to see you sad,” she replied and then hugged the eagle to herself. Sana will always be the most affectionate one and Dahyun isn’t the one complaining.

 

-------

 

“Tzuyu, where are you going?” Jihyo shouted as she followed the little girl into the woods. Tzuyu looked back at her guardian, “I found something white at the corner of my eye, Mama Jihyo,” she said with excitement in her eyes. When the little puppy slowly stalked her way deeper, she saw a white ball on the grass. She halted her steps and looked at it expectantly. It was a bunny. A white fluffy young bunny. “Mama Jihyo, it’s a bunny,” she told the taller girl excitedly.

 

Jihyo nodded and smiled, “It is, it is,” she caressed the hair of the girl. “You know, this is my first time seeing a bunny here in the park,” she told the little puppy. “Why?” Tzuyu mused. They watched the bunny leapt from one spot to another. “They’re usually very aware of their surroundings and their flight system is strong too,” she informed.

 

“Flight system?” Tzuyu furrowed her brows as she fathomed about the term. Jihyo chuckled, “It means they always tend to feel endangered and most likely to flee from any given situation.” The youngest one slowly moved away from her guardian and inched closer to the said bunny. “I’m just going to see if the bunny will be threatened of me,” she whispered to her. Jihyo smiled and let the girl to explore new experiences. Tzuyu approached the bunny, completely watchful of its every action.

 

She fell onto her knees slowly and she stopped from moving when the bunny turned around and looked at her with its brown round eyes. She turned around, looked at her Mama Jihyo, and met her with encouraging gummy smiles and thumbs up. Tzuyu slowly and gently reached for its fluffy coat and began to it. The girl smiled, seeing that the bunny didn’t mind her touches. She pulled a certain tall grass and inched it closer to its mouth. Her smile widened when the bunny munched the grass cutely. She sat completely in front of the bunny, and with fluttering heart, she gently lifted it and placed it on her lap.

 

The girl felt happy how the bunny didn’t saw her as a threat. She held the bunny, feeding her grass, and then caressed it gently. When Jihyo felt that it was safe, she walked and sat next to her. She also gently the bunny and then smiled proudly to Tzuyu. They spent a few more minutes or maybe some time playing with the bunny solely because Tzuyu insisted to.

 

When Jihyo finally convinced Tzuyu to go back to Dahyun and Sana, she knelt down on her level and told her something, “We can’t bring him back with us.” The puppy worked on her eyes and replied, “Why? We can keep him in the kindergarten.” Tzuyu was a well-known animal lover. She enjoyed watching animal clips on Jihyo's phone when she had the time to borrow it. The only problem was her parents. Ever since they moved to Korea, her parents forbade her for another pet except for her dog, Gucci, which was left with her brother’s care in Taiwan. “You can’t just bring him with us because what if his parents look for him?” Jihyo worriedly answer, “They will be sad if they couldn’t find one of their kids in the woods.”

 

“But,” Tzuyu tried. “See how I was worried to you when you suddenly ran in here,” Jihyo added and gestured to the place, “And his parents will be, too, if he suddenly went missing.” The puppy let out a defeated sigh and placed the bunny down with teary eyes. She watched the bunny leapt away and until it was gone behind some bushes. She faced her guardian and buried her face to her blouse.

 

“Okay, okay,” the college student cooed to the little girl before she lifted her up from the ground, “You’re okay.” Tzuyu buried her eyes on her shoulder and heard the little one let out soft sobs. She couldn’t blame her right when she knew how the puppy misses Gucci. She hugged the girl and patted her back as she let her to cry out her tears.

 

-------

 

Jihyo and her group arrived first in their 3 pm meet up place. Tzuyu was in her arms who seemed to have fallen asleep while Sana and Dahyun was holding the hem of her blouse. She made sure that the two had been holding on it because they were known and very used to losing focus quickly. She was just scared that something or someone could distract the two and made them to stray away on their way back to the entrance of the park. Sana also informed her about the upcoming piano recital of the eagle. Dahyun was absolutely fidgety by the time the hamster laid out the details of her upcoming event. Jihyo just smiled to her and reassured her that by next Saturday all of them will watch and support her while performing. When they saw Jeongyeon and her group, she was all sweaty and three kids were clinging onto her. Jihyo couldn’t help it but to laugh at the blonde’s state. Life looked drained on her facial expression.

 

Chaeyoung was sleeping soundly on her chest while Nayeon and Momo waved to their direction. Mina, as usual, walked quietly beside the tall girl. “How can this beautiful date turned into a torture?” Jeongyeon asked dramatically when she faced Jihyo. The other girl scoffed back, “Okay,” she said before rolling her eyes, “What do you want?”

 

“I want an ice cream,” Jeongyeon grinned to her, “Let’s drop by to an ice cream parlour before we head back.” This caused the kids especially Sana and Momo – who just let go of the tall beauty – to jump up and down when they heard the intoxicating word ice cream. Jihyo knitted her brows together and groaned, “You monster, you think this through, aren’t you?” she asked to the still grinning blonde. Jeongyeon laughed as they walked away from park. Sana and Momo chanted the word in the air until Nayeon and Dahyun joined them, waking up the two sleeping girls on their arms. Sana was an utter success with making the eagle feel better. The three excitedly skipped behind Jeongyeon and sometimes circling around her. “What’s is going on?” Chaeyoung asked as she cutely rubbed the sleep off of her eyes.

 

“We’re getting ice cream,” Jihyo smilingly replied to the kid. When she realised her current position, she resumed her attempt to push Jeongyeon away from her. “Okay, feisty cub,” the blonde sighed as she brought the baby cub to the ground. “But you were indeed very much sleepy,” she teased the little one, earning her a scoff. Tzuyu followed through waking up but she felt too comfortable in her Mama Jihyo’s arm for a walk. She was still very much of a baby.


The nine of them arrived – albeit a little too loud and excited. Jihyo didn’t waste any time and directed herself to order what Jeongyeon and the kids wanted. She looked happy seeing that Dahyun was already smiling with them and that Tzuyu had finally ceased her crying. The kids stuffed their mouths with delectable sweetness of the flavoured ice cream while Jihyo and Jeongyeon kept on wiping their messy stained cheeks. She just hoped that later, when the blonde bid them goodbye, the seven will be sobered up with the coated sweetness in their system. Jihyo, as their Saturday mother figure, knew well the full potential of sugar to kids and even now she could observe that it was already working on Sana.

 

The hamster couldn’t sit on her own chair properly. She was already acting to the sugar – already hyped and fuelled by the sweetness of each scoop of her ice cream. When she repositioned herself again, she made a grave mistake and accidentally hit her ice cream off of the table, falling down to floor of the shop. She gasped in horror, tears slowly filled the side of her eyes, and was about to burst. Jeongyeon cursed under her breath because she knew these kinds of accidents hit directly straight to kids’ hearts. These kinds of accidents could make kids to cry in seconds. Jeongyeon moved closer to Sana and was about to offer her own ice cream to her, but Dahyun did a faster action and slide her own bowl to Sana’s direction, “We can share mine, Sana unnie,” she smiled to the girl and offered her spoon. Jihyo breathed a sigh of relief when the hamster took the offer.

 

They ate their ice creams, and by the end of it, Jeongyeon had to offer her own to the sharing duo because clearly she suggested the place for the kids. She may not be admitting it, but the kids had planted soft spots in her heart. Their smiles were contagious and she’d been hanging out a lot with them, so no one could actually have the audacity to call her out if she was suddenly turning soft for the seven. They, this time all of them, walked back to the supposed kindergarten and dropped off the kids. Some were spent for today and some were still having a sugar rush.

 

“Thank you for today,” Jihyo said as she let the seven kids to get inside the place. Jeongyeon smiled back and replied, “No prob.” “I really like it when you offered your own ice cream to Dahyun and Sana,” the shorter girl added, “And speaking of Dahyun, she has an upcoming recital next Saturday and all of us are going.” Jeongyeon hummed, indicating that she was intently listening to her words. Jihyo tucked her hands to her jean pockets, “I mean all of the kids, already telling you this so I wouldn’t look like I’d tricked you by Saturday,” she chuckled and looked to her eyes. “So what are you insinuating, Miss Park Jihyo?” the blonde grinned knowingly, waiting for the anticipated invitation from the girl. “I know you’re busy at your family bakery,” Jihyo began, “But would you like to come with us to Dahyun’s recital?”

 

Jeongyeon laughed and nodded her head, “Sure, because I think that will be closest thing to an actual date with you,” she joked before she winked and walked backwards. “I’ll see you next Saturday?” the tall girl asked. Jihyo sent her signature gummy smile and nodded back to her, “See you on Saturday, Yoo Jeongyeon.”

 

-------

 

Jeongyeon anxiously looked to the door on the left side of the theatre. Today, she was attending Dahyun’s piano recital just how she agreed to the guardian’s invitation. She actually ditched the bakery for this day to happen. The blonde took a deep breath. It has been almost half an hour since Jihyo separated with Jeongyeon when she told them that she will only walk the little pianist to the back stage. She was sitting with a vacant seat on her left as her thighs grew numb because of the weights it was enduring. Tzuyu and Chaeyoung were on her lap since the two couldn’t quite see the performances behind the older audiences.

 

Jihyo was supposed to take Tzuyu on her lap, but sadly, the first and the second were done performing and she still wasn’t there. Dahyun was the fourth performer and the third performer were almost done to her piece. The tune of her play slowed down and the room echoed with the sound of clapping hands. The eagle’s name started to be announced and the blonde felt her anxiousness doubled.

 

“Excuse me, excuse me, coming through,” she heard a familiar voice approached their row. It was Jihyo, looking worried directly to her eyes. Jeongyeon followed her every movement until she was seated on her side. The guardian took Tzuyu and sat her on her own lap, “Sorry, Dahyun’s really nervous. She asked me to stay for a little longer with her,” she said while looking all apologetic to the blonde and the other six kids. “Stage fright?” Jeongyeon asked as she watched her to calm her breathing. The girl must’ve hurried back to them. “Definitely,” the girl answered and then sighed, “Plus the pressure that she will not make her parents proud even without their actual presence in here.”

 

The taller girl nodded, now seeing and understanding Dahyun’s feelings. The crowd welcomed Dahyun with an applause when she walked on the stage. Jeongyeon could sense how the kid was nervous. The eagle walked with her head held low until she was seated in front of the grand piano. Her fingers visibly shook and she looked a lot tinier than usual. Seconds passed and the room was only basked by silence.

 

Dahyun had her fingers on the keys, but in contrast, she still wasn’t playing it. “This is bad,” Jeongyeon commented quietly on Jihyo’s ear, “She’s too nervous.” The people around them started to whisper and murmur to each other – quite growing impatient to the performance of the subjected girl. Jihyo tapped her fingers on her right knee and growing much more anxious compared to what the blonde was feeling earlier.

 

“DAHYUN-AH! CALM DOWN, YOU CAN DO IT!”

 

Jihyo and Jeongyeon’s eyes widened to their right side. Minatozaki Sana had screamed those words on the top of her lungs inside a classical theatre where silence was highly appreciated. Momo and Nayeon snickered to their seats before Jeongyeon held the girl by her shoulders and tried to calm her down. “Sana, you can’t shout that in here,” the blonde reminded the girl in an almost shouting whisper.

 

When Dahyun heard the loud ruckus of a familiar voice, she automatically turned her head and looked for her. There, she saw Sana standing and heaving in between the sea of people. Jeongyeon held her by the shoulders and tried to sit her back on the soft cushion of her seat. Her Mama Jihyo was equally surprised as the blonde. Beside her Mama Jihyo, her Nayeon unnie and Momo unnie were busy with suppressing their laughter. Chaeyoung was covering her ears from the shout while Tzuyu looked at the hyped hamster with amusement in her eyes. On the far right of Jeongyeon, she saw her Mina unnie looking at her with gentle support.

 

She smiled, took a deep breath, and faced the ominous piano again. Dahyun closed her eyes and began to remember what she had practiced for days by heart – At the Cradle op. 68 no. 5. She felt at ease and brave. When she started to play the tune, she forgot all about her worries and doubts to herself. Today, Kim Dahyun wasn’t afraid to make mistakes or of the crowd because even if she knew that her parents weren’t present, her Sana unnie kept her words that their Mama Jihyo will make sure that everyone will be present on her recital. Yes, even Jeongyeon. She played, not for them but for the people she loves – for them and for Sana. She smiled, knowing that she wasn’t alone inside the big theatre full of adults.

 

-------

 

When Dahyun finished her performance and even it wasn’t tolerated, she left the backstage and watched the rest of the performers with her Mama Jihyo, Jeongyeon, and the other six. She shared Sana’s seat until the places were announced. Dahyun wasn’t one of them but she still felt happy for today and she wouldn’t have it in any other way. The other kids were so proud of her when they stayed to take pictures together in the hallway. On their way back to the supposed kindergarten, her Mama Jihyo bought her some flowers to congratulate her. Jeongyeon had her own surprise to her – a smuggled box of cupcakes from their bakery.

 

The seven kids happily ate her brought present. They laughed and talked about the events of their Saturday. Nayeon and Momo even re-enacted what Sana did inside the theatre. “Can you sing while I play the piano again, Mama Jihyo?” she interrupted their little chill time. Jeongyeon raised her brows upon hearing the eagle. Jihyo couldn’t contain her smiled and nodded to the girl. They began to walk to the left hallway of the place. The blonde followed the others blindly because she had never explored that part of the supposed kindergarten.

 

“There’s a piano here owned by Grandpa JYP,” Tzuyu informed the tall blonde and held onto her hand, aware of her questioning eyes, “And it has been so long since the last time Mama Jihyo had sung to us.” Jeongyeon nodded her head slowly. She didn’t know why but her heart was beating fast as they neared the door. The kids rushed inside, taking their seats on the floor around the wooden piano. Dahyun took her seat while Jihyo took a deep breath and readied herself.

 

Jeongyeon stood near the door as she anticipated the girl to sing. The keys started to play and not long after, Jihyo started singing. The blonde blinked her eyes when she felt her skin tingled and heat grew from her neck up to her ears. Her eyes were blessed by Jihyo’s ethereal beauty as she mouthed the lyrics of the song; her ears absorbed every melody that she sang; and her heart – oh, her poor heart – was melting like an ice cream in warm love of kids. Her breathing hitched because she was reminded how she felt for her. It was like she was triggered and reminded of her own feelings for Park Jihyo. She had been liking Jihyo in a very romantic way for quite some time now even with the kids all around them and even without her proper date. She spared a quick glance to the little ones. They sat quietly and smiled lovingly to their Mama Jihyo. Same, kids. Same, Jeongyeon thought to herself before she brought her gaze back to the singing girl.

 

The song ended and Jeongyeon was way too under her spell to realise it. She just dumbly stared at the girl as she walked closer to her. “Earth to Jeongyeon,” Jihyo said while laughing to the frozen blonde. Finally, she snapped out of it. She blinked her eyes and shook her head lightly to clear it. She swallowed before she stuttered her next words, “C-Can I talk to you for a minute?” She glanced again at the now curious kids, “Alone,” she added. Jihyo hummed, “Okay,” she replied before she gestured to the kids to stay behind. They walked back to the main room and faced each other. “What’s up, Jeongyeon?” Jihyo asked her innocently.

 

“I really like you, Jihyo,” Jeongyeon blurted out without a second thought. It was like her feelings were bursting to be expressed. “I mean in a romantic way, I really do,” she repeated almost sounding desperate.

 

“I’m dumb and get distracted quickly so I forget about it for a moment, but when you sang although not just to me. Note, I’d prefer if you do,” she chuckled nervously, “God, I’m mumbling.” She breathed and calmed herself, “But when you sang,” she stated again the disrupted confession, “I was reminded of those feelings. It struck to me, and when I realised it, I was paralysed.”

 

She sighed because she wasn’t too sure of herself if she was making any sense, “I like you because you’re caring, sweet, funny, and I think I’ve fallen for you,” she whispered the last phrase. “And I would like to deepen our relationship,” she coughed nervously – right hand flying to the back of her head, “I mean, if you allow it, I would like to deepen our relationship and have a better connection.” She smiled awkwardly as she waited for her answer.

 

Jihyo hummed and smiled to her which confused the tall girl. “I understand,” she replied honestly to her. Jeongyeon – with furrowed brows – asked, “I’m confused, is that a yes or no?” “I understand,” the guardian repeated. The blonde was growing anxious again because Jihyo was an absolute enigma at the moment, “A date then?” she shot up her luck. “I can’t,” the doe-eyed girl simply answered, “I have to take care of the kids.”

 

The blonde lightly groaned, “Don’t you think maybe I deserve an actual date from you?” She didn’t mean it but she sounded pissed or maybe a little angry from that interrogation. “I just can’t,” Jihyo answered bluntly – breaking the heart of the other. “Can’t what?” Jeongyeon blurted out with left hand clenched beside her, “Can’t go on a date with me or can’t reciprocate my feelings?” she asked directly to her. Jihyo leaned back to the wooden drawer and sighed, “Who knows.” That hit a nerve to the tall beauty. She scoffed and bit her lower lip, “Okay, fine,” she let out before she bolted out of the place.

 

-------

 

Days had passed, Jeongyeon hadn’t texted Jihyo and Jihyo hadn’t texted her. They hadn’t seen each other too because it was once in a blue moon to see the actual living Jihyo in the university, and besides, the blonde didn’t actually know what to do or say if she ever faced the girl. They haven’t had another interaction since last Saturday. They acted like kids especially Jeongyeon with the decision of resolving it through bolting out of the place.

 

To be honest, she partly wanted to see her again and apologise, and another part of her wanted Jihyo to own up with her words. She wasn’t being clear that day and it felt like the girl was toying with her feelings, but deep inside her, she knew Jihyo would never do or attempt the idea. She groaned to her pillow. Nights had begun to feel like total loser ever since they stopped texting. She had been thinking of her and it felt really quiet without her digital presence on her phone.

 

She tossed her blanket off of herself and grabbed her phone. Time to swallow her pride and contact the girl first. Bright screen lit the darkness to her room. It was a bit late but she was only about to text her. She didn’t mind if Jihyo was already asleep and could only read her message by tomorrow. What she hoped for was for the girl to reply back to her text and not just read it. She scrolled down to her inbox, because from the long days of lack of communication, it was already pushed down by newer messages. Right before she could tap their conversation, her phone rang and startled her. To her surprise, it was Park Jihyo on the line. She swiped the green button and answered her.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” she greeted nonchalantly. Jeongyeon only heard dead silence like only series of breathing and it was low-key creeping her. “Can you take care of the kids for this coming Saturday?” Jihyo husked on the line. The blonde furrowed her brows in disappointment. She couldn’t believe that Jihyo was asking again for her help about the seven kids. She was never up for the responsibility of taking care of them. It was simply the side effect of her experimental persuasion to the girl. She was about to say no to her – ego swelling again – because she didn’t want to tire herself again with those kids. She would just rather help the bakery for this weekend. “Please,” Jihyo talked again on the phone, “I’m still bedridden and sick. I don’t think I will be up and running after two days.”

 

Oh, so that’s why. Jeongyeon frowned, because they stopped texting each other, she didn’t know that the girl was sick for the past days. “Okay,” she sighed, “I’ll be there.” Dead silence ran back and forth on the line. Jihyo hadn’t ended the call nor Jeongyeon.

 

“Thank you and I’m sorry about last Saturday, I hope you’ll understand me,” she heard her muttered those words before ending the call. She sighed again, locked her phone, and tried to sleep.

 

-------

 

For this Saturday, Jeongyeon came clean to her sister, Sungyeon, because she was already getting on her nerve. She let the youngest to take another day off solely because it will be her last time. Yesterday, Jihyo’s youngest sister dropped off the key to the supposed kindergarten at the bakery. Her second sister had delivered it to her by the night.

 

By eight in the morning, the kids slowly filled the quiet room. Nayeon was left first followed by Dahyun, Sana, Tzuyu, Momo, Chaeyoung, and then Mina. She had never been so early in the place so it was her first time to see the kids to be left by their parents. Their usual and natural beaming smiles were nowhere to be found, and she felt quite unfitting for her role for today. Honestly, she wished that Jihyo could be here with her along with the kids.

 

It was weird for Joengyeon that today went easy –maybe too easy for her liking. The kids played on their own. They didn’t run around the place like they used to and the banters between them were non-existent. She had never ever imagined for her alone time with the kids to be like this so she didn’t know how to react to them. Was she failing the role or were the kids just actually behaving themselves?

 

During lunch, she forgot about how Chaeyoung hated the beans with passion. She was sure that she managed to put some on her plate, but when she picked it up from the table, it was clean. Chaeyoung had eaten everything on her plate. It was weird but she shrugged it off because beans are healthy food. After lunch, she let the kids to rest and digest their food. Shortly in her task, a certain baby tiger tugged on her apron. She looked down on her with a smile, “What is it, Chaeng?” The kid didn’t answer and just clung onto her. Once again, she shrugged it off, not minding the extra company while washing the dishes. “I think Mina unnie is mad at me,” Chaeyoung said from her side.

 

Jeongyeon’s hands stopped and looked at her again, “Are you sure? What happened?” she asked worriedly. “Last Saturday when everybody left the music room, Mina unnie stayed behind,” the troubled cub began to explain, “And I noticed so I went back and saw her dancing like a swan in the room.” She felt her hold tightened. “I think she didn’t want anyone to see her dancing and after that she had been avoiding me,” Chaeyoung was on the edge of crying as she explained to the older one. Jeongyeon hummed, “Okay, I have a plan but not until I finish these,” she gestured to the plates.

 

When she finished cleaning the dishes, she knelt down to Chaeyoung. She wasn’t really fond of looking down to the kids. “So here’s what we’re going to do,” the blonde told the little cub. “I’m going to give you two some private time and you’ll simply apologise to her,” she smiled to the pouting girl, “And also act cool about it like you didn’t mean to see her dancing if she wanted some privacy for it.” She nodded to her perfect and simple plan. “Okay,” Chaeyoung replied, “I can do that.”

 

Jeongyeon put the plan in action and asked the quiet girl to meet her in the music room. Mina obliged and later on was joined by Chaeyoung instead of the blonde. The part-time guardian was just outside the doorway just in case something bad between them breakthrough but she doubted it, guaranteed with the calm and chill personalities of the two. She nodded to Chaeyoung as she walked inside the room.

 

When Chaeyoung saw Mina, she burst into tears with outstretched arms in the air while running towards the penguin. She enclosed the taller girl with a hug, “I’m sorry, I didn’t intend to see you while dancing,” she apologised while crying. “Baby cub, no,” Jeongyeon facepalmed herself as she joined the two in the room. “Act cool, remember?” she approached the cub and penguin, and then knelt down to their level. The cub didn’t hear her, and continued to just cry and repeat her apologies to the penguin. “I forgive her,” Mina replied to Jeongyeon before she enveloped the younger one into her own hug. The blonde shook her head and sighed in defeat. At least it worked, she thought as she watched the two.

 

The tall girl gasped when she realised something. The penguin on Chaeyoung's doodle was none other than Myoui Mina. She smiled softly to the cub and then patted her hair, “No wonder you were so sad about it,” she softly said to her. Chaeyoung later on stopped from crying and Jeongyeon wiped her face with her thumbs while Mina watched in silence. “I wasn’t mad at you or anything,” the penguin talked quietly.

 

“But you were avoiding me last Saturday and earlier,” the cub answered with puffed cheeks. “I’m sorry if you thought it like that,” the quiet girl let a small smile, “I was just shy about what you saw.” Chaeyoung grabbed her hands and looked at her with her rounded eyes, “Well, you shouldn’t! You really looked beautiful while dancing!” she replied enthusiastically. Mina blushed and lowered her head, “Thank you.” Jeongyeon smiled because at least their problem was solved.

 

Later of the Saturday, since the kids were only behaving and quietly playing inside, Jeongyeon decided to let them play in the yard – to get some fresh air and play energetically. She scratched the back of her head because the kids just sat on the grass and mumbled words at each other. Some looked bored even when the weather was perfect for playing. Today was really weird. She expected for them to run wild, do some breaking inside the house, or maybe set it on fire, but nothing. Nothing she expected feasible happened. Kids just sat on the grass and really behaved themselves. She clicked her tongue and bit her lower lip because what was going on with them?

 

-------

 

Jeongyeon tried to hype them. She tried to offer and teach some new games to them but instead they picked the television over her. When Dahyun asked for her milk, she insisted that she was the one who was going to fill it with chocolate, so Jeongyeon let her. She placed the milk carton on the small table and sat on the floor. Truthfully, she had hard time with opening the chocolate packet so she tried to pry it with greater force. It opened, a little bit messy. She ripped the packet and out came the chocolate powder. Dusting the air and clinging to the fabric of her shirt. Dahyun approached the tall blonde with chocolate all over herself.

 

Normally, someone might’ve burst into laughter to the eagle’s accident… or so Jeongyeon thought. The kids spared her some glances but no one laughed at her. It was starting to crawl up to her skin that maybe the kids were under the weather. “Jeongyeon, I’m sorry,” Dahyun apologised as the blonde wiped away the remnants of powder from her cheeks. “It’s okay,” the other replied.

 

“I didn’t mean to,” Dahyun was already tearing up when she added her next words, “Please, don’t get tired of us.” This caught up the attention of the senior student – along with the six other kids. “Okay,” Jeongyeon stopped cleaning up the girl, “What is going on with all of you?” she asked while travelling her eyes to the girls. Dahyun had started sobbing so she wiped her tears instead. The girls, as if planned, lowered their heads to her question. She lifted Dahyun to her chest and walked closer to the bunch. “Explain,” she demanded. “Mama Jihyo,” the eagle sobbed in between words, “Mama Jihyo’s tired of us so she’s not here today.”

 

Dahyun cried louder, making the other kids to tear up while the younger ones to burst into their own cries. One at the time, the kids started to sob and rub their forearms to their eyes. “What?” Jeongyeon asked while gesturing for the others to come closer to her. “It happened before to Grandpa JYP,” Nayeon told the blonde with bloodshot eyes. “Maybe we’re tiring Mama Jihyo, too,” Sana added – making Momo to cry even harder. No wonder the kids were so emotional for today.

 

So, it was about the mother. The kids were so out of character because of their sick mother. Jeongyeon sighed, now realising and understanding where the behaving cry-babies came from. She gathered the seven around her right before she spoke, “Look, kids,” she tried to get their attention, “That’s not true.”

 

“First, your Grandpa JYP must be just too old for the job of watching over seven kids,” she said, “And second, Jihyo’s absence today is not about all of you tiring her. It’s because she’s shouldering a group work for quite some time now.” She looked sorry for them as she patted the back of Tzuyu. “B-But what i-if we did?” Momo asked, stuttering because of her uncontrolled crying. “She’s been dealing with us alone ever since Grandpa JYP took a break from us,” Mina added while rubbing her clothed arm to her right eye. Jeongyeon shook her head and let out a small laugh, “Haven’t you guys noticed how your Mama Jihyo looks to the lot of you?” The kids replied with astonishment in their watery eyes. “She always has this bright gummy smile all over her face when she looks at all of you,” the blonde began to explain.

 

Looking at the raccoon and the hamster, “The way she looks worried when you two, Sana and Momo, do some ridiculous misunderstanding.” Then to Mina, Chaeyoung, and Tzuzyu, “The way she delicately treats the three of you with care.”

 

“The way she laughs at Nayeon and Dahyun when they are doing something crazy,” Jeongyeon smiled when the kids slowly ceased from crying, “She loves all of you so much and so dearly, and when you love someone you don’t get tired of them.” The blonde froze from her words. “Really?” the bunny asked while fidgeting the hem of her shirt. “Oh, ,” the tall girl blurted out without knowing. “?” Chaeyoung asked. She blinked a few times before she cupped the soft cheeks of the little girl, “No,” she firmly articulated, “Don’t and never say that word.” She removed her arms and covered her eyes then rubbed her face, “I just sounded like a hypocrite,” she groaned to the kids.

 

“You don’t get tired of someone you love,” Jeongyeon muttered sadly. “Something wrong, Jeongyeon?” Sana asked as she held on her right arm. The tall girl sighed, “I’ve been whining about this date because I’m selfish and I want some alone time with your Mama Jihyo. I think, even without admitting it, I’m jealous to the seven of you,” she didn’t know why but she was explaining herself to bunch of kids. She clicked her tongue before she buried her face to her palms in defeat, “I’m having this unconscious competition to all of you about who will Jihyo choose and prefer over for her Saturday.” The kids’ hands clutched onto her, giving her support to her internal storm. “It’s okay, Jeongyeon,” Momo said with worried eyes, “Don’t be sad.”

 

She groaned again because of her realisation to her stupidity, “Unlike me, she’s well aware of it. I feel so dumb right now,” she said and looked to the kids shyly. “Then you should just apologise to her the next time you saw her,” Chaeyoung offered and patted her shoulder. Jeongyeon laughed because the kid just advised her own advice. She nodded and then enveloped the kids into a big hug. Some groaned but all of them smiled upon receiving the unusual affection. “Why don’t we try baking for this afternoon instead?” the tall blonde offered to the kids and with a wide smile plastered on her face.

 

-------

 

Thank God that the supposed kindergarten’s refrigerator was stocked by ingredients for making a simple bread. She should be not taking the initiative of urging the kids to bake because it will surely lead into a giant mess, and it did. After she reassured the kids, their spirits bounced back to their usual selves. Sana, once again, had declared a flour war to the other kids to the point that Jeongyeon had to mildly scold the kids about wasting food. She taught some of the kids to knead the dough they made. Surprisingly, Nayeon and Momo did a great job at it. They smiled when the blonde had praised them.

 

They used and poured Dahyun’s chocolate powder in order to make flavour to it. Chaeyoung put butter on top of the sized dough for baking. The little cub even commented that she felt like colouring the dough with the brush. When Jeongyeon put the tray inside the oven and set the timer and temperature right, the seven waited in front of it from a safe distant. Their smiles widened when the air started to smell good. It smelt like chocolate and butter. Jeongyeon snapped a picture of them gathered in front of the oven and sent it to Jihyo. The kids rushed to stand up when they heard the oven dinged.

 

Jeongyeon took the tray and specifically told the kids to wait until it was cool enough to eat it. As they waited, the blonde laid a mantle on the floor and set up a movie for them. When it cooled down, kids bounced up and down around her while walking to the mantle. They ate and watched the movie. Despite the earlier events of the kids, she felt proud how she managed to turn their feelings up. The atmosphere felt too quiet during their movie marathon so Jeongyeon looked around them.

 

The kids had fallen asleep – probably because of their little breakdown and their group crying. Jeongyeon slowly and cautiously moved, not wanting to wake up a sleeping eagle on her right side.  She took the leftover breads on their hands, took the tray, and brought it back to the short table. She assisted the dozing kids to lie down on the mantle. It was easy because there were absolutely no resistance from them. Jeongyeon took some blankets out and tucked them under just so they wouldn’t feel any cold while they slept.

 

The tall girl sighed, at least she could also rest because let’s face it, she was also tired from doing all the work around them for today. She sat down and leaned her back to the wall as she watched the kids to sleep soundly. Without knowing, Jeongyeon slowly started her pace and dozed off into her own dreamland.

 

-------

 

Jihyo fixed her fringe before she walked out of her door and then locked it. She left their house with sense of purpose. The girl just recovered from her fever this morning and she already wanted to check up on the kids. Her phone beeped, Yoo Jeongyeon had sent her a text message. She stopped on their doorway and let her eyes read the message.

 

Jeongyeon: I understand. Today, I understand what you meant about last Saturday. Chaeyoung told me to apologise to you when I get to see you but I couldn’t bear it any longer. Jihyo, I’m really sorry for blindingly making you to choose between me and the seven kids. Curse the damn date. I guess, I was really being selfish at the time and being impatient. Maybe I couldn’t wait any longer to deepen our relation and honestly I used to think that the kids were being nuisances to us. Used to, because they’d already grew on me. I really feel like I’m already in love with you… and with the kids. I just want you to know that and I’m not going to force you to give me another chance.

I don’t even have the right to pressure you on choosing between us. It’s all on you. I’m really sorry for acting without a proper thought last Saturday and thank you for letting me to figure all this out on my own.

 

Smile slowly curved on her face until she was sure that she was grinning dumbly under the beautiful weather and in an open area. She didn’t reply, because unlike the tall blonde, she preferred to say it to her directly and probably make the girl to blush – or freeze in her case. Jihyo excitedly travelled to the supposed kindergarten. She was sure that she was skipping on the sidewalk and not minding anyone who would glance or laugh at her because right now, she just wanted to see her kids and Jeongyeon.

 

She almost embarrassingly sprinted when she saw the colourful walls of the place from afar. Jihyo knew that she should be calming herself – not getting tensed or hyped – because she just recovered from her sickness. She slowly inserted her duplicate key to the slot and quietly opened the door in attempt to surpise them. What greeted her was something she didn’t expect for today. When she had inspected the place, she only saw the kids lying on their backs or their sides as they breathed peacefully under colourful blankets. As she turned her head, she saw Jeongyeon who was also peacefully sleeping with her back on the cold wall and her legs sprawled out on the floor. She smiled to her sight, “Must’ve been tiring for today,” she whispered.

 

Jeongyeon was covered in flour and in chocolate powder. On her right elbow, was a remnant of dried dish soap. She breathed quietly through , completely unaware of the real guardian’s presence. Jihyo excused herself and when she came back to the main room, she was holding a blue blanket. She smiled and knelt in front of tall girl. “Thank you, Jeongyeon,” she whispered while staring at her beautiful and calm expression, “For taking care of them,” she placed both of her hand to her side, “And for understanding me.” She smiled before she leaned her face closer to her, “Let me reciprocate your feelings,” she whispered, voice close to her lips, before she pressed her lips to hers. She kissed her for a few seconds. She wished that the blonde was awake so she could see the reaction of her face but she thought that they’ll have another chance to that.

 

She pulled away and began to cover Jeongyeon with the blue blanket. “Mama Jihyo?” Tzuyu suddenly called, standing on their left while rubbing her sleepy eyes, “Why did you kiss her?”

 

Park Jihyo smiled to the curious little puppy and then she urged her to walk to her, “Because I’ve also fallen in love with her,” she answered the girl honestly. She took the kid to her lap, sat beside her, and then wrapped themselves up with the same blanket. She took Jeongyeon’s hand to her own and rested her head to her perfect shoulder and began to hum a lullaby. Tzuyu fell asleep on her chest and soon she followed. The guardians along with the kids slept soundly under the calming weather of their Saturday afternoon and the roof of the supposed kindergarten.

 

-------

 

When Jeongyeon woke up, she was greeted by Jihyo on her shoulder, sleeping soundly. Soon after her, the kids slowly rose from their sleep. Jihyo asked them to behave while she talked to Jeongyeon. She explained to the girl that she had kissed her while she was sleeping – leaving her surprised with tinted red cheeks. “I’m reciprocating your feelings, Yoo Jeongyeon-ssi,” Jihyo simply stated.

 

Jeongyeon coughed awkwardly because her brain was still lagging to her situation, “Why?”

 

“Well, you’re also caring and sweet, and even though you kept on acting tough, you’re still a softie to them,” Jihyo chuckled, “You have a good personality and you are super kind.” The girl sighed and shook her head while grinning, “And who am I kidding? You’re so beautiful, sometimes I have to talk to myself that yes, you are real.” Joengyeon bit her lower lip as she grinned to her words. Her heart was as happy as her expression.

 

“So an actual date this coming Saturday?”

 

Jeongyeon gasped because it was Jihyo who asked her about their supposed actual date. “Just us for this time, I promise,” Jihyo added, looking all happy how Joengyeon was reacting to her. The tall beauty blinked her eyes before her head statically nodded, “Yes, absolutely yes,” she replied eagerly before taking her hand to her own.

 

Jihyo looked at her lovingly like how she looked at the seven ankle-biters, “I’ve fallen in love with you, too, Jeongyeon,” she confessed. Too, because she was sure that the blonde had already fallen in love with her.

 

-------

 

Saturday, Yoo Jeongyeon sniffled as she knead the dough on the working table. “Are you really crying over this, Jeongyeon?” Seungyeon asked as she judged the youngest with her state. “Yes,” the blonde sobbed. “Well, you ditched last Saturday so you deserve this,” her sister replied venomously. The girl was held hostage by her family due to her consecutive Saturday fiasco and cupcakes smuggling.

 

“I’ve been waiting for this date!” she cried back to her. “Whatever, Jeongyeon,” Seungyeon sighed before she left the youngest one to her own works. Jeongyeon quietly sniffled to her miserable state of missing the anticipated date with Jihyo – her agreed girlfriend. She was busy wiping her tears away when she heard a loud ruckus from outside. When she peeked her head over, she saw seven hyper kids entered their bakery, chanting Yoo Joengyeon on their way.

 

“Jeongyeon!” Nayeon beamed to her when she saw her head. She left the room and meet up with them. “Hey,” she greeted to her new and godly girlfriend. “I guess this is the curse that you meant on your confession text,” Jihyo joked, “We’ll keep you company for this time,” she stated while looking apologetic to her. Jeongyeon laughed and nodded to her girlfriend as she watched the kids looked to the baked goods with glistening eyes.

 

“God, I really love those seven nuisances of our love,” she muttered back to her with loving expression.

 

-------

End

-------

A/n: Seven days of continuous writing, I'm so proud that I finished this. Foreshadowed in 26, four year old Chaeyoung. This is my first one-shot fic, happy reading everyone~